New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 119, page 107

Quote Originally Posted by Soulus101 View Post
    Varia, I think you may have hit the nail on the head as to what happens next. Also, I'm assuming that "Jack" is a pop culture reference; can anyone enlighten me?

Great strip; can't wait to see what happens next...
    I assumed it was more a reference to Jack Nicholson. As he played the 'joker' and that was the first impression I got once we finally saw his face unmasked by the hood.. had a whole "Heeeerrre's johnny" feel to it (another reference to his role in the movie the Shining). Granted it wasn't until this comic that it all snapped into place for me a 'oh yeah!' type of moment.

Altho you know.. the Jack-n-Jill thing kinda fits too.
    Last edited by DarkNewton; 2008-09-02 at 08:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Spamalot in the Playground

Jack be nimble
    Jack be quick
    Jack, pull your Foolamancy magic trick...

(Interesting how things are tying together now)
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2008-09-02 at 08:24 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #33

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, I'm trying to figure this out too. The fact that Parson wants to talk to Jack, not Stanley, is telling. I'd say there's a fair chance that he's going to try to convince Jack to fool Stanley and avoid the ambush as mentioned earlier.

That aside, Parson is only starting up the liquid and gas traps now, what is he waiting on? I was under the impression that he had to get his plan done this turn so what can be gained by waiting till later in his turn?

Oh, and it looks like some tunnel collapse is planned. That's good to know.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Jill just told us how they're going to get by... a foolamancer who can veil entire cities, and who is a master distractor, shouldn't have much trouble slipping one little stack past one other stack.

All he needs to do is get them to leave the chokepoint. And all that would take is just the right distraction, at just the right time.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The authors of this strip are masters at the slow reveal, the are.

In this strip, we learn the name of the foolamancer, the fact that Stanley does not know it yet, that FAQ had a predictamancer, that Jack had a thing for Jill, that the liquid and gas traps are the beginning, and that a collapse is imminent.
    We have also learned that Transylvito is very close to FAQ.

My previous assumptions (that Stanleyt was heding for Charley) still hold, BUT I now must re-state that Charlie must be indeed in FAQ (one of the reasons why Stanley hates him?).
    The reason is that the set-up is just too sweet.
    Jill against Jack?

What will she do when she finds out that Wanda betrayed the Predictamancer and sunmmoned Stanley to rescue her?
    (total speculation)...

I am sooooooooo looking forward to this (and the reason I usually hate illusions in games is precisely for the reason stated by Vinnie - its' an all-or-nothing type of effect. Either the spell works, and you have an 'I w1n' card, or it fails, and it is useless. You then maximize your chances of FTW by specializing in just that, and increase your odds, but still are reduced to either a black or white outcome. There are no real challenges - its pass or fail based on a dies roll. It is difficult to challenge illusionists in-game, and here we have the perfect example - either he passes by unmolested, or fails and gets molested. No middle ground.... ah well - as this is an NPC, it still works...)

GO ERF! PLOT! AWAY!!!!!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'd like to point out that Wanda would have to have some way of listening in on Jillian's conversations to have discovered the Fool's name. Unless of course it's just a coincidence that she just now remembered after his name was said.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Furin_Mirado View Post
    Yeah, I'm trying to figure this out too. The fact that Parson wants to talk to Jack, not Stanley, is telling. I'd say there's a fair chance that he's going to try to convince Jack to fool Stanley and avoid the ambush as mentioned earlier.
    Does Parson know anything specific about where Stanley is headed, or (now that he doesn't have the tactical table) that there's a particular place where he'd be vulnerable to ambush?

That aside, Parson is only starting up the liquid and gas traps now, what is he waiting on? I was under the impression that he had to get his plan done this turn so what can be gained by waiting till later in his turn?
    The initial traps might be designed to funnel enemies into a bigger trap.

Quote Originally Posted by vincevulgar View Post
    I'd like to point out that Wanda would have to have some way of listening in on Jillian's conversations to have discovered the Fool's name.
    Huh? We've pretty well established that they were both originally from Faq; that would give her ample opportunity to know his name -- Parson simply hadn't had a chance to raise the subject until recently.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-09-02 at 08:39 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Stallogarro View Post
    -Jack. D'OH!
    Well, it is an improvement on John...

Spoiler
    Show
    To save people trying to work out the pun, John D'OH! == John Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Furin_Mirado View Post
    Not really: Parson has been ordered not to speak (again!) after the intrapment plan didn't entirely go to plan.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2008-09-02 at 08:38 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

9. - Top - End - #39

He's not trying to funnel enemies anywhere. They can't move, remember? It's not their turn!

