New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Gestalt Arena Match 7

A towering figure in a dark robe enters the room where you have been milling around sizing up the competition. His face is completely obscured by his hood. He raises both hands to get your attention and speaks in a deep voice.
    Wild Wing, Alya. You have been chosen to fight. Prepare yourselves!
    With that he brings his hands down and the two of you find yourself transported to the arena

OOC:
    You've got time for one swift action and one standard action before you get transported in case you need to adopt a stance or activate an item.

On the map, green is open terrain, yellow is difficult terrain, red/brown is the cliffs. Arena has a 60 foot ceiling.

Opening post should have an initiative roll, anything you said after he called your name and what, if anything you did with the 'surprise round' before being transported. After that, start fighting in initiative order.

Wild Wing
    Spoiler
    Show
    start at K1

Alya
    Spoiler
    Show
    start at AF24
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-09-04 at 08:46 PM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Gestalt Arena Match 7

"Show me your best - I will end you!"

Prep round:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wildshape into Sanguaro Sentinel. Switch to Flame's Blessing.

OOC: I've got Knowledge Devotion. What's your base type for me to roll against?
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-09-07 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Initiative roll failed due to previews.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3

Trying again...

Initiative: (1d20+12)[19]
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Have to catch me first!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Prep round: assume hybrid form, enter assassin's stance

Initiative:(1d20+17)[33]
    My homebrew project: 3.5e generic class overhaul

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wildwing activates his winged vest as a swift action, and double moves straight up 40' above K1.

(OOC: Wildwing is a humanoid. In a very broad sense of "humanoid", granted. )
    Last edited by TeeEl; 2008-09-08 at 08:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Knowledge Devotion: (1d20+21)[22]

OOC: Also, what is Wild Wing's size? At the present, Alya is Huge. Also, any visible weapons, items or such? Being a cactus, Alya obviously holds nothing (except for Boots, Robe, Cloak, Necklace, Belt and Crown: think Pimp Cactus).

EDIT: Also, Collector of Stories to Knowledge Devotion > 27, meaning +3/+3.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-09-09 at 04:02 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

(OOC: Wildwing is currently large. He wears a fairly full set of magic items, but no gloves or boots, and carries a dagger.)

8. - Top - End - #8

What does he look like? I mean, generic creature type of what sort? Dragon-like? WereXish? Anything discernable by the bare eye?
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-09-09 at 11:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

(OOC: Werebat. Not much point in being vague about it when he's a freakin' mutant bat, not like anyone's going to mistake him for a gnome.)

10. - Top - End - #10

OOC: So I'm up against the friggin' Batman. Swell.

IC:
    "If you insist!"

Alya switches combat mode: Dire Eagle!
    With that, she speeds towards Wild Wing!

OOC: Moment of Alacrity raises my Initiative to 39 which should allow me to act again barring shenanigans. Waiting confirmation though.

Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Combat mode switch, Dire Eagle.
    Free Action: Activate Boots of Speed
    Standard Action (used as a Move Action): Move 110' towards you (raise 27.5' in the air to T-U 12-13)
    Swift Action: Activate Moment of Alacrity, increasing my initiative to 39.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-09-09 at 12:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

(OOC: No shenanigans just yet, so yes, your turn again.)

12. - Top - End - #12

Get really angry:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Start Whirling Frenzy.
    Start Rage.
    Start Feral Trance.

Activate Boots of Haste again, use Bounding Assault-maneuver and Pounce on you from 42.5' at L-M 4-5 (I figure you must be at 1-2 of either J-K or K-L since you're Large and I can reach both from here):

Primary Attacks:
    Unarmed Strike #1: (1d20+32)[45] for (3d8+23)[31]
    Unarmed Strike #2: (1d20+32)[37] for (3d8+23)[42]
    Unarmed Strike #3: (1d20+32)[34] for (3d8+23)[44]
    Unarmed Strike #4: (1d20+27)[37] for (3d8+23)[40]
    Unarmed Strike #5: (1d20+22)[33] for (3d8+23)[37]

Secondary Attacks:
    Bite: (1d20+29)[37] for (1d8+16)[21]
    Talon: (1d20+25)[41] for (1d8+15)[18]
    Talon: (1d20+25)[42] for (1d8+15)[23]

If you pull shenanigans or survive (probably due to the pulled shenanigans), I'll still maintain turn after this with a Swift Action remaining.

