New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Vaporaria Mortis (IC)

Tha rain beats down on you as you near the tavern. You are currently traveling with a strange assortment of characters (Other PCs). You haven't talked much, except to note that you all seem to be heading in the same direction, to the halfway inn. You've been trudging along this particularly obscure dirt road for days, and if your map's are to be beleived, you're near your destination. The location had surprised you initially, being scant miles away from the northernly Arnesian Mountains, which made the border to the 'country' of Lyrabar. More like the border for Arnesia, really. After all, Lyrabar hardly has any form of stable government, so setting borders is almost laughable.

Everyone's heard of Arnesia. If it weren't for the nigh-impassible mountains blocking entry, thousands of people would have left Lyrabar for the supposed 'home of civilization' by now. Some have tried, but those who did manage to get over the mountains were stopped. Arnesia isn't too keen on visitors. Still, the desire is there. After all, if half the rumors about the place are to be beleived, Arnesia is a paradies with milk and honey running through the hills. Sure they're a theocracy. Sure the priests are overzealous. It couldn't be any worse than living here. Small towns ravaged by monsters and bandits. Constant warfare. Not knowing which side to join... chaos.

Most people wouldn;t have even bothered making the journey you have. After all, this place is remote as hell and you don't even know what the job is. The signature on the letter, however, gave you pause. Firthren De'Bargo, of the Kingmakers. The name means nothing to you... but the Kingmakers... well... that's a different story.

Everyone's heard rumors about the King Makers. It seems rumors are all that keep the common folk going. Supposedly a group of movers-and-shakers from throughout Lyrabar, inent on establishing a Monarchy and stable government. Needless to say, they've got their work cut out for them. It has been rumored, however, that they've backed certain warlords to bring about the end they seek. Whatever they want from you is probably big, and expensive.

OOC: This is a time for you to describe your characters, perhaps make a few interaction on the road, bascially set up for the game.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Vaporaria Mortis (IC)

Ol'Maggie the Crone

One of the travelers, is for all appearances and mannerisms, a old crone dressed in a tattered robes of black and grey. Her withered face could not fully be hidden by the hood of her cloak, but her eyes are never seen do to a pair of spectacles made from darkened glass...perhaps obsidian. She carries little beyond necessities...a shoulder bag, a belt with a few pouches, and an old rune covered ivory cane, which she seems to use in the assistance of her walking. She talks little as the party moves along, but when she does she does so in a raspy formal voice that though seemingly ancient, has a strong commanding and compelling effect to it.

Other then the rare instances of speech, the Old Crone keeps to herself and makes not a sound, aside from the metallic "clinking" sound that occurs when she walks.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Sorry for the short and briefness of this...I seem to have a itsy bit of writer's block that needs demolishing today.
    Spoiler
    Show

"I'm a full 10 Kilonazis!? I only burned down...30 orphanages..."

Current Inspirational Music: "Sleeping Beauty" by A Perfect Circle

Rest in peace, E. Gary Gygax. May you be buried under a +5 Vorpral Tombstone.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Vernya

The border is not a safe area to travel alone, not even for somebody trained to fight. Somehow, when leaving the last inn, or maybe at the last cross roads just another cloaked figure joined the somewhat small but rather wet group of adventurers.

During the last hour the starnger has been looking around quite often, but not talking, now the silence is about to be broken.

"Any of you a local?"

The voice coming from under the hood is a little throaty but definitely female, which could be a tiny bit surprising for the fact that she appears to be more than 6 feet high, with a bulky backpack and the silent clicking and scraping of metal against metal. Although, with a rain cloak covering the pack, it's hard to say how heavy it really is. Also, with the heavy boots on thick heels and sinking in in the mud on the dirt road judging height is difficult as well. Finally, in these lands, in these times, doesn't anyone who can afford it wear some kind of amor?

So, well, maybe not surprising at all. However, the choice of words is very direct - bare of flowers of speech. For those with keen ears, just briefly before the loudly outspoken question, a grumbling noise, like from an empty stomach was to be heard, followed by a mumbled "Come on dumb rain, go away and let me shoot something to eat". Both together a hint why the woman's patience broke in the last hour and why she spoke up loudly.

