New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Neohumans [IC]

The Doctor
    The Doctor was gazing around at the crowd through his tiny spectacles.
    "What are those men doing, Johnny?"
    "Which men?"
    "You know which men I mean. The ones working for him"
    The Doctor gave the car another nod.
    "Oh. They're recruiting"
    "Hmmmm?" The Doctor said.
    "Yeah. You know, this place is a hotspot for neohumans right now. The boss likes to have some heavy hitters on his team. That's why he hired you"
    The Doctor calmly shook his head.
    "No, no, Johnny, there's two things you need to learn. The first is that I am by no means a heavy hitter"
    "Look, doc, the things that I've seen you do..."
    "The second," The Doctor continued, ignoring the interruption, "is that your boss is by no means my boss. He hasn't hired me. I work for nobody but myself"
    "I dunno, doc, you seem to do pretty much whateverhe tells you to do"
    "Only because I choose to do so, Johnny. I'm nobody's lapdog. Oh, and a third thing you need to learn is that my name is not to be abbreviated!" The Doctor shouted.
    "Okay, okay, sheesh" Johnny said, visible jumping back at The Doctor's anger. They were silent again, and The Doctor focused his gaze at a seemingly homeless man, getting into an arguement with several neohumans.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

"Humpf. Do as you wish."

The man turns his back on you once again, and hurries to the park's gates, leaving the place.
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Joseph breathes out in relief. "Well that was odd. I wonder what his beef is."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

[B]Nexus[/B

Nicholas shrugged "He's entitled to his opinion. But whatever we decide to do, the first step is to organize. Anyone who wishes to join me is welcome - but we must band together, show a unified front, and convince the authorities that we can speak with one voice."
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2008-09-13 at 08:06 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35

Joseph bows elegantly. "I'll stand by you."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"That poor man. He has lost faith... Anyway, I'll gladly contribute to your efforts, Nicholas."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

((OOC: Don't forget about this game guys ))

8. - Top - End - #38

((I'm not really sure what to do.))

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Could you guys please post OOC talk in the OOC thread ? I already said in that thread that I am waiting for players' actions... :/

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Nexus

Nicholas nodded slowly, looking around at those who had agreed to join him.

Very well. If you wish, we can return to My home to continue discussion there. I'm not sure how productive further debate here will be.

11. - Top - End - #41

Joseph nods. "I'd be happy doing that. A lot of this is just posing, if we want to get anything actually done, better in a private setting."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Nexus

With a smile, Nicholas beckoned for those who wished to follow him, heading to where his car was parked - a spacious black four door. Curiously, it didn't actually bear a brand label, nor the logo of any known car company.

I'll give a ride to anyone who needs one, everyone else can follow as they like. Keep close, I live a bit out in the boondocks - which frankly is just as well for our purposes. Less likely to get angry mobs on the doorstep if they have to hoof it.

He gave a wry little smile and stepped down into the car. Any one who joined him would find the interior of the car to be quite clean, with a black leather interior and tasteful dark wood inserts to contrast. The displays behind the steering column glowed with a cool blue light, like sunlight seen through clear seawater, and Nicholas put the car into gear with quick, practiced motions. The machine was almost eerily quiet, and handled with a liquid grace. Once they passed out of the city traffic, Nicholas drove passed the outskirts of town, up into thickly wooded hills. After perhaps a half hour of driving, they arrived at a modest home built of gray stone, set back on a rather bumpy dirt rode, though those riding in Nicholas' car would note that the low-slung luxury vehicle handled the potholes much better than one might expect.

Home sweet home. Once everyone's here, I'll give you the tour. He said. His face was amused, and he turned away, a curious expression of anticipation in his eyes.

13. - Top - End - #43

Joseph nods his thanks. He somewhat awkwardly gets into the back seat of the car, looking around with curiosity. He absorbs every detail he can see, committing it to memory before settling down in his seat. He folds his hands in his lap, and closes his eyes during the trip.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Dantès also got in Nicholas' car. He took off his hat once inside. He smiled to the other passengers but remained silent the whole trip.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

The Doctor
    "Seems like someone's finally made some decisions..."
    The Doctor turned to the limousine.
    "Could I get a ride? I need to follow that car. We may just have witnessed the birth of something important. Or maybe not, but it's unlikely much else will happen here. Either way, keep some of your men around to eavesdrop on the neos, the regular people don't really interest me right now"
    The limousine door swung open, and The Doctor stepped into the darkness within. The car took off, following that of Nexus to his estate. It was a limousine, so it was tailing the car quite noticably. Theis, however, did not seem to worry The Doctor.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Besides the men on Nicholas' car and the limousine, no one followed you to the house. Maybe they were afraid, or didn't think the discussion would lead anywhere. As Nicholas waited on his own doorstep, he saw the limousine aproaching; there was no other car to be seen on the road.

17. - Top - End - #47

Joseph raises his eyebrows. "Now there's a surprise. We've been followed by a limo?" Joseph waits for the limo to stop and waits a few seconds to ensure that no one is making a move to get out before going over and rapping on the window.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Nexus

Nicholas arched an eyebrow, and shifted slightly - and slowly slid one hand under his jacket as he watched for the reaction from the limo driver.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

The Doctor
    The limodriver moved his hand to the handle for opening the window.
    "Don't"
    The limodriver turned and looked at the men on the back seat, specifically his boss. The mobster shook his head and the driver gave him a comprehensive nod.
    "Just park the car in an alley nearby. Make sure they're not following"

The car drove off.

20. - Top - End - #50

"Woah!" Joseph yells in surprise as the car lurches forward. He jumps back, tripping and landing on his back. Standing back up, Joseph stretches his back and walks over to Sam and Nicholas. "That may be bad. Whoever that was clearly didn't want us knowing their identity. We may have attracted some unwanted attention." He shakes his head. "No point worrying about it now. Can we go inside?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

The Doctor
    The car stopped. One of the windows in the back opened to a slit and a circle of smoke was blown out of it.
    "So, doctor, what is the plan?"
    "I can honestly say I have none, sir"
    The Doctor bowed his head slightly. Respect was important when talking to these people.
    "So why did we drive all the way out here, doc, for the scenery?"
    The Doctor opened his mouth, raising a finger, but he reconsidered.
    "In a way, yes. Three neohumans working together, trying to make the world a better place, it's an odd sight. Historical, almost"
    "There's just three of them, doctor, a well-planned ambush and some men with heavy weapons and they're still no more than three pairs of smoking boots"
    The Doctor nodded, but he didn't seem convinced.
    "Sure, sure, but they're not the main issue here, they're merely the onset, the spark that lights the fuse, if I may"
    "Are they now?"
    The large black man seemed skeptical. He lurked from his cigar again, blowing the smoke out of the window.
    "If they're the spark, then where's the barrel of gunpowder, doctor?"
    "Oh, it's all just theories now. I don't really know what we're doing here, actually. It just seemed more useful than sticking around at that meet-up in the park"
    The large man laughed loudly, and his laugh soon turned into a cough. They waited politely for a few minutes for it to subside.
    "There's more to it. I know you, doc. Your mind's like a hive of bees, busy all the time, going in all directions at once"
    The Doctor nodded and stroked his chin.
    "Well, yes, I did have a few ideas. For one thing this might set a nasty precedent. The government might not like the neos uniting, undermining their authority. If three can join up, why not more? Hell, if two neos with enough power join up, there's no telling what they might do. It's not just the government either. There's other people. People like-"
    The Doctor pauzed and his gaze drifted upwards, for the first time daring to set eyes on the man next to him. He was huge. He seemed like a dark entity, filling up the car, but in reality The Doctor knew he'd just had one crab patty too much. His shortage of breath due to his weight and his incessant smoking should take something away from how impressive the man was, but even though he had to be driven everywhere he still had a sort of malice, danger about him. He was not the kidn of man you wanted to cross. You could see that, even though he could barely move. Maybe it was the constant buzzing of his henchmen about him, or the lines in his face that suggested ages of experience. Perhaps it was just the way he acted, as if he were untouchable.
    "People like me"
    The Doctor cramped up a bit and quickly turned his gaze outside the window. The alley was pretty much abandoned, which was exactly what they'd wanted, off course.
    "There are other people," The Doctor continued, "Who wouldn't like to see their power threatened"
    The black man inhaled deeply.
    "You think they're a threat?"
    "Them?"
    The Doctor laughed nervously.
    "No, good heavens no, it's just three of them. You have more than that in your employ even"
    "More after today"
    The black man smiled, showing several golden teeth.
    The Doctor straightened up, his hands adjusting his stovepipe hat.
    "It's what they represent that is dangerous to you. union of neos. They're not simply a grunt squad anymore, or loose thugs, madmen like the Hangman. They're an organisation. If a syndicate rises, and believe me, it will after this, no-one will be able to stop it. Other neos, maybe. It will be neos versus neos and humans will matter none. It's what you all fear, deep in your hearts"
    The Doctor's fingers swerved, his uncut, torn fingernails pointing at the black man's heart. The mobster pulled himself back, into the door, momentarily scared, but he soon refound his calm. The Doctor withdrew his hand and wiped the spit in the corners of his mouth.
    "I, personally, don't want to see that happen. I'm perfectly fine with the equilibrium, keeping the world as it is. You in your place, the president in his, and me in mine. I'm just warning you. there are those who want change"
    "Get out"
    It hadn't sounded angry. It definitely hadn't sounded scared. It had simply been a command.
    "Yes, yes, I believe this is my stop"
    The Doctor got out and as he readjusted his hat the limo drove off.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Nexus

Meanwhile, even as the doctor was having his enigmatic conversation, Nicholas drove the car into the garage next to the cabin. With everyone inside, the door closed down - and a beam of brilliant green light washed over it, starting at the front of the car an advancing to the rear

Nothing to worry about, folks - just checking to make sure we haven't been tagged... and it looks like we're all clear. Tapping a small bead attached to his lapel, he spoke into it. Sarah- we're green. Bring us down. And activate house lights in a few seconds, just to be sure.

The whole floor shuddered suddenly, and slowly began to sink - the entirety of the garage, it seemed, was an elevator. Their progress was smooth and swift, and Nicholas was silent. When it stopped, he emerged from the car - they were in a small room, containing only a single, heavy steel sliding door. Nexus put his palm over a lock next to it, and winced a little as a tiny needle stabbed his index finger. A green light over the door blinked, and he led the way into the next corridor, turning his head, he gave the others a small smile.

As you'll notice, there's more to my humble abode than meets the eye. Lights please, Sarah.

Far over head, lights sprang to life, revealing the next chamber - a square chamber, larger than the last, with one entire wall taken up with a flickering bank of computer screens that looked like something straight out of a science fiction novel. A low electronic voice, female by the pitch and tone, came out of the speakers.

"Welcome back, sir. I see your mission was something of a success."

Nicholas nodded and took a seat at the conference table that sat in the middle of the room, surrounded by richly upholstered chairs, sighing with pleasure as he sank in.

So... have a seat, gentlemen.

23. - Top - End - #53

Joseph's eyebrows raise in surprise when Nicholas sweeps his car for bugs. His eyes grow wide when Nicholas talks into his lapel. And they grow even bigger when the entire garage begins to sink. Joseph emits a wordless yelp of surprise and does a quick double take. He quickly puts his back to a wall. When they reach the bottom, Joseph's eyes widen, and he looks around the room with awe and amazement. He enters the room hesitantly, sweeping it with his eyes. "What...what is this place?" He sits down in a chair, stiffly straight and clearly uncomfortable.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Nexus

Nicholas smiled slowly. Forgive the air of mystery. I've only got one chance to do this, and I'm afraid I have something of a taste for the dramatic. It all has to do with my power... We should probably share ours, but since mine's already come up, I'll go first.

Have you ever heard of the theory that there's an infinite number of potential worlds? That every fantasy ever dreamed, every might-have-been ever concieved is, in some paralell dimension, fact? The science behind the theory is somewhat flimsy, but irregardless it might be truth - or perhaps it's only my mind that makes it so. Still, whatever the truth is, it has bearing on my power. What I do is bring fiction to life. From any universe concieved in the mind of another, I can draw things forth. Items, buildings, vehicles - even living creatures, though that's more difficult and more risky, since they're not under control and can choose whether or not to appear.

Obviously there are limits - some things are simply impossible - otherwise, obviously, I'd already be omnipotent. Still, it can obviously do a great deal. Most of what you see here - including SARAH, obviously - is culled from science fiction. It's more generally applicable in the everyday world. SARAH was among the first thing I pulled forth - she's an AI from a particularly advanced science fiction story. She helps me analyze and coordinate some of the more esoteric things I bring through, and runs my little sanctuary.

So... now you know. Questions?

25. - Top - End - #55

Joseph sits back a bit more. He seems a bit more comfortable now. "Interesting...what kinds of limits do you have? Size? Density? Violation of our laws of physics?"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Samuel kept a calm demeanor all this time. Once inside the conference room, he took off his gasses and took a closer look at the computers, without ever touching, of course. He then walked slowly to the table and sat next to Joseph.

"This power is amazing. The possibilities...Could you make a time machine?"

Dantès pulled a notepad and a pencil from one of his pockets and put the two down in front of him.
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2008-09-29 at 11:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Nexus

Limits... that's a good question. Frankly, they often seem rather arbitrary. And I wonder if they aren't psychosomatic in origin... they seem to vary. Anything... well, too powerful, really. Other than that, it's open season - magic, technology, it all works... but there are some things I simply can't bring forth. No making myself into a god, for example.

As for a time machine... I've never tried, and I don't intend to. I've read too many science fiction stories to open that can of worms.

28. - Top - End - #58

Joseph nods. "That's probably wise, given the Butterfly Effect."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Dantès smiled.

"Quite wise, yes."

As he talked, his pencil took a life of his own and started taking notes...

30. - Top - End - #60

After a few moments of silence, Joseph says, "Dantès, do you want to go next?"