EDIT: Specified that I'm referring to the maneuver named "Bounding Assault", not the feat or anything else.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-09-09 at 02:42 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: To clarify positioning, Wildwing's occupying J1-K2 (K1 was given as his starting coordinate, so in a Large form that's the only legal position he could have started in). I don't see any natural 20s in those rolls, so no hits; Wildwing is unhurt.

14. - Top - End - #14

Ok, use Belt of Battle for a full-round action and initiate a maneuver (feel free to make Martial Lore-check to determine which one):

To hit: (1d20+48)[58]

Damage: (38d8+17)[215]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: I believe you've got me. However, I'd like clarification on a couple of points:

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Whirling Frenzy specifies "A character can't use whirling frenzy at the same time that he uses any other form of rage (or similar ability)." So Rage is out, isn't it? (For that matter, Feral Trance could potentially be ruled a "similar ability", but while there are several other such abilities that specify they are "similar to a barbarian's rage" Feral Trance does not have the same sort of language in its description so it would probably be OK.)

2. Feral Trance says the transformation "destroys any gloves or shoes you're wearing." I had assumed any magic boots you're wearing would be toast, in which case the haste effect may or may not last through the end of your turn.

You'd hit on a 55, so chances are regardless of how these are ruled I'd be going down anyhow.
    Last edited by TeeEl; 2008-09-09 at 03:39 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Ok, use Belt of Battle for a full-round action and initiate a maneuver (feel free to make Martial Lore-check to determine which one):

To hit: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]
    Just out of curiosity, how much constitution and max hp do you have left after that?
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #17

Wops, misread Whirling Frenzy. My bad (turns out it didn't matter as you pointed out - the +4 Str is counteracted by the -2 penalty and the attack missed anyways; I'll miss the AC though - I'll have to look into that to see if I could get any solid replacements). As for Feral Trance, the fact that my shoes are melded (Wilding Clasps states that the item doesn't meld if it could be reasonably worn by my present form - I'm an Eagle so I've got talons, which means I can't reasonably wear the Boots and thus they're Melded, and if they're worn...I've already got Talons so there wouldn't be relevant changes).

As for my Con and HP, my Con after the Con Bomb is 13 (14 for the Wild-form, but 13 for HP) and I've got 83 HP left.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-09-09 at 04:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Ah, nice. Yup, that's the match then. I'm really wishing I had shoehorned that Ring of Avoidance into my final equipment loadout.

19. - Top - End - #19

Since the match is over, I don't see OOC-tags being necessary anymore (unless I feel the need to glamer over my victory...). Yea, I have a few items I really wished to be able to include too, like stuff that would heal Ability Damage with little effort (so I could use that a bit more often and with less consequence - at the present, it's like all-in except without Power Attack). Also, there's that one item (whatever type it was) that makes you immune to all forms of damage and such for one turn. Costs 40000 or so. I really wish I could have that. Unfortunately, it conflicts with my Necklace-slot with Necklace of Natural Attacks (and as became apparent here, I really need that Necklace).

Buying the items was easily the hardest part in making the character (along with rolling stats and HP - I hate rolled permanent stuff in arenas), especially since playswithfire didn't allow stacking effects on the same item for 1.5 the normal cost - I'd really love Boots of Battle Charger, for example (just 3000 attached and gives 2 Standard Action Charges/day and ability to charge over difficult terrain without flight or anything).