Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 113
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kaihaku's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States of America
    Gender
    Male

    confused [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    The Sacred One, born under a holy star with the destiny to right much that is wrong and bring peace throughout the world. Pure of heart, she has turned away the blade and refused the path of the violent. Charged by the champions of order and justice, you have sworn a sacred oath to safeguard her when she will not safeguard herself.

    Escort the Sacred One

    The Sacred One walks across the grassy plain before you silently, having lost the argument with the elders who assigned you to be her protectors. Her argument that, "There is no path to peace, peace is the path" fell on deaf ears, the aged paladins, warmages, and warriors that govern the world shaking their collective heads at her naivety. Now, she walks unarmed towards the distant mountains where she claims to have sensed a great wrong being committed.

    ((I'll move to the first encounter as soon as everyone has checked in.))
    Spoiler
    Show

    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

    Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Broken Damaged Worthless

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    "Ah, what a wonderfully windy day out today!" Hex throws his arms wide, and enjoys the breeze, letting his robes flap in the wind. He calls to the Sacred One, "Ease up! Enjoy the smaller things in life, like the feel of the wind on your face, or the sound of the grass! Not all things need be heavy and deep, you know."

    Spoiler
    Show

    (OOC: Yay, we're playing. Also, Kaihaku, is there a better description of what the area looks like? Trees, hills, orcs, whatever?)
    Last edited by arguskos; 2008-09-13 at 04:56 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Threeshades's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Garbsen, Germany

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    "Yet many have to be.", the gnome sighs and looks down upon the strings of his guitar, and plays a few surprisingly deep-sounding chords for such a small instrument.
    Jothan looks up at the sorcerer again as he continues playing a slow tune: "You have innocence of many of my kind in your heart. A tune I long forgot."
    Need an avatar? Check out Threeshades's Home of Orphaned Avatars

    [/CENTER]

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Broken Damaged Worthless

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    "Hmm... there is truth to your words, friend gnome. Perhaps, I can help you relearn the joyful songs of the wind, if you desire it."

    Hex smiles, and roots around in a pocket for a moment.

    He pulls out a flute, and plays a simple, reedy, high-pitched tune. It isn't very good, and it sounds an awful lot like the wind through the trees, but he seems to really enjoy the playing.

    "And perhaps, you could help me learn to play this little gizmo a bit better sometime?"

    He smiles, and keeps playing and walking.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2008-09-13 at 04:44 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Threeshades's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Garbsen, Germany

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    A smile wanders across Jothan's face and his fingers walk across the fretboard of his guitar until his tune matches with that of Hex's flute.

    "It all comes down to practice in the end but the music is flowing from the heart to begin with, and I can hear it coming from yours, my friend."
    Need an avatar? Check out Threeshades's Home of Orphaned Avatars

    [/CENTER]

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Broken Damaged Worthless

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    "Ah, then I'll have to be sure and remember to keep playing. It does bring me a touch closer to the skies above... Tell me, have you traveled much?"

    He stops playing to speak, but doesn't put the flute away, rather he fiddles with it, as if unable to stop moving his hands.


    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Please, I wouldn't mind a touch of feedback as to if I'm being overbearing with my personality. It's been FOREVER since I've been a player in a game, doubly so for a PbP, so I'm rather out of touch with really getting into a character.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2008-09-13 at 04:57 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kaihaku's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States of America
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    During this exchange, a smile plays unseen across the Sacred One's features, her steps slowing ever so slightly.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

    Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slamexo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Walking besides the sacred one, twirling a dart between her fingers, Brow listens to the conversation unfolding besides her.

    "It's nice music" she thought to herself "but it's not making it any easier to listen for an ambush."

    Still, feeling relatively unconvinced that an attack was coming, Brow continued to walk alongside the others, letting the notes of the music dance around her ears as she listened, feeling the slightest hint of relaxation.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Threeshades's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Garbsen, Germany

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    "Since I left my home I rarely stopped for more than a night and a play for the people around me. I have seen many things....", Jothan's eyes stray off to the horizon and his fingers slide down the guitars neck and the tune changes to a slow, dissonant interchanging rhythm of high pitched sounds and with a lowered almost unhearable voice he starts to sing

    "Something takes a part of me..."
    Need an avatar? Check out Threeshades's Home of Orphaned Avatars

    [/CENTER]

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DeathQuaker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Sabra walks alongside the rest of the escort, her long red braid bouncing against her back as she keeps an even, careful pace. The playful talk around her elicits a twitch of the mouth, but she is on duty, and focuses on her surroundings and anything that may seem at her place. A hand stays at the ready to draw her sword--always, whenever they are on the road.

