New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Pass on what you have learned IC

After a walk of a little more than a half-hour from Suzail, you arrive at the main gate of the university, where you are greeted by a guard wearing a chain shirt and carrying a longsword and a truncheon at his belt. After verifying that your name is on his list, he gives you directions to dorm I.

Map of the campus:

You stand in front of a wide two-storied stone building. Walking left along the outer wall you pass an exquisitely ornamented three-storied building with a shimmering transparent roof. On every corner there is a small pedestal with a statue on it halfway up the wall and from the imagery you can deduce that this is a temple of Mystra. You turn left after the temple and between the chapel and the next building you catch a glimpse of a plastered place which featured the famous double-towers of the universities library on the north end and a fountain in the middle. In the fountain is a 30-foot-high realistic image of a brilliantly shimmering dragon fighting some kind of sword-wielding demon. The dragon is raking his claws across the demons chest and multicolored rays of light shoot out if its mouth to engulf the demon.

You stare fascinated at the image for a short while, then move on past another large octagonal building and see the dorm I in front of you on the left. You spot a door, walk towards it, and are greeted by a young man in blue robes and bright blue eyes. You walk down a hallway to a rather large common room featuring four tables with chairs and another small table surrounded by comfortable-looking sofas while he introduces himself.

"Hello and welcome to the Suzail University of Magic. I am Gorlon, one of the lab assistants. May I ask your name?"

He looks up your name in a list and selects a small key from a chest on the table.
    "Let me show you your room", he offers. You both walk down a hallway lighted by everburning torches at the wall. There are doors on both sides in regular intervals. You stop in front of one door. He opens it with the key. The room is about 20ft. by 20ft, with two windows on the opposite side. In front of each window is a desk and a chair, and on the left and right walls is a nice bed in a corner. Next to one bed is a door and a wardrobe. "This is your room. You can put your luggage here, then I show you the rest of the building. Through this door is the bathroom." He opens it, and you see a room about half the size of yours with a wooden bathtub and a laundry tub. "You share it with the room next door", he points to the door opposite the one you stand in, then takes you back to the common room. "This is the common room, the kitchen is through this door. You share it with 30 other people, so please use it responsibly. The kitchenware and dishes are property of the university. If there are any problems, please discuss them with your floor before taking them to the administration. You saw the dining hall on your way here, opposite the chapel. They serve three meals a day, which are already included in your fee. Breakfast is before class, lunch between noon and 2 pm. Dinner is in the evening between 6 and 8 pm. The chancellor will give a welcome speech at 3 pm in the large auditorium of the arcane college, the northernmost of the three big buildings, and tonight at 8 pm there will be a floor meeting at which you can get to know the other students and switch rooms if you want to. Do you have any questions? Anything pertaining to your studies will be explained to you tomorrow, there will be a note on the black board in the common room where you have to go."

Layout of the dorm:
    Last edited by Irrealist; 2008-05-30 at 09:46 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pass on what you have learned IC

Spoiler
    Show
    Confirming Spellgifted yes.

Emmis

Thirty minutes my foot. Emmis thought to himself. Well, I guess for the tall people it would be. They never do think of those of us with shorter legs.

As he walked up to the gate, Emmis was glad he hadn't shaved, as the last time he had, he'd been mistaken for a human child. Granted, it hadn't lasted long, a good swift talking to had actually left the lady apologizing, but Emmis had laughed it off. He'd taken advantage of it before, but today he needed to be recognized as an adult.

"Good day, sir. I'm Emmis Minas, and I'm here to begin at the college." Emmis says to the guard. After waiting the prerequisite time as the guard looked him over, "I'm a gnome, which is why I'm short." he answers the unasked question, before getting his directions to his dorm.

As he wandered in the general direction of the dorms, he stops for a moment at the entrance to the temple, sketching a bow towards it. Grant me you strength while I am here, Lady Mystra. he prays to himself, before continuing on, making sure to make a mental note to check in with them, see the layout of the church.

As he passes by the fountain, Emmis stops and lifts himself onto a nearby bench or onto the lip of the fountain itself to get a better look. "Oh wow. That's just awesome. I wonder how they got the illusion to hold so well. Someone must have spent hours studying the models to get the shades and glows just right. I have got to talk to whoever did that. Maybe they could even introduce me to the models!" Emmis hangs around the fountain for a few more minutes, looking at it from all sides, even jumping up a couple of times to try to get a look from a higher vantage point. Even if it was only a few inches higher point. Finally, he remembers that he was supposed to be going onto his dorm. The fountain would be here later for further study.