Instead, he's doing the maximum amount of damage he can, and then seeing who's left. Presumably there's some scouting available. So if one hex has only a handful, Sizemore goes in with golems and mops it up- but if a lot of units survived the non-collapse traps, he'll collapse that hex.

And this is just the tunnels- we haven't seen what he's got in store for the rest of Jetstone.

Remember, it's turn-based. Parson doesn't have to do everything at once.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkNewton View Post
    I assumed it was more a reference to Jack Nicholson. As he played the 'joker' and that was the first impression I got once we finally saw his face unmasked by the hood.. had a whole "Heeeerrre's johnny" feel to it (another reference to his role in the movie the Shining). Granted it wasn't until this comic that it all snapped into place for me a 'oh yeah!' type of moment.

Altho you know.. the Jack-n-Jill thing kinda fits too.
    Also, isn't Joker's real name Jack Napier?
    "You know that a conjurer gets no credit once he has explained his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all." - Sherlock Holmes to Watson

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leo_neil316 View Post
    Does the 'apparently came along without orders to either 'croak a big nasty thing himself' or provide a better leadership bonus than Vinnie or Jillian' vampire remind anyone else of spike from BtVS?
    Clearly, Borgata is Spike dressed up in erfyness. Very surprised not to have seen anyone mention it, yet. He smokes, he's got spiky hair, a most badass longcoat, and, well, he's just so very Spike. Though I suppose Spike never holds his cigarette like that. Howeveeer.. i can't be bothered to check.. and also.. yay for off topic..

Great comic, btw..

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Conjurer View Post
    Also, isn't Joker's real name Jack Napier?
    I think you're right, which funnily enough was first introduced in the movie in which Nicholson was playing the joker.

And offtopic one of my favorite Joker quotes in regards to his origins: "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Huh? We've pretty well established that they were both originally from Faq; that would give her ample opportunity to know his name -- Parson simply hadn't had a chance to raise the subject until recently.
    But this strip is not structured that way at all. I also read it as Wanda picking the knowledge up from Jillian. I agree that Wanda ought to know on her own... but the timing within the strip doesn't look like a coincidence.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

OK, I'm missing something. How did Parson learn the Foolamancer's name? It looks like he either heard it from Wanda, or that it was the 3-D glasses that helped him do it, or both.

Did I miss something?

Perhaps Wanda hasn't completely returned to Jetsone and can still be "seen" as a unit of Stanley's? Even without "the big board"?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enfolder View Post
    OK, I'm missing something. How did Parson learn the Foolamancer's name? It looks like he either heard it from Wanda, or that it was the 3-D glasses that helped him do it, or both.

Did I miss something?

Perhaps Wanda hasn't completely returned to Jetsone and can still be "seen" as a unit of Stanley's? Even without "the big board"?
    "Wanda says his name is "Jack.""

What's to be confused about?

16. - Top - End - #46

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enfolder View Post

Did I miss something?

Returned to Jetstone? Wanda never left, Parson talked her out of it.
    100 HNJO (700 GP)
    40 LIGD (280 GP)
    20 GP

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    Returned to Jetstone? Wanda never left, Parson talked her out of it.
    never mind that! she was never planning to defect. She was off to rescue stanley, not join jetstone. Aside from that, I doubt the 3-d glasses limit him to seeing only his unit's stats (because they would still be pretty useless). I think you missed a lot, actually...
    Grow my dragons ---->

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenitor View Post
    He's not trying to funnel enemies anywhere. They can't move, remember? It's not their turn!
    They can't move to a different hex (which requires capital-M Move). All indications are that tactical combat within a location works normally for the off-turn side (e.g. Jillian's battle with the dwagons before she got captured; Webinar's encounter with the spidew squad).
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-09-02 at 09:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grunthos View Post
    But this strip is not structured that way at all. I also read it as Wanda picking the knowledge up from Jillian. I agree that Wanda ought to know on her own... but the timing within the strip doesn't look like a coincidence.
    It's something else, the timing is perfect in terms of plot exposure. We get to know not only the name but that he had a crush on Jillian, and finally we know that Stanley's side also knows the name and as such can go into FAQ.

As it has been suggested Parson's plan is most likely to fool Stanley in going back to GK. The foolamancer may have some conflicts in what regards Stanley best interests, but if he knows this could also save Jillian, he might be persuaded.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

20. - Top - End - #50
    Barbarian in the Playground

So was Wanda the Predictamancer of FAQ? I think it's safe to assume she did casting for them, but we didn't see any evidence of Croakamancy.

