New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Gestalt Arena Match 12

A towering figure in a dark robe enters the room where you have been milling around sizing up the competition. His face is completely obscured by his hood. He raises both hands to get your attention and speaks in a deep voice.
    Frenzy Rage-Scream, Zendrames. You have been chosen to fight. Prepare yourselves!
    With that he brings his hands down and the two of you find yourself transported to the arena

OOC:
    You've got time for one swift action and one standard action before you get transported in case you need to adopt a stance or activate an item.

On the map, green is open terrain, yellow is difficult terrain, red/brown is the cliffs. Arena has a 60 foot ceiling.

Opening post should have an initiative roll, anything you said after he called your name and what, if anything you did with the 'surprise round' before being transported. After that, start fighting in initiative order.

Frenzy
    Spoiler
    Show
    start at B7

Zendrames
    Spoiler
    Show
    start at AK28
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-09-09 at 10:03 PM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Gestalt Arena Match 12

(Standard) Wild shapes into a great wyrm gold dragon half-Silver-dragon 12 headed pyrohydra. {OOC does Serpents Venom last forever? how long?} [if it lasts forever, activate]

If you weren't afraid of me before, you should be now!

Init: (1d20)[11]

{OOC only thing I hate about this dragon is the crappy init. modifier.}
    Last edited by Charlie Kemek; 2008-09-11 at 04:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Third party rules question: How are you Wild Shaping into a creature that has 41 hit dice? The maximum hit dice of a Wild Shape form is normally limited to your Druid level, which can't be higher than 15 at this level.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Third party rules question: How are you Wild Shaping into a creature that has 41 hit dice? The maximum hit dice of a Wild Shape form is normally limited to your Druid level, which can't be higher than 15 at this level.
    Oh. missed that. I wonder how some peoples builds work. will change in a second. but it can be 17 HD btw, because I have 7 levels of WSR, and 10 levels of MoMF. can I make a few slight changes to the build?

Edit: done. ready, Init is now 12.
    Last edited by Charlie Kemek; 2008-09-10 at 05:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Third party question: I thought gestalt limits whatever is highest bonus to these things, i.e. Caster levels and so forth.
    Last edited by Dresil; 2008-09-10 at 06:04 PM.
    I thought of a thought thinking about the thoughts thunk by thinkers. I thought the thought was thunk but I think I thought otherwise.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

doesn't make a difference, hydra only has 12 HD.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hettar: hearing of the match, comes in prepared to face an interesting opponent.

Standard: cloak for 4 rounds of invisibility.

Init: use best of both: (1d20+19)[34] (1d20+19)[39]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

free action: (also activates Boots of speed) mount bat, bat runs to AC 25. attacks Zendramas. Against AC 37. dismounts
    swift: activate Belt of Battle for full attack action. Attacks both times using rapid shot.
    (1d20+33)[37] damage (1d8+15)[20]+(10d6)[32]
    (1d20+33)[45] damage (1d8+15)[17]+(10d6)[33]
    (1d20+33)[42] damage (1d8+15)[17]+(10d6)[42]
    (1d20+33)[53] damage (1d8+15)[19]+(10d6)[33]
    (1d20+33)[41] damage (1d8+15)[22]+(10d6)[32]
    (1d20+33)[38] damage (1d8+15)[17]+(10d6)[25]
    (1d20+28)[35] damage (1d8+15)[23]+(10d6)[42]
    (1d20+28)[30] damage (1d8+15)[23]+(10d6)[33]
    (1d20+23)[43] damage (1d8+15)[19]+(10d6)[30]
    (1d20+23)[37] damage (1d8+15)[20]+(10d6)[37]
    Last edited by Charlie Kemek; 2008-09-19 at 06:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

crit threats
    (1d20+33)[44] damage (1d8+15)[20](1d8+15)[16]
    (1d20+28)[48] damage (1d8+15)[19](1d8+15)[22]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Few things:
    -You can't turn into things with templates. So Half-Dragon Pyrohydra is a no-go.
    -I don't think you can therefore turn into a Pyrohydra either as it's a Magical Beast and you can't turn into those.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Zendremas falls dead, no matter what he does. if Zendremas had raged at the beginning (which he should have, if he had known it was hettar, he would have died anyway. Zendramas delt 462 damage in one round.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Few things:
    -You can't turn into things with templates. So Half-Dragon Pyrohydra is a no-go.
    -I don't think you can therefore turn into a Pyrohydra either as it's a Magical Beast and you can't turn into those.
    why can't I turn into a template creature?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Because rules say so:
    Wild Shape acts like Alternate Form.
    Alternate Form defines you can't turn into a templated creature.

Really, it comes down to the limitation of not being able to turn into a specific creature (you gain the stats of an average creature of the type, so you can't turn into a really strong bear, for example, but only to an average one), but to a generic creature and templated creatures are, by nature, specific creatures.

EDIT: There's been a ton of errata on Wildshape, Polymorph and the like, so it's a good idea to use D20SRD for exact rules of those instead of the books, since you'd need to keep the book along with a thousand errata references open at the same time to reconstruct all that.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-09-19 at 06:48 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Aside from that, there's a rather large balance issue involved. If templated creatures are allowed for Wild Shape, where does it end? The limiting factor on Wild Shape's power is the hit dice of the assumed form, and there are MANY templates out there that do not add hit dice. What's to stop you from turning into a half-celestial half-fiendish phrenic draconic half-fey half-troll vampire pseudonatural half-golem paragon monster of legend*? Oh, and add half-dragon once for every type of dragon you can find. Yes, that's a whole lot more than 2 halves, no the rules don't care.

* No, I have not checked to make sure all of these templates are both compatible with each other and don't result in a final type that Wild Shape can't do, but I doubt a thorough check would eliminate more than a few of them, and the end result would still be so powerful as to automatically beat anyone who didn't exploit the same thing.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

thanks, at least this battle wasn't real. now I know