New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Big D*** Heroes in a Big Bad World - Chapter I

Bladetongue stomps to the rope ladder, bringing his massive blade to bear. Hacking down at the rope, he attempts to slash through it.
    HACK THE ROPES!! THIS HEMPEN PIECE OF GARBAGE WILL HOLD STRONG, BUT NOT IF YOU CUT THEM TO RIBBONS!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move to G18, Hack at the ropes, and prepare to smack down some orcs coming up the ladder. Attack vs. Ladder- (1d20+9)[21] and (1d10+5)[15] damage. Attacks of opp.- (1d20+9)[25] and (1d10+5)[14], (1d20+9)[22] and (1d10+5)[15], (1d20+9)[18] and (d10+5)[10].
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Bladetongue
    Spoiler
    Show
    And second round, more choppy, but I'd like to see what the results of my first attempts are.
    The Bear is Back.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thanald 29/29 AC:17, F:12, R:16, W:17

(OOC: OK.....we'll say that last roll was for the Orc at H4. Here are the rolls for the rest of them)

(Intelligence vs. Fortitude)

Attack Orc H5 - (1d20+5)[18]
    Attack Orc H6 - (1d20+5)[10]
    Attack Orc H7 - (1d20+5)[8]
    Attack Orc I4 - (1d20+5)[24]
    Attack Orc I5 - (1d20+5)[6]
    Attack Orc I6 - (1d20+5)[11]
    Attack Orc I7 - (1d20+5)[17]
    Attack Orc J4 - (1d20+5)[15]
    Attack Orc J6 - (1d20+5)[24]
    Attack Orc K8 - (1d20+5)[23]
    Attack Orc L5 - (1d20+5)[15]
    Attack Orc L7 - (1d20+5)[10]

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for the clarification, Mayonase. Wasn't sure which way it went. But it looks like full damage to those I hit (from the above roll) will be 8 HP, and 4 HP to those I missed. Either way, I think there'll be a lot of bodies down there...:) And as purepolarpanzer said, if possible, can we see an updated map before we go on to the second round of attacks?
    Last edited by Ron2112; 2008-09-20 at 05:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

Ophelia 34/34 AC:19, F:15, R:15, W:17

Bent half-double, Ophelia dashes along the wall past Tremblor. Spinning her spear around, she tries to use the haft to lever a ladder away from the wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Round 1
    Move: G11
    Standard: Strength vs H11 ladder - (1d20+3)[19]

Round 2

This depends on what you mean by 'adjacent to a ladder'. Is G5 adjacent to the ladder leading from H4 to G4? If it is, then I have two possible actions (ignore first listed). If it is not, then I have three.

IF the ladder at G/H11 is down, AND Thanald has moved:
    Double Move: G4

IF the ladder at G/H11 is down, AND Thanald is still at G4:
    Move: G5
    Standard: Strength vs H5 ladder - (1d20+2)[18]

IF the ladder at G/H11 is still there:
    Standard: Strength vs H11 ladder - (1d20+3)[4]

And some opportunity attacks:
    Attack - (1d20+6)[16], Damage - (1d8+4)[6]
    Attack - (1d20+6)[12], Damage - (1d8+4)[11]
    Attack - (1d20+6)[12], Damage - (1d8+4)[12]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seeing that the impatient dragonborn appears to have the ladder well in hand, Aarhis moves into position to support Kalin [move to G21] and slashes at the ladder as he arrives.

STR check - (1d20+5)[3](8)
    Last edited by technophile; 2008-09-20 at 10:11 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Kasadya a'Deveimar, Tiefling Warblade
    Sebastian Avero, Human Sagittarius

6. - Top - End - #66
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

There's no time for rest as the party springs into action. Aahris moves to support the nearby Kalin and hacks at a ladder while the archer busily shoots down every Orc that seems to be beneath his gaze. The Mage Thanald lets fly a freezing spell which leaves a half dozen dead warriors in its wake and has the survivors looking as worried as they are frostburnt.

Tremblor struggles with Ophelia to free the clawed rope from the stone and send a ladder crashing, and with their combined effort succeed to rip one free and send its climber unceremoniously to the hard ground below to join the Orc similarly knocked down as Bladetounge chopped free another ladder.

The battle rages on all around you, on the ground, down the line, as screams and crashes and aarows fill the very air you breathe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanald is up for Round 2: (Ophelia/Tremblor, you don't need to change or repost your actions but can, and yes diagonal counts as adjacent.)

Thanald
    Ophelia
    Tremblor
    Bladetongue
    Orcs
    ROUND 3
    Aarhis
    Kalin
    Thanald
    etc

**UPDATE 8-29** Laptop repaired... kinda! Actually, my friend just showed me how to turn it on without a power button, which is kinda the same thing, right?

8-16-08: Laptop broken; posting future uncertain

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Having taken care of the nearby Orcs for now, Thanald looks down range, targets two more of the brutes and directs an Icy Rays attack at them:

(Intelligence vs Reflex):

Attack Orc O3 - (1d20+5)[21]
    Attack Orc O4 - (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage - (1d10+5)[9]

The area below is a bit clearer, so Thanald runs down the battlement to help his new comrades-at-arms.

Spoiler
    Show
    Per above, this is targeted at the Orcs at O3 and O4. For the move, Thanald will end his turn at F10.
    Last edited by Ron2112; 2008-09-20 at 09:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

Ophelia 34/34 AC:19, F:15, R:15, W:17

Ophelia flashes a quick triumphant grin at Tremblor. Readying her spear in hand again, she quickly turns and darts back down the wall, nodding at Thanald as they pass each other. "I'll call if I need you!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Just for clarification, since I'm here: taking my second option.

Move: G5
    Standard: Strength against ladder: 18.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Kalin

35/35 hp AC:19 Fort:14 Ref:17 Will:16

Kalin continues to fire into the orcs at the base of the ladder. He glances quickly out over the battlefield, and returns to the work at hand, a look of grim determination of his face.

Spoiler
    Show

Twinstrike at orcs closest to ladder near me

attack 1: (1d20+8)[27]
    Damage: (1d10+1)[9]

Attack 2: (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage: (1d10+1)[5]

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Bladetongue

The Dragonborn rushes foreword, pushing past several others as me makes his way to another ladder. Hacking away at it, he turns his head to the archer.
    Step back! Let me take the brunt of their fire, while you rain death upon them! We'll need your arrows again before this day is done!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using Wolf Pack Tactics to allow Kalin to shift a square, maybe save his butt a few arrows. Then attacking the ladder- (1d20+9)[20] and (1d10+5)[13] to slash another one.
    The Bear is Back.

11. - Top - End - #71

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show

Kalin will shift away from the edge and hopefully not have to practice his elven pincushin imitation :)

12. - Top - End - #72

Goblin

[Again, sorry for the delay. Family issues came up.]

Thanald's icy bolts drop two more warriors as they surge forward, sending their sprawling bodies over the muddy terrain to be lost below the feet of their peers. Ophelia runs over to support the mage, and she and Tremblor struggle to rip free the hooks that keep two hempen ladders in place but fail to completely rip them free this time. Bladetounge then pushes an archer companion to the rear of the wall for safety, taking a second mighty swing at a ladder and cutting it deeply but failing to completely sever the strands that bind it together [2 HP left]. Now, it is the Orcs' turn to strike.

Aarows fly, a lack of accuracy made up for in spades by the vast quantities being shot. No one standing on the front line is safe from its wrath...

[5 damage per Hit]
    Ophelia - (d20+5)[24], (d20+5)[10]
    Tremblor - (d20+5)[19], (d20+5)[16]
    Aarhis - (d20+5)[9], (d20+5)[19]
    Bladetounge - (d20+5)[7], (d20+5)[20]

The aarows pierce deep and you see men around you falter and fall with each volley. And then the attackers come. Many ladders and many Orcs have already fallen, but an unending supply seem to remain as the first of many enemies crest the edge. Your group is lucky for now: As three fighters heads appear at the tops of the ladders, the blades of Bladetounge, Tremblor and the Captain all meet their mark and send lifeless forms back to the earth below.

The respite is short lived, however, as more of the Horde surges forward and even more ladders are thrown aloft. Further down the wall, amidst the sounds of fighting and brawling you can hear and feel the thumps of raw explosions and see eruptions of flame and masonry. It would seem more than one breach team was sent under the wall after all...

"Gods, give us strength! Hold this line, men! Hold!!!"

Spoiler
    Show

**UPDATE 8-29** Laptop repaired... kinda! Actually, my friend just showed me how to turn it on without a power button, which is kinda the same thing, right?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aarhis: 35/39hp, AC 20, Fort: 18 Ref: 14 Will: 14

Aarhis shifts slightly, narrowly deflecting one arrow away with his shield as another zips past his shoulder.

Lifting his blade, he slashes at the ladder in front of him, hoping to cut it free and move on before the orcish archers can correct their aim.

Attack vs AC - (1d20+10)[8](18)
    Damage - (1d8+6)[7](13)

A quick glance around shows him an unprotected ladder with orcs beginning to swarm up it, so he moves along the wall to take that position. (Move to G17.)
    Last edited by technophile; 2008-09-24 at 08:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

Tremblor
    HP: 39/39 AC: 21 Fort: 16 Ref: 16 Will: 14

Tremblor's warding deflects the arrows that come at him. He shifts into position in front of the next ladder and brings his sword down upon it.

Spoiler
    Show

Shift to G11
    Attack vs Rope Ladder: - (1d20+8)[20](28)
    Damage - (1d10+7)[2](9)

Attacks of Opportunity bound to come:
    [rollv=OA1:]1d20+8[/rollv] / Damage: - (1d10+7)[7](14)
    [rollv=OA2:]1d20+8[/rollv] / Damage: - (1d10+7)[5](12)
    [rollv=OA3:]1d20+8[/rollv] / Damage: - (1d10+7)[4](11)
    Last edited by Awesomologist; 2008-09-25 at 12:26 AM.
    Melkor, Tiefling Warlock Avatar by Nevitan

15. - Top - End - #75

Spoiler
    Show

Just rerolling the attacks since i messed up the formatting.
    Attacks of Opportunity:
    OA1: - (1d20+8)[10](18)
    OA2: - (1d20+8)[13](21)
    OA3: - (1d20+8)[17](25)

16. - Top - End - #76

BlackDragon

Kalin

35/35 hp AC:19 Fort:14 Ref:17 Will:16

Glancing across the battlement, Kalin saw that not only was one of the ladders undefended, but the tiefling warrior was holding another without any assistance, as was the Captain. Kalin turned and moved down the battlement towards them. As he ran, he called upon the power of his mighty bow. He turned and sent a shaft humming down into the orcs below the un-defended ladder. With a crack, the arrow exploded like a thunderbolt.

Kalin didn't wait to see what damage if any his shot did, turning instead to the Captain and Ophelia, nocking an arrow and preparing to shoot any orc that managed to make it up the ladders.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to G15

Minor action to activate Thunderburst longbow.

Basic ranged attack aimed at Orc in I 18, creating a burst 1 effect centered there.

Attacking all orcs in that area with a normal attack bonus vs. Fort, I think I will hit 7 orcs.

Attacks:

(1d20+8)[19]
    (1d20+8)[27]
    (1d20+8)[13]
    (1d20+8)[12]
    (1d20+8)[25]
    (1d20+8)[21]
    (1d20+8)[12]

Damage:

(1d10+5)[12]
    (1d10+5)[7]
    (1d10+5)[12]
    (1d10+5)[11]
    (1d10+5)[10]
    (1d10+5)[15]
    (1d10+5)[10]

Immediate Interuppt: The first orc to attack either Ophelia or the Captain will be attacked by my Disruptive Strike.

Attack: (1d20+8)[15]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[14]

If I hit but do not kill the Orc it takes a total attack penalty of 3 + my Wisdom mod = 7 to its attack roll aganst the target it was attacking.

Last edited by Britter; 2008-09-25 at 08:08 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing the Orcs at the base of the battlement, Thanald channels another enchantment at a group of Orcs. This time a Flaming Sphere erupts over top of the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    The sphere is centered at I9 and targeted at the Orc in H8. The attack and damage rolls for that Orc are:

(Intelligence vs. Reflex)

Attack Orc H8 - (1d20+5)[19]
    Damage Orc H8 - (2d6+5)[13]

Additionally, all adjacent Orcs take some collateral damage as follows:

Damage Orc H9 - (1d4+5)[9]
    Damage Orc H10 - (1d4+5)[7]
    Damage Orc I8 - (1d4+5)[8]
    Damage Orc I10 - (1d4+5)[9]
    Damage Orc J9 - (1d4+5)[8]
    Damage Orc J10 - (1d4+5)[6]

For what it's worth, unless there's a reason to change this plan, my intention is to continue channeling to maintain the sphere into next turn.
    Last edited by Ron2112; 2008-09-25 at 11:33 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

Ophelia 29/34 AC:19, F:15, R:15, W:17

Ophelia yelps as an arrow hits her in the shoulder, then ducks beneath a second. Twisting to peer along the wall, she looks briefly pale at the sight of more ladders being thrown up, and cutting her off from her allies. She spots the other members of the group hacking their ladders to pieces, and takes a moment to smile ruefully at her spear. "Torgald always said I'd regret not using an axe."

Then Thanald's Flaming Sphere erupts to her side. As the light dances across the wall, Ophelia raises her spear over her head and twirls it with a cheerful whoop before bringing it down in a flare of blue light.

Spoiler
    Show
    All that for a fairly simply turn.

Free Action: Activate Frost Spear so all damage done is cold damage.
    Standard Action: Attacking the far left ladder.
    Attack - (1d20+6)[11]
    Damage - (1d8+4)[10] cold

I was a little unsure of the idea of attacking a ladder, even a rope one, with a spear. I'm not sure freezing it and shattering it makes any more sense but...hey, a wizard did it!

19. - Top - End - #79

Goblin

Decimation continues as the fight rages on across the battlements. The warriors Aarhis and Ophelia hack at the ladders before them, gouging two deeply but failing to completely sever the lines. One more solid strike should manage, but at the rate this battle is proceeding, the Gods know if they'll have the chance. Tremblor follows suit, luckily catching the rope lines between his blade and a sharp corner of stone and sending ladder and Orc down three stories of free fall [Nice 20 ].

Both Kalin and Thanald take more direct approaches to the fight, sending explosive bursts of energy straight down and felling a dozen fighters between the two of them. The roars of terror and pain from below arouse an all too brief cheer from the line of archers by your shoulders before renewed waves of enemy fire send heads duckign back into cover.

The fighting is so fierce you can barely keep track of anything past your immediate surroundings. You can almost make out the sounds of fighting in the streets not to far distant behind you. Gods, if they've already made it through the wall...

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Bladetongue lets loose a gout of acidic vapor, enveloping both ladders. Ignoring the pain from an arrow that grazed his shoulder, he hacks at the ropes with renewed vigor, roaring in battle fury.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dragon's breath, (1d20+6)[24] first ladder, (1d20+6)[26] second one, and (1d6+2)[5], (1d6+2)[7] damage, and (1d20+9)[20] with (1d10+5)[15] on the surviving ladder.
    The Bear is Back.

21. - Top - End - #81

Goblin

The combination of an acid wave and furious strikes completely knocks down the ladders adjacent to Bladetounge, and coincidentally don't do much to endure the warrior to the Orcs caught in the after spray of the breath.

Arrow fire continues unrelentingly on the front line, and now ominously you can see flashes of flame among them as fire arrows target both combatants and the buildings behind them.

Ophelia - (d20+5)[15], (d20+5)[10]
    Tremblor - (d20+5)[15], (d20+5)[18]
    Kalin - (d20+5)[21], (d20+5)[9]
    Aahris - (d20+5)[24], (d20+5)[16]
    Bladetounge - (d20+5)[24], (d20+5)[13]

Still more Orcs scale the thrown ladders to the top of the wall, and again Ophelia, Aahris, the Captain and Tremblor are ready to end them as soon as they emerge. Others are not so lucky, though. Unhindered, two Orcish warriors crest the wall near the and strike down a human Archer as he overlooked the fight from above. They turn wicked eyes to the defenders around them and flash smiles of black teeth as unsheathed axes are gripped in their hands.

The battle seems more hopeless by the second as the unceasing press of enemies continues to surge forward. You don't know how long you'll be able to hold on your posts; no matter how vigilant, no matter how strong, it's truly just a numbers game, one that the Horde will win. With each passing second, more defenders are lost and more wounds are gained as a thousand fresh warriors wait to gut you at the first opportunity. Buildings are starting to burn behind you, and you can see the handiwork of the first of the Horde to have broken through and invade the city bringing swords, fire and beasts of battle.

Suddenly, bright flashes fill the sky. Blue alchemical flares shoot up from the Lord's tower and fly in all directions for all to see. The Signal. Evacuation is complete.

Time to run.

The Captain rejoices, "It's the Signal! Fall back, everyone, just GO-"

Three arrows strike and pierce his chainmail, and he falls heavily forward over the battlements.

Spoiler
    Show
    The ladders behind you take 1 Move action to slide down, or I suppose you could jump (Not really recommended).

G = Guard
    W = Wizard

The Wizards are arrayed around a permanent Linked Portal, casting their linked portal spells as quickly as they're able for all the surviving Guardsmen.
    Last edited by mayonase; 2008-09-26 at 12:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

BlackDragon

Kalin

30/35 hp AC:19 Fort:14 Ref:17 Will:16

Spoiler
    Show
    I assumed 5 damage per arrow strike, let me know if that has changed

Kalin's efforts seemed pitiful compared to the return fire that the Horde was dropping on them. Twisting out of the path of one arrow, Kalin was clipped by a second. As the wall's defenders fell and the Orcs began to sarm up the ladders, the elf prepared himself to stand fast and do his duty. Where is the damned signall...he thought, realizing that this fight was lost and that there was little he or anyone else could do here.

As if in response to his concerns, the sky was lit by the flares that marked the retreat. Kalin let out the breath he hadn't realized he had been holding, and turned towards the Captain to regroup, just in time to watch the officer go down.

With a curse, Kalin turned and headed for the ladders down into the city. Stopping next to one, he turned, and fired on the orcs that were coming up onto the wall.

"Get moving you lot!", he shouted. "I will give you cover.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to F12

Twinstrike on orcs at g7 and g8.

Attack 1: (1d20+8)[24]
    Damage: (1d10+1)[8]

Attack 2: (1d20+8)[17]
    Damage: (1d10+1)[3]

If the first orc dies, then I will direct my second shot at the survivor.

Preparing to use my Disruptive Strike, assuming that no attacks triggered it last round, on the first orc to engage any of my associates in melee combat.
    Attack: (1d20+8)[10]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[7]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aarhis: 30/39hp, AC 20, Fort: 18 Ref: 14 Will: 14

Aarhis grunts as an arrow slips past his shield and strikes him. Seeing two orcs reach the top of the ladder, he turns towards that end of the wall to help the Captain confront them. At that moment the bursts of light and the cries from the city draw his gaze, and he turns his head back just in time to see the Captain tumbling over the battlements.

Uttering a vicious oath in the rumbling Draconic tongue, Aarhis glances about for his companions. Seeing no orcs in the immediate area below the wall, he raises his voice to be heard over the sound of invasion.

"Everyone down the ladders! Archers and wizards first, cover the rest of us!"

Hefting his sword, he turns and jogs to the ladder near Kalin, Thanald, and Tremblor [ooc]Double move to F11[/ooc], then snarls a challenge to the two orcs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, btw: Standing instructions, in case they become relevant: Any orc who triggers an OA is marked if they survive the OA. The first orc in each round who triggers Combat Challenge gets attacked.
    Last edited by technophile; 2008-09-26 at 01:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The combination of the signal and Aarhis's yelling snaps Thanald out of his concentration. He stops channeling the Flaming Sphere and moves down the closest ladder.

(OOC: Mayonase -- I might have missed this from earlier, but what is th edifference between the orange squares and the dark grey squares on the map? I'm assuming dark grey is a wall, and the orange is fire?)

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving down the ladder at F11
    Last edited by Ron2112; 2008-09-26 at 01:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Goblin

OOC: Dark grey are buildings, orange squares are buildings on fire .

26. - Top - End - #86

Tremblor
    HP: 39/39 AC: 21 Fort: 16 Ref: 16 Will: 14

Upon seeing the the signal light us the sky, a feeling of success courses through Tremblor. The feeling is sadly fleeting as the captain falls to his death.

The others on the wall are quick to rally and head for the ladders, Tremblor pauses to check on the others. Seeing the elf take care of the two orcs who had breached the wall, Tremblor figures the Tiefling should be able to make it down the ladder. He follows the wizard down nodding at the Elf and Dragonborn.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

Ophelia 29/34 AC:19, F:15, R:15, W:17

"Dammit!" Ophelia ducks and then bats an arrow away with her buckler. She takes a half-step towards where the Captain fell, but then glances out over the wall.

It's a long drop. And there are orcs climbing on both sides of her.

Gritting her teeth, she waves the spear over her head, pointing up and into the city with it. "Fall back! FALL BACK!" She shouts and waves furiously to be certain everyone has seen, and then leaps to the ladder, sliding down and beginning the final run.

Spoiler
    Show
    Going down the ladder takes an entire Move? Plan is to go to the ladder on the left, and then move as far as possible to the right once on the ground. So...Double Move and as far as I'm allowed to go. Oh, and Ophelia's Move speed is 6, for convenience.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Bladetongue waits to make sure that everyone else has made the run, then follows himself, moving full speed.
    The Bear is Back.