New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron: The Secrets of War Group A IC

Gabe

Gabe sees Arturo stab the thug with the club and thinks, Okay, apparently he's not completely useless.He quickly moves closer to the group of thugs and throws his dart at the one attacking Fierna

Spoiler
    Show
    attack - (1d20+3)[4] penalty for firing into mele already applied.
    damage - (1d3-1)[1]
    move to H28
    Last edited by Hyozo; 2008-09-06 at 04:55 PM.
    Avatar by Vulion. Vectored by me.

2. - Top - End - #92

Garome

Garome hisses as the thugs tumble past him, but there is little he can do as he clutches at his latest wound. "This'll probably be another scar," he mumbles to himself, before resiting a short prayer in druidic.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting cure light wounds on self:
    (1d8+2)[7]

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fierna
    HP 18/18 ,AC 16

Fierna sighs as she drops her crossbow Aaaand here comes the painful part... and reaches for her mace as the bruising appraches, swinging it upwards towards it's face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack:(1d20+2)[12]
    Damage:(1d6+1)[7]
    Last edited by Madmal; 2008-09-07 at 10:02 PM.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by radikalskippy
    But I must say the Izzet bunch are as crazy as a rabid goat with a rat biting its tail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    *ahem* *picks up megaphone*
    Attention everyone! Mal absolutly rocks!

Mal, I name you Fangirlfreind. Whenever you are in aid, call and we shall answer.
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...alpromteal.png

4. - Top - End - #94

Aelton stamps his foot and in a great feat of concentration finally manages to get his wand to work. A single sphere of light bursts from the tip and flies to smack into the skirmisher that Zalivane just engaged, dropping them man with a sizzling wound in his chest. Far from being please with this though, Aelton stares in disbelief at the stick in his hands and starts to sputter.

"Wh-wh-what?! That thief of a merchant said that it would fire three missles! I was cheated!"

While Aelton is complaining to no one Garome concentrates on the forces all around him and heals most of the wound that the thug dealt to him.

Pex had gone into the alley, a damp and cool place, so that he could escape the danger out in the street and didn't question his good luck, not that scorpion's have any concept of it, when a large yelling piece of food walked out from the damp and cool place to stop right in front of him. Pex strikes swiftly, and after disemboweling the man settles deeper into the alley to feed on his new prize.

Zalivane moves towards his next victim and though he tries to trip the skirmisher in front of him up the man is able to hop over the chains. After triumphantly skewering the thug beside him Arturo expertly runs out from the muck and back towards the party. Like any good knight Mortimus steps up beside Fierna to defend her and sends a brutal slash that bites deeply into thug's hip. The man totters on one leg, giving you a scream of pain before righting himself.

In an overenthusiastic move Gabe runs around the main body of combat and wildly throws a dart into the melee, expertly transfixing a hapless earthworm into the pavement. Fierna squares herself against the attacking thug again and tries to finish what Mortimus started, but the thug just barely manages to knock her mace out of line.

The two men to the north sprint down the street. One of them catches a patch of mud exactly the wrong way and falls flat on his stomach, the air whooshing out of him. The other charges at Zalivane, winding up for a clubbing blow with his weapon (Zalivane gets an AoO against the thug clubber at K7). More thundering footsteps announce the arrival of two more thugs from the east, who look around frantically before turning to the south to see their leader in danger.

The skirmisher facing Zalivane uses the club wielders charge to distance himself from the drow, moving back into the street. As he passes the fallen thug he gives him a kick, "Get up yeh idiot!" The second skirmisher tries to get Gabe in his sights but the halfling moves to quickly for him and his quarrel skips off the pavement.

The leader though starts to curse like a dockhand as he steps up to challenge Mortimus. His strike is expertly parried by the knight and in desperation he yells out, "Khyber's Gates would y'all fight like ya had a pair? Get down 'ere an' back us up!"

The lone thug bruiser, bleeding badly from his hip also attacks Mortimus, and spurred on by his leader's words manages to strike the knight on his upper arm before taking a step back from the combat.

Terrain
    The gutters and alleyways are lined with slippery muck, and on the street there are more than a few deposits that have yet to wash away. Moving over the gray squares costs double regular movement, but if you try to move at your full speed over them you must succeed at a DC 10 Balance check or fall prone.

Battle Map

Initiative, HP and Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    21- Thug Skirmishers 4/4 G12, 2/4 H5
    20 - Thug Leader 22/22 I29
    19- Thug Bruiser 1/9 J30
    19- Aelton 22/22 K27
    18- Garome 13/16 L30
    18- Pex 13/13 E18, Feeding
    15- Zalivane 15/15
    14- Arturo 17/20 L29
    14- Mortimus 16/22 I28
    11- Gabe 16/16 H27
    11- Fierna 18/18 J28
    8- Thug Clubbers 4/4 I4 Prone, 4/4 K7, 4/4 L14, 4/4 K15
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #95
    Halfling in the Playground

Arturo
    HP: 17/20 - AC: 16

Chuckling as the halfling's dagger manages to expertly skewer a worm and none of their enemies, Arturo moves in to try and skewer another thug for the both of them.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to K30

Balance Check - (1d20+6)[10]

Attack the Thug at J30.

Attack - (1d20+7)[21]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[3]

Note that if he moves, but is still in my range of movement, I will still pursue and attempt to stab him.

Last edited by Hlaine Larkin; 2008-09-08 at 11:59 AM.
    RIP Richard Wright: 1943 - 2008

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Mortimus

Feeling the pain from the wound as the thug attacked him and retreated, Mortimus shot him an angry glare, but only for a second. He had bigger problems on him at the moment. Turning to the thug leader, Mortimus uses his anger from the other man's attack to press the attack on the leader.

Spoiler
    Show

attack: (1d20+8)[10]
    damage: (2d6+4)[12]
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

7. - Top - End - #97

Gabe

Gabe Takes a risk and moves straight past the thug leader, hoping to get to a more advantageous position. Seeing that the drunken oaf has one of the thugs (hopefully) under control, Gabe stabs at the distracted leader.

Spoiler
    Show
    move to H30, provoking an AOO from the leader. Gabe and Fierna are now flanking the leader.

dagger attack - (1d20+3)[19] Flanking bonus applied.
    damage - (1d3-1)[1]
    sneak attack - (1d6)[4]
    Last edited by Hyozo; 2008-09-08 at 07:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98

Fierna

Still a little shocked from the sudden intermission, she staggers a little, regains her balance, and thrusts her mace towards the nearest target. (thug leader.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack:(1d20+4)[8]
    Damage:(1d6+1)[5]

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show
    But I must say the Izzet bunch are as crazy as a rabid goat with a rat biting its tail.

Mal, I name you Fangirlfreind. Whenever you are in aid, call and we shall answer.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zalivane
    "Get out of my way."

Zalivane readies his sword against the incoming thug... and just as he comes within range, he lunges forward, hoping to run the thug through.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry I don't have too much creativity this post. >.

10. - Top - End - #100

Garome

Garome grimaces at his situation. Without the help of Ranashee, he just hasn't been able to fight effectively. He mutters another druid prayer in hopes of helping his spear find his targets' hearts.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Guidance on himself.

*shrug*

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

yuk Re: Eberron: The Secrets of War Group A IC

Zalivane

Spoiler
    Show

I realize that among other things, I made neither my actions nor my rolls.
    That was my mistake.

Zalivane's blackened broadsword slowly rises to be almost level at his head, leveling it straight against the approaching thug. The sword was heavy, yes, and the strain on his arms was considerable; Zalivane's Drow heritage held disdain for such a cumbersome, unelegant - and unstealthy - weapon.
    It was in some ways, that very drive that made him use it; the way if felt, the way it made him stand out.

It was also very, very, heavy.

Clarity returns as the thug approaches. Swinging for the bleachers, Zalivane winds up...

Spoiler
    Show

(d20)[2] +3 - Broadsword AoO

"Comrades, methinks this is in our favor. Would the exceptionally limber fighter be so kind as to subdue the leader... "

Zalivane throws his Xen'Drik boomerang at the grunt in H5.
    (d20)[19]+4
    "Despite my polite lines of inquiry, they refuse to answer my questions."

12. - Top - End - #102

Heaving a great sigh Aelton sights along the wand at the wounded crossbow wielder further up the street.

"Oh well, best to make the most of a low quality tool."