Also, it appears that not any city can be the home for a side? Only a "capital site". That suggests in turn that perhaps a side can only include one capital site among their cities - thus explaining why Stanley destroyed it. That also implies that perhaps Stanley will have to abandon Gobwin Knob if he rebuilds FAQ... leaving it neutral? Or under the control of a designated heir?

If Jack was a "master-class" Foolamancer, that suggests he was better than most. And yet the linked magics seemed to rely most heavily on lookamancy (the table) and thinkamancy (the eyebooks). Was Stanley largely neglecting Jack's talents? Or were Misty and Maggie also master casters?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    So was Wanda the Predictamancer of FAQ?
    Unlikely. Seems that FAQ had a bunchload of mages.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Simon
    You just slip out the back, Jack
    Make a new plan, Stan
    --50 ways to leave your lover
    Last edited by Bilgore; 2008-09-02 at 10:00 AM.
    My evil dreamteam:

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

If Jack was a "master-class" Foolamancer, that suggests he was better than most. And yet the linked magics seemed to rely most heavily on lookamancy (the table) and thinkamancy (the eyebooks). Was Stanley largely neglecting Jack's talents? Or were Misty and Maggie also master casters?
    No, the table and all the images were Jack's work. He converted what Misty saw into images, full of detail. Maggie channeled the info between them. The writing in the eyebooks is probably also the result of his own work - thinkamancy channels the thought into the book, foolamancy displays the thoughts as writing.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-09-02 at 10:00 AM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    No, the table and all the images were Jack's work. He converted what Misty saw into images, full of detail. Maggie channeled the info between them. The writing in the eyebooks is probably also the result of his own work - thinkamancy channels the thought into the book, foolamancy displays the thoughts as writing.
    Sure, they require Foolamancy, but it doesn't seem like the eyebooks really need that much of it. The level of detail on the table is a good point, though; that could be difficult to achieve.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

The Foolamancer put the projection on the table - it was sort a bit of a Star Trek hologram type thing, i.e. an illusion. Which probably counts as neglecting the talent of a "master-class" caster.

Edit: double-ninja'd! Rats!
    Last edited by Alces; 2008-09-02 at 10:06 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0110.html So Stanley didn't necessarily capture the predictamancer, but instead chose Wanda and Jack. Or he did, and lost it (through defection or croaking). But I think it's clear that Wanda is a Croakamancer, NOT a predictamancer.

And just because we didn't see Jack at work, doesn't mean he wasn't...
    Grow my dragons ---->

27. - Top - End - #57

Just for reference, the tradition in fairy tales is for the foolish son to go on adventures and be successful. And Jack is in various stories, the Jack be Nimble rhyme, Jack and the Beanstalk and as referenced on page one, Jack and Jill(ian). I hadn't thought of the Jack Napier reference, but that's great too. Fun stuff from Rob.

So interesting. And yes, if he's that much a master foolamancer not just to veil but to throw out distractions, then its a nice bonus. One 'silver lining'. When you don't have 11 cities anymore and just have to defend one, your defenders at least aren't spread out. The casters Stanley had left at GK seem pretty nice power levels.

Jack and Jillian were pals in FAQ
    And guarded it from every foe
    But Stanley that hack,
    had Jack linked in a pack
    to control where his pieces would go.

When the link was broke,
    Poor Jack was smote,
    His mind broken without will.
    But when he heard his name,
    and saw his dame,
    Jack and Jill went up the hill
    to fight for FAQ again.
    Last edited by Fez; 2008-09-02 at 10:21 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

So was Wanda the Predictamancer of FAQ? I think it's safe to assume she did casting for them, but we didn't see any evidence of Croakamancy.
    Yeah, everything indicates that it wasn't her specialty (specially the first talk with Sizemore in the Magic Kingdom) but, if she was, it would explain her behavior. She predicted the fall of Faq and maybe she predicted that allying with Stanley was her route for Ultimate Arcane Power (tm) , via acquiring one of the Arcane Tools or just something she desires. So, though unlikely, it would explain most of Wanda's doings.
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul

29. - Top - End - #59

I guess now we know why the Foolamancer went crazy. He fell down and broke his crown, after all. Or was the crazy-reason already given in a strip I've forgotten?
    New Terminator movie = Awesome!

30. - Top - End - #60

Hmmm... now that's an interesting possibility. Faq certainly didn't seem to have much need of Croakamancy (especially if, as I suspect, Erfworld units live on indefinitely until croaked by violence, which simply wouldn't happen in Faq as described). If her original function was as a Predictamancer, but she didn't really care for it, and her predictions gave her an indication of how to get on the winning side with opportunities to practice the class of magic she preferred, it might explain a few things about her backstory.