New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: 120 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 108

I haven't seen it mentioned - that crap golem right behind sizemore in the first panel is the red hair monster from the old bugs bunny cartoon. Well, except that he isn't red, isn't made out of hair.... but he looks the same! Aside from the color thing, that is.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

You mean Gossamer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair-Raising_Hare

Not sure... same basic shape, but I'd have to see the crap sneakers to be sure.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Awesome, one of the crap golems looks like Hedorah the Smog Monster!
    Yup! It's Hedorah!

@rlyon@piolaxusa, sorry, but I was thinking the Smog monster when I was drawing that particular golem. Good guess though! I completely forgot about him. They do kind of look similar.
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Post Re: 120 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 108

Quote Originally Posted by Walpurgisborn View Post
    CO2 is death by suffocation, there's insufficient oxygen to allow for passive transport. CO is worse, it preferably binds to hemoglobin, meaning your red blood cells prefer to carry it over oxygen, and won't let it go.
    Correct regarding the CO, but you underestimate good old CO2.

CO2 does not kill by replacing the oxygen (that is, take the minimum amount of CO2 that is fatal, replace it with a non toxic inert gas, say more N2, and it would not be dangerous at all. You need to "replace" more O2 than that to make it unhealthy), but through more direct, dose-effective means.

If memory serves, the more CO2 you have, the more red blood cells are likely to release their O2 - that's how they release the O2 through the body, where they should (this mechanism also regulates the amount that is) released).
    The downside is that if CO2 levels rises in the lung, the red blood cells will be set to "release mode" so to speak, and will not be able to collect O2.
    Replace that CO2 with more N2 (say), and they'll collect O2 as efficiently as usual.

And on a more erfworldy note:
    Loved the "Redox"!
    Best unsound effect ever.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PePe_QuiCoSE View Post
    yeah, i get that. I was aiming for an additional meaning to the onomatopoeia... i think i might have got a bit spoiled
    Looking up "GLERSH" on Google, your post asking about it is listed as #8.
    New Terminator movie = Awesome!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

My guess is that what we're seeing is actually the hard rock golem putting down what is a simple fuse.

Basicly he's releasing water mixed with naphtha (or some other light and flammable liquid) and the pile is some sort of mix that ignites when it comes into contact with water.
    Thus, the water spreads, and spreads, and then it comes into contact with the pile,which ignites and lights the naphtha.

*foom!*

Instant cave-wide inferno and a lot of roasted and soon to be air-less marbits and jetstones.

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Gamebird View Post
    Looking up "GLERSH" on Google, your post asking about it is listed as #8.
    Does that not just show what a cool, hip and otherwise extremly well connected place this is?

GLERSH <n> onomatipea, the sound made by viscous inflamable liquid when released into an underground tunnel complex

(this Fictional words from Erfworld section is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it

8. - Top - End - #158

PARSON: Order Sizemore to start liquid and gas traps.

And then in the next few frames we see:

- a mixing of powder that undergoes an oxidising reaction

- a sluice gate releasing a great mass of gooey liquid

HOW HARD IS IT???

The powder is the gas generator, the liquid is the... liquid!

they are not otherwise conected!

BTW- I think the liquid may be the rendered fat of MANY corpses

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by shamelessmerc View Post
    Does that not just show what a cool, hip and otherwise extremly well connected place this is?

GLERSH <n> onomatipea, the sound made by viscous inflamable liquid when released into an underground tunnel complex

(this Fictional words from Erfworld section is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it
    You seem to be willign to ref. Wiki. I have to ask, how to I complain about the deletion of an artical that I felt was apropreate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rlyon@piolaxusa View Post
    I haven't seen it mentioned - that crap golem right behind sizemore in the first panel is the red hair monster from the old bugs bunny cartoon. Well, except that he isn't red, isn't made out of hair.... but he looks the same! Aside from the color thing, that is.
    Ah. I was wondering who that was. Thanks.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zolem View Post
    You seem to be willign to ref. Wiki. I have to ask, how to I complain about the deletion of an artical that I felt was apropreate?
    There are several ways. If you feel the deletion itself was performed inappropriately, there's Deletion Review; you shouldn't use that if you merely disagree with the deletion, though, since its rules are fairly stacked against restoring articles except in the most extreme cases.

The best way is really just to figure out why the article was deleted, and create a new version that fixes the problem. The easiest way to do that is by citing a long list of reliable sources for the new article -- notice how Erfworld's article was once deleted, but the new version has an entire page of sources from all over the place. That protects it from being deleted again.