Several minutes after that realization, Emmis finally does manage to pull away and head for Dorm I. After introducing himself to the keyholder, Emmis keeps track of the lefts and rights they go as they walk towards the dorm rooms. "Slow down a bit, please." Emmis huffs, having to jog to keep up with Gorlon. "Your legs are almost as long as I am tall, and this pack is heavy. I'm having a hard time keeping up."

Once they get to the room, Emmis wastes no time slinging his pack down next to the wardrobe, before looking around. "No questions about the room, but can you tell me who made the fountain? I'd love to meet them, and the models for it."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irrealist View Post
    "Hello and welcome to the Suzail University of Magic. I am Gorlon, one of the lab assistants. May I ask your name?"
    Atan

"Atan Istaya," the elf said with a sidelong glance at his sister. The walk from their parent's lodgings in the city proper took considerably longer than he would have preferred, but then, Minya had never been able to keep up. The geas their father had laid on him prevented him from leaving her behind, or avoiding the school altogether. The hardest part was the stony stare she gave him the entire trip. She was still furious he had "driven" their parents to this extreme. The last thing she had actually said to him were bitter words about being "exiled" so far from home. That had given him pause. In the decades growing up together, Minya had had many good reasons to be angry with her brother. But the longest she had been able to keep up the silent treatment before had been a mere two weeks. It had been over a month now since she'd said a word to him directly.

He looks up your name in a list and selects a small key from a chest on the table.
    "Let me show you your room", he offers.
    "Sure, thanks," Atan replied. He gave Minya a weak smile before following after Gorlon.

"...Do you have any questions? Anything pertaining to your studies will be explained to you tomorrow, there will be a note on the black board in the common room where you have to go."
    As his Uncle Vanya had taught, Atan took in his surroundings as Gorlon showed him around. It at least kept his mind off the misery of being so far from the High Forest. Atan was so absorbed in his thoughts, he almost didn't hear the assistant's question. "Oh, uh, yeah. Is there a practice range anywhere?" he asked.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Gorlon apologizes to you for his oversight."It is impressive, isn't it? The dean of Illusions created it. Sculpting illusions is his hobby, and he has produced some very nice pieces, although they usually aren't permanent. He says that is an integral part of the art, something about the inherent ephemeralness of beauty. I take it you are an Illusionist, too? "

"An archery range, you mean? The guards and the weapons classes usually just go outside into the forest. More space and less chance of accidentally hitting someone. They have set up a range a few minutes from the employees gate." He looks a little uncertain. "Do you two want to room together? The floors are mixed, but mixed rooms are ... unusual?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

"Don't worry about it. I was told it was a thirty minute walk here, but they never thought about my short legs then, either. I figure I might as well get used to it. Or at least not get upset about it."

Emmis nods when questioned about his magic. "That's what I'm here for. I love illusions. You can make brand new things, or recreate things from history. They're grand. Does the dean of illusions teach classes to first years? I'd love to see how he teaches."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Smidge

Walking up to the college Smidge took in the sites again, even though he had been there several times the last few days 'procuring' a spot in the school the large buildings were still so strange looking to the killoren. Making his way to the gates he noticed that the guard he usually had to deal with was not at his post.
    Oh goody, a new person to toy with.

Changing his walk just a bit in order to add a rather comical looking swagger to his step he walked up to the gate. When the guard started to take a good look at Smidge's hair coloring he piped up.

"Don't you know tis quite rude to stare, sah." Smidge's comment as well as the strange accent that he spoke in seemed to startle the guard a bit, but with a professional aire returned to a usual placid expression and asked for Smidge's name.

"Don't suppose my name will be on the list, late registration ya know. Name's Smidge however so you might take a gander at your list anyhow."

His name indeed wasn't on the list and as such he was about to turn Smidge back, when yet again Smidge spoke up.

"I don't suppose good ole Barquad, or whatever his bonce calls himself is about, it might make the next few moments easy on yourself, sah."

As soon as Smidge mentioned the man's fellow guardsman he knew exactly what was going on, his brother Barclay had told him all about the person that stood in front of him. Wanting to avoid the kinds of things that had happened to his brother the guard gave the directions and waved Smidge through.