Indeed she seems not be a patient one at all, following with another question immidiately: "You go the same way, you know how far to the Halfway Inn?"

When she turns her head towards the group she looks up, revealing orcish and human features alike. Not that she has been trying to conceal them that hard, but with the hood and the rain pouring, some might have overlooked the fact. Until now.
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eliwood, servant of Pelor

Trudging wearily onwards in the middle of the group is a tall man wearing a dark cloak, with two maces visible beneath. A strand of midnight-black hair falls across his shockingly blue eyes as he walks, and he brushes it away with a three-fingered hand.

He replies to the half-orc without looking at her. I don't have a home, not around here, not anywhere. He looks up into the rain, and grins. I love the rain. It cleans the dirt from people's eyes, and makes them appreciate the sun.
    His eyes travel around his surroundings as he walks, and he seems positively interested in the scenery. He breathes heavily, as if he's carrying a great weight.
    Last edited by Matticus; 2008-04-01 at 11:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Jamdak

A young, attractive male walks somewhat briskly, making sure to keep as much distance between himself and the priest without alienating himself from the rest of the group. He looks back a few times when he thinks no one's looking. His face contorts in disgust when he spies the cleric, however, as if he had been hoping the cleric had disappeared since he last looked back.

He wears a long overcoat, pants, and a belt with some strange, folded blades tucked away. Two short swords decorate his hips, drawing some attention away from his bare chest (he wears no shirt underneath his overcoat). If the cold rain bothers him, however, he doesn't show it. His head is covered in short, well-trimmed dirty blond hair and an arrogant look of superiority somewhat mars his somewhat otherworldy, but handsome face.

When the half orc speaks, he glances her way and begins to size her up in his mind. A look of disappointment crosses his face.

Damn. Why does she have to be wearing such a long, conealing cloak? It's been a while since I've made love to a half-orc...hm...

Feeling he has no real need to answer her, he turns back towards the front, but his smile quickly disapears when the cleric speaks. It doesn't last however. His smile quickly returns as he calls out,
    "I sure hope the whole trip isn't as serious as this! You guys need to lightin' up and enjoy life, whatever he gives you. Don't let a little rain spoil the fun!"
    He returns his gaze to the half orc and grins.
    Last edited by Earthdragon444; 2008-04-02 at 07:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Vernya

When the maces and the swords carrying companions have spoken, Vernya walks for a little time looking at the other three walking figures now and then.

"Not local..."

She shakes her head and tucks a strand of black hair back under her hood with two fingers. The gloves she wears seem to be sturdy, yet very fine crafted, with small studs of dark metal on the backside. She moves over relatively to the other wanderers, placing herself somewhere in between the two guys who have answered her before thus changing the marching order a bit.

"Not afraid of the rain. But it is more fun to run trails, shoot rabbit and game." After this clarification she adds after a short while with a shrug "You know. They hide in rain. Tracks disappear."

Now that she comes closer it becomes clear that her height cannot be more than 6 feet, given the thick soles of her boots probably even less. Her eyes are an odd (for humans) yellow but the look on her face is friendly. Her human and orc features seem to have found an acceptable compromise there. The shape of her body, as much as the cloak reveals anyway, is muscular - maybe more muscular than a human woman should be - but not ridiculous.

"I will appreciate sun and fun" She grins having said this and seems to withdraw herself somewhat, head bowed. After a while she says softly to no one in particular "After long rain. On long run. Mind the pain. Looking at sun. But given sun. Allowed to hunt. Pulling a stunt. Life is fun.".
    Last edited by Krelon; 2008-04-05 at 10:00 AM.

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eliwood

But I AM enjoying what life throws at me! says an indignant Eliwood after the man has scolded them all for having survived puberty and come out of it with control over their loins and some actual maturity. () Anyway, who said Life was a man? I always suspected it was a she. Oblivious to the fact the womanizer detests him, Eliwood's trying to hold a reasonable argument with him.
    (OOC: Not to be a nagger, but does our DM still exist? )

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

OOC: Still here, It seems one of the charcters I said work for the game, his player seems to have vanished. Oh Well. Earthdragon, are you there?

