New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Banned

Default Re: 120 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 108

Quote Originally Posted by fehler View Post
    It seems an odd contridiction that warlords can be uncroaked as warlords, but casters that are uncroaked come back as infinatry rather than warlords, since they can act as warlords. But I guess if Misty could have come back as a warlord, Parson may not have, well, it would have added a wrinkle to that turn and distracted from the main story.
    I fully agree on the second part. And, Uncroaked units are have no willpower. You can attack them without any reaction, if there is not someone near ordering them to act, or a commander via Thinkmancery. Probably, spellcasting requires willpower.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio II View Post
    I fully agree on the second part. And, Uncroaked units are have no willpower. You can attack them without any reaction, if there is not someone near ordering them to act, or a commander via Thinkmancery. Probably, spellcasting requires willpower.
    Are you sure about that? I assume undead fall under the same auto-attack rules as every other unit type.

And Erfworld doesn't have laws of physics; it has game rules. Certain things are preserved by the uncroaking process and others aren't, probably for game balance reasons. (I'll bet, though, that uncroaked warlords have their leadership drop to some minimum.) Additionally, an uncroaked warlord clearly does have no initiative; they'll do what they've been ordered to do, but nothing else. Perhaps they're still a warlord because other units recognize them as a warlord, or whatever... honestly, we know that any unit can be promoted to warlord, so it might simply be a matter of convenience to not change the chain of command.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Are you sure about that? I assume undead fall under the same auto-attack rules as every other unit type.
    Panel five, skeletons are attacked without any reaction at all.
    The Warlord stand still while enemy units abuse of him. It was ordered to not attack, but still, you expect some reaction when someone put a finger into your ear.
    And the brownette Archon explicitly call him "A creature without will". Not definitive, but indicative.
    As counter-argumentation, uncroaked warlords shows emotion (rage, mostly).

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio II
    The Warlord stand still while enemy units abuse of him. It was ordered to not attack, but still, you expect some reaction when someone put a finger into your ear.
    And the brownette Archon explicitly call him "A creature without will". Not definitive, but indicative.
    As counter-argumentation, uncroaked warlords shows emotion (rage, mostly).
    I'm pretty sure they still counter-attack/auto-attack, unless commanded otherwise. Those skeletons, probably were incapable of fighting back due to the heavy forest. The twoll didn't do a whole lot either. But yeah the uncroaked are probably without will, just some reflexes and and combat skills.
    And on retaining leadership, but not magic...
    The leadership ablity makes no sense in the first place (even less sensical is Parson having it); its just some "natural" magic like flight, but caster magic is apperantly different and not preserved by uncroaking.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #185
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: I don't think it will be Webinar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptC View Post
    (I'll not even mention that Webinar's whole "somebody else can do the job better" cliche tends to be very unfulfilling if that character is actually just snuffed out: "Yep, someone else probably could have, Webinar. You really sucked as a leader.")
    <snip>
    Then in the latest strip, Webinar acts quickly and correctly and gives his troops a chance. I foresee more of the same, he's being set up to be heroic now. It might end tragically for him still, but note that Dora shares the same fate as Webinar, most likely. So, either she's a redshirt and saves his butt, or she's gonna get to play the scene from Aliens in the air shaft with Lt. Gorman and Pvt. Vasquez, or she's there to set up some other cliche.
    I really want to know what idiots think Webinar is useless. Let us review the evidence:

-No.2 man in Jetstone, ie highest ranking field commander outside of the strategic command group.

-A solid and competent commander in all encounters we've seen him in.

-He has been correct every time he has ventured an opinion; his problem is that because of his low 'stats' and social status no-one is listening.

That said, it is obvious he is going to die... he is probably the only person other than Vinny that might have a chance of saving Ansom's butt.

Gotta say I love the vision of W & D as Gorman and Vasquez though... I see them back to back, surounded by the corpses of their enemies, with hundreds more about to obliterate them-

DORA:Hey, Web?
    WEBN:Yeah?
    DORA:You're such an assh*le, you know that?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    I'm pretty sure they still counter-attack/auto-attack, unless commanded otherwise. Those skeletons, probably were incapable of fighting back due to the heavy forest.
    Oh, come on. It would be ridiculous... even in a game... I suppose...

...'ve to check. Thanks for hint, I've to correct something in the Class and Stats Jeckery.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

I'd hate to see either Webnir or Dara the Explorer get sacrificed to Ansom's ego.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    Hopefully they can only die at a time when they have a legitimate reason to die, which we knew about in advance.

Parson begins his attack, meets a lack of resistance. "What happened?" "Apparently, sir, Prince Ansom was celebrating his impending victory a bit excessively last night and died of a drug overdose."
    Best. Deus ex machina. Ever.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

On the meaning of the foolamancer's name:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt

10. - Top - End - #190
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rapp View Post
    Best. Deus ex machina. Ever.
    Worst. Wrong use of the term Deus ex machina. Ever.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Barbarian in the Playground

Worst. Wrong use of the term Deus ex machina. Ever.
    Actually, Ansom just randomly dropping dead from drinking right before a big battle so his large leadership bonus sudenly vanishes and the coalition lacks a central leader figure thes enabling their forces to be more vulnerable does strike me as a bit too plot convenient. It's not the worst use as it has some justification, but still it is way too convenient to just be chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zolem View Post
    Actually, Ansom just randomly dropping dead from drinking right before a big battle so his large leadership bonus sudenly vanishes and the coalition lacks a central leader figure thes enabling their forces to be more vulnerable does strike me as a bit too plot convenient. It's not the worst use as it has some justification, but still it is way too convenient to just be chance.
    Asspull is the right term. Or plot requirement, if egregiously played. Let's say that if Samantha, the never mentioned before Ansom would-be-lover, drugs Ansom's wine, it's a Deus Ex Machina. But as we know that Ansom likes to toast and drink, and has a cliched royal meaning for "some food", so any excessive parting by his side is not so unpredicable.
    I apologize for the short and brutal answer (that was mostly a humor retort), but I'm a TvTropes reader, and you know... we are nuts.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ikea? Since when is swedish furniture a battle cry?
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    Ikea? Since when is swedish furniture a battle cry?
    Wrong thread. The new one is here

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If the troll had retaliated while the skeletons were just standing there, maybe you would have a point. However, the motion-blurred panels clearly imply that the attack was too fast and sneaky to elicit a combat reaction from the troll, never mind the skeletons.

I would not assume that the game designers who wrote the rules of this universe had the foresight to explicitly rule that all uncontrolled units will automatically react to ear-fingering. That is a matter of free will, which undead do not have. However, there IS such a rule about uncontrolled units automatically attacking enemies. Hence the need for an explicit command NOT to attack.

The zombies don't act on their own initiative, but that doesn't mean they're an exception to fundamental game rules. If they were, I'm sure Parson would have commented on the loophole, in light of all his undead troops.