"Good show sah, well off I go to give the ole footpads a break and pay a visit to whats his face...Gorgon, or some such." Facing the guard Smidge gave a sharp salute and turned about still speaking up. "Chin up, chest out and all that, wot.

He already knew the way to the dorms and figured that he might as well take a gander around campus. On second thought, giving ole Gorgon a good what-fore seems the most appropriate thing to do right about now.

Upon entering the dorm he saw that Gorlon was not present to meet his arrival. "I suppose he heard I was coming and ran off, ole stiffback has no manners, no sah." His intended target not being where he expected Smidge decided to take a walk through the hall possibly to catch his adversary unawares. Rounding the corner Smidge spots Gorlon addressing Atan and his sister.

"An archery range, you mean? The guards and the weapons classes usually just go outside into the forest. More space and less chance of accidentally hitting someone. They have set up a range a few minutes from the employees gate."

"Do you two want to room together? The floors are mixed, but mixed rooms are ... unusual?"
    "Now now Gorgon, no need to get your feathers in a bundle I'll keep an eye on this whippersnapper, let the lady have her space and all, wot." Smidge made his way closer to the trio of people, Yah got to keep us outdoors types all in one place yah know, else we might get lost in these here buildings totally unnatural space, makes no sense, wot. Directing his attention to the two other students Smidge introduces himself, "Name's Smidge, by the by."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Weston

"Weston Fontane" the young man replies. His backpack full of odds and ends.

As he is shown the various rooms and places, he nods and makes mental notes. Upon noticing the alchemical labs and item creation buildings he takes special note of them. Maybe he could make use of the schools equipment to work on some of his projects.

He finally selects a room and sets down his bag of things. Alot of the things he brought would be reduntant in this place... but its always good to be prepared.

He waits till the 3 o'clock speech in the auditorium.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Azurous

Azurous marched up to the gate, showing no signs of tiring despite having been walking since dawn. Approaching the guard he notes that he gets the “usual” look, going first to his odd hair, but moving on unusually quickly, them moving to the ferret about his neck.
    He must thinks I’m barely old enough to be out alone, even if I am probably as old as he is.
    After getting directions to the dorm he makes his way with his customary determined walk, pausing only to admire the dragon-image and the spell work it must have required. Coming to the dorm he sees a young man looking as if he had just escaped a minor tragedy.

"Azurous, son of Merithra and Nihil" he said, once again regretting that there was no family name.

"Let me show you your room", he offers.
    During the tour Azurous got the impression that this task had been repeated to often recently and was beginning to wear at Gorlon’s nerves. He did seem to be making an effort to hide it however and Azurous found himself liking the man.

"Do you have any questions? Anything pertaining to your studies will be explained to you tomorrow, there will be a note on the black board in the common room where you have to go."
    "No I think that covers all I need to know. Thank you for the tour, I hope to see you around.” he said smiling. Returning to his new, or at least current, room Azurous sat down on the bed to relax.

Two hours for a meal. How could anyone need two hours for a meal! Still more time to practise I suppose. As he layback thoughts seemed to appear in his mind. Not in any language ever used but coherent and with meaning. A rough translations would be “Scrya go scout?” A smile spread across his face as Azurous replied, in the same fashion, “Ok but no intruding and no deliberate spying, we are among friends.” Never one to waste time Scrya scampered off to explore. In a few hours a mental map would have formed showing Azurous the layout of the complex.

“Well guess I should go meet my peers.”
    1: Dragon wings are cool
    2: Colour coded dragons is illogical and hypocritical
    3: An angels wings are whatever shape the angel pleases
    4: Ever heard of a "fallen" demon?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya

After a walk of a little more than a half-hour from Suzail, you arrive at the main gate of the university, where you are greeted by a guard wearing a chain shirt and carrying a longsword and a truncheon at his belt. After verifying that your name is on his list, he gives you directions to dorm I.
    Minya arrived at the gate red-faced and puffing. She stubbornly ignored Atan's offers to help carry her things as she strode forward. She was angry. Angry that his legs were longer and she could never keep up. Angry that his back was stronger and she could barely carry her own bags. Angry that she had been ripped away from Waterdeep to attend this teeny tiny unimportant brand new never even heard of before upstart school in the wilderness. She was also tired, hungry, and sweaty, and it was barely after breakfast. This day was going just as badly as she expected and it was All His Fault, As Usual. Part of her wanted to walk as slowly as elvishly possible, just to annoy Atan, but part of her wanted to outrun him and make him struggle to catch up, as impossible a dream as that was.

