New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default The continent of Urnush part 1 [Group 1] [IC]

2 weeks ago up untill now

Washing up on the beach coughing and spluttering all of you dragged yourselves off the floatsam and each other and collapsed on the beach. Drifting in and out of consciousness.

Woken up the next day by the quiet lapping of the waves you all struggle up the beach to the grass covered dunes behind the beach. You see small crabs waddling around sideways on the beach. There are small rockpools with limpits and starfish and other small wierd fish that live in the rock pools. There are some that defy all knowledge. There is a small one with bright orange fins but no lateral fins the body is bright blue with tentacles coming out sideways.

About 100 metres behind the sand the grass starts properly. Duney wavey grass waves free in the wind. After about a week of exploring the island properly you find but one patch of trees atop a hill. The only hill actually on the island standing in the middle.

From the centre of the hill you can tell that the island is roughly the same all the way around. Small crystal clear pools of water are dotted all around the beach. There is one river more of a babbling brook running from the centre of the copse of trees down the eastern side of the island and into the sea. The trees albeit few are very tall and very old. They are roughly 120 feet high each and around 7 feet through the centre. There are around 30 trees with inumerable small bushes around the base. These give berries that keep you sustained yet, when you go back the next day there are double the amount of berries picked grown back on the bush.

Water from the river is crystal clear deliciously cool and fine to drink as well. The only question remains now how will you get off this awful island and continue on with your mission?
    Last edited by Thoranius; 2008-09-06 at 06:58 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The continent of Urnush part 1 [Group 1] [IC]

Hehe survival check GOOOO!
    Spoiler
    Show

survival check
    [roll0] (I get a synergy bonus from my comapnion helping me.)
    comapnions roll
    [roll1]

Charels, and his companion shadow sserach around for a food soruce other than berries. Perhaps some live exotic game, or some fish. A mans health will gho to hell if they only eat berries, and he needs to make sure everyone is capable in a fight if they get attacked.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GAH!
    sprry for the double post, but rolsl are essential.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+13)[27]
    comapnions roll
    (1d20+8)[16]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: The continent of Urnush part 1 [Group 1] [IC]

Plucked from the water only to be returned to its icy embrace, the bedraggled Calbenidhren wakes on the sandy shore dismally. Over the next few days, as the group regains its strength, he quietly conducts burial rites for the fallen soldiers and sailors who were less fortunate.

As the days continue to pass, he turns his mind to other things, sending his familiar, a hawk named Cedric, to scout the area and search for signs of other survivors.

Spoiler
    Show
    The hawk looks for survivors and anything of note.
    Spot: (1d20)[20] + 16

The wizard also begins to search the shores, gathering bits of debris and flotsam that might prove useful in crafting a makeshift raft, should the need arise. He lets the others know that his selection of spells is woefully inadequate for the tasks at hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Calben searches for useful bits of flotsam along the shore.
    Search: (1d20)[14] + 10

Actually, after the first day, he takes 20 as there really isn't much else to do.
    Search: 20 + 10

The wizard sends his familiar to pluck small branches from the great trees, preferable ones that will not be missed, from which he then attempts to craft arrows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Untrained Craft: (1d20)[20] + 4

((Calben would also be up for conversations during this time, if anyone else would like to chat.))
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

The Druid comes back an armload of berries, and other various goodies.
    "I apolgise for the lack of game, but thw only thing i could chance upon was fish. Perhaps we shall have more luck in the further days."

6. - Top - End - #6

smile Re: The continent of Urnush part 1 [Group 1] [IC]

"Berries are perfectly sufficient for me, old friend." Calben answers with a faint smile, a hint of amusement in his eyes, "Though, I fear our human friends hunger for richer fare. Give my share of fish to them."

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Sade joins Calben in conducting burial rites, and spends most of her time burying bodies. She refuses most of the food offered, eating only half the amount as others, and eating only berries at that. The others feel hunger, and she would keep them from pain at this time, when many might die. After that, she goes off on her own to explore the surrounding areas until nightfall, collecting any food she finds and bringing it back to the rest.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

"Fish is not something we lack my freind. Me, and shadow here are quite adept at fishing without the tools of civillisation."

Spoiler
    Show

If I go by the survival charts in the PHB, I have enough food to feed 6 people for the day.

9. - Top - End - #9

biggrin Re: The continent of Urnush part 1 [Group 1] [IC]

"I know, however I am also an elf and my life flows slowly, berries content me where they would not a more hot-blooded race." The wizard replies quietly, a shadow of a frown crossing his features, "Your concern would be better spent on... The quiet human, she barely eats and speaks even less. Do you know her name?"

~Kahlil Gibran

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

"No I'm afraid I have no knowldge of the quiet woman, although her refusal to eat does bother me. We must all keep our strength at its peak if we wish to get off this island."
    He tosses a portion of his wish to his dog.
    ((Does anyone have any fulff injuries, because Ia actually have a couple spells, and ther like that would help you.))

11. - Top - End - #11

Question Re: The continent of Urnush part 1 [Group 1] [IC]

"I have been wondering, Krand, though I only now have the time to ask... You seem to have changed a great deal since we last met." The wizard looks at the druid appraisingly, "What has happened to you in that time?"

~Kahlil Gibran

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

The druid sighed, and stroked his wolf affectionately along the flank.
    "Alot of terrible things happened when you left that party Calbenidhren. My entire family was killed by orcish raiders shortly after along with my teacher. but, do not weep for them they died bravely, and saving the few clansmen, adn women that survived that night."
    he then goes to the quiet woman offering her berries, and some of the little fresh water he had found.

13. - Top - End - #13

frown Re: The continent of Urnush part 1 [Group 1] [IC]

Calben stands in the shadows of the trees alone for a long moment, pondering this troubling news. Finally, he sighs and looks after the druid, None the less, I shall mourn them... To die bravely is still to die. It is still an ending. The wizard shakes his head sadly and walks back to the shore to resume his search for useful flotsam.

~Kahlil Gibran

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Krandattempts to give the silent woman a fish, and says.
    "I understand your moruning of the dead I have lost amny a loved one to deaths cold grasp. But we must get through this together, and if we want to survive we have to work together."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The silent woman sits on the ground, looking up at the sky, a whimsical look in her eyes. She ignores the druid for several minutes. Finally, she looks up at him, and there seems to be the faintest of smiles on her face. "What makes you think I mourn the dead?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well you neglected food as is custom in some parts, you took great part in their burial, and have been genraly silent until now. I apolligise if this seems rude, I merely owrry for your health."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

The silent woman looks him in the eye and smiles. There is no mirth in her smile, but nor is it malicious. "Don't" she says softly, and without another word, walks off.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Charels is rather confused by the womans odd response, and decides its best not to worry. he then sets abotu gathering fire wood for the nights fire, and perhaps a place to roast the fish for dinner.

Survival
    Spoiler
    Show

to find the wood.
    (1d20+13)[28]
    to start the fire boy scout style.
    (1d20+11)[21]
    once again going by the PHB descrpitions I made both checks unless theGM rules otherwise on a completely fluff related skill check.
    Last edited by Fan; 2008-09-07 at 01:58 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

confused Re: The continent of Urnush part 1 [Group 1] [IC]

"You miserable failure." Sylea thought to herself, watching that cursed ocean where the ship had sunk. She was sitting at the edge of the beach, apart from the rest; the sun burnt down on her, scorching her fair elven skin. The warrior simply stared out at the sea.

Shouts of pain. Screams of death. She could see, all around her, her human allies cut down by a torrential downpour of arrows. She was helpless. She had her bow in hand, she was picking off the enemy wherever she could; but it seemed to do nothing. The dead piled up, the fleet's ships sunk, the screams, the screams, everywhere the screams.

"Battle," the elf snorted, "What purpose does it even serve?"

"No..." Sylea thought to herself, "This is what I must do. I cannot waver; I cannot flinch away from conflict. I hate killing. But there's that rush... No, no, senseless violence is ruinous. I could see their faces, friend and foe alike. The contortions of a human's death scream is the same, no matter what is in their heart. Were they even evil? Did they even want to be there, to fight? Why can't the world be black and white?"

"Battle must be fought. It is inevitable. But why could I not save anyone? Why am I so useless? They fell around me, my comrades; why? Why am I so useless? Why, after all these conflicts, all these battles, all the blood on my hands - why does it still bother me? It's destroy or be destroyed. I am doing what I must. But, in doing that, why am I not better? Why am I not able to save anyone? Why am I so f***ing useless?"

Tears rolling down her face, she lifted her leather-clad hand to strike herself. She stopped her self-hating strike shortly before she struck. "No, no. I can't do this. These people... friends, comrades; I cannot leave them. He would never forgive me; ah, brother, your heart always was purer than mine. I must be strong. I must do my best to save those that remain. Grief, grief is for later."

With that, the elf rose to her feet. Training; yes, training would clear her mind. The focus would numb the pain. Her body went into the familiar rituals of her training, single-minded focus taking over her mind.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((OOC: Yeah, ridiculous angst. I think it fits her character, however, and I don't think it was so over-the-top that it got ridiculous. It's sort of based on what I think I would do if I killed someone in a war. Except for the fact that I doubt I'd be able to go on... Then again, I'm not a hero, am I?))

-----

Three hours later, Sylea walked slowly back to the camp, slumping to the ground, completely fatigued. Only a small tinge of redness remained around her eyes, a minute vestige of her tears; perhaps noticeable on close inspection, but nonetheless concealed to her own satisfaction. Her long, flowing white hair glistened whenever the sun's rays hit it; it was, after all, filled with drill-induced sweat. None of the commonplace elven braids graced her locks - a conscious choice, and one that made her less noticeably elven. Her ears poked out slightly from her snowy mane, identifying her clearly as an elf. Her now-wild hair stuck slightly to her face, the sweat serving as an adhesive.

From behind her bangs, piercing gold eyes surveyed the other members of the party. Knowing that, in the earlier days of their expedition, she had been all smiles and friendliness, Sylea forced herself to smile now. From a distance, it would seemed to be a normal smile; however, close up, there was an indescribable weakness to her facial expression. Certainly, one perceptive about matters of emotions (or familiar with Sylea's own peculiarities) would be able to easily pick up that something was wrong.

Pulling her tools out of her nearby pack, she began to work on crafting more arrows. Sylea kept to herself, not attempting to initiate any interaction with the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((OOC: Awright, I know my backstory hasn't been really solidly explained anywhere (I'm having trouble getting it into a readable form)... But, if anyone wants to say that they knew Sylea pre-expedition, go for it and we'll fill in the details as we go along. Improv FTW!

Ah, and sorry for the poor writing throughout, my brain seems to have shut off for the weekend. I'm really just trying to get this written so I can begin the game. ))

Trained Craft (Bowmaking) for arrows: (1d20+6)[16]
    In the time that she's been here, I'm gonna say that Sylea also was working on a normal shortbow that she plans to give to Gordon if completed:
    Craft (Bowmaking) for shortbow (Week 1): (1d20+6)[10]
    (Week 2): (1d20+6)[13]
    Last edited by Salvonus; 2008-09-07 at 02:20 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

charels walked over to the sweat covered woman, and offered her a bowl of water, and a roasted fish.((This seems to be my way of introducing myself to people.))
    "hard at work I see. I nesssscity I know, but if you over work yourself you could get hurt. Pull a muscel or something."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Heh, thanks." Sylea replied, ever so slightly cheered up by the thought of solid food after a day of unintentional fasting. "I doubt I'll pull a muscle - these exercises are very controlled. Focused. It's helpful..." she mumbled, trailing off at the end.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

"So am I the only one without a plan here? I see you were making weapons, but what use would they have here there seems to be almost no game to speak off, and a bow isn't going to help us fish."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

DM

Surprisingly enough there is actually no fish about. Whilst the druid though at one time he saw the flash of a rabbit or two following the trail he found nothing. Not even a hole for them to have escaped down. It seemed almost as if the island was devoid totally of life except in the small pools on the beach. Then inspiration struck. Catching and cooking a few of the shelled creatures you though was a brilliant idea. But when done, they smelled simply repungent and you couldn't stomach eating any of them.

Calben made a few arrows which surprisingly turned out a hell of alot better than you all thought they would. Yet they are still unflighted as of yet as you have found no feathers on the island to attach to them.

((3 MWK arrows. No flights yet))

Sylea as well decides to make a few arrows and a pair of short bows. The arrows come out fine albeit having the same problem of having no flights. The bows to come out as what appear to be functional and workable.

((9 Normal Arrows. No flights, 2 shortbows))

After having collected all useable pieces of floatsam and other large pieces of driftwood, lashing them all together seemed a problem up untill Cedric returned with a piece of vine from somewhere. Sending him off to get more there was more than enough to lash the raft together. Having buried all other bodies you found you leave the raft on the beach for the night and return to your camping spot. Charels has been vigilant enough in gathering enough food and fresh water for you all so you are all rested and at full strength. His fire sparks and you all rest well.

Waking and rousing at daybreak you hear a single large splash from the beach....

((Feel free to RP over the actions of the past night as well))

24. - Top - End - #24

confused Re: The continent of Urnush part 1 [Group 1] [IC]

Quote Originally Posted by Thoranius View Post
    Yet they are still unflighted as of yet as you have found no feathers on the island to attach to them.
    ((Hawk familiar. He gives me a loose tail feather.))

