New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [4e] Ranged Fighter abilities/features (contributions wanted)

Goal: To create a defender (the fighter) who can use a bow/crossbow usefully, at least with the support of a backup melee weapon.

Current status: brainstorming.

Class Features
    Fighters can choose a weapon talent in Ranged Weapons. This applies to thrown weapons, bows, crossbows, et cetera.

Level 1 at-will exploits
    Defensive Shot
    You snap off a quick shot with your weapon, expertly diverting enemies' blows to glance harmlessly off your armour.
    At-will * Martial, Weapon
    Standard action | Ranged weapon
    Target: One adjacent creature
    Attack: Dex vs. AC
    Hit: [W]+Dex damage (increases to 2[W] at 21th level)
    Special: You gain a bonus to AC equal to 2+ your Wisdom modifier vs. attacks of opportunity provoked from this attack.

Level 1 Encounter exploits
    Tormenting Shot
    A few well-placed arrows incite pain, sending weak-minded foes into a charge of blind rage.
    Encounter * Martial, Weapon
    Standard action | Ranged weapon
    Target: One creature
    Attack: Dex vs. AC (and will: see Secondary Effect)
    Hit: 2[W]+Dex damage
    Secondary effect: If the original attack roll exceeds the target's Will defense, the target is Pulled a number of spaces equal to your Wis modifier.

Level 2 Utility exploits
    Quickdraw
    When all your equipment is set up, you're a master of the quick draw.
    Encounter * Martial
    Free Action | Personal
    Effect: You can change weapons (and shield) without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Level 7 Encounter exploits
    Punishing Shot
    Your arrow in an opponent's back is a hard-earned reminder of the dangers of turning its back on you.
    Immediate interrupt | Ranged weapon
    Target: One Marked creature
    Trigger: A previously Marked creature moves away from you.
    Attack: Dex vs. Reflex
    Hit: 2[W]+Dex damage

So
    PEACH please, and if anyone has some more defendery ranged ideas I'd love to hear them. I'm working on some dailies, not sure what yet.
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: [4e] Ranged Fighter abilities/features (contributions wanted)

I like the premise a lot.

Why does defensive shot only target an adjacent creature though?

Maybe you can make an opposite version of Tormenting Shot that pushes the target instead of pulling. This would combo with Punishing Shot, which could be either desirable or undesirable. I think it would have to be play tested to see.

You know in movies where the hero shoots an arrow that pins an enemy against the wall? Maybe there could be a power that does that. If the target is next to a wall, the attack would get an additional effect where it makes the enemy stay there until the end of your next turn.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I don't particularly think that archery works as well with the Defender role - I think you might do better to do a Martial Controller that focuses on archery. Either way, though, I may throw in a few things here and there if I can think of cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chronoplasm View Post
    You know in movies where the hero shoots an arrow that pins an enemy against the wall? Maybe there could be a power that does that. If the target is next to a wall, the attack would get an additional effect where it makes the enemy stay there until the end of your next turn.
    Pinning Shot -TAB--TAB--TAB--TAB-Fighter Attack 7
    You take careful aim to assure the target can't get away.
    Encounter Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action -TAB- Ranged weapon
    Target: One creature in range
    Hit: 2[W] + Dex damage and the target is slowed (save ends).
    Special: If the target is adjacent to a wall or other solid
    obstruction, the target is immobilized instead of slowed (save ends).

You could probably do it as a 3rd-level encounter power if you made the effects last until the end of your next turn, but I like (save ends) better because it shows that they have to struggle to get the arrow out of the wall (or their leg, if they're not next to a wall).
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-09-12 at 02:51 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4

Pinning an enemy to a wall sounds intriguing.
    [edit]That is a great way to write it too. Almost exactly how I'd have done it. I'd make it "until end of next turn" though, save ends seems to be mainly for Daily powers.
    If this grows into a design for a Martial Controller, I wouldn't complain!

I'm trying to aim towards powers with a distinctly defender feel, to keep from intruding on a ranger's role as a striker. That means pushing is probably out for ranged. maybe not though? It just seems to me that a fighter at range wants to bring enemies closer to him and get them under control. Kind of the opposite of a ranged striker. maybe.

As for the combo, it's a fun idea but as-written only works if the opponent actually uses a move, so they can still shift/push/slide/etc further from the fighter without taking a shot. I dunno if htat limitation is necessary versus an encounter ability though.

Another thought:
    Level (high) Daily exploits
    Don't Go There
    You set your sights on a few terrain features, poised and ready to protect your allies against any interlopers.
    Daily * Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action * Ranged weapon Wall 6
    Effect: you may make an Opportunity Attack with an equipped ranged weapon against any enemy currently in or entering the wall's space. You are still limited by how many opportunity attacks you may take per turn.
    Special: Your Opportunity attack does not provoke a corresponding OA from adjacent enemies.
    Special: You cannot use this ability on any wall squares you are adjacent to.
    Duration: Sustain minor.
    Last edited by Erk; 2008-09-12 at 04:26 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I'd go with a different name for You Shall Not Pass there, since your not Gandalf, but other than that its a fun idea.