    "Careful, comrades. Your music may invite none but trouble."
    And the best thing you ever done for me is to help me take my life less seriously. It's only life, after all.
    - Emily Saliers, "Closer to Fine"

    LGBTitP

    Blog: http://deathquaker.livejournal.com
    Seldom updated Website: http://www.deathquaker.org

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Threeshades's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Garbsen, Germany

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Jothan lowers his playing hand and let's the last note ring into the emptyness, his eyes now just wandering along the ground. When the note finally dies he takes his finger of the string with a sigh and keeps walking.
    Need an avatar? Check out Threeshades's Home of Orphaned Avatars

    [/CENTER]

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Jokes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Jonas

    At the rear of the party, Jonas sighs. He liked the pretty music. He starts humming a few bars, softly to himself. It just wasn't the same.

    He trains his ears on his surroundings, hoping to hear a birdsong.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Perception: (1d20+5)[19]

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Broken Damaged Worthless

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    "Interesting, good gnome. You'll have to tell me of your journey sometimes."

    Noting the objection of the others of his music, Hex grimaces a little, and reluctantly puts the flute away. Inwardly, Hex sighs, and wonders if his traveling companions are always so dour... Things need not be so serious, he whispers to himself.

    "Well, I think perhaps we should get to know one another a touch better, if we are to be prepared for a conflict, no?"
    Last edited by arguskos; 2008-09-13 at 11:18 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DeathQuaker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Sabra does her best to comply, still keeping an eye on what's going on. "I am a warrior, raised amongst the Iron Wolves Legion. I have taken this contract to protect the Sacred One independently of the Legion, so I may learn to work with other companies... beyond of course the sacred duty that it is..." She thinks about what else possibly Hex could want to know. "I fight primarily with this hand-and-a-half sword, though of course the Wolves trained me in several forms of combat. I will work best with those who know how to swiftly flank an enemy, and not blindly charge into the fray. Of course, I will also shield our ranged combatants if need be and when possible."

    Sabra thinks, and decides this must be sufficient "get to know you" material, and continues walking at an even march, keeping alert for any trouble.
    Last edited by DeathQuaker; 2008-09-13 at 05:53 PM.
    And the best thing you ever done for me is to help me take my life less seriously. It's only life, after all.
    - Emily Saliers, "Closer to Fine"

    LGBTitP

    Blog: http://deathquaker.livejournal.com
    Seldom updated Website: http://www.deathquaker.org

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kaihaku's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States of America
    Gender
    Male

    confused Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    The Sacred One sighs and increases her pace once again, pulling away from the group and pressing on towards the distant mountains.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

    Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Threeshades's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Garbsen, Germany

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Jothan looks up at the Sacred One as he tries to keep up wtih her.
    "I'm sorry...", he whispers.
    "My name is Jothan Dayves, I am not a master at combat but I know how to handle a rapier. I have gathered many tales throughout my life and we may find a lot of use for it. But my true strength lies in my music, it does a lot more than just entertain, as you will see."
    Need an avatar? Check out Threeshades's Home of Orphaned Avatars

    [/CENTER]

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Broken Damaged Worthless

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Hex notices the Sacred One's brisk pace, and looks a bit abashed.

    "You are both quite the interesting individuals, you are," nodding at Sabra and Jothan, "but, if I may be granted a touch of boasting, my story may be of interest to you as well."

    He clears his throat a touch. "It began with my fathers father, a great mage and a devoted family man. He was an elementalist, one who studied the great interplay of fire and water, earth and air, and to each of his sons (for he had two, you see), he granted power over one of the elements. To my uncle, he granted the understanding of fire, and to my father, air. When my father sired his children, me and my sister, he gave to us his blessing." Hex relates this last part with pride, and shows to them a tattoo on the back of his hand. "This is the brand my father gave me, and it symbolizes my connection to the winds. It also brings magical prowess, and many unique powers. I hope that I'll be able to share it with you sometime, just as I hope to see your bladework, and your songweaving." He realizes he's rambled on too long, and grins sheepishly.

    "My apologies to you all, for I have rambled much and said little. Suffice to say I am Hextoler Alier Abakaar, air sorcere, and I am pleased to make your acquaintance."


  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slamexo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Turning her attention briefly back to the others, Brow gave them a somewhat dark look:

    "You can call me Raven, let's leave it at that."

    She then turned back to the Sacred One, attempting to match her pace and keep up.
    Last edited by Slamexo; 2008-09-14 at 04:56 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Jokes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Jonas

    "I'm Jonas. I guess you could say I'm on a diplomatic exchange from up north." He pauses, noticing something in the air. Not only can he not hear a birdsong, but he hardly hear a thing at all, save for the whistling of the wind. The silence is by no means disconcerting, he is used to nothing but the wind over the frozen tundras. But here, it seems odd, out of place. "Hey, when did you last hear a bird, or a even cricket since we've been travelling?"

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DeathQuaker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Sabra speeds up ever so slightly, to stand slightly ahead, protectively, of the Sacred One.

    "You're right, Jonas," she says, trying to note what he has noted. She speaks in lower tones than before. "That is strange. That would mean something's driven the wildlife away."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Perception check to gain further information:(1d20+1)[8]

    Survival to analyze further, specific reasons for apparent absence of wildlife:
    (1d20+4)[12]
    Last edited by DeathQuaker; 2008-09-14 at 07:00 AM.
    And the best thing you ever done for me is to help me take my life less seriously. It's only life, after all.
    - Emily Saliers, "Closer to Fine"

    LGBTitP

    Blog: http://deathquaker.livejournal.com
    Seldom updated Website: http://www.deathquaker.org

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Broken Damaged Worthless

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    "That is indeed strange Jonas. I haven't heard anything. Perhaps we best be on our guard." Hex pulls out his starknife, and keeps it at the ready in his left hand.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kaihaku's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States of America
    Gender
    Male

    frown Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Sabra swiftly comes to the conclusion that someone or something has frightened the local wildlife. Despite her best efforts, she can't locate the source of the unease...but, unfortunately, the answer to this strange riddle becomes all too clear a few moments later...

    The Sacred One is continuing on a short distance ahead of the group. As she passes through a patch of particularly high grass three creatures suddenly leap from their cover with bloodcurdling shrieks. Wielding greatclubs and leering hideously, they are easily identified as Gnolls. The Sacred One stumbles a bit as she is suddenly surrounded, clearly caught off guard.

    Spoiler
    Show
    A1:(1d20+3)[20]
    (1d10+3)[10]
    A2: (1d20+2)[18]
    (1d10+1)[10]
    A3: (1d20+3)[20]
    (1d10+3)[4]

    Initiative
    (1d20)[15] (1d20)[19] (1d20)[2] (1d20)[16] (1d20+4)[14]

    The Group is now free to act. Go ahead and roll Initiative but please take your action as well. We don't want to take a day just to roll Initiative, now do we?


    The Gnolls brutally bring their greatclubs to bear against the Sacred One, beating her into unconsciousness before she even has a chance to cry out.

    ((Sacred One is at -4 HP.))
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-09-14 at 07:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

    Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Broken Damaged Worthless

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    "Gnolls!! Feel the fury of the heavens, fiends!!" Hex points at one of the gnolls, and opens fire with an electricity ray.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Init: (1d20+2)[21]
    Attack Roll: (1d20+2)[7]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[2]

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Jokes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Jonas

    Seeing the Sacred One drop, Jonas goes into a bloodrage, running at the Gnolls, drawing his axe.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Init: (1d20+2)[18]
    Free Action: Enter Rage
    Move: Towards the Gnolls while drawing battleaxe
    Standard: Attack Gnoll
    Attack: (1d20+6)[13]
    Damage: (1d12+7)[17]

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Threeshades's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Garbsen, Germany

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Spoiler
    Show
    Dangnabit! Should've taken cure light wounds, i didnt know there wasnt going to be any clerics or druids


    Jothan's eyes widen in shock but the next moment his face is warped by anger and his hands hammer onto his guitar a heavy, chopped rhythm and he starts singing in a surprisingly deep voice:

    "With aversion, this insertion
    came so swiftly
    Cut the cord, from this day forward
    We'll be drifting..."


    The music starts filling the others with a mixture of courage and anger.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh well, i'll just inspire courage for now

    Initiative (1d20+3)[9]

    Yeah and I'm starting using my bardic music for Inspire courage +1.

