New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Gods of a New Star [IC]

Gargax

The aged one chooses to ignore the sea-god altogether, not even acknowledging his existence. He turns to Ikassi

Yes... and No... The only true limit of magic is the imaginings of those who wield it, their ingenuity's in crafting it, and in their lives, that they might master the Art more fully, and pass their knowledge to future generations of Artisans. The longer one lives, the more knowledge they gain, the more power they can garner, and the more fully can they bring their imaginings to fruition and reality. Magic is as endless as the sea of imagination. The more creative you are and the more knowledge you gain, the more you can do.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gargax often refers to magic users in general as Artisans or Shapers of the Art
    Last edited by Lord_Asmodeus; 2008-09-13 at 08:19 PM.
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley_ View Post
    Ikassi

Yess...magic...magic is it? Well, I suppose I am not one deny the power of...magic.

She paused slightly before the word, as if the word had a peculiar taste. Her face showed no emotion, but she stared intently at Gargax.

Surely, one as ancient as yourself is more knowledgeable of the matter. I apologize, ancient one, for my earlier rudeness.
    Now, on the matter of ...Magic. This allows mortals, even the weak, to wield great power and influence in their world, correct? Am I correct in assuming the possibilities of this art are nigh endless?

The giant centipede looked slightly apprehensive for a moment before calming down again.
    "Yes... Magic is a side of the coin of power. On one side there is knowledge, and the other wisdom. The possibilities of this art are endless. The powers of magic can be made and shaped to the desires of the mortals for things greater than the mightiest undirected natural forces can accomplish. Some of us here are gods of magic from the Cosmos. My magic is of the spirit."

"However I see another way. The other side of the coin is knowledge. Through knowledge mortals may eventually come to know ways which they may cross the stars. You see, the gods of craft may well help the mortals to accomplish such feats."

"No greater glory can be accomplished for me than to advance mortal kind to the extent that they may have a Golden Age across space and time."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Severus

Severus stood by listening to the servant of the overgod and then his fellow godlings speak. There was much to learn from just observing the others and listening to their plotting. It was always good to know what his adversaries were planning.

He felt no need to converse with them at this time, to Severus they were not his equals, Dark Elves were the supreme beings in the world...he heard it many times before...his mind remembered a time before this summoning. It was hazy and distorted like a tapestry with scenes ripped out. Hatred and anger was all he felt. The High Priests gave their fiery sermons against all those who were not in service of...of...he could not remember, but the sermons were vivid. He recalled the teachings about the treachery of the surface elves, the treks through the tunnels searching for the enemies of the Drow, the final congregation when all were summoned to perform some rite. Yet it seemed so distant now.

Shaking his head to remove the fog that clouded his brain he focused his attention once more on the gathering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Saradinus turned around. Obviously angry at his presence, although he didn't know why. For some reason he knew that death was more Severus'es style. Saradinus stood silently, anxiously looking at the wicked Severus. "You, are much for subtlety, are you not?"

5. - Top - End - #35

Severus

Red eyes peered out from under his cowl at Saradinus. It was another sase of Deja Vu, the cowl was pulled low, vaguely he remembered the phrase "To honor him..." it was a mark of respect but he could not remember why. There was no time to dwell on it now, this creature wished to speak with him.

"Why not?" Severus shrugs "Is it so necessary to shout out loud ones intentions and make a fool of oneself so that all others can see. Is it not better to be reserved?"
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"The gods are family, Severus, I"d be saddened to know of a black sheep this soon."

7. - Top - End - #37

Severus

"Do not worry my brother. I just wish to take in the sight and sounds before I open my mouth."

8. - Top - End - #38

Liagyi-Nelek
    Liagyi-Nelek did not mind when Gargex chose to ignore him. The loss was his all the greater.

Patience was a quality not easily forgotten, and he had learned it well in both his mortal life - how far away it seemed now! - and in his new reality.

"Magic. It is a powerful tool, one that marks those who touch it indelibly. Even a small piece of magic will dye the waters of life indelibly."

Liagyi-Nelek lifted his arm, holding up the Chalice he had discovered within his hand. Holding his other hand over it, he squeezed tightly and let seawater fill the cup.

"This... but a small magic. And yet... it has the power to stain the world of the mortals. To tip the scales. Change their way of thought forever. And from new thought, new ideas. We are ourselves tainted by the magic of our past selves, and cannot think beyond the vestiges of our last lives."

He holds the cup out at arm's length.

"A little bit of the water from this cup, and it cures all ills. Too much, and it warps the flesh."