Minya mopped her face gently with a lace handkerchief, and then smiled her thanks to the guard for his directions. Hoisting her bag back up with a snarl for her brother, she marched up towards the dorm. She stopped dead when the fountain came into view, ignoring the muffled curse from behind her as Atan avoided running her over. With loud thumps, her bags dropped unnoticed to the ground and she stared at the architecture. "How did they build that?, she muttered in Draconic, forgetting that she wasn't speaking to her brother. "Perhaps this place won't be such a total waste of my time after all..." Taking a deep breath for energy, she picked up her bags again and continued towards the dorm, moving much slower as she looked about at the sights.

You spot a door, walk towards it, and are greeted by a young man in blue robes and bright blue eyes. You walk down a hallway to a rather large common room featuring four tables with chairs and another small table surrounded by comfortable-looking sofas while he introduces himself.

Minya looked happily around the room, her eyes picking out a corner of one of the sofas which appeared perfect for nestling into with a good book. This room had promise. Realizing that her brother had finally stopped nattering on about archery ranges, she smiled at Gorlon and said, "My name is Minya Istaya."

[Gorlon] looks a little uncertain. "Do you two want to room together? The floors are mixed, but mixed rooms are ... unusual?"
    "No, thank you," Minya said stiffly, ignoring her brother. "I would be happy to share a room, but not with Atan. My parents have not imposed that burden upon me."

"Do you have any questions? "
    "This dorm is very nice, Gorlon. Where does the senior student live? Are you he, or will someone else be in charge of the building? Or will there be someone from the faculty living here? Also, what are the rules on library use?"

Quote Originally Posted by Trulhammaren View Post
    "Now now Gorgon, no need to get your feathers in a bundle I'll keep an eye on this whippersnapper, let the lady have her space and all, wot." Smidge made his way closer to the trio of people, Yah got to keep us outdoors types all in one place yah know, else we might get lost in these here buildings totally unnatural space, makes no sense, wot. Directing his attention to the two other students Smidge introduces himself, "Name's Smidge, by the by."
    Minya looked him up and down, and then turned back to Gorlon, "How secure is the building?" Waiting for his answer, she muttered to her brother, "The LEFT one, Atan."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Leaving his father's stables behind was freedom. The main gate of the university, rearing up higher as he approached, was heaven. I'm going to have to work to keep my scholarship every year... that means I'm going to have to be better than the best and brightest. Tasks don't grow small around here. He stood before the gate and nodded to the guard, "Liam Robartson. " The guard checked his list and nodded. "Just go in, turn right at the mundane college, left between the temple of Mystra and the dining hall. Jog a bit to the right and go between the College of Universal Magic and Dorm III, and you will see Dorm I ahead, and to the right." Liam nodded, "Thank you for your assistance." He hastened to follow the directions, and walked toward what seems to be the main door of Dorm I. A young man in blue robes, with bright blue eyes stepped forward as he approached. "Hello and welcome to the Suzail University of Magic. I am Gorlon, one of the lab assistants. May I ask your name?" Liam smiled and nodded, "Liam Robartson." Gorlon looked at a list in his hand and took a key from a chest on the table. "Let me show you your room." Liam followed the young man, walking down the torch-lit hallway. Stopping in front of a door, Gorlon opened it with the key. Gorlon said, "This is your room. You can put your luggage here, then I show you the rest of the building. Through that door is the bathroom. You share it with the room next door." Liam followed Gorlon back to the common room, watching and listening. "This is the common room, the kitchen is through this door. You share it with 30 other people, so please use it responsibly. The kitchenware and dishes are property of the university. If there are any problems, please discuss them with your floor before taking them to the administration. You saw the dining hall on your way here, opposite the chapel. They serve three meals a day, which are already included in your fee. Breakfast is before class, lunch between noon and 2 pm. Dinner is in the evening between 6 and 8 pm. The chancellor will give a welcome speech at 3 pm in the large auditorium of the arcane college, the northernmost of the three big buildings, and tonight at 8 pm there will be a floor meeting at which you can get to know the other students and switch rooms if you want to. Do you have any questions? Anything pertaining to your studies will be explained to you tomorrow, there will be a note on the black board in the common room where you have to go." Liam chuckled, "How many times have you repeated that speech today?" Gorlon smiled and shrugged, "Too many, welcome to the University." Liam looked around, "It looks impressive... I hope I can give it the same impression that it gives me." Gorlon raised an eyebrow speculatively, "Only time will tell, but I hope you fare well, Liam." Liam smiled, "Thank you!"
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-05-24 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Epimetheus...
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