Anyway, I'll move things along if you wish.

9. - Top - End - #9

SwashbucklerGuy

Ol'Maggie the Crone

The old hag walks quietly listening to the incessant babble of her traveling companions...no not companions, people who just happened to be traveling in the same direction she was. She looks over them again and forms her first analysis on each of them.

The Womanizer. A fool by any other name, incapable of taking in the weight that reality truly brought on the backs of those who knew of it. He reminds Maggie of a few young nobles who had lived spoiled lives with all their responsibilities delegated down to servents, including their politics. Manipulation will be easy once the true vice of the boy is made clear, though why manipulate someone who could probably not be counted on?

The Orcblood. A creature of simple minded naivite. Obviously strong and hardy, and more then capable of using that axe she carries to full effect...though any commands to use that axe will have to be simplified to "Hit this" and "Hit that"....still, not as foolish as the Womanizer, perhaps even more dependable too...Maggie wonders what would happen if that naivite is smashed...damaging the reality of the mind in such a manner is bound to release many repressed demons...

The Man. Other then his scewed sense of what "life" is, he remains a stone that is hard for Maggie to read. She noticed some small details, like the fact that his pinky was missing...or that he is in his late 20s, early 30s...then again, age based on physical appearance is such a fickle thing these days. Perhaps her inability to read him, is the result of her judgement being clouded...she didn't like him...not one bit. Despite his misplaced views, he seemed the most wise and dependable of the three...but there is something off...something that repulsed her completely...

She need more information...perhaps she should join in the conversation now.

"Assigning a gender to a concept such as life, is a useless and misplaced task..." She speaks up, her voice raspy and cold, yet strangely enthralling. "Life and Death have no gender...no mind...no will. They are just ever-consuming entities...life drains our youth, our mind, and our strength...till the point where only one thing within us remains...and Death takes that. Beyond that, there is little else we need to know, nor is there little else we could comprehend without a loss of Sanity...life takes that as well by the way."

The Crone gazes through her darkened obsidian glass spectacles to each of the travelers and then adds. "I am sorry...did I darken your mood?"
    Last edited by EvilWalks; 2008-04-10 at 11:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Vernya

"Nah, hunger and rain more dark", she replies the crone.

"You bitter. Bad life?"

There is no sarcasm in her voice, just plain curiosity.

((EDIT:OOC: alright, I guess it's a unique style to play this way, so let's have some conversation))
    Last edited by Krelon; 2008-04-10 at 12:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eliwood

Eliwood stops when the aged woman interjects with her opinion, a little shocked. Well that's a very negative attitude to take, madam! He resumes trudging along with the rest.
    Of course, you're right. There are things around us we shouldn't try to comprehend. Best to leave that sort of thing to the Gods.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Jamdak

The Young male laughs as the old crone speaks. " Well old crone I will not waste my life thinking about the end especially since that is a very long ways away. As for your theory on life is a woman Priest well yours may be for you are just another controlled puppet to those gods you worship so feverishly God who cares nothing for you. Why shouldn’t we try to comprehend the mysteries of life for if we understand those I do not think we would have any really need for those wasters of life you call gods for my life is a man because men are wild and exiting and unpredictable. The worship of god is nothing more than the need for some higher purpose. Well that higher purpose is life the ability to feel fear and not know witch moment shall be your last is makes everything more beautiful and exiting. That is the one thing the gods do not have the because the know everything and have their great powers to protect them yeah that would be a very boring life or what ever you want to call it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eliwood

Instead of getting annoyed at the foolish outburst, Eliwood looks a little confused. Why d'you think I'm a priest? he asks, for he is utterly devoid of little holy symbols dangling around his neck, halos, little rays of sunshine following him everywhere, and has not in fact cast any spells or suggested that he is a priest beyond admitting he believes the Gods exist.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

OOC: Eliwood: He has the ability to detect magic, the type, and strength at will. This also allows him to dsicern spellcasters.

15. - Top - End - #15

Vernya

The gal looks suspiciously at the fast talking stranger with a frown that deepens the more words pour out. She keeps for quiet for a second even after the speech is over, because of this delay leaving the man who has been addressed as a priest the opportunity to answer first.