Liagyi-Nelek let go, allowing the chalice to fall from the heavens to the lands below. Godsmagic was too strong to be destroyed by physical forces alone - in fact, most magic was. He turned to watch as it landed on a beach, creating a great plume of sand where it landed.

"By itself, it sparks action."

Sometimes, though, patience had to be shelved.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-09-13 at 10:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Racci, Mistress of Fate

Silently taking in all that was being said and discussed, Racci was learning more and more of her fellow "gods". With a lull in the conversation she spoke up,
    "I see we have very different perspectives on these matters, and everyone believes so strongly in their point, but perhaps we might attend to the duties entrusted to us. This talk of what ifs and what is meant to be is beyond any one of us at this time. Calix, I would like to know the current state of the planet it is we are to attend to."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

"Stop this pointless argui9ng freind gods. What Sardinus claims is right we are family, and should treat eachother as such, and avoid pointless arguements, and fighting as much as possible.

I as a soldier before my god hood understand well that you cant always avoid fighting, or even a war. However we are GODS, and we should at least have control enough over ourselves to avoid bickering like...well; like children.

Now do not take offense at this last remark for I know some of you are rather sensitive to such remarks, but we need to get ourselves together, and our issues sorted out before we can call ourselves proper gods.

Having the power doesn't make a god it is his, or her wisdom, kindness, and the proper use of the power. So let us give this "black sheep" another chance let him see the benfits of cooperation, and living in peace with one another.

To prove my willingness to cooperate I will send my Nexus down to the planet it is a gift that spreads wisdom, and intellegence to those near it, and if they happen to be psionicly attuned it will allow them to access new feats of power."

With that Baldier raised a sadowy hand wisps of smoke trailing slightly as h moved, and as if from no where a giant crystal pulsating with purple energy appeared, and after a few muttered words of protection he sent it to a vilalge of peoples similar to the old peoples of Auir.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Lupin

Listening to the various conversations floating around him, Lupin couldn't help but snicker to himself before confronting the others and their ideas:

"You people seem so worried about what might happen here; did any of you get the part about surpreme power? Am I the only one excited about the chance to craft the natural paradise for animals that I've always dreamed of? Bunch of uptight stiffs you lot seem like."

"As for magic, bah! Arcane magic isn't something people are supposed to tap into on their own, and all it does is cause problems for everyone else! Divine magic is another topic, but all I know is that if you intend to allow everyone to be making fireballs and summoning lightning left and right, then keep it out of my forest lands!"

"Come to think of it, I don't think that a lot of us are going to get along too well with all these ideals. That's fine with me, so long as everyone who doesn't agree with me stays out of my way!"

Lupin starts to growl after his last sentence: a feral instinct to warn off supposed attackee's he still retained from his companion days.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Gargax

The Old God turned to Lupin, the wolf still snickering to himself, and affected an air that might be found in a college professor, about to school some up and comer on the truth about a subject. I heard that HE has ultimate power he nodded his head toward the looming shadow. I heard nothing about him sharing it all with us. And anyway, HE has ultimate power, and yet this world fell to ruin once before. Caution is the watch-word young wolf, you would do well to learn it, and heed it.

He inclined his head upwards, as if philosophizing, and then spoke to the wolf again. Arcane magic... and indeed magic in any form... is not something that should be restricted. It is an Art that one must respect, and to say that... that its not something people are supposed to tap into on their own? Then how, how would you propose people go about tapping into it?

When the wolf finishes and begins to snarl the old lich merely yawns, showing his long deadly fangs, and his vaguely insectoid features, weathered though they may be. Be wary who you growl at young pup, it might come to... haunt you... later.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Cyrus

Cyrus quietly listens to the others talk. He sighs, noticing the signs of what would be conflict ahead. He shakes his head and looks back at the planet. He swings the large hammer he finds in his hand up to his shoulder, seemingly ignoring the others.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Lupin

Turning his attention to Gargax, Lupin snarls at him.

"Listen Bones, arcane magic isn't something anyone should be using ever. Watch your tongue too, unless you want me to bite it out of your mouth!"

Lupin's growl grew louder and bolder towards the lich, bearing his own massive fangs as a response to the skeleton's.
    Last edited by Slamexo; 2008-09-14 at 08:12 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Liagyi-Nelek
    Liagyi-Nelek continued to watch the consequences of his actions, not so much as turning to look when Lupin began his tirade.