11. - Top - End - #11

Atan

Shocked speechless by his sister's first words directly to him in a month, Atan's jaw dropped slightly even as his left hand dropped to the ornate leather knife sheath at his left side. There was a matching sheath on the right as well. Uncertain as to what exactly had provoked Minya, his eyes shifted from Minya to the fey who had seemingly come out of nowhere. As his sister waited, he glanced at Gorlon, then turned slightly to the fey and asked, "I'm sorry. Did you say something?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trahone

Walking up to a gate is a sight that no ones expects for an arcane college. A shorter than normal human in green fatigues and leather armor carrying a spear approaches the gate. He has a backpack but it seems fairly light compared to the other students arriving. The guard takes a long look at him before asking his name and business.

"Ah. Yes. My name is Trahone Korth. I am from the 23rd division of the Dalelands army. I am hear to train to become a greater asset." Trahone gathers himself to attention and gives the guard a shrt salute. The guard is about to ask if he is at the right school when he spots his name on the list. He then lets him in and tells him where to go. Just before Trahone goes through the gates, the guard suggests that he only says his name to others if he wants to fit in better. "Thank you for the advice."

Trahone wanders through the campus. He passes by the chapel with little interest. But the fountain catches his eye immediately. The battle scene appears so life like that he almost believes it to be real. Battle. Fight for survival. Using tactics to surprise the enemy and give yourself the advantage. If the lessons will be similar to this scene, then I think I might be able to survive. He tears himself away from watching the fountain to go in search of his dormitory.

Finding the building, Trahone meets Gorlon in the common room. "My name is Trahone Korth. I am from ... Dalelands and hoping ... to learn ... more about my talents." Gorlon looks at him and notices his appearance and shakes his head. He then finds his name and takes him to his floor. After listening to all the information given, he shakes his head and says "No questions about the rooms necessarily. However, could you tell me who is on my floor? I know that I will meet them tonight but I like to get to know my fellow floormates beforehand. Maybe introduce to a few students who have already arrived?"
    Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."

Thank you Caracol for my avatar.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

Wandering out of his room, intent on something else, Emmis starts at the others. The small gnome's light blue eyes touch upon everyone quickly. "Oh, hi. I'm Emmis." He looks at the others. "And there's nothing unnatural about a building. Well, unless it's an illusion that you don't see through. Then it's not really a building I guess. But anyways. How are you all?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Farewell, father," Emilius said softly as his father walked off into the distance, going out on another one of his soon-to-be-famous travels. He quickly collected himself and headed towards the gate. The guard at the gate greeted him and asked for his name.

"Emilius Fae, son of the great Francilus Fae," Emilius responded proudly. The guard seemed puzzled at the mention of some "great" man he's never even heard of before, but nevertheless proceeded to look up Emilius' name. found his name and let him in, giving him directions to the dormitory. Emilius marvelled at the two library towers and the amazing illousion in the fountain, but didn't dawdle too long. He made it to the dorms in about 40 minutes.

Emilius profoundly announced his name, as he did with the guard. The lab assitant nodded and led Emilius to his room. Upon seeing the windows, he thought to himself: Great. Perfect for letting Fury out whenever he wants too. The two continued with the tour of the dormitory. As the assistant gave him dates and times of specific things, Emilius quickly tried to commit them to memory to no avail. After asking the assistant to repeat himself two or three times, he ended up writing all of the information down. Having no questions for Gorlon, he headed back to his room, let Fury out, and finished unpacking his things.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam finishes unpacking his stuff, unconcerned about which room he is assigned. He goes into the bathroom and freshens up, then steps out into the hallway and walks down to the common room. Might as well wait there until lunch, since the Chancellor's speech is directly after... this would be a good time and place to greet my fellow classmates for our cohort of the university. I wonder if we'll all graduate together, or if some will fall on the wayside. He enters the empty common room and seats himself at a table. He opens a basic textbook on conjuration and begins perusing it. I know so many aspects of magic, but so little about the mundane; beyond the stableyard anyway... and so much of it is intertwined.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-05-24 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Epimetheus...
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Aarenil Wyche

Aarenil approaches the gates, hand on his sword pommel, the other in the strap of his backpack, just in time to see a man with a spear head inside. He greets the guard with a smile and a salute. "Hello there friend, I hope that I have not arrived late. I am Aarenil Wyche, son of Estrianna and David Wyche. How do you do this fine day?"

