New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: End of Ages

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: End of Ages

He growls as he runs, He gave me this amulet. Said to bring all of you to where he was. He is our second chance.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Well that's a neat little thing but what's the catch? Why us? What does he want from us? I mean, not that I'm not extremely grateful, but do you even know his name?"
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't matter. We can kill the dragon.

4. - Top - End - #64

Avit could see where Lotho was coming at, this chance was too good to be true, however, judging by how it was true that something was happening to them that the demon did not like, does open up the possibility that some how, some way, they are able to return back to Prime, NOT as a ghost. "Just drop it Lotho, I know it may seem to good to be true for you but the very fact that we are all here, does make it seem plausible doesn't it?" Avit tries to reason with Lotho

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As the group approaches the gate to the city, Walker's symbol began to glow again, lifting up, tearing from his neck and bolting to the high bronze tower in the center of the city. Loud cries echo from the tower, wails, and a shout in infernal "BEL IS DEAD...BEL IS DEAD...." passing down the streets. As the last of you exit the city, the symbol of a Sunburst with a lion's face appears on the walls of the city. Cries fron the inside echo louder, the gates slamming shut as an army rushes toward it, the symbol appearing over the gate. Arrows shoot through the grating, all missing.

The second the party arrive at the spot the man in white was, the party becomes refreshed. The man appears again. Next to him is a translucent manifestation of Bel.

Ahh..this is almost everyone, perfect. I apologize for any extra trouble the symbol may have occurred. It is so rare I get the chance to smite such an abomination, but that is none of your concern. Of your concern though, is yourselves. The fates wish you to live again, and we gods approve of it. Your mind, soul, and body though still belong to the afterlife, reclaim them, and the hells will spurn you. You have the blessings of the gods, but this you must do on your own.

In a split second you all find yourself upon an onyx floor in a dungeon. Three columns stand before the party. The first, bloodstone with the word "Corpus" upon it. To it's left, glass, studded in precious jewels, and the word "cerebelli', and the last "column" looked as if it was a tornado. Looking upon it, the word "Pneumas" echos in your mind. On the floor is written

"One to save them all and one to doom them all, each pillar may be challenged by one and one alone"
    Fox
    25 years of tabletops and cheetos
    Avid Roleplayer/Loquacious Dungeonmaster

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

When X touches the Column of Precious Jewels: This writing appears:

There are 5 domains each decorated differently, each ruled by a different dark lord. Each dark lord has a unique heritage, and prefers the taste of a unique kind of blood, is most entertained by a certain kind of soul, and keeps a different kind of pet. Each lord is unique in all ways.

You are approached by a Sanguine, your task is to
    1.Find his master's Domain
    2.Be capable of Recognizing him (aka know his heritage)
    3.Bring him a decanter of his favorite blood and his favorite soul
    4.Being prepared to greet his neighbors (aka knowing the heritage of the domain lords left and right of him.

Here are the clues the Sanguine offers:
    The Bearded Devil lives in the bloody domain.
    The Spined Devil keeps hellhounds as pets.
    The Ice Devil drinks blood served like a tea.
    Looking from the front, the forest domain is just to the left of the Bone Domain
    The Forest Domain's owner drinks blood black as night.
    The Dark Lord who enjoys murders' souls raises drakes.
    The owner of the Festering Domain enjoys the souls of Adulterers
    The Dark Lord living in the center domain drinks mother's blood.
    The Legion Devil lives in the leftmost Domain
    The Lord who enjoys Half-Elves lives next to the one who keeps Coerls
    The Lord who keeps a nightmare lives next to the domain lord who enjoys murderers
    The domain lord who enjoys Blademasters also drinks the blood of dwarves
    The Pitfiend enjoys virgin Princes
    The Legion Devil lives next to the Ice Domain.
    The Lord who enjoys Half-elves has a neighbor who drinks water.

So, where do you go, with what soul and blood, and who do you greet as the master?
    Fox

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Cale keeps pace with the group as they flee the city, not speaking as she runs alongside them. Only when the strange white figure speaks of the fates and gods lending their blessings does she break her silence, murmuring in disbelief, "But we failed!"