"Magic is Magic. To call one art 'Arcane' and another 'Divine' is meaningless. Do they not both shape the world? Does one distinguish between a catcher of fish and a farmer of fish? Both bring about sustenance, do they not?"
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-09-14 at 08:19 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

"Does no one pay attention to my act of good will? Do you all prefer that each of us be angry, and ignorant of eachother?
    "

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Gargax

Gargax merely raises his eyebrow, or the patch of withered skin that would have had an eyebrow. He points to his mouth and opens it wide, revealing the void and the immortal flames inside before speaking to Lupin seemingly heedless of his mouths actual movement. I don't HAVE a tongue.

He finally acknowledges the watery god, Liagyi-Nelek It is the source that derives distinction. Arcane and Divine Art, as well as others come from varied sources, whether it be gods, a well of power, life itself, or whatever. It is like the difference between a huntsman and a fishermen. They both catch meat for food, but one would not call a fisherman a huntsman, or a huntsman a fisherman.
    Last edited by Lord_Asmodeus; 2008-09-14 at 08:24 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The pseudodragon listened as the new gods argued. He grinned.

"Gargax has it right. We believe your past experiences will give you a different outlook. Surely you will make mistakes...but we hope that you learn from them. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what caused the destruction of the ancient civilizations on this unnamed planet. You will find out by yourselves. I see some of you are already thinking of exploring the Stars. In time, maybe...

Before you ascended, there were no intelligent life forms left on this world, but plenty of animals and plants. My master created new races of followers in your image. Also, you each have been attributed a domain in which lives a population of about 500. Your domain will expand as your population grows in size."

Calix studied each god in turn.

"As powerful as you are, you will have to follow some rules. First, deicide is forbidden. Second, you must not intervene directly in the lives of your followers. Any mortal who gazes at your true form will be paralyzed by fear, become insane or even comatose. You can safely appear to mortals in two ways: in dreams and visions, or in the form of an avatar.

Now, I think I have everything covered... You are free to go. But don't forget...that the Wyrm watches."

((OOC: See the OOC thread for more details.))

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Polaris

The Twin Princess listens to Calix with attention.

"And what about apotheosis ? Will there be any possibility of mortals ascending to goodhood ? That would be something interesting to be seen, if possible. Nevertheless, I look forward to our work in this world. I hope we may proceed with the right choices and work in harmony to create greater civilizations that the ones that preceeded our time here." - Then the Twin Princess looks to Gargax and Lupin, with a shadow of disapprovement passing through her eyes - "As I said, let us not fall into the wrong choices and succumb to infighting and destroy ourselves."
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ikassi

Speaking to Polaris

Apotheosis, hmm? We already know it is possible from our current...mmm...situation. But of course, you mean that of the mortals of this age. Whether or not it is possible, you are correct. We have a world to nurture.

Ikassi too looked at Gargax and Lupin, again with a look of bemusement.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Lupin

Seeing the dissapproving looks he's recieving, Lupin once again bares his giant fangs.

"Just let me stay in my realm, and we'll get along fine. Just to let you know, I don't respond kindly to threats."

The last comment is clearly directed at Gargax, with empahisis on the don't.

Following those words, he heads off to the land below to look at his domain: currently a large, empty space that stretched for miles upon miles.

"Hmmm, well first of all it needs to be surrounded by woods to give all its wildlife plenty of land for living."

Lupin thinks for a moment, wondering how to make his wishes reality, until he's surprised to find it come to existence a short time later.
    Last edited by Slamexo; 2008-09-14 at 03:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Erothayce

Silent for the entirety of the other gods bickering Erothayce is glad to hear of what they shall each rule over. "I must find a way to expand my followers minds. Saying this Erothayce concentrated deeply for a few minutes and created an avatar of himself to instruct his followers in the greater mysteries of the universe and to set up a tradition of learning and scholarly interest.
    Awesome avatar made by Arokh

I have a love affair with cycling.

2789 Miles cycled Since the end of March 2009. Many more to come.

erothayce.tumblr.com

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Gargax

Gargax speaks a final time, obviously aimed at Lupin Remember young pup, Caution is the watch-word. Before his form darkens and changes until he is a twisted shadow of his former appearance, a Wraith-King with an appearance of horror and awe, fires burning brightly in his eyes. He hold aloft a dagger, with a handle of bone holes that whistle despite the lack of wind, and glow with an odd and strangely sickening, but otherwise normal looking yellow-white light, like that of a lamp. Its wicked blade is black like oil, and fiery runes of blood glow in dark contrast along the blade. Despite the shadowy appearance of its wielder, the dark blade is all to real. Gargax speaks, his words echoing with supernatural tones that transcend the mortal realm.