After exchanging pleasantries with the guard and thanking him for the directions, Aarenil allows himself to be lead inside. He whistles upon seeing the statue and blows an errant lock of blonde hair out of his face as he looks up, but pays it less attention than did his comrades. Rather, he looks about at where people are gathering or would gather and tries to find suitable practice space, both for his sword and his books. As he reaches the dorms, he feels a swell of pride. Maybe my father once entered these very doors. He takes only a moment to appreciate that before entering the dorm.

Aarenil grins, teeth showing. "Hello, Gorlon. I am Aarenil Wyche, son of Estrianna and David Wyche. I believe my father attended this fine school in his younger years." As he listens to Gorlon's speech, he nods and occasionally replies in the affirmative. "I will look forward to the meetings! I have only one simple question: Where is the library? I fear I may be spending a large amount of time there."

When Gorlon has showed him his room, he carefully places his bag upon his bed and begings unloading his meager number of possessions, save those he keeps in the bag for emergency purposes. Thanks, mom. And then he goes about introducing himself to the others. (If he sees her,) He first begins with Minya. He approaches her smiling, and takes a deep bow, blowing the fallen lock out of his face as he rises. "Hello, my lady, it is a fine morning to begin a new day, is it not?"
    Last edited by OneFamiliarFace; 2008-05-24 at 09:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trahone

In his room, Trahone unpacks his limited supplies. He puts his armor and weapons away in his closet. No reason to have those one me. After a brief pause, he reconsiders and keeps his dagger on him but out of sight. But wariness can keep a man alive.

Once he is finished, Trahone leaves his room and finds a group of students in the hallway. He reaches the group in time to hear the gnome state his name. "Illusions, huh? Other than they have many uses, I do not know much about them. I did enjoy the fountain illusion as I made my way here. How about you? My name is Trahone, by the way, from Dalelands. The hike from town invigorated me, reminded me a little of home." He offers his hand to the gnome.
    Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

The gnome nods, grinning as he shakes Trahone's hand. "Beautiful work. Apparently, the dean of illusions created it. I'm hoping that I get to meet him and learn from him. He looks to be a master. I'm from the Green Hills in the Heartlands, by the way. Father sent me here when he heard about this school opening, and saw how adept I was with our own little abilities."
    Last edited by Lochar; 2008-05-24 at 09:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trahone

"You fancy illusions to be your specialty? Very interesting. I have no idea what I am talented with. All I know is that weird things have happened to me in the past. Then one of my commanding officers told me that it was magic. He then asked if I want to learn more. I decided that I would be a better asset to my squad if I did learn more. So he pulled a few strings and I was able to come here." Pausing, Trahone realized that he just told everyone that he was from the army. Idiot. I am an idiot. I was warned not to mention that. A worried expression appears on his face.

20. - Top - End - #20

Lirt

Struggling undedr the weight of his pack the halfling trudges up to the Gate. As he approaches the guard he sets his bulging pack down with a clink of glass and crockey. Good morning sir. I'm supposed to report here for schooling. I believe this is the college of magic?
    -----------------
    After being shown the way he trudges up into the building and meets the lab assistant. Well met isr, sorry I am late. My parents loaded me down with more junk than I may need but, you know how parents can be. He follows Gorlon through the tour and into his room where he gingerly sets his pack down. He then shrugs off the weight and rolls his shoulders around a little. He then follows the assistant through the tour comments on the quality of the facilities and accomodations. Once finished he returns to his room and carefully packs away his gear. He double checks his portable brewery and stows it for later. Washing his face and hands from road dust, he quickly changes into cleaner clothes and sets the traveling clothes out to wash them later.
    ------------------

Stepping out into the hallway to explore a little more on his own he approaches the knot of students and says cheerily Afternoon everyone. I see that we are all new here. I'm Lirt Lagerhome, of the family that makes the Lagerhome Brew.

Catching the drift of the conversation It was a very nice fountain, too bad about it not being real. Water like that makes for some realy fine beers.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Leaving his room much as he found it Azurous enters the corridor to see a group of people he assumes are students. Walking towards them he overhears that one of them seems to be from the military. Nice to have someone else around that knows what to do in a fight, not that we should need it.