Quote Originally Posted by Thoranius View Post
    After having collected all usable pieces of flotsam and other large pieces of driftwood, lashing them all together seemed a problem up until Cedric returned with a piece of vine from somewhere. Sending him off to get more there was more than enough to lash the raft together. Having buried all other bodies you found you leave the raft on the beach for the night and return to your camping spot. Charels has been vigilant enough in gathering enough food and fresh water for you all so you are all rested and at full strength. His fire sparks and you all rest well.

Waking and rousing at daybreak you hear a single large splash from the beach....
    Calben 'slept' restlessly during the night and awoke long before dawn. Paging through his spellbook in the flickering fire light gave him little relief to his anxiety. Eventually, he closed his book with a frown and stared up at the light beginning to trickle through the branches high above... Then he hears the splash. The Wizard swiftly awakens those who are still asleep, giving no explanation other than to gesture cautiously in the direction of the splash. Carefully, he then creeps towards the shore, Cedric alighting on his shoulder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20)[14] + 13
    Move Silently: (1d20)[7] + 4
    Hide: (1d20)[11] + 4
    Saves
    Will( +6): (1d20)[20] (1d20)[15]
    Fort( +4): (1d20)[7] (1d20)[17]
    Reflex( +5): (1d20)[15] (1d20)[1]

I'm heading into the capital today, I'll post when I can. Mod Calben as needed, don't hold up for me.

~Kahlil Gibran

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Charels being an elf had only tranced for 4 hours of the night, and had begun prayer to nature early. Shortly after he noticed one of the other elvs awakening, and was wide awake when he pointed out the splash. He then awoke his companion, and went to investigate. (you guys seem to forget that elves only need 4 hours of "trance".)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

DM

((This should allow you to amend / plan your actions accordingly I am answering to Calben allone so Charels feel free to change your actions if you want))

Creeping off down towards the beach you watch Calben go when suddenly he stops. He looks around and then into the air, following his line of sight you see what appears to be a dragon. Well a dragon with most of its flesh missing, and bones sticking out everywhere. You can see both of its eyes gleaming with a cold malice but no intelligence and pieces of seaweed are stuck to it. Calben falters back a few steps then lets loose an ear piercing scream of "DRAGONNN!".

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

"OH ****!"
    is Charels ONLy response to that, he quikly sets about gathering what food was left from yesterday, and bundling it up in one of the many hide packs he carried with him.
    "MOVE, MOVE, MOVE!"

28. - Top - End - #28

Lightbulb Re: The continent of Urnush part 1 [Group 1] [IC]

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaihaku
    Mod Calben as needed, don't hold up for me.
    Opps, I think I should have worded that more carefully.

How close is the undead dragon to the raft?

{table]Character | AC - FF | HP
    Calben | 13 - 9 | 19/19[/table]

{table]Condition | Details | Target | Duration[/table]

{table]Will Saves | Fort Saves | Reflex Saves
    26, 19 | 11, 21| 20, 6[/table]

Calben winces almost immediately as he panics and blows his cover. There's no time for preparation now, only action. Muttering an elvish curse, the Wizard sends his familiar away with a nod of his head, the hawk soaring back to gather the others. He takes a deep breath, struggling to calm himself, It's not a dragon... It's a zombie... It was a dragon, now it's a zombie. He steps back to the others, stating in a cold clear voice, "It's undead." He scowls, "It doesn't look...intelligent but...I'm far from an expert on such foul matters."

Action 1:
    Spoiler
    Show
    What, if anything, does he deduce about the Dragon? Can I get a rough age category?
    Knowledge(Arcana): (1d20)[14] + 10
    General Intelligence: (1d20)[5] + 4
    30ft move back to the others.

Calben mentally checks the spells he has prepared, his scowl deepening as he realizes that several of them are useless. "Fight or flight, answer me now without debate...there is no time for indecision."

Action 2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll post the second action once the others reply.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-09-08 at 12:18 AM.

~Kahlil Gibran

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Gordon remains distant from the other survivors during their stay on the island, although he is friendly if approached. He frequently went down to the beach, staring out into the sea while collecting floatsam and attempting to catch fish with his net. After it become clear that there were no fish to be caught save for the strange ones in the pools, he stopped and instead focused on collecting debris.

Fortunately for him, Gordon was not down on the beach that morning. Instead he was busy meditating on their situation in their makeshift camp. Had he made a mistake in joinning with the fleet? Or was this exactly where he was supposed to be?

Spoiler
    Show

Listen:(1d20+7)[13]

I'll let you decide the appropriate modifiers for whether or not Gordon hears Calben's panicked shout from the beach.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Its about 120 foot in the air around 30 feet away from the raft.

Calben don't worry whoever had spotted it first would've screamed, its a no save minor fear SPA.

Its around a young age category it is definatley not hatchling but might be a little older.