I go now, to educate my Artisans in the working of their Craft

And with that both he and the malicious blade sink into the darkness, the blazing blue fires of his eyes, the odd light of the hilt and the burning runes of the blade glowing even when they have all vanished.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Cellis

He shook his head sadly, this was going to be a violent world...

So, may we go into the world?

assuming yes,

Cellis Stands up a tall insectoid ensi, with every insectoid part emphasized heavily, While, I must order my people, so that they can protect themselves.

With that, he spread huge dragonfly wings and flew to the earth, arriving at a mountain overlooking a mineral-rich range.

This will do nicely
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Polaris

With a sigh, the Twin Princess ignores the wolf-god, who is eager for confusion.

"Very well. I shall descend into my domains, too, and look after my people."

With a gracious wave from her hand, the Twilight Goddess dissapears, teleporting herself to the mortal world, flying many hundred feets above the village of her followers, remaining unseen.

For the moment, the Twin Princess only watches over her people.

26. - Top - End - #56

Ikassi

Turning to the gods that had not already left.

I believe that we will meet again soon...Some sooner than others

With that, she turned to the planet below and began her descent. She came to a desert, vast sloping dunes scorched by the sun where only the most resillient could survive.

This will do quite well.

She burrowed under the sand, creating a ressonating quake, telling her people the earth was alive.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Saradinus

Saradinus turned to his land. Watching over them intently, and guided them in the ways of magic.(Major godly Act.) A mystic way was created through Saradinus'es teachings. (Supernalism) The Supernal Magic gave the magicians the power to channel powers through life forces, foci(wands and staves) and their alignments.

Saradinus began instructing the entire nation personally, through an avatar of course. Foci such as staves, and the like were just now being produced. Meanwhile, the birth rates of the populace was astounding, and mothers gave birth without pain.

Last edited by ArlEammon; 2008-09-14 at 08:06 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Severus

Severus gives a polite nod to the remaining gods before summoning a tiny globe of darkness and then he was gone.

He reappears in the lightless tunnels that would be his domain. Apparently there were many cave collapses in the last war and the Underdark of this land was small. That would soon change but for now this small land would be good enough for his people.

He watched hidden as they went about building their underground city and contemplated his first move.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Cyrus

Cyrus ignores the others bickering; it didn't matter to him. As soon as he finished listening to Calix, he transported himself down to the planet. He found a mountainous area that contained several rich valleys. He nods to himself as he sees his people the ogres already building a city for themselves.

"Time to show them their new path."He wills an avatar into creation and sends it down to his people. There he shows them how to mine the earth of ores and gems and how to shape them into useful and beautiful objects. He also teaches them a few basic morals they should follow in order to stay in his good graces.

Cyrus smiles as he watches his ogre reproduce rapidly, the women often having multiple births. While his avatar stays busy teaching his people, Cyrus decides to go and see what the other gods are doing...
    Last edited by Ipphli; 2008-09-14 at 07:26 PM.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Polaris

The Twin Princess, after looking into her would-be worshippers, decides to act. She graciously waves her hand again, and a giant tablet made of marble appears in the sky, falling quickly in the village below. However, the Twin Princess makes sure that it falls without harming any villager. In the tablet it is written:

You are a blessed people, for the Moon and the Sun shine for you;
    the Twilight Goddess, the Twin Princess watches over you;
    you have a choice now, embrace my teachings and my light;
    honor Me but also the other Gods, and no harm shall come your way.
    But, if you choose to ignore Me, then you shall fall to infight;
    and no protection will be given to those who choose the godless gray.

Then, with the divine powers granted to her, the Twin Princess reshapes the region around the village, increasing it's value to the maximum. A small mountain from which gold and precious metals can be mined is raised next to the village, and a river starts running thought one of it's sides. The grasslands are made into fertile lands, and a nearby forest grows into a vast woodland.

Seeing that her work was good, the Twin Princess proceeds to raising a small temple in the foot of the mountain, next to the river, where her most devout worshippers should stand, and where the mystical tablet should be kept. From there she would instruct her worshippers. She proceeded to giving knowledge to various prophets, teaching her people various arts like smithing, woodcutting, masonry, and others. She also appointed, through a dream, a devout follower as the Twilight Child, who would be the ruler of her people.

Seeing that her work was mostly done for the moment, the Twin Princess blessed the people with her magic, increasing their birthrate and destinying them to succed in growing as a stable population. Then, she proceeded to the top of the world, to check on the other god's work.

Spoiler
    Show

Major Act of creation used in reshapping the land, two more left.