"Many words. You say gods boring? You like fear?"

She shakes her head at that.

"Fear is bad. Something makes fear I kill."

Turning to Eliwood she asks, "Not priest? You deny gods?"

16. - Top - End - #16

SwashbucklerGuy

((Um...anyone still here?))
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

((I don't like to double post so was waiting. I guess you guys were not in the mood for a talk?))

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

((I figured I'd wait for Earthdragon444 and reply to Krelon's and his, but he appears to have disappeared.
    Um.))

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

OOC: I'm still here!

I'll give him till tomorrow then take over his cahracter and progress the plot.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The long coated man shakes his head. But fear makes you alive does it not? He then turns to the preistI know what you are because well first off im not just another human like you are Ive seen more that you will most likely ever see when it comes to the gods.I was also once something like you but that was a long time ago before... A pained look comes to his eyes he shakes his head and turns away from eveyone and picks up the pace.

21. - Top - End - #21

Vernya

The orc trudges along curiously eying Elliwood who has yet neither confirmed nor denied his profession and musing what to make of the other travelers' responses, especially the young man mood changes but then again also about the creepy old crone.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eliwood

Eliwood shifts under his cloak, trying to make himself more comfortable. He appears to be rather bulky. He rolls his eyes at the other man's little speech.
    Fear doesn't make you alive he explains. Your heart and brain make you alive, generally. And yes, I am a priest. The Eternal Flame of Pelor with burn long after you and your blasphemous tongue have left this world. The way he said this did not seem at all angry or annoyed, he was simply speaking fact.
    What did you do, then, a long time ago?

23. - Top - End - #23

Vernya

Strange, everyone's been a priest... maybe the old one, too?

Since the two men seem to be having a conversation of their own, she turns to the old crone who though she didn't say much, still has been more talkative than the rest of the small group.

"Say, you've been priest, too. Like those?" waving her hand in the general direction of the two men.

24. - Top - End - #24

SwashbucklerGuy

Ol'Maggie the Crone

Magdalena finds the torrent of chain-linked conversation and bickering that her blunt speech had enflamed, only marginally amusing...though it does give her some momentary thought. The men had both been priests, and one currently was...this elevates them in her books from insignificant to possible threat...and her cold calculating mind begins to formulate possible strategies and conspiracies to remove either or both of them if she has to.

Her train of thought is given pause however, by the question posed by the Half-Orc girl. The question was either rather innocent or showed a heightened insight that most Orcbloods do not possess.

"Though I prefer to think of myself as a philospher and spiritualist..." She responds in her raspy yet enthralling voice, "...there was a time when I believed in a saint of sorts...it was a delusion however, and I payed for my foolishness as did most of my...colleagues...at the time. Perhaps that is why I feel such disdain and...pity...for the rest of my race. So caught up in attributing forces beyond their control to single entities that make it easy for them to comprehend, when the real truths are so much greater in scope, and so far beyond their understanding."

Her long skeletal fingers grip her ivory cane tightly enough to whiten her knuckles for a moment and then she adjusts her tinted spectacles. "I am sure however, that three people with some connection to the Divine, walking the same road, in the same direction, is just one of those rare cases of mere coincidence...unless you yourself where a priestess?"

She arches an eyebrow and continues on hobbling forward with her back arched, like the crone she appears to be.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Vernya

Trying her best at continuing the interesting conversation philosophical yet sounding brutish enough Vernya throws new kindling to prevent the fire of conversation from dwindling.

"Humans are weak. Orcs are strong. Ogres stronger even. Doesn't mean ogres better than orcs."

She laughs then, heartily.

"Do I look like a priestess?"
    "I'm a dog of war. I worship the god that pays me enough, then go find another that wants me. Enough coincidence for you?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

OOC: Still here, I'll post things soon.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Jamdak

He continues to stare up front ignoring all other activity he seems to be in his own world

(5 more days)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

((hello is any one their))

3 more days

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorry for the delay... school work. Will post tonight... at friends house right now.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Earthdragon444 View Post
    ((hello is any one their))

3 more days
    3 days to what?