Catching the topic of the conversation he says politely “The fountain is indeed a master peace, however I myself am more interested in the spell work that created it than the art itself. I have seen much of dragons.” He shrugs almost apologetically.

Deciding it would be best to have an extra pair of ears Azurous calls out for his familiar, fortunately scrya was still in the dorm and quickly returned, climbing to his customary place about his masters neck.
    1: Dragon wings are cool
    2: Colour coded dragons is illogical and hypocritical
    3: An angels wings are whatever shape the angel pleases
    4: Ever heard of a "fallen" demon?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Aarenil Wyche

Though Aarenil tries to pay attention to what the others are saying, he can clearly see that Minya is not happy, and does not think anyone should be so on their first day at school, so he engages her in conversation. He notes to anyone who approaches him that he feels that though he knows a fair amount concerning the magical arts, he has yet to really practice any of it, but he is ready to get started.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Interesting, he thinks as he reads his book and half-listens to the conversation in the corridor outside. We have a common room, and most of our cohort prefers to meet in the hallway. He chuckles slightly to himself. Perhaps when lunch is served that will change.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

Done talking to the others for the moment, Emmis nods to them and wanders out of the dorm room.

He goes to the temple to pay his respects, before going to the fountain again and sitting there, watching it and taking notes on the illusion.

25. - Top - End - #25

Lirt

The small slighty beer smelling halfling says Well looks like we have some time to kill. Anyone up to go wander the grounds and explore a little bit? I want to get a feel for this place before we get to much going on. Lirt waits a moment for a response then heads outside wether or not anyone is with him.

He goes outside and marks his place on the grounds in relation to the other buildings well. It was never wise to get lost, especially in regards to where you sleep. He begins to wander the grounds meeting the employees and mages, looking at the buildings and getting a good feel for where everything is before the next
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Weston

After getting his things in order, Weston checks the time and decides to explore the grounds for a while. Not quite sure why the school put off the welcoming speech until so late in the day, he figures he might as well kill some time making sure he knows where everything is.

"I just hope our classes aren't this far-between." he says to himself. "I'm paying enough for this schooling I should at least get something from the staff here."

He walks by the illusion again, frowning a little as he looks at it. "Hmp. An illusion? Why can't they just make statues like normal people?" Despite his frown he has to admit that its a good illusion... captures the moment nicely. But making images out of... well... nothing more than an image just grates on him for some reason.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trahone

"I might explore the grounds in a little while. But for now, I wonder if there is anything to drink in our lounge." Trahone leaves the group in the hallway and heads to the common room. He stops by his room to pick up his mug. He then wanders into the kitchen to and finds that the only thing available to drink is water. Better than nothing, I guess. He fills his mug and wanders through the door to check out the lounge. Startled by the presence of a student already there, Trahone spills a little bit of his drink onto the floor. "Oh. Hello. I did not think that anyone else was in here. My name is Trahone." He approaches closer to the man sitting at the table to offer his hand. "What are you reading?" He asks and then takes a sip from his mug.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

The man who is reading here looks up and smiles, "Hello, my name is Liam." He sets the book aside and stands, holding out his hand and giving Trahone's a firm shake. He gestures to another seat at the table, "Please join me. I thought I'd get some reading in on Basic Conjuration while I was waiting for lunch, and consequently also get a chance to meet some of my fellow students before Lorelion's meeting." He resumes his seat, "So, are you from around here, or did you travel to join the University?"
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-05-26 at 12:34 AM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trahone

Taking the offered seat, Trahone responds, "Conjuration? Is that your specialty?" After taking another sip, "I am trying to get to know some others as well. And no, I from Dalelands. How about yourself?" First illusion. Now conjuration. I do not even know what I am capable of. I wonder if I am truly cut out for this place. A worried look comes and goes from his face, as Trahone takes another sip.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam chuckles and shakes his head, "No, no specialty... yet anyway. All magic fascinates me. I suppose I've accumulated as much arcane knowledge as any beginning generalist might know at this point, but no one area has called to me yet." He looks thoughtful for a moment, "That's good though, don't most specialists have to give up certain schools of magic to focus on their speciality? I can't imagine wanting to give up any of them." He leans back in his chair, "What is it that draws you to magic - or what magic do you draw to yourself?" He looks at you with frank and curious interest. I wonder what I said to draw such a sour expression from him... he looks like I feel when I'm about to take a test that I'm not sure I studied enough for.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-05-25 at 11:58 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald