New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Songs of Lothlorien IC

Smelkie

You don't find anything in the remaining parts of the room besides dust, spiders and some rat droppings (the latter two both regular-sized...). Except for the three skeletal remains the area around the stairs is also clear. The railing has amazing decorations of various mythologial creatures engraved in it and at the two ends of the railing, on each side of the actual stairs, stands a statue of a dragon's head, with the mouths closed.

Some quick investigation of the remains reveals old tattered clothes, some rusty weapons and three silver coins in the mouth of one of the skeletons. The skeletons are clearly medium-sized humanoids, though you lack the anatomical knowledge to figure out which race specifically. All three skeletons have suffered physical damage in the past, though all bodies seem to be intact.

All

When Smelkie is done investigating, the five of you gather in front of the stairs. With Tathar and Tori leading the way next to each other, Stockard and Smelkie standing in the rear and Amd in the middle, the team starts heading down the stairs...

The stairs seem to lead straight down for about fifty steps, roughly fifty feet, then make a sharp turn to the left. As you lower yourselves down the stairs, the air starts to become a bit more damp, more like the typical earthy smell of underground tunnels, but with a little hint of decay in there.

Suddenly, around the thirtieth step, Apricot turns around and starts growling very menacingly upwards, where Smelkie and Stockard are standing. At the same time you all see Amd making a few hand gestures and mumbling a few strange words, quickly followed by loud cursing.
    Last edited by Wiz828; 2008-09-14 at 01:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Smelkie Greenhopper

Stopped by Apricots growling first thing Smelkie does is turn around to check whats behind him. "Whats the matter Amd, i cant make anything about what you just said. Are we under attack...?" Looking for a place to hide in case needed Smelkie awaits Amd's reaction, since apparantly he knows more.
    Hope he didnt merely step on poor Apricots tail.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Tori Soulforge

instantly hearing the noise Tori sticks his hand out to hold Tathar from going any further. "You keep your eyes forward and ill turn mine back."Tori turns back to see why the party is making a racket.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Stockard

Stockard gets a very uneasy feeling, though he is yet to understand exactly what is happening. "What is it that Apricot is upset about? Is it something we cannot see?"

Stockard stands his ground, fully aware and prepared for whatever may be causing trouble.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Tathar Elendil

Keeping his eyes locked forward Tathar questions Smelkie "You are sure there was nothing in that room aren't you Smelkie? No doorways or such that we may have missed? If there was not then there is a couple of possible reasons for Apricots reactions. She has a keen sense of smell, either there is a hidden passageway somewhere along the stairs or you disturbed the skeletons, please tell me you didn't touch them."

Tathar looks quizzically at Amd He's hardly spoken all trip, mostly it's mumbo-jumbo when he does. We'll have to keep a close watch on that one.

"Apricot, come here, calm down." Tathar whispers to Apricot while rubbing her back. "Something's really got her spooked, we best not stay on the stairs too long." Tathar says, noting the way Apricot is still shaking and growling deeply.
    Last edited by IanPlatypus; 2008-09-15 at 05:09 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

RedWizardGuy

All

As you stand arguing about what is going on, the silence around you is suddenly broken for a moment by the screeching sound of a blade being dragged across the floor. Within seconds it stops, to be replaced by soft shuffling footsteps coming from above. Apricot's growling changes to a soft whimper and she moves behind Tathar's legs.

Then two small red lights appear at the top of the stairs and as Tathar lifts his hand, you all see a skeleton standing there. The red lights come from his empty eye sockets and if you look straight into them you can feel the inhuman hatred pulsing in there. A few scraps of clothing hang on the skeleton and it carries a rusty short sword and small shield in his hands.

A split second later the skeleton is joined by two more of its kind, both carrying similar weaponry.

[Ok guys, first combat. First let me clarify the map. The five of you (5 coloured squares, you should know which one you are) are halfway down the stairs, the skeletons are in the large room at the edge of the stairs. Each square is 5 by 5 ft, so knowing your speed you know how far you can get.
    Now about combat, I want everyone to make their Initiative roll and then tell me in their post what their character intends to do (don't actually do anything yet, so shads no rolling attacks and damage and what not yet), once everyone has posted, I can see which order everything happens in and your posts can be edited as such.
    Most importantly, since 3 of you are basically new to this, talk to me if you have any questions about what you can and can't do!
    Good luck ;)

INITIATIVE ORDER:
    Skeleton 2 and Skeleton 3 - 19
    Smelkie - 16
    Tori - 15
    Amd - 14
    Tathar - 11
    Skeleton 1 - 11
    Stockard - 7
    ]
    Last edited by Wiz828; 2008-09-15 at 06:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

HalflingRogueGuy

Smelkie Greenhopper

Turning around Smelkie spots 3 pairs of glooming red eyes at the top of the stairs. Looking at those pile of bones suddenly looking very lively runs the shivers through Smelkies bones. Instantly he reaches for his crossbow and aims for the middle skeleton. "Tori get over here, you can finally make some use of that axe of yours. I hope you've sharpened it well." Smelkie speaks as he puts his finger to the trigger.
    I wonder if either Tathar or Stockard will fight up front, im curious what theyre made of, also lets see Amd's spellknowledge. He will probably be standing behind us, let's just hope we dont awaken something down the stairs.

Smelkie intends to fire a bolt at the middle skeleton if no one crosses his path. He will stay put and see if the bolt actually hurts the skeleton, when suddenly mister red-eye charges at him! Smelkie sees the skeletons sword being swung directly at him and with a swift turn of his tiny shoulders he manages to dodge that strike. "Ha!, youre slow!" Full of confidence he takes one step back toward Tather giving himself and the others some room to take a better aim at the evil one.

Stepping back Smelkie gets the feeling that somehow his remark has aggitated the skeletons and that his eyes suddenly started glowing more dark red... And another strike is dodged! "See, told you so!" Smelkie says very sarcastically. I wonder if skeletons can hear me though, he thinks. Who cares anyway, lets get rid of him now. Theres more fun waiting right next to me, where Stockard it brought down.

Smelkie raises his crossbow and fires at point blank range at the skeleton that just missed him twice and he hits it, but barely!
    Hit roll on skeleton 2 (1d20+6=16)
    Damage roll on skel #2 (1d8+1=5)

After he released his bolt Smelkie quickly looks at his right, where he sees Stockard put down to his knees. That red-eyed bastard hit him hard. "Hang in there Stockard! Tori will come to your rescue".

initiative check (1d20 4=16)
    Last edited by Phyzor; 2008-09-16 at 11:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Tori Soulforge

Chanting in dwarven to the deity Kord Tori shoves past Amd and stands between the human and halfling. Judging by the aim of the crossbow the middle looks to be the target. Tori says to his two companions "okay we take down the middle on first then split up and clean up the other two." squaring his frame with shield infront and axe twirling at his side Tori is ready to battle.

Initiate role: 1d20 +3 → [12,3] = (15)

Tori moves to attack the skeleton positioned at H-7. Jumping over the prone Stockard Tori brings his axe down breaking the old wood shield of the skeleton. the force was strong enough to pass through the skeleton and sever its forearm just above the elbow. The skeletons looks directly into Tori's eyes as if it was almost asking for him to join the members of the after world. Tori does not hesitate bring the axe around for a second swing tearing through the rib cage and spinal column. crumbling at his feet tori watches the red coals of his foes eyes extinguish, not waiting for the eyes to fully faded he crushes the skull with his foot and moves on to the next.

Hit: 1d20+7 → [17,7] = (24)
    Damage: 1d10+4 → [3,4] = (7)

OOC
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1732403/
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1732405/
    Last edited by shads; 2008-09-15 at 07:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Stockard

Seeing the skeletons, Stockard does not look back at his companions before taking action. He means to charge up to whichever skeleton is closest to him, on the far right. He also to declare his dodge on the same one.

"Tori, I know you might be slow, but someone should come help me dispose of this trash!"

[1d20+2 → [5,2] = (7)
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1732074/ ]
    Last edited by kunker83; 2008-09-15 at 02:29 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

Amd Minyatur

"Time to show our mettle "

With that said Amd starts chanting and gesturing the acid splash spell aimed at the skelleton next to Smelkie. Once the spell is cast , the skeleton's bones start crumbling under the influence of the acid.

init roll :1d20+2=14
    hit roll : 1d20+2=18
    damage roll : 1d3=3
    Last edited by Enchanted; 2008-09-16 at 12:11 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Tathar Elendil

"Smelkie!!!!" Tathar Cries out.
    "Those skeletons are the ones from upstairs, someone disturbed them." Tathar says drawing his scimitar and preparing to fight.
    Tathar hesitates in his attack as Stockard is beaten to the ground.
    "Oh no! I forgot my berries! I can't heal Stockard"

Tathar moves forward to strike the middle skeleton with Apricot by his side.
    As he slashes his scimitar towards the skeleton he notices Tori slice through the skeleton on his right. This momentary lapse causes his attack to hit the shield of the skeleton. Blast! A failed attack! Tathar curses under his breath

[Initiative Roll - 1d20+2 → [8,3] = (11)
    Hit Roll 1d20 2=9]
    Last edited by IanPlatypus; 2008-09-16 at 08:00 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

RedWizardGuy

All

For one seemingly endless moment there is silence, then all hell breaks lose. The two skeletons on the right are first to act and simultaneously they charge forward in silence: the left one targeting Smelkie, the right one straight at Stockard.
    The one facing Smelkie swings his shortsword but misses completely, the sword never coming even close to the agile halfling. Stockard is not as fortunate though, for it seems all the skill the other skeleton misses, his opponent seems to have taken. Hatred shining from his red eyes, the skeleton covers the last few feet between him and Stockard with one might jump, bringing his short sword down as he strikes and burying it deep in Stockards lower abdomen. The shock of the impact makes Stockard collapse on the floor.

Smelkie, his crossbow in his hands, takes a quick step back. His opponent spot this moment of weakness and tries to sneak in a quick blow at Smelkie's head. Once again though, the halfing is much faster and the blow misses.
    Now out of range of the skeleton's weapon, Smelkie fires his crossbow and hits the skeleton. Unfortunately the bolt passes through the third and fourth left rib without doing much damage.

Tori, enraged with his companion being hit right in front of his eyes, lifts his mighty axe and charges forward. Moments later the bonebag is dead, chopped to little bits.

The next to react is Amd, the elf keeps his head cool and after some quick complex hand gestures and a few strange words, a large splash of green acid is sent towards Smelkie's attacker. The acid quickly eats away at the already old and brittle bones and within seconds the skeleton collapses as well, the red lights slowly fading from the skull.

The last standing member of the party, Tathar, rushes towards the prone, but still conscious, Stockard, drags him five feet back behind Tori and kneels down besides him to check his wounds [OOC: Heal skill stabilise check - Succesful]. Quickly he takes a piece of cloth and binds the wound to prevent further bloodloss.

Finally, the last skeleton decides to move and charges at the imposing figure of Tori Soulforge. Steel meets steel, again and again, but in the end not a single scratch marks Tori's body.

[OOC:
    Stockard can still act in this round if he wishes so, he is limited to one action only though, so either a move action or a standard action.
    Tathar, please forgive me for deciding your action, but this one single round of combat was taking long enough, plus I think at that moment it was the only thing Tathar could do.
    Current positions:
    Skeleton 1: H-7
    Tori: H-8
    Stockard: H-9
    Tathar: H-10
    Amd: G-9
    Smelkie: F-9
    New round new chances guys :P
    PS: Feel free to Edit your posts to give a more fancy description of the action you took last round ;)]
    Last edited by Wiz828; 2008-09-16 at 02:05 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Stockard

With an obvious look of searing pain, Stockard stays where he is, trying to appear as defended as possible, surrounded by his companions. Why have I left the monastery. What a fool I was to think I could go adventuring. I feel I am not ready to be thrown in with these monsters. These others are much more fit to be here than I, as they are strong, and smart. I am just a simple monk. How am I ever going to heal from this? Stockard manages to say a few words between his deep breaths, "Thank you Tathar."

Now sitting against the railing, Stockard just hopes the fighting will end soon, his new-found sense of cowardice fighting to win him over from the pain he continues to feel.
    Last edited by kunker83; 2008-09-16 at 02:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

HalflingRogueGuy

Smelkie Greenhopper

A few seconds after speaking, Smelkie sees Tori rushing towards Stockards and striking the foe that got Stockard down hard, shredding it to bits and pieces. I wonder if I can be of any use down here, my bolts dont seem to hurt those skeletons. If theres more to come down than i can better just stick close to the group and collect whatever i can find. Best way to get paid... Luckily we got decent strikingpower with us, else we would be dead in no time.

Looking back to Ribcase in front of him Smelkie hears chanting coming from behind. And quicker than he can say, In the name of Yondalla someone help Stockard, Ribcase is no more... It became more of a dustcase with green residu.

Apparantly Tathat saw his chance clear and dragged Stockard safely behind Tori, what drew the attention of the last bonepile standing. I could shoot at it, but it wont do much. Id better wait and let Tori handle it, I can always step in later to shoot. I can best aim my shot at the red spot probably.. So Smelkie awaits patiently (if possible in combat anyway) if Tori kills the last foe, befor taking any action of himself.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Tathar Elendil

Kneeling down beside Stockard Tathar continues to work.
    "A fine blow you took here eh Human" Tathar says, the slightest bit of glee in his voice. "But not to worry, You're in a stable condition and we'll have you back to full health in no time."

Continually keeping one eye on Stockard and the other on the remain skeleton Tathar sees the final skeleton slash at Tori. The dwarf though, a more than ample opponent blocks the attack with ease.

"It'll be over soon" Tathar whispers reassuringly to Apricot who begins to settle down and stops growling.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

Tori Soulforge

Moving to engage the last skeleton, Tori misscalculates his swing and misses.

1d20+5 → [4,5] = (9)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

Amd Minyatur

Amd focuses his attention on the remaining skeleton . wanting a quick conclusion to the battle , Amd starts chanting and gesturing the magic missle spell. the missle hits the skelleton and hurts him badly . amd shouts :

" Someone slash him down fast ! Use your swords ! "

damage roll:1d4+1=4

[ooc : from what i know , magic missle always hits and you don't have to roll for it . here is the roll for spell resistance if i need it : 1d20+1=20... ok , definately not needed anymore :)]
    Last edited by Enchanted; 2008-09-18 at 01:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

HalflingRogueGuy

Smelkie Greenhopper

In an eyewink tori heaves his axe, but completely misses... So Smelkie readies his bow, when he hears Amd chanting again, seeing his handmovements going through his line of fire. Amd shoots a magic missle to the skeleton hitting, but not killing it.

Guess they need my help anyway. So he pulls the trigger

Hit check (1d20+6=19)
    Hit roll (1d8+1=8)

[OOC if i cant hit it straight away, ill do a step forward back to F8. Thats not needed though imo]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

Tori Soulforge

enraged at being struck and missing Tori lashes out wildly scattering the bones of the remaining skeleton down the stairs.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1736674/ 1d20+5 → [20,5] = (25)
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1736681/ 1d20+5 → [18,5] = (23)
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1736684/ 1d10+4 → [8,4] = (12)

OOC

ugly Over Powered warriors FTW

20. - Top - End - #50

RedWizardGuy

All

While Stockard sits on the ground trying to deal with being hit, battle continues around him.

In quick succession, Tori, Smelkie and Amd all take aim at their undead foe. Unfortunately for the party Tori misses with his swings, though Smelkie and Amd don't, respectively hitting it with a bolt in the skull and a magic missile in the chest, making the skeleton stagger backward for a moment.

The skeleton quickly recovers though and the vile creature takes advantage of Tori's poorly aimed swings by ducking under them and swinging his sword into Tori's lower leftside.
    Bleeding profusely from his cut, Tori gathers all his might in his next attack, hitting the skeleton with such might it's bones scatter all over the place.

Adrenaline coursing through all of your veins, you stand there, surrounded by bones, bloodstains covering the steps of the stairs...

[OOC:
    Quick summary of the battle: Tori and Stockard both got 1 hit on them, coincidentally both for 8 damage. Please note this one your character sheet guys (under current hitpoints). Amd used Acid Splash and Magic Missile. Smelkie shot 2 bolts.
    As for XP: I'm not giving XP for every single encounter, rather I will let it add up and at certain points I will give players the XP they have earned up to that point.
    As for looting, you guys already looted these skeletons remember? :P
    ]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

Amd Minyatur

"Ok , let's get the wounded patched up ! A quick advice for you BRAVE adventurers do anything else . DO NOT , UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE , rush in like this in the future . Those skeletons where part of a magic trap we sprung when we stepped on that particular stair ...we should see if there are any other traps around . Halfling , how good are you at spotting traps ? "

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

Stockard

"I do agree that I am of no use to you all in this condition. I also am not skilled in the arts of healing. If any of you are better at this than I, I would forever be in your debt."

"In the matter of Amd's concern, I do not know what exactly can be done. I have the feeling those skeletons would have attacked us in any case. Considering that they are undead, it would make me feel a lot better to break the bones and skatter them, in case these undead have a tendancy of coming back to......nonlife."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Amd Minyatur

" The skelletons are dead now . all the life that they once had is gone forever . But i asure you , they where the direct result of our carelesness . We sprung a magic trap . i felt it . so did the badger. Now i ask you again halfling , how good are you at spotting and disabling traps . it's quite important . maybe next time we'll get a poison dart in the back . anyone want to risk that ? ... "
    Last edited by Enchanted; 2008-09-19 at 11:19 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

Tori Soulforge

"I agree Amd being more careful while we progress forward. Patching up the monk should be our top priority I can handle my self for a bit. Tathar can you mend the both of us?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

Tathar Elendil

"You both look fairly stable Tori, It shouldn't be much hassle at all to heal you. But first I must get some berries for my spells. I noticed a few berry bushes just near that camp we saw when exploring earlier, Is someone able to come with me and forage from them?" Tathar looks at Smelkie for assistance. Without those berries I'm afraid the healing will take much longer; 1-2 days without berries compared to an hour or so with them. Also, they will be quite valuable next time we get in a fight."

"Amd, perhaps the halfling isn't the best choice for spotting traps, You said yourself that you felt the trap, perhaps you should be more clear in your warnings next time? I'm no good at trap spotting though so count me out." Tathar says snapping at Amd.

What a great bunch of Heroes they turned out to be. You've got a human who gets taken down in 1 hit and an elf who doesn't warn people of traps. Let's hope the other two are ok
    Last edited by IanPlatypus; 2008-09-19 at 06:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Amd Minyatur

"Oh , now that would really be smart . After we get attacked by undead , leaving an exausted mage and 2 wounded alone while you go looking for berries . be my guest . just remind yourself, when you get any more of theese bright ideeas . bang your head against the closest wall really hard . they are both stable . let's just have a rest and then continue . and , for what the trap is concerned, i had no way of knowing it was there until it was sprung . you should know better . you aren't completely obtuse . after all you are part elven . i didn't even think this possible but the dwarf is wiser than you ."

Amd pauses for a moment to think and to cool down .

Calm yourself down , this isn't helping anyone . it's nobody's fault that this happened . after all , they are all inexperienced . we should try to work together

"I'm sory . I am a little jumpy and angry . Forgive me if my words offended you . let's just rest here a bit then cary on "

27. - Top - End - #57

HalflingRogueGuy

Smelkie Greenhopper

"If i can help in any way healing you guys, I will." Smelkie walks over to Tori and Stockard and check if he can assist. Inspecting Tori's injuries the seldomly speaking Amd adresses him, several times.

"Yes my trapfinding skills are quite good, maybe its best for me to take the lead next time. I have inspected the entire mainhall, not thinking any traps would be placed on the stairwell... I dont care for resting, ill go up, get berries and come back asap, killing everything that dares coming in my way. I dont want to stop now, I want to go down now.. We got a week and we need to go back by foot. We'd better be in good health, before going down, so im going up". This time checking the stair for traps

Turning around and moving up he winks Tathar to follow.
    The gods should have given Elves the virtue of patience....

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

Tathar Elendil

"We won't be gone long at all Amd. We need these berries for a quick heal. But yes I see your point how we will be weakly defended until we return. Smelkie, perhaps you should go along and get these berries." Tathar turns to Smelkie and starts to describe the berries.

"Please make sure you get the right ones Smelkie, It is imperative for the spell. If you are not back in 4 hours we shall continue without you.
    good luck Smelkie, and a safe return."

29. - Top - End - #59

HalflingRogueGuy

Smelkie Greenhopper

"I wont be long, you guys ready up some spells and rest. Where exactly did you spot those berries Tathar?"
    Last edited by Phyzor; 2008-09-21 at 04:42 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

Amd Minyatur

"Near the abandoned camp outside . Now go quickly!"

Amd waches Smelkie head out to find the berries needed for the spell .
    Last edited by Enchanted; 2008-11-24 at 01:11 PM.