Another flash of light erupts out of the wand and sizzles into the prone thug's head, ending his thrashing.

Garome whispers to himself, hoping that he can impart some luck for himself on his next action. Pex continues to slice his mandibles into his meal's innards. As the thug charges at him Zalivane whirls his scorpion chain and slashes the man across the chest, sending him spinning into the ground. Keeping the chain in one hand Zenatos slips out his boomerang and throws it in a wide arc. The thug skirmisher sees it fly behind him and gives the drow a gap-toothed grin.

"Missed me yah dumb-"

The boomerang whips around and cracks the back of his skull, and still with the grin on his face the thug topples.

Stepping into a patch of muck Arturo boosts his kill count with a quick flick of his rapier into the thug's unwounded side. As the lone thug backing up the leader falls Mortimus, Gabe and Fierna all pounce on the big man. With a dizzying amount of skill he manages to parry the blows from Fierna and Mortimus. In between blocks he tries to stab downwards at Gabe but is too off balance from his frantic defense and leaves himself open to the halfling's dagger, which slides into his back just below the liver.

The thug at Zalivane's feet groans from his back and tries a feeble swat with his club that the drow doesn't even have to move to avoid. The other two thug clubbers race at the party, heedless of the muck underfoot. Unfortunately, their zeal causes one of them to fall face first into the muck, the brown-gray sludge thankfully swallowing his curses. The other one manages to keep his footing and lands a blow on Aelton's wand arm.

"Gah!" the professor shrieks, "I've been hit!"

The lone skirmisher loads up again and fires a bolt at Mortimus, but it glances off of a pauldron. The leader starts to look a little scared and begins backing up towards the building. As he steps back he manages to score another blow against Mortimus.

"Gods blast it!"

Aelton backs up from the thug, cradling his wand arm and fails to blast the thug when he brandishes it with his other arm.

Terrain
    The gutters and alleyways are lined with slippery muck, and on the street there are more than a few deposits that have yet to wash away. Moving over the gray squares costs double regular movement, but if you try to move at your full speed over them you must succeed at a DC 10 Balance check or fall prone.

Battle Map

Spoiler
    Show
    21- Thug Skirmishers 4/4 G12
    20 - Thug Leader 17/22 H29
    19- Aelton 18/22 K27
    18- Garome 13/16 L30
    15- Zalivane 15/15 I5
    14- Arturo 13/20 K30
    14- Mortimus 13/22 I28
    11- Gabe 16/16 H30
    11- Fierna 18/18 J28
    8- Thug Clubbers 4/4 I4 PRONE, 4/4 J22 PRONE, 4/4 K26
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-09-11 at 12:53 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103

Arturo

"Don't worry half-ear! Arturo Haus, protector of the... protection-less... is on his way!" Arturo slurs, running to put himself between Aelton and the attacking thug.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to K27.

Provoke AoO.

Attack - (1d20+7)[25]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[5]

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Mortimus

Your not going any where he growls at the thug leader.

Chasing after him, Mortimus presses his attack, flanking the thug with Gabe.

Spoiler
    Show

5 ft step to H28.
    attack: (1d20+10)[25]
    damage: (2d6+4)[10]

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show

you mislabeled the thug leader's position.

This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

15. - Top - End - #105

Garome

Lifting his spear, the tribal halfling sidesteps forward and launches the spear toward one of the thugs on the ground, hoping to help keep the ambusher from rejoining the fight.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Action: Move to N28
    Attack: To Hit - (1d20+4)[10] (-2 due to range, +1 from Guidance)
    Damage - (1d4-1)[2]

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zalivane
    Reflex save to catch my returning boomerang as a free action: (d20)[15]+1 DC 10

After berating his scorpion, Zalivane begins a 'tactical jog' towards the final thug in his range. He quickly pops the cork on a small vial of traditional Drow knockout poison, and smears it across the barbs of his Scorpion Chain. With the extra momentum gained with his 'tactical jog', Zalivane jumps into the air, and comes down a-swingin'....

[spoiler]
    5% Chance to poison myself for a DC 14 against unconsciousness...
    (d100)[34]

Attack roll with Drow Scorpion Chain
    (d20)[17]+4

Whoops. Accidentally rolled two attacks.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Phantom.exe; 2008-09-11 at 08:13 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Gabe

Gabe almost smiles when he sees that Mortimus thinks tactically as well, and attempts to stab the leader yet again.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack - (1d20+3)[21]
    damage - (1d3-1)[1]
    sneak attack - (1d6)[2]

18. - Top - End - #108

Fierna

Fiernas clenches her teeth at her failure, and chases after the leader.Letting out a forceful groan, she takes a swing at him, using both hands.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to I29
    Balance:(1d20+3)[14]
    Attack:(1d20+2)[19]
    Damage:(1d6+2)[8]

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109

Garome starts his group's business by throwing his short spear at the man who just clubbed Aelton, but his aim is put off by trying to shift on his clubbed foot and the throw misses by a foot. In the alleyway Pex finishes off the entrails and moves back to the entrance to see if the danger has passed.

Zalivane slathers his people's specialty poison over his chain and with a fantastic leap manages to score a wound along the crossbow wielder's arm. He look at the wound, at Zalivane and says, "Bloody hell..." before passing out. Back down the street Arturo drunkenly leans away from the clubber's blow as he advances and with a quick jerk stabs his opponent clean through with his rapier.

The thug leader tries in vain to keep all three of Gabe, Mortimus and Fierna at bay but his foot catches on a cobblestone and from his tilted back perspective he can't do anything but watch as all three weapons slam home. Moritmus' huge blade cuts him right beneath the ribs while Gabe's knife cuts out his instep, and to end the onslaught Fierna's mace crashes into the side of his skull with a sickening crack, sending the man sprawling into the ground in an insensate heap.

Seeing his leader fall the last of the club wielding men scrambles up from where he fell and starts legging it towards the nearby alley.

"It weren't personal! I just did what 'e tol' me to!" he shouts out in terror at the party.

The leader is breathing shallowly but is slowly bleeding out on the ground. Aelton looks at the fleeing man and puts away his wand.

"The terrible things that desperate men do," the half-elf shakes his head, and after pulling up his sleeve to stare at his bruised arm, he touches his belt and speaks a word, "Vaerysi." the color returns to normal and the professor clenches his fist a few times before nodding to himself and rolling his sleeve back down.

"Good as new."

Terrain

Battle Map

Spoiler
    Show
    21- Thug Skirmishers 4/4 Unconscious G12
    20 - Thug Leader -4/22 Dying H29
    19- Aelton 22/22 K27
    18- Garome 13/16 L30
    15- Zalivane 15/15 I5
    14- Arturo 13/20 K30
    14- Mortimus 13/22 I28
    11- Gabe 16/16 H30
    11- Fierna 18/18 J28
    8- Thug Clubber 4/4 J22

All right, the combat is effectively over unless you really want to kill that street thug. Now, things are up to you all to decide.
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-09-13 at 12:11 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110

Arturo

With a triumphant nod of his head, Arturo immediately sheathes his blades, taking stock of the scene around him.

Then his eyes land on Aelton. "YOU! You've got some explaining to do!" he yells at the half-elf, stomping towards the frail, robed figure, Arturo's index finger pointing menacingly at him.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Mortimus

He will slowly walk over to the last thug, his blade still drawn. He will look him over calmly before speaking to him.

Who do you mean by him? he demanded. Talk! Or there won't be enough of you left to get home!

I will lift up my sword to make my point clear.

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate: (1d20+1)[19]

Spoiler
    Show

Ready action to stab him through if he even tries to swing his weapon, or charge me.
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2008-09-13 at 01:18 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zalivane

"The leader..."

Taking careful note to make sure he does not prick himself or touch the poison with the scorpion chain, the Drow slides the now-unconscious crossbowman over slightly before rushing to the leader.

"He is nothing more than a cowardly muscle-for-hire... I assume. Surely, xiph'el, in your "travels" in Stormreach, you were never accosted by such enemies?"

"Anyone with a mind knows to trust as few people as possible when orchestrating a plan. Even when shipping crates of innocuous Keldran Eggshells, one must use discretion."

"Now, quickly. Someone help me stabilize the leader. My assumption is that he will have additional information as to our assailants. Oh, and I place a reserve on his 'loot'."

Spoiler
    Show

First Aid to stabilize dying Thug Leader (?) (d20)[19]+1
    Boy, I sure hope someone tries to Aid Another...