Good sources can answer almost every reason people have for deleting articles. They show, basically, that there is something to write about here (without having editors just research the topic themselves or invent it or write stuff that nobody can verify.) Arguing with people on Wikipedia over an article is unlikely to help very much (and may just turn people against you), but articles with lots and lots of reliable high-profile sources are almost never deleted, so adding those (or creating a new version with them) is almost always more effective.

Do not simply repost what was there before, though. The addition of sources (or otherwise fixing the problems people raised in the AFD) is also vital to escape deletion as a straight recreation of previously-deleted material. Also, note in the talk page of the new article that it was deleted, and indicate what you changed and why you think this addresses the AFD -- this is important, since it lets admins know that you're not just mindlessly recreating it, ensures they know that the new version is substantially different from the old one, and so forth.

(Also, how was the article you want to restore deleted? It matters. If it was merely PROD-ed, say, you can just recreate it whenever you want; if it was speedied you can recreate it whenever you want, too, but you have to make sure it doesn't meet the criteria it was speedied under; if it was AFDed you can recreate it if you substantially rewrite it to address the problems for which it was AFDed; and if it was, say, deleted by executive action because the Wikimedia Foundation ordered it to be deleted, there is nothing you can do it all -- although that only generally happens in extreme cases, where an article's existence potentially threatens Wikipedia itself or exposes the site to immediate, impending legal action, and the existing mechanisms failed to deal with it.)

EDIT: Assuming you are User:Zolem on Wikipedia, it looks like your article was speedy-deleted over notability concerns. Addressing the speedy criteria is very easy; notice where it says "Under the criteria for speedy deletion, articles that do not assert the subject's importance or significance may be deleted at any time." All you have to do to avoid deletion under that rule is assert notability (not prove it, just say it.) However, to avoid an eventual AFD, it would be best if you could show it, too; provide links to the band's website and other places to cite things about them, to reviews to illustrate their reception, to places where sales figures are reported to indicate how much they sell and so forth. Look at other articles on similar bands, see what they say, then dig up the same data for the band you want to write an article on, and source it. This will protect against deletion over the longer term.

See also the notability guidelines for music. Those are not hard-and-fast rules, but they represent the general things people seem to look for in music articles on AFD. The more things from that you can satisfy in the article, the better. For example, showing multiple independent critics reviewing it would be a very good thing.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-09-09 at 10:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vreejack View Post
    Ah. I was wondering who that was. Thanks.
    No, and we have the word from the author on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by jami View Post
    Yup! It's Hedorah!

@rlyon@piolaxusa, sorry, but I was thinking the Smog monster when I was drawing that particular golem. Good guess though! I completely forgot about him. They do kind of look similar.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

13. - Top - End - #163

Does anyone else agree with me that Stanley, on round 2 and three, will be back to help Parson rout whatever remainder of the coalition survives his attack and Ansom's counterattack on round 1? And that Parson does not in fact have many tricks for the above-ground fight which he will mainly (but far from entirely) rely on sheer badassery to win?
    That Parson will defeat Ansom and many others (possible a leader or two) in personal combat? That Webinar is taken down by Bogroll? That Wanda slays quite a few enemy leaders in close combat with either foot or air units or both?
    I wrote up a thread on this concentrated post, so feel free, I think some initial misunderstandings now cleared up bogged it down.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Moechi_Vill View Post
    Does anyone else agree with me that Stanley, on round 2 and three, will be back to help Parson rout whatever remainder of the coalition survives his attack and Ansom's counterattack on round 1?
    Yes.

About the rest... don't know.

I was thinking about Stanley actuall reaching Faq just to realise that he cannot start a new side because his Warlord has still not lost the city.

:D :D :D

Would be funny. But it is improbable, of course.
    Last edited by MoredanKantose; 2008-09-10 at 07:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MoredanKantose View Post
    I was thinking about Stanley actuall reaching Faq just to realise that he cannot start a new side because his Warlord has still not lost the city.
    After I reed this post, I started an inner monologue that can be resumed as:
    "Suuure... could be that a Side can't have two Capitals, so Stanley preserved the hidden one for the future. No, makes no sense, as Ansom is supposed to claim Gobwin Knob for himself after the battle.
    Stanley is an idiot that doesn't want a far satellite kingdom out of lazyness? Unlikely. He could just protect it with a little effort using the Foolamancer and the Predictamancer, as they did before his invasion. But if Wanda is really the Predictamancer, and she Stanley doesn't know, and she qualified herself as Croakmancer? Well...
    Non sense again. A temporary city is better than no one at all, and someone could have reclaimed in the meantime. So Why?
    Maybe because if Gobwin Knob falls, and Stanley became Barbarian, he can make a new side that would be NOT a Plaid one. So he could name his side something lame like "
    The Toolwielders"?
    Could Stanley be so idiot? Ok, he is deep like a puddle...
    "

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default I don't think it will be Webinar

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    Alas, poor Webi. Third named croaking (Lord Manpower the Temporary [x2], Jaclyn) and first of the 'main' battle. At least, that's how I'm calling it.
    IMHO, you need to have Webinar and Jillian either fight to the death, or reconcile. Killing Webinar in some random cave leaves that tension unresolved.

Dora is the perfect redshirt to die in the tunnels. Cardboard character on an away mission alngside a more central character. Heck, I don't think she even had any speaking lines, did she?

Yet she's been around enough that Webinar can get nicely dramatic about her death.
    Dibs on his dice.

17. - Top - End - #167

Default Re: I don't think it will be Webinar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptC View Post
    IMHO, you need to have Webinar and Jillian either fight to the death, or reconcile. Killing Webinar in some random cave leaves that tension unresolved.

Dora is the perfect redshirt to die in the tunnels. Cardboard character on an away mission alngside a more central character. Heck, I don't think she even had any speaking lines, did she?

Yet she's been around enough that Webinar can get nicely dramatic about her death.
    Face, meet palm. Palm, face.

If Erfworld was actually written this way I think you'd be posting on an empty forum.
    Last edited by Eugenitor; 2008-09-10 at 11:55 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by CaptC View Post

I rather hope that the authors don't write from the standard generic hollywood scriptwriting playbook here. Erfworld is more interesting if it is a comic where anyone can die at any time.

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post
    I rather hope that the authors don't write from the standard generic hollywood scriptwriting playbook here. Erfworld is more interesting if it is a comic where anyone can die at any time.
    Hopefully they can only die at a time when they have a legitimate reason to die, which we knew about in advance.

Parson begins his attack, meets a lack of resistance. "What happened?" "Apparently, sir, Prince Ansom was celebrating his impending victory a bit excessively last night and died of a drug overdose."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenitor View Post
    Face, meet palm. Palm, face.

If Erfworld was actually written this way I think you'd be posting on an empty forum.
    Nope. Some people, like me, has reasonable standards. Or simple is reasonable people. That is reasonable. Ok, I lost myself, but what I mean is that I won't like the comic any less if occasionally make use of tropes or cliche.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Lab View Post

If memory serves, the more CO2 you have, the more red blood cells are likely to release their O2 - that's how they release the O2 through the body, where they should (this mechanism also regulates the amount that is) released).
    The downside is that if CO2 levels rises in the lung, the red blood cells will be set to "release mode" so to speak, and will not be able to collect O2.
    Replace that CO2 with more N2 (say), and they'll collect O2 as efficiently as usual.

[/URL]ever.
    Makes sense, the O2/CO2 exchange in the lungs is all passive, concentration increases to the CO2 would mean that O2 would be on the average be moving out of the bloodstream into the lungs.

22. - Top - End - #172

DrowGirl

Could it be that Jack is saying nuncle to Tool and acting as still delussional because it was an order from Panson? and that in between the two last pannels there has been a long conversation between Panson and Jack?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio II View Post
    Nope. Some people, like me, has reasonable standards. Or simple is reasonable people. That is reasonable. Ok, I lost myself, but what I mean is that I won't like the comic any less if occasionally make use of tropes or cliche.
    Thanks for that. I'll expand a little about my thinking, I'll admit my very short description of Dora as a redshirt leaves a little out.

Webinar has clearly been set up to suffer and possibly die. But note that getting the reader to care about a character and then offing them brutally is subject to just as many cliches. Heck, almost any plot turn is a cliche, you know? There's only so many ways to tell a story. Its not the choice of cliche, it's how it happens and how it's described that's more important to a good story.

(I'll not even mention that Webinar's whole "somebody else can do the job better" cliche tends to be very unfulfilling if that character is actually just snuffed out: "Yep, someone else probably could have, Webinar. You really sucked as a leader.")

I don't mind cliche that keeps characters I like alive. I sympathize with Webinar: New chick comes along, dazzles the prince, he listens to everything she says even though she is clearly bent on self-destruction... I've had a few friends with crazy-chick girlfriends. Drove me batty and curmudgeonly, just like poor Webby.

Then in the latest strip, Webinar acts quickly and correctly and gives his troops a chance. I foresee more of the same, he's being set up to be heroic now. It might end tragically for him still, but note that Dora shares the same fate as Webinar, most likely. So, either she's a redshirt and saves his butt, or she's gonna get to play the scene from Aliens in the air shaft with Lt. Gorman and Pvt. Vasquez, or she's there to set up some other cliche.

Take your pick, I don't care. I'll read the comic either way. I just want Webby to make it and have one last confrontation with Jillian. So I hope Dora's sacrifice will not be in vain.
    Last edited by CaptC; 2008-09-10 at 05:18 PM.
    Dibs on his dice.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shamelessmerc View Post
    PARSON: Order Sizemore to start liquid and gas traps.

And then in the next few frames we see:

- a mixing of powder that undergoes an oxidising reaction

- a sluice gate releasing a great mass of gooey liquid

HOW HARD IS IT???

The powder is the gas generator, the liquid is the... liquid!

they are not otherwise conected!
    I agree; other than the fact that it appears the same golem is triggering both, I don't think they are connected; it makes sense these are the two separate traps Parson referred to (the liquid/oil/greek fire trap, and the gas trap)
    Last edited by ShinyBrowncoat; 2008-09-10 at 07:08 PM.
    Oh it is the eyeball one.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio II View Post
    After I reed this post, I started an inner monologue that can be resumed as:
    "[I]Suuure... could be that a Side can't have two Capitals, so Stanley preserved the hidden one for the future. No, makes no sense, as Ansom is supposed to claim Gobwin Knob for himself after the battle.
    There's no indication he means to claim it as a capital, though. My experience with computer strategy games suggests that it will be just "Jetstone's newest city." Stanley wanted Faq to remain a city that he could claim later than wouldn't show up as his until then.

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    EDIT: Assuming you are User:Zolem on Wikipedia,...
    THERE'S A USER ZOLEM!?! HOLY ******** SOMEBODY STOLE MY ONLNE NAME! *reports to the Screen Name Identity Protection Ensamble*.

Anyway, the question wasn't in regards to an artical I wrote. On Wikipedia there used to be a well detailed and well sited page on the Devil fruit fromOnepiece, explaining the properties, catagories, and individual fruit. It was well sighted, even noting chapters and when things were WORD OF GOD. It was a very apropreate artical. Now there is no information at all about Devil Fruit except inside the charecter profiles, and then it just deals with that single devil fruit. It's very frustrating to look at and compair fruit if you have to jump from page to page to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Pixie in the Playground

So... Parson croaks most of the army in the tunnels, sends Wanda down there to uncroak them, and then since he can rearrange his units at will within the city, he can stick the uncroaked AND his units on the walls.

I wonder what Ansom would think if he saw Webinar and Dora and all his tunnel troops, up there on the ramparts, uncroaked, waiting to kill him...

28. - Top - End - #178
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zolem View Post
    THERE'S A USER ZOLEM!?! HOLY ******** SOMEBODY STOLE MY ONLNE NAME! *reports to the Screen Name Identity Protection Ensamble*.

Anyway, the question wasn't in regards to an artical I wrote. On Wikipedia there used to be a well detailed and well sited page on the Devil fruit fromOnepiece, explaining the properties, catagories, and individual fruit. It was well sighted, even noting chapters and when things were WORD OF GOD. It was a very apropreate artical. Now there is no information at all about Devil Fruit except inside the charecter profiles, and then it just deals with that single devil fruit. It's very frustrating to look at and compair fruit if you have to jump from page to page to do so.
    Yeah, I know. I helped make that page. Many of the important characters used to have pages detailing them (or at least the groups they belong to) and now it's all (save the main crew) one big page, with characters with vital importance to the plot summed up one one or two paragraphs, and pages that were actually sourced decently were all rolled up. And some minor characters get rolled up into having less than a sentence each. There is a reason that I fully support Rob's decision to make Deletionism into a form of Naughtymancy.

Anyway, if you really care at all about learning about any popular culture, go to one of the specialist Wikis: they go into details deeper than the Deletionists allow. Which is to say, any. If you are interested, I'll provide a link to the One Piece Wiki.

For the record, I don't really edit or even go to The Other Wiki that much anymore, I do however, edit The One True Wiki frequently.
    Last edited by Justyn; 2008-09-11 at 02:45 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Uh, shouldn't Dora have her Berry emblem, like Webinar's? I'm pretty sure she had changed her armor.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Warlords remain warlords when uncroaked, as the late (and later still) Manpower shows us. So, if Dora and Webinar are uncroaked, are they now warlords in the service of Lord Hamster?

It seems an odd contridiction that warlords can be uncroaked as warlords, but casters that are uncroaked come back as infinatry rather than warlords, since they can act as warlords. But I guess if Misty could have come back as a warlord, Parson may not have, well, it would have added a wrinkle to that turn and distracted from the main story.