New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 119, page 107

Quote Originally Posted by CaptC View Post
    But note that ending a side doesn't necessarily mean disbanding the side's units. Banhammer's side is apparently gone, but Jillian is still around. I'd hypothesize that any leader of a side that doesn't have a capitol after an arbitrary time limit goes barbarian. (It might even be instantly - it's possible Stanley was actually a barbarian when he retook GK.)
    Apparently it's immediate ("On my next turn, I was a barbarian.")

2. - Top - End - #332
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmmm. Thinking a little more about my last post.

How did Faq go to ruins and become an open prize? Stanley can't have taken Faq - or he would already own it! There's clearly been nobody that took Faq away from Stanley.

The only other thing I can think of is that there is a 'raze city' mechanic. This would let you destroy a city either because you expect the enemy to retake it, or by razing a capitol, you can force a side to go barbarian. Which is apparently what happened to Jillian.
    Dibs on his dice.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Well, yes; we already know from Jillian's account that she was popped as an heir. (I suppose it's possible that she's lying, but I don't see any particular reason to think so.)
    Nor do I, that's why I said it would be no surprise to use.

Then why was Stanley being promoted to Heir Designate significant? I think Parson was assuming that Stanley would still be alive when he would send the 'casters to The Happiest Place on Erf. He had already made his deal with Charlie, so Stanley's survival is the likely outcome (based on Parson's info, at least).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    I'm not sure how that follows.
    It follows because Ansom and Vinny did not assume that the leader of a barbarian faction was a royal, so either non-royals becoming heir (probably as a last-ditch effort to save the side) is frequent enough to be the default assumption, or there is some other way to become a barbarian other than losing one's cities. There is no other way I can think of to reconcile Vinny and Ansom's doubts about Jillian being a royal with the apparent 'rules' for becoming a barbarian.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, what's this? I thought that a disbanded unit would become a barbarian? Sizemore made it sound more like getting killed when Stanley got pissed, but I think it's just what happens when you're removed from a side, and so become a barbarian. Either Sizemore is just really scared of not having a place to live, (perhaps barbarians are somewhat similar to the homeless in some ways?) or "disband" can also refer to if you're killed by your leader for insubordination or whatnot.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Wait, what's this? I thought that a disbanded unit would become a barbarian?
    Where did you get that?

To my knowledge, there's no indication in the strip that "disband" means anything other than "erase from existence," and quite a few that that's exactly what it means.