23. - Top - End - #113

Aelton, just a moment ago seemingly confident in his abilities starts to tremble under Arturo's drunken glare.

"I-I-I-I I don't know what's going on, wasn't this a random mugging?" he gives you an odd look as if this is something that happens all the time.

The man heading to the alley throws down his club and waves his hands above his head in abject surrender.

"Tha' big'un there, Bront," he points over at the bleeding man that Mortimus just helped to fell, "'e just gets us together when there's a job, right? 'E told us that there'd be some nob at the Manky Goblin, we'd wait outside, 'it 'im an' take 'is gold." he starts to focus on the knight's massive sword with wide eyes but then calms down as he remembers a favorite line, "I told ya, it weren't personal! Please spare me sir, ah gotta wife an' seven tiny babies at 'ome oo need their da'! I don't mean to steal, it's just the only way I can get food on the table!"

Meanwhile, the unconcious thug up the street has set into a deep sleep, and has started snoring while Zalivane expertly uses the knowledge that he gained in the jungle dressing wounds from wild animal attacks to stop the big thug from bleeding to death. Even with his limited knowledge of the healing arts he knows that strenuous movements would cause the man to start bleeding into himself, and that without treatment the broken jaw would keep the man from talking for months before it heals naturally.

The canny drow also takes a moment to rifle through the man's belongings, and easily finds a purse with five platinum, ten gold and another twelve silver pieces though as well he finds a worn and old key at the bottom of the purse. Aside from that, he has no other belongings besides his clothes, a suit of serviceable leather armor with metal bands (studded leather), his sword (longsword), and an expertly made small steel shield with a faded image of a raptor on it (masterwork light steel shield).

OOC: And now everyone... the dreaded Sense Motive checks are called for!
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-09-13 at 11:09 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114

Fierna

"So this is guy whose skull i just cracked is Bront?...I can heal some of his wounds...besides, the blood will mess my boots..." she turns at Zalivane "and i'll place a reserve as well, most churches don't let you check their sacred texts unless you contribute..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive:(1d20+3)[9]
    and a Intelligence check to see if i can figure something out the shield with the raptor: (1d20+5)[23]

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Motimus

Get out of here! he says to the thug and watches him run off wildly.

He picks up his bow from where he dropped it on the ground. He then turns to Aelton.

You sir, have some explaining to do.

And to the rest he says, we might want to heal the thug so we can get answers out of him also.
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2008-09-13 at 11:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show

SM: (1d20+2)[7]

forgot sense motive.

27. - Top - End - #117

Arturo

Swaying like a thin tree in the wind, Arturo can hardly believe his ears. "Random mugging? You bloody liar! I don't doubt for a second this is related to that little task you've set us on." he says, taking another step closer to Aelton.

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive - (1d20+4)[23]

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118

Gabe

Gabe keeps his dagger drawn and shouts at Arturo, "Calm down, Dronken dwaas. If anybody is at fault, it's you. I warned you about these thugs when we were in the bar. If it weren't for your "condition" we could have handled this then and there."

Spoiler
    Show
    sense motive - (1d20+2)[17]

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zalivane

With the thug leader temporarily stabilized, Zalivane completely blocks out the remaining conscious henchman. "Search their bodies. All of them."

"Of course, this is only a suggestion. If you want to leave the Sharn muckeaters to loot their fabulous equipment, you may. I only think we might find some items of interest."

"I have found a key on their leader. I am unsure what it could belong to. I found money. I am willing to share it with the party. The man also had... a shield with an emblem I am unfamiliar with."

"Mister Provost, or Professor, or whatever you are; I do not care. I am inexplicably suspicious of you. Why?"

"First of all, a random mugging does not consist of an ambush by half a dozen thugs, nor does it involve specific orders. I think you overheard one of the thugs mentioning specific orders, no?"

Finally, Zalivane tries to figure the most efficient way to keep the thug leader alive, well enough to talk, and somewhat restrained - without being moved.

"I need to borrow a healing potion."

(d20)[9] Sense Motive

30. - Top - End - #120

Fierna

"i'll heal him, be ready, he'll probably try to get away" she steps near the thug leader , and touches his horehead, while casting a spell on a foreign tongue.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d8+2)[5]

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show