New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Test

1. - Top - End - #31
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Test

Heheh...I would comment about you spending too much time online on a Saturday night, but that would be hypocritical.

I showed Rich the complete list of avatars, and he was so offended to his graphic design core that he's in the process of changing them.

I won't say more, other than to say that if you picked one of the avatars that came with this board...wait for Rich's announcement and then select a new one.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Everyone who was concerned about avatars: Go check the new avatar thread. There is a whole new set of unique pictures, drawn by yours truly. Bask in my artistic mastery.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

hey wow. Yeah, it looks ok to me, though it's a little blurry cause I have the size wrong...soI'm a big red X...guess I;ll try that site. Thanks.

-------------so can you see me now???

that strike9 site gave me an error and I couldn't get to it. so I did a search for free avatar hosting and went with villagephotos.com.

Plus side: Took me all of 2 minutes

Down side: have to login once every 30 days or account is cancelled.
    I can't get no sleep.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Here's an interesting question; how did the "Test" board become the biggest board?
    \"But we must think of the golfers! Our retrorockets will scorch the green for at least 100 yards!\" &&-Batman, on why not to pursue the Joker.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Because for a while, it was the only thread.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

6. - Top - End - #36

and it's because this is where all the cool kids hang out.

8)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

I just noticed that when you change your profile, ALL your posts change, too. Even the ones already up.

Interesting, no?
    \"But we must think of the golfers! Our retrorockets will scorch the green for at least 100 yards!\" &&-Batman, on why not to pursue the Joker.

8. - Top - End - #38

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I would prefer that it didn't retroactively change things. for security reasons. It's possible for you to be real offensive, then turn around and take it away.

9. - Top - End - #39

Should we re-name it the Ninja boards, then?
    :P
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

10. - Top - End - #40

I run a small message board for my D&D players and it does the same retroactive thing.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

I've never seen board software NOT do that. Part of it is a size thing. Currently all that has to be stored in memory is the contents of each post and signature lines, avatars, etc. are loaded from profiles when each page is loaded.

If those became separate instances as well then there would be a huge jump in the amount of space these boards took up as all of that information would have to be stored for each post.

12. - Top - End - #42

I've never seen board software NOT do that. Part of it is a size thing. Currently all that has to be stored in memory is the contents of each post and signature lines, avatars, etc. are loaded from profiles when each page is loaded.

If those became separate instances as well then there would be a huge jump in the amount of space these boards took up as all of that information would have to be stored for each post.
    Not really. The way this board works (flat text files on the server's hard drive) signature and avatar information could easily be added to the post information without any impact on RAM, and Hard Drive space is cheap...

If you have spent any time on EZBoard, you'll see that it actually saves signatures and such with the post. They also allow for removing the ability to modify posts on specific boards, disallowing the same scenario from happening to specific posts in "flame-prone" forums.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RawBearNYC
    Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I would prefer that it didn't retroactively change things. for security reasons. It's possible for you to be real offensive, then turn around and take it away.
    Actually, my concern is more personal. I can be random at times, and occassionally like to change stuff. But I also like to keep the old stuff around, too, just to see how things change over time.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

Default there's something ya don't get to hear everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    What kind of world do we live in where a man can't display a rabbit with a pancake on its head freely?
    so what was the story behind the pic anyways? a breakfast-loving wabbit?
    Stop jerks like Xykon in the REAL world: &&http://www.ecologyfund.com

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

one thing i find odd about this board though, is that you can post stuff 3 years laters :P

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

Except you can't... Posting on threads older than (I believe) one month(?) old is considered thread necromancy.
    "I'll make you party at my funeral
    'Cause mourning is for suckers.
    I'll rent a ferris wheel and
    cotton candy machine and have open bar
    with all the Pabst that you can drink
    the PA blasting my Clash records.
    You'll finally know that life's okay
    Even when bad things happen"
    Stand There Until You're Sober,
    Bomb the Music Industry!

17. - Top - End - #47

This is BY FAR the greatest episode of threadmomancy I ahve EVER seen.

TURN UNTHREAD!
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

18. - Top - End - #48

Aren't you guys Vigilante Modding? Am I Vigilante moddigin by asking that? AAAAAAAA!!!!
    Proud dictator of the miko fan club
    If you wanna be cool and join the Miko Fan Club,
    just put Miko in your sig and make up a position!
    Ambitious lieutenant of the Miko Mafia
    nuclear physicist of the Hinjo fan club

19. - Top - End - #49
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by starwoof
    This is BY FAR the greatest episode of threadmomancy I ahve EVER seen.

TURN UNTHREAD!
    Yup, this is by far the greatest case of thread necromancy possible, being that this was the first thread to ever exist on the board.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

20. - Top - End - #50

The Fairy Modmother: Yes, thread necromancy is highly frowned upon in these forums. One should take great care to peruse the forum rules available here: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1133174775

Thread Necromancy
    Bringing a thread back from “the dead.” If a thread has fallen to page three and hasn’t been posted in for a month and a half, don’t post in it. Start a new topic if you want to discuss the subject.
    And vigilante modding is also against the rules:

Vigilante Modding
    If you’re not a moderator, don’t act like one. Rich has selected a few people he trusts to keep an eye on conversations here. Please refrain from chastising other posters over breaking the rules, especially concerning minor things. The proper response when you see someone breaking these rules is a PM to the local moderator. At most, you may courteously link to this thread. But whatever you do, do not tell other posters what to do, what rules they have broken, that they are "spamming", etc. Posters who do so excessively will be issued a warning for their actions.
    Founding member of the Kaylee club. If your relationship with your batteries has been going on for almost a year now, you can join too! Strawberries and Big City Doctors for all!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

sorry about this then, i was just curious to c if it was even possible

*ping*

now a lv1 threadmomancer

22. - Top - End - #52

Yup, its possible. None of the old threads get automatically locked or deleted after a time, nor do they get archived to a locked forum. So it is technically possible to revive any thread that hasn't been intentionally locked, deleted or moved to "The Dump" by a moderator.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, and I though my Thread Necromany skills where good with taking the FB's "Not Pr0n" thread from last... November (pg. 30) was bad. ;D

I wish I could have done this..!
    Hmm.. guess we should let fall back into it's deep, dark, word filled grave..

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻
    Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You're still in the fire. Why are you in the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You died.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pagz
    one thing i find odd about this board though, is that you can post stuff 3 years laters :P
    I think the lesson here falls under that ancient maxim: "Just because you can do a thing, does not mean you should do that thing."

(Just don't ever say that to an engineer or a tinker gnome or a software developer. Last time I tried that I got the response, "If it ain't broke, I haven't messed with enough, yet.")

Hmm.. guess we should let fall back into it's deep, dark, word filled grave..
    I suppose that's best. But I had to get my two cents in. :P
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

25. - Top - End - #55

Seeing as this is the thread called 'test', and this thread has recently been revived, I can think of no better place to use for a test post.

Computer clock (atomically synched): 12:20am
    Watch: 12:22am
    Board time at +14 offset: 12:20am

Board times appear to still be accurate.