New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
    Default The unexpected defense of an Empire, Group 1

This is thread 1 for the Finding Players: Half-n-half thread.

Here is a 12 mile radius snapshot of the surroundings of the town of Wallingford.

First: a brief history of the Mercent Empire, and, because it is necessary, a history of the Arbeit Republic. 1630 years ago, a group of humans and dwarves far to the North wrote up a profitable mutual trade and protection pact. It was so profitable, in fact, that it quickly led to the rise of a nation, the Arbeit kingdom. After a brief civil war over the fact that humans won't accept a dwarven leader, and vise-versa, the kingdom became a republic. So great was its wealth, that this republic decided that all humans and all dwarves should share in its prosperity.

This was obviously a problem to any other dwarven or human kingdom out there, and many city-states fell to the republic, but a minor state, led by the relatively wealthy Rolf Mercent I, had an idea. Hiring local orc and goblin mercenaries, his army was able to rout the republic 1366 years ago, and establish his family as an imperial line, with nominal vassal states comprised of nonhumans. This loose confederation has been a thorn in the republic's side for a very long time.

Partly in response to this, the republic has long expelled any non-humans and non-dwarves from its borders. Both states have long expanded their borders to encompass their other neighbors, in an arms race to outdo the other in troop numbers, equipment, and magical strength.

But this particular story does not describe the clash of armies, or the deaths of rulers, but rather, an unusual group of outcasts living near the borders of these powers....

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
    Default Re: The unexpected defense of an Empire, Group 1

This story begins at a small tavern, the Grell's Beak. It is a Korday, in the middle of summer, a short time before the harvest begins. Aside from Aurune, Eruv, Zerithas, and Xangol, the place is almost deserted. The Grell's Beak doesn't get much business on a good night, and Korday is not normally a good night. It's one of the few reasons the owner even lets this group hold their weekly meeting here, as there aren't many other customers otherwise.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Let us review the notes from last week."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.
    Avatar by kpenguin, Teal'c rocks...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Eruv shuffles some papers, then clears his throat. "Well... I think we were talking about that problem I had in the street the day before. It's getting harder and harder to keep myself under the cloak." His tentacles grab the paper and arrange it neatly on the table while he speaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zerithas nods, only listening with half an ear. The actual proceedings of the meeting bored him nearly to tears, but he attends them mostly to cultivate relationships with others capable of coming to his aid if it becomes necessary. Of course, they would expect him to assist in their problems as well, and he has no small amount of empathy for their positions. Most of the members of this group, including himself, are of races not generally well-liked by the populace even discounting their mixed blood; the oddity of their nonhumanoid parents simply made them even more outcast.

Zerithas flexes his wings restlessly; recently, he has had more and more of an urge to fly, something which had not occurred much in him, a child of the constrained Underdark. He isn't sure if it's an omen of things to come, or simply a natural instinct seeping through from his draconic blood. As his mind wanders, he keeps a segmented portion of his concentration on the meeting, paying attention to the proceedings and attempting to memorize every word; one can never tell when something seemingly insignificant will turn out to hold life-or-death importance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kentma57 View Post
    "Let us review the notes from last week."
    "Good idea..... Um, I can't recall what we did last week sooo....."
    Aurune shifts uncomfortably, and he appears guilty for forgetting,
    trill in da playground

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

As you're reviewing how your last meeting went, a man walks into the tavern, approaches the bar, and orders some cheap rotgut. It takes you a second or two to recognize that this is Mr. Dixon, an herbalist in town who you know because he employs Nando Defthands, a half-water-elemental halfling who you all know. Now, the problem with this is you don't know Mr. Dixon to be much of a drinker.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Noting that, Aurune looks at the group and says "Hey guys, isn't that Mr.Dixon the herblist? I didn't know he drank. Something's odd."
    trill in da playground

9. - Top - End - #9

"I never talked to him much, I grow most of my own herbs at the estate."
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

"yeah, but I know he doesn't drink. Comon, let's talk to him. Something's up."
    trill in da playground

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

"For all you know, he's meeting somebody here, and is ordering for them," Zerithas pipes in, glad for something to relieve his boredom, even temporarily. "Let's just wait and see what happens," he continues, his glittering red eyes watching the herbalist from across the room. "If it's something interesting, then we can get involved..."
    Last edited by bahamut920; 2008-09-08 at 04:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

As Ansel Dixon approaches the bar, the barkeep, Grahm, asks "Hey, don't see you here often, what can I get you?"
    "Just get me some grog, or some ale, something cheap that will help me forget."
    "Help you forget what? Did she turn you down again?"
    "Yes, but that's last weeks news. I was out buying some herbs that don't grow here, and the barge was attacked on the way back. They took my money, and they also took my assistant, Nando."
    "That's an outrage, did you talk to the guard?"
    "Damn near everyone on the barge did. But the guard hasn't found anything in weeks of searching for these thieves, and I don't think they'll suddenly muster the entire garrison just because one halfling's been taken. I had to tell his father, and he was floored by the news. Boccob only knows what those fiends took Nando for."
    "Tell you what, this one's on the house. If only tensions weren't so high with the republic right now, so the guard could spare more men."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Walking over to him, Aurune says "Hey mr. Dixon. you don't come here much. Something wrong?"
    trill in da playground

14. - Top - End - #14

With a glint of his elven heritage his ears twitch but he frowns: "This does not bode well."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

"Oh, hello there. I suppose I should tell you as well." He takes a short drink of his ale. "The barge I was on, the Corianna, was attacked on the way back from Cobston. It was such a great day before it happened, too. I let Nando do the negotiations when we were buying rare herbs back in the city, and he'd managed to get an excellent price, a bit lower than what I'm able to get, even. I was impressed. But then, as we went around a forested curve in the river, a bit before the village of Ley's Mill, we were boarded from another barge, and some arrows came out of the trees on the banks. They took all our cash, some cloth that was being shipped, all of the pepper that I had bought, some of the food onboard, and finally, they took poor Nando. It was all over in a few minutes, they left on their barge, heading downstream."

16. - Top - End - #16

"Something must be done."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

"yeah, something has to be." turning to the group, Aurune says " We should do something about this. Anyone else agree ith me, then?"
    trill in da playground

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Adjusting his cloak to hide his tentacles, Eruv clears his throat and speaks."Of course. I will go to Ley's Mill personally, and I really hope someone goes with me. We should ask around, see if the theives have been around for long." He turns to Ansel, stroking his chin. "Did the guard find anything useful?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

"'Fraid not. The river meets up with a few streams down towards Ley's Mill. The bandits could be up any stream, as they had their own raft. The guards only were able to try down one of the streams to the south last time, that still leaves many possibilities. But what do you expect out of the guard? They'll not attack a bandit stronghold without backup, and the bandits have only been attacking barges for 2 weeks or so. They haven't had time to do a huge investigation yet."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

ÈMaybe they havenèt but e should investigate. hat do you think, guysÉ
    trill in da playground

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Sure, why not?" Zerithas replies casually. "It would be something for me to do; it gets so boring around here..."