The Tiefling has no time to press this objection before the figure is gone, and she and her companions find themselves suddenly underground. She doesn't move from her spot as she takes in the new scene, reads the words on the floor, and examines each of the three columns in turn. Finally, hooves clicking sharply on the onyx floor, she approches the glass pillar marked "cerebelli". She hesitantly extends a hand toward its surface, then stops. Her thoughts seem ordered enough now...but how can a broken mind be trusted to judge when it is no longer broken?

Glancing back over her shoulder at the others, she asks a bit uncertainly, "Should I try it?"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thonas

"Sure, go ahead."

While Cale goes about solving the riddle, Thonas begins admiring the bloodstone pillar. "Corpus" he echoes. "I like the sound of that." It is now that he notices the weapons that Walker carries. "Say, Brother, it's been an age since I carried anything other than a notched old blade, it would be nice to have a fitting weapon once more."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Cale nods, still looking unsure, then turns and lays her hand against the pillar.

The jewels flare to life, glittering with motes of light which slowly coalesce into lines of writing, all along the pillar's surface. Before anyone can read the text, the air around the column shimmers and blurs, hiding the Tiefling and the riddle from view.

Inside the curtain of light, a startled Cale reaches out to touch the shimmering barrier. She feels no pain or resistance, but her hand simply stops, as if of its own accord. "Um, Thonas? Anyone? Can you hear me out there?"

Her voice is stronger than before, thanks to the rejuvenating effect of the Man in White, but no response comes. "One and one alone," she murmurs, then turns her back to the curtain and studies the pillar.

After reading the riddle from start to finish, twice, Cale frowns. This will take time...what if she forgets who she is again before she finishes? She could trap all five of them here, doom their world again...

The Tiefling closes her eyes and breathes deeply. She will not forget; her mind is her own now. She opens her eyes, and the pillar casts back two small, reflected orbs of golden light.

From a poorly-tanned leather case on her belt, Cale draws a vial of reddish-black ink and a ragged quill pen, plucked from one of Avernus's foul carrion birds. A few crumbling scraps of parchment and vellum complete her tools. She lowers herself to sit cross-legged on the onyx floor, with pen, ink, and parchment laid out in front of her, and sets to work.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Walker in the wastes looks at Thonas's battered and nearly-broken blade and laughs evilly. He knows that that thing wouldn't do against an elderly camel, much less any of the monsters they would be facing from this point out. Flipping the halberd around, he slams it mightily into the floor, then steps back a pace, leaving it quivering there in the stone. Be strong. To battle!

11. - Top - End - #71

Lotho Vendara steps up to the pillar of wind, cautiously extending his hand. In an instant he is sucked through the vortex, which disappears with him. Dust scatters across the dungeon floor and then settles.

The halfling is gone, his fate is uncertain. Minutes pass and the wall remains unchanged. There is no sign of him.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

12. - Top - End - #72

Thonas

Thonas reaches out for the shaft of the halberd. Even before he touches it, he can feel the weapons glee, drawing his hand closer to it. Taking the halberd, Thonas grins. "To Battle, For Glory." With that he touches the pillar and vanishes, leaving Walker and Avit alone.

13. - Top - End - #73

Thonas

A portal appears next to the bloodstone pillar, and Thonas appears, stepping through it. He is covered in blood, as is his halberd. Quills stick out through his armour. He pulls one out, surprised at the strange sensation, something he hasn't felt for so long.

"Ow." And he collapses on the floor.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Walker approaches Thonas and kneels beside him. He puts his hand on the other warrior's shoulder, smiles, leans down next to him, and whispers How was it? in a tone of almost childish glee.

15. - Top - End - #75

Thonas

His eyes open briefly as Walker whispers. He smiles broadly. "Better than it's ever been."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

After the "challengers" return and you have discussed to your heart's content, a wall behind the pillars opens up. The infernal words "The way to life" flash as a path is revealed into a dungeon. 5 "mannequins" with black faces rise from the floor, standing before the entrance, wearing your gear, motionless.

Beyond them, grey slate bricks with the faint smell of fresh air and wet dog.

Spoiler
    Show

disregard this until y'all are done, feel free to undress the mannequins, and you have a long hallway ahead of you leading to a big room y'all don't need to get to til i am back online please ;-) Take your time...)
    Last edited by ixious; 2008-09-11 at 10:45 PM.
    Fox

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The curtain of light surrounding the glass pillar falters for a moment, and for the first time since she vanished, Cale's voice carries from beyond it. "All right, then. We call on the Pit Fiend, in the Forest Domain. We bear him gifts of blood black as night and the soul of a virgin prince, and offer greetings to his neighbors, the Bearded Devil and the Spine Devil.

With that, the curtain vanishes. Cale stands with her hand on the pillar, just as the words on its surface fade once more to nothingness. In her other hand she holds a sheaf of parchment scraps, covered with scribbled charts and diagrams; more papers lie balled up and discarded on the floor around her feet.

She turns to face the others. The brown skin of her face is smeared with reddish-black ink, apparently from rubbing her temples with ink-stained hands. "Um, it was a sort of gruesome riddle," she explains a bit sheepishly. "I don't think we really have to steal any blood or souls."

18. - Top - End - #78

"Well, I doubt it would be easy to find a virgin prince in the first place, how are you supposed to find out in the first place anyway?" Avit asks. "Anyway, all that is left is for Lotho to finish his challenge, so, I guess we can take a break, not that I need one, all I've been doing so far is wait. Promise me you'll let me try the next challenge, if we get another one that is." Though thankful for the great help the team has and had been, Avit could not help but feel melancholic, he is returning to life and yet his second life so far is less exciting than his death, maybe he should have asked for a book from the demons before he hurried them away, at least that way he has something to do other than just wait in this room where the builder obviously had way too much resources to spare, true onyx was too soft to be properly used as a floor, it was obviously refined, and something told Avit that this may actually be one of the lesser lavishly decorated rooms.

19. - Top - End - #79

Lotho emerges, smirking proudly, through the wall. You notice that he is full of a new vigor, his color has returned to him and he seems truly alive.

"I believe I have something of each of yours." He is carrying vials of nacreous grey liquid.

"Control of your own fates, my friends. Here are your souls, no strings attached." Lotho distributes these jovially, and then moves to don his equipment.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bue52 View Post
    "Well, I doubt it would be easy to find a virgin prince in the first place, how are you supposed to find out in the first place anyway?" Avit asks.
    "Bored-looking concubines?"

Quote Originally Posted by The_King_of_Durf View Post
    Lotho emerges, smirking proudly, through the wall. You notice that he is full of a new vigor, his color has returned to him and he seems truly alive.

"I believe I have something of each of yours." He is carrying vials of nacreous grey liquid.

"Control of your own fates, my friends. Here are your souls, no strings attached." Lotho distributes these jovially, and then moves to don his equipment.
    "Um, thanks, Lotho." Cale accepts the vial, swirls it experimentally, then carefully opens it and sniffs the contents. "Do we drink them?"

21. - Top - End - #81

Lotho shakes his head. "Just open it and let it in flow into you. You merely need to feel your own essence again."
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

22. - Top - End - #82

Thonas

The effects of Walkers healing hands are quick, and Thonas is on his feet in time to see both Cale and Lotho return. He is most interested in the puzzle, and claims he could have solved it just as quick. As Lotho hands him the vial, he uncorks it and holds it out, making a toast.

"To body, mind and soul." He brings the vial close to his face and breathes deeply. The liquid seems to sublimate and flows like smoke into him. As the vial drains, Thonas has a sudden feeling of completeness.

As the wall between the pillars open up, the first thing he notices is his old weapon.

"Frosty!" He leaps through the door and grabs the greatsword. "It's good to see you again, old girl." He holds up the halberd and greatsword so the two can "see" each other. "Blooddrinker, this is Frosty, Frosty, Blooddrinker."

"Charmed." The halberd replies indignantly.

"She doesn't talk much, but she's a great listener." Leaning the weapons against the wall, Thonas runs his hands across the front of his old armour. The golden symbol of Kord sits on the right breast. He removes the armour from the mannequin and goes about removing his plate armour, sitting it back on the mannequin. After donning the scale, he removes his dull sword from it's sheath and rests it against the mannequin. With quiet reverence, he slides Frosty into the sheath and straps it onto his back. His final item is a small ruby amulet, sitting at the base of the statue. He instead puts on the choker he won from the challenge. Holding his pendant aloft, he calls "This does not appear to be mine, did anyone lose an amulet? And Walker, you can have your halberd back if you want it."

23. - Top - End - #83

Avit opens up the vial and embraces the flow of memory and sensations that were somewhat dulled thanks to hell. Now, he is a complete being, maybe because he is the least affected by their time in hell, he now regains most of the memory he had lost unconsciously through his time in hell. Overwhelmed by the sudden surge of memories, Avit could not help but shed a tear, as the worry and sorrow for his hometown, is revived, walking to his Hide Armour, and making sure everything is in check, he turns to his teammates, waiting to see what was the plan next, wondering in excitement and fear, how much the world has changed since their departure.

24. - Top - End - #84

Lotho's thoughts run along a similar line to Avit's, but he ponders the matter out loud.

"How long do you think we have been gone? A few years? Hundreds? So much must have changed... so many must now be dead. Will anyone even recognize us or remember us? I almost hope not, our failure before will not serve us well upon our return."

If I am robbed of my vengeance by my stay here, then those responsible for it will pay doubly!

"May those I wish dead be still living, so that I may end their lives myself." Lotho says to himself, just above an inaudible whisper.

I'll twist the blade as I pick each of them apart piece by bloody piece.

Lotho eyes flash for a moment, and he grins.

"Ah, how good it is to be alive!" he says.
    Last edited by The_King_of_Durf; 2008-09-13 at 09:07 AM.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Walker takes the vial containing his own soul, opens it and draws the contents into himself, and then smashes it into tiny fragments. Ahh, at last... Strength flows through him again, truly his own this time, and it feels wonderful. He cares not for how much time has passed, for his intended prey surely lives on. On hearing Thonas's offer to return the weapon, he shakes his head. Keep it. The sands suit me better.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"And those we wish living will still be dead," Cale adds quietly upon hearing Lotho's words. Her tone is grim, but not one of rebuke...at least not directed at the halfling. Having absorbed the vial of essence, Cale looks less fragmented than before, but no happier.

She approaches her mannequin, and immediately searches out her spellbooks. She opens the volumes one by one and flips through them, eyes flashing as she scans the pages as if to dare them to withhold any secrets from her. Only then does she reclaim the rest of her old gear, putting aside the stinking fragments of crudely tanned hide and rotted cloth she'd scavenged in Avernus in exchange for her once-familiar armor, boots, and cloak.

Among her finds on the mannequin is the wizard's orb she had used in life, cool to the touch and swirling with grey mist. She studies its patterns for a moment, then stows it in a pouch at her belt. Along with it she places the cracked glass orb she had carried in the streets of the infernal city, perhaps as a reminder.

"I won't fail them this time," she promises quietly, then shakes off the returning memories to focus her attention on the space beyond the mannequins. She gestures, and a ball of golden light appears in the ari ahead of her, illuminating the path ahead. "Everyone ready?"

27. - Top - End - #87

"I was ready since we ended up in this damned place. I hope we'll near a city. Some good, real food. Wine! Beautiful women! Ahh, how truly great! I know we have a task ahead of us, but after this imprisonment I'd love a day or two of debauchery to wind down. Or at least a few rounds of drinks tonight. Real drinks!"

Quite the opposite of his somber companion, Lotho is overexcited and ebullient. He practically sprints after Cale's light.

"Life!" he exclaims.
    Last edited by The_King_of_Durf; 2008-09-13 at 10:40 PM.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Walker nods and strides off down the hallway, for once looking almost hopeful, with an almost-sadistic half-smile on his face. Life, after all, means more battle lies ahead.

29. - Top - End - #89

Thonas

"Did you hear that little buddy?" He wraps his arm around the halberd, as if it were a bar-room buddy. "You and me and Frosty, we are going to go an kill that son of a bitch dragon."

"Now you are talking."

"Come on, time to live again." He picks up the halberd and follows Walker down the hallway.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Cale keeps pace with the group, a step or two behind the more heavily armed vanguard. still maneuvering the ball of light a few metres ahead. Her expression is alert, but practical and businesslike, a faded reflection of the open curiosity with which she used to greet any newly discovered place...