Heres some goofy ideas:

Last Steps a Doozy
    Target: One creature, or any number of target creatures in line of sight that are standing on stairs.
    Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
    Hit: 2[W]+dexterity
    Effect: If a creature damaged in this way is standing on stairs, it falls to the bottom of the stairs and its prone until the end of your next turn.

Knock Knock
    Target: One creature, or any number of target creatures in line of sight that are adjacent to a door
    Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
    Hit: 2[W]+dexterity
    Effect: If a creature damaged in this way is adjacent to a door, that creature is knocked prone.
    Last edited by chronoplasm; 2008-09-12 at 03:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erk View Post
    That is a great way to write it too. Almost exactly how I'd have done it. I'd make it "until end of next turn" though, save ends seems to be mainly for Daily powers.
    Thanks. I like it as save ends, though, even if that's normally for dailies, because slowed and/or immobilized are available at lower levels until the end of your next turn, so as a higher-level power I think it's okay. And honestly, they're not exactly the most powerful effects (neither grants CA, and they don't impose penalties except to movement).

If this grows into a design for a Martial Controller, I wouldn't complain.
    I've thought about it for a while anyway. I'll think about some new powers and probably come back with them.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

7. - Top - End - #7

BardGuy

I agree that a ranged defender really doesn't make a lot of sense. Having ranged attacks is nice for any class, but the whole point of staying at range in the first place is to not get hit, which is counter to the way most defenders are played.

I do, however, fully support the development of another bow/crossbow based class that is neither the Ranger or the Rogue. A martial controller of some time, fun!
    I spent an hour on the edge of dreams,
    I walked between the worlds,
    and when I woke I never knew
    to which side I had fallen

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Thanks. I like it as save ends, though, even if that's normally for dailies, because slowed and/or immobilized are available at lower levels until the end of your next turn, so as a higher-level power I think it's okay. And honestly, they're not exactly the most powerful effects (neither grants CA, and they don't impose penalties except to movement).
    I dunno, level 7 is not that high. I'd say, maybe make it slow for a turn normally but immobilise until save ends. Or just take out the slowing altogether: pinning to a wall is quite a bit more defender-y than slowing, and the limitation of the tgt having to be adj to a wall or solid object makes the save ends more balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge of Dreams View Post
    I agree that a ranged defender really doesn't make a lot of sense. Having ranged attacks is nice for any class, but the whole point of staying at range in the first place is to not get hit, which is counter to the way most defenders are played.

I do, however, fully support the development of another bow/crossbow based class that is neither the Ranger or the Rogue. A martial controller of some time, fun!
    I think it could be made to make sense, but I'm not sure we could come up with enough powers for a defender to keep it making sense all the way through a class progression it's true. I mean, so far I think we've put down quite defendery powers... but how many more are there?

On the other hand, if we start gearing towards something that is a bit of a defender/controller fusion, leaning towards controller, we'd have something that filled a pretty unique niche.

Suppressing Hail: Encounter (7?)
    You unleash a series of shots that rain wildly down on your enemies, forcing them to take great care or be skewered.
    Standard Action | Ranged weapon Area blast 2
    Target: One creature within blast
    Attack: Dex vs. Reflex
    Hit: 1[W] per missile that hits the target; the target is hit by 1d6 missiles.
    Miss: The target is hit by only 1 missile, doing half damage.
    Effect: The area within the blast becomes Difficult Terrain until the end of your next turn (regardless of if the attack hit or missed).

Flametrail Shot: Encounter (1?)
    You draw a shot , dip it into a pouch of black ooze, and set it loose. As it flies, the fluid bursts into flame, spattering burning droplets everywhere.
    Standard Action | Ranged weapon
    Target: One creature; also creates a line of effect.
    Hit: 2[W]+Dex modifier damage
    Special: The target's square and 1d6 squares in the path followed by the arrow are filled with fire (you choose which squares are filled). Any creature whose turn starts in a flaming square takes 2d4 fire damage.
    The fire persists until the end of your next turn.
    Last edited by Erk; 2008-09-12 at 04:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

How about this?

Cyclone Shot - ?
    "You fire an arrow that sends your foe spinnig around to face a nearby ally"
    ? * Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action Ranged Weapon
    Hit: X[W] + dex modifier damage and you select an ally within 5 squares of the target. The target is marked by that ally until the end of your next turn and and is dazed (save ends). If the attack also beats their will defence, the ally pulls them a number of squares equal to your _ modifier.

^ Basically, it sends a foe after an ally but the foe can only use one action to go near the ally. THen they lay a whooping on them and the gang-beating begins. Thoughts?
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!