    Everyone gets a +1 morale bonus to attack, damage and saves against fear effects
    Need an avatar? Check out Threeshades's Home of Orphaned Avatars

    [/CENTER]

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DeathQuaker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Sabra blinks in confusion. Was she not just standing clearly in front of the Sacred One but moments ago? She did not recall stopping her march, nor did she consciously allow the Sacred One to move ahead of her.

    But the sudden attack gives her no time to think about it, and she brings her frustration to bear on the nearest gnoll (either the gnoll that dropped the Sacred One, or the one Jonas is charging, depending on when her action goes off). She draws her blade and swings it mightily towards her foe, screaming in a wolf-like howl.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Initiative: (1d20+3)[17]

    Attack: (1d20+3)[8]

    If I hit, damage: (1d10+4)[11]
    And the best thing you ever done for me is to help me take my life less seriously. It's only life, after all.
    - Emily Saliers, "Closer to Fine"

    LGBTitP

    Blog: http://deathquaker.livejournal.com
    Seldom updated Website: http://www.deathquaker.org

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slamexo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Brow

    Seeing the Sacred One fall down into the grass, Brow swept into action and tossed the dart she had been twirling in her hands straight for the head of one of the gnolls she had yet to see act, or at least one that wasn't being aimed at by the others, a determined look covering her face.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Dart attack roll (1d20+5)[7]
    Dart damage roll (1d4+3)[7]
    Sneak attack damage if it comes up (1d6)[6]
    Initiative roll (1d20+4)[11]

    Rolly rolly

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kaihaku's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States of America
    Gender
    Male

    Exclamation Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Initiative Order
    Spoiler
    Show
    [21] Hex
    [19] Gnoll 2
    [18] Jonas
    [17] Sabra
    [15] Gnoll 1
    [11] Brow
    [9] Jothan
    [2] Gnoll 3


    From the tip of his finger, Hex unleashes a tiny bolt of electricity and crackles through the air but misses, just barely, the nearest of the Gnolls.

    One of the Gnolls weighs its greatclub in hand, seeming to pondering bringing it to bear on the skull of the unconscious woman at its feet...then a crackling ray of electricity singes the air before its nose and it turns its attention to the group, stepping towards them and swinging it's weapon at Jonas.

    Spoiler
    Show
    A(Jonas)(1d20+2)[21]
    D(Jonas)(1d10+1)[9]


    Jonas furiously lays into the Gnoll which attacked him, dealing it a grievous blow which sends the creature reeling before it falls to the ground.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Jonas OHKOs Gnoll 2. It is unconscious but alive.


    Letting out a fearsome cry, Sabra starts for the beast which had just struck Jonas but then, as he downs it with a single blow, she instead charges at the Gnoll which had downed the Sacred One. Still confounded by the strange twist in reality which had removed her from her defensive position in front of her ward, her swing is off and she just misses striking the Gnoll.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sabra misses Gnoll 3.


    The largest of the Gnolls swings its greatclub at Sabra with a snarl.

    Spoiler
    Show
    A(Sabra)(1d20+3)[14]
    D(Sabra)(1d10+3)[12]


    Brow swiftly sends a dart flying at the largest Gnoll, her dart just missing its head but coming close enough to clip away a lock of hair. The Gnoll turns its fearsome glare in her direction.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Brow misses. Figures that you'd get a 2 on the attack roll and then roll max damage. :(


    Jothan sings a song of resistance, further inspiring his allies to redouble their efforts

    The last of the Gnolls looks from Sabra to Jonas and back again, clearly a bit intimidating by the downing of its ally. Swallowing dryly, it takes a step back, then moves towards Jonas.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Five-foot Step (Not enough distance to charge)
    A(Jonas)(1d20+3)[21]
    D(Jonas)(1d10+3)[13]
    Spoiler
    Show

    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

    Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Jokes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Jonas

    The two bloodying blows only make Jonas angrier as he raises his battleaxe against the gnoll that last hit him.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Free: Maintain rage.
    Standard: Attack gnoll 3
    attack: (1d20+7)[13]
    damage: (1d12+8)[10]

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Broken Damaged Worthless

    Default Re: [DnD 3.6] Escort the Sacred One

    Hex grimaces, and takes aim again.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Attack: (1d20+3)[22]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]
    Let's hope it goes better this round.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •