New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: 120 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 108

move over Bampf I have a new favorite sound effect. Redox.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fire In The Hole indeed. Those units not burned are very likely to get monoxided! I assume all living units breathe air. Stanley said that his perfect warlord must breate air and such. Note that golems (crap, metal or otherwise) don't breathe...Does fire heal metal golems...?

I can see why Sizemore has moral problems with this. Setting a whole bunch of people on fire is pretty nasty.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

1) The "nuncle" that the fool says is part of his character: The Fool in King Lear uses the word all the time. You may recall: the Fool in King Lear is the companion of a deposed once-powerful warlord king, wandering around expecting to be discovered and destroyed. Not too terribly unlike our beloved Tool.

2) I also assume the reaction being used is some form of Greek Fire or Napalm. The latter is a mixture of gasoline and thickening agents such as a fine white powder of an aluminum salt (so Wikipedia informs me; I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm the sort of person that just walks around knowing this stuff, not that's there's necessarily anything wrong with that). A barrel full of aluminum salt would seem to be well within the capabilities of a polymath dirtamancer, although the gasoline (especially refined gasoline, as opposed to oil) would seem a bit more of a stretch. I dunno, maybe you can do something similar with vegetable oil or animal fats.

3) The emphasis on chemistry and traps seems do argue against my "reactivate the volcano" notion. Chemistry and traps is in any case a better example of Parson's mind in action, rather than just exploiting an enormous overlooked resource; and it's probably safer for those on top of the Knob, too.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

People keep saying that the chemistry is a good example of parsons mind but I digress I think the chemistry is all a by-product of dirtamancy. I think many of this world's sciences have been changed and fused with the magic of Erfworld.
    Last edited by hiigaran; 2008-09-07 at 12:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't boop release a lot of methane?
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

Once again, Jack speaks in quotes. The context of the quote may be relevant, however:

Romeo and Juliet, Act 5, Scene III

Paris:
    Condemned villain, I do apprehend thee:
    Obey, and go with me; for thou must die.

Romeo:
    I must indeed; and therefore came I hither.
    Good gentle youth, tempt not a desperate man;
    Fly hence, and leave me: think upon these gone;
    Let them affright thee. I beseech thee, youth,
    Put not another sin upon my head,
    By urging me to fury: O, be gone!
    By heaven, I love thee better than myself;
    For I come hither arm'd against myself:
    Stay not, be gone; live, and hereafter say,
    A madman's mercy bade thee run away.

Romeo, believing Juliet dead, has returned to commit suicide in her tomb, so that they can be together in death. Jack's specific quote is Romeo's warning to Paris not to interfere, because Romeo (in his madness) might kill him.

It could imply that Jack wants to remain mad, or even to croak; perhaps he blames himself for the fall of Faq. Maybe he's trying to warn Parson that restoring his sense of self would actually work against Parson in some way--perhaps by leading Jack to betray Stanley outright.

Of course, it could just be a conveniently responsive line, with no further reference to the original context. I look forward to seeing how it plays out.
    "That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be."
    --Kirien, Seeker's Mask

7. - Top - End - #37

NecromancerGuy

There are quick and dirty ways for making napalm. One of which can be found in your military field handbook, as I recall that one is simply gasoline and popcorn. Styrofoam packing popcorn that is.

However I agree that Greek fire is more likely in Erfworld. it doesn't require any advanced materials. Either way, whatever he is using either floats on water or is a liquid itself.

And as several have pointed out, underlined with the Redox bit, fire of any kind in an enclosed space will remove oxygen from the cave and replace it with CO2 and CO. Enough fire, and the cave will be impossible to navigate by anything that requires oxygen to live.

This may well be Parsons dastardly plan to shut down the caves as a point of entry. remove all the oxygen. Although... Somehow I just don't see giant pastel colored teddy bears as needing oxygen to live. ;P

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Oh, fire.
    Just the way Beavis and Butthead loves it. And me :)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Zuber View Post
    Although... Somehow I just don't see giant pastel colored teddy bears as needing oxygen to live. ;P
    Sure, but i would put money on the Heavy-Metal golems over the Soft-Plush-Fully-Flamable golems any day of the week.

The plush golems would probably take less than normal damage from pointy weapons (might even have an entrapment chance) and more from slashing weapons.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Although... Somehow I just don't see giant pastel colored teddy bears as needing oxygen to live. ;P
    Yes, but they probably BURN very nicely...
    Whatever doesn't breath will burn, and whatever doesn't breath or burn(or avoids the burning), will not be enough to take the tunnels

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

the best part of the strip, the sound effects, bloop, redax, priceless.
    Last edited by the_tick_rules; 2008-09-07 at 01:09 PM.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

(...)
    This may well be Parsons dastardly plan to shut down the caves as a point of entry. remove all the oxygen. Although... Somehow I just don't see giant pastel colored teddy bears as needing oxygen to live. ;P
    Pastel colored teddy bears are heavy units and thus couldn't be brought to the tunnels.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

So anyone else take note of how The golem activating the traps does not appear to be one of the 4 golems we saw earlier

Methinks that Sizemore may have been bulking up his golem troops for the past couple of turns
    Which is smething people have been suspecting as back then people were arguing over whether or not they were hard rock golems or metal golems... They appeared to be metal golems, but their was supposedly only one metal golem while their was 4 hard rock golems... only way they could have been metal golems is if Sizemore made more that very turn
    Last edited by slayerx; 2008-09-07 at 01:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rman View Post
    Sure, but i would put money on the Heavy-Metal golems over the Soft-Plush-Fully-Flamable golems any day of the week.
    Oh I agree, the Heavy-Metal Golems are undoubtedly tougher. And we also have some other assorted Golems to work with. But if the Plushies CAN assault the tunnel, there are a LOT of plushies. Parsons team doesn't have a lot of golems to work with. And if oxygen is gone, that would presumably take the goblins out of the action as well.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    1) The "nuncle" that the fool says is part of his character: The Fool in King Lear uses the word all the time. You may recall: the Fool in King Lear is the companion of a deposed once-powerful warlord king, wandering around expecting to be discovered and destroyed. Not too terribly unlike our beloved Tool.
    Ahhh. Thank you.

(Sorry, I meant to say last panel of the first row earlier...)

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone else think that the powders the golem is combining could be rust and aluminum? I'd think metal golems/dirtamancers would be able to handle that much.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Oh I agree, the Heavy-Metal Golems are undoubtedly tougher. And we also have some other assorted Golems to work with. But if the Plushies CAN assault the tunnel, there are a LOT of plushies. Parsons team doesn't have a lot of golems to work with. And if oxygen is gone, that would presumably take the goblins out of the action as well.
    Uncroaked would presumably have no problems (though Wanda would, so they'd be handicapped by lack of her bonus for leading them).

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I hope Parson remembered that Sizemore will have to breathe down there, too.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

So we have seen both the poison gas and the fire attack. Sizemore , with his luminous shovel is a killing machine. Imagine when Parson tells Stanley that the turd guy erased most of the Jetstone army,

I don't think these nasty killing methods have to do with Parson's chemical skills, I think these require casters, and probably part of dirtamancy.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-09-07 at 01:24 PM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

20. - Top - End - #50
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    I don't think these nasty killing methods have to do with Parson's chemical skills, I think these require casters, and probably part of dirtamancy.
    I'd say that it's a function of Dirtamancy, dressed up in the trappings of real-world chemistry. That fits the pattern of things we've seen in Erfworld.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ruthless."

Could be there's a decent chance of death.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Tola View Post

"Ruthless."

Could be there's a decent chance of death.
    I'm pulling for "the girl named Ruth quit when Parson became perfect." Hopefully she was a cook or something, and not a major, high-level unit.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Half_Moon View Post
    I love the sound effects and stuff. Like Redox

But where did all those corpses in the tunnels come from?
    I think the golem with the barrels is making some sort of poison in gas form, near the entry to GK, and that gas kills everything in the adjacent tunnel. Nearby, and shortly after, the second golem spreads the flammable stuff.

By the way, Jack Snipe is a bird name, is there any other reference?
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-09-07 at 01:53 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

I think the golem with the barrels is making some sort of poison in gas form, near the entry to GK, and that gas kills everything in the adjacent tunnel. Nearby, and shortly after, the second golem spreads the flammable stuff.
    I think those corpses are rather from lost marbit patrols or something. The powder is most probably an ignitor for the liquid.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

25. - Top - End - #55

RogueGuy

Hmm, Jack Snipe... a secretive and deceiving bird. Sounds like a foolamancer to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Snipe

I want a glowing shovel.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    So anyone else take note of how The golem activating the traps does not appear to be one of the 4 golems we saw earlier
    Is anyone enough of a metalhead to tell who the new golem is? I don't expect it to be impotant, but it would be cool to know.

Oh and Balance, nice quoting! I recognized the line as R&J, but couldn't place it. Thanks for saving me the time!

ETA:
    By the way, Jack Snipe is a bird name, is there any other reference?
    Well, there's the obvious verb, meaning to shoot with incredible precision.
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2008-09-07 at 02:03 PM.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

My chemistry would automatically tell me that the golem is mixing up a batch of thermite mostly because of the facts A)Black iron oxide and gunmetal coloured aluminium is the classic image of thermite being made and B) that thermite can be ignited without oxygen given sufficient temperature, is not hindered by wetness or lack of oxygen and can even turn the water it's being ignited in into hydrogen and oxygen, which as a result, burns and becomes water again.
    Wikipedia also mentions that the classic use of thermite in warfare is to disable enemy artillery (i.e. siege weapons) and thats a mighty fine sourmander there to get toasted.
    As to the appearance of such advanced warfare in a world full of magic, I doubt it's hard for Sizemore to seperate ores into their pure elements, given that rock is his business.
    Oh and point: People are talking like the caves are a closed system where no more oxygen can be introduced. Yeah if you go and inhale great lungfuls inside the blast radius you might drop dead, but the air will become reoxgenated by simple diffusion, not to mention that if these are mining tunnels, adequate ventilation systems will be installed.
    And I'm almost certain that "Breathe Underground" is included in Dirtamancy 101

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Its no wonder Sizemore had problems with this. I woudnt really had any problem with my conscience if I had to kill someone in a war, self-defense and all that, but killing people by setting them on fire is a really nasty and questionable way of killing.

Anyway, bonus point to Webinar there. But I'm sure Parson as a plan B.
    In memory of lord Shojo

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I think those corpses are rather from lost marbit patrols or something. The powder is most probably an ignitor for the liquid.
    Too many of them, and some aren't marbits (at least one of them has hair).

Parson in 119 says "Order Sizemore to start liquid and gas traps." This seems to cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by Querzis View Post
    Its no wonder Sizemore had problems with this. I woudnt really had any problem with my conscience if I had to kill someone in a war, self-defense and all that, but killing people by setting them on fire is a really nasty and questionable way of killing.
    Flame throwers, napalm, all of them heavily used in 20th century wars.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-09-07 at 02:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

CO is heavier than air; assuming that the caverns run uphill towards the castle, if the golem is mixing something that will create carbon monoxide, then the gas will drift down the passages towards the invading troops, asphyxiating them.

Same with the liquid fire; it's flowing from the defenders to the attackers, so the slope is obviously downhill.