New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild: Bridgeport IC

Right. Let's go!

Durx hangs his mace from his belt and sets off.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

Matthew hands out a few more bags of coins.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You got a car, and you got a car, and you got a car!

Fin arrives looking for Shiela, and is handed his share of the loot. It is apparent that Fin wasn't expecting a reward because he had already left the guild. "Are you sure? he asks a few times. "Wow, so this is platinum coin, eh?". Matthew notes down some other shopping requests from other members and heads out towards the shipyards.

Fin:
    I gotta go and tell Jenny and the others! This could really mean security for all of them in case something happens to me. Or perhaps I could settle down and get an ordinary job. How much does it cost to buy a little shop somewhere? Are you coming Shiela? Perhaps we could stop off home on the way to your dad's place?

Father Eldon:
    Hm. 1000 doesn't go as far as you might think young Fin. Prices for shops in Bridgeport are pretty steep but perhaps in a smaller town like Flintby or Minik you might have more luck. By the way if you are heading off with Shiela perhaps you can also accompany Eodrick and Otto here to the Dwarves guild?
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-18 at 06:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273

Marko

"Quay 6, gentlemen. I'll be there shortly. I think I should accompany our esteemed treasurer to the shipyard," Marko said to Dravick, Durx, and anyone else departing with him. He then hurried after Matthew. Though he wouldn't be doing any of the negotiation himself, it would pay later to have his face and name known to the yard management.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm just wrapping up here in this thread. I'll post in the "Team Otter" thread shortly...

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zan had apparently blanked out halfway through everybody's instructions, although he did receive word that he was in team mongoose. Still, halfway through a drink of ale, he heard "platinum" and almost choked. Finishing up, he capped the flask and coughed.

"You... wait, h-how much money are we all getting?" He made sure to get himself ready to go, taking any money that may have been allotted to him before running upstairs to get the staff and the scythe.

I... wonder.... this scythe, or at least the blade itself, is important to me, but so is the staff. Could I.. well, I need a skilled craftsman to do that. Do we have one here? Once assembled, he took the whole rig downstairs.
    The universe's least interesting world is this one. Yay for imagination!
    Avatar by the amazing Shades of Gray

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

"Okay - lets hit the Dwarve's guild first then, huh? Balthazaar and Eodrick constantly chained together like that just won't due if we get into trouble, and you're both on different teams, too."
    Shiela suggests to Fin, Balthazaar and Eodrick.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, I know his real name is Otto. Shiela doesn't care.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

6. - Top - End - #276
    Orc in the Playground

Default Preparing for launch...

Dravick:

Dravick is excited to go out on another adventure, so he hurries to gather his things before heading out to the docks to leave on the Sampo. He looks through the items from the chest and decides that the Cloak of Resistance would be a big help for him, he pays the money out of his sack and then goes back upstairs. He takes his gear from his footlocker and leaves The remainder of the money from Jerris' chest in it's place, taking only a small portion of his funds with him on the journey. On his way to the docks, he stops at a shop and picks up several sheets of parchment, a quill, and a vial of ink. He stows these carefully in his pack and walks purposefully towards the docks.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is my last post in this thread, it just didn't seem to fit in the other one...
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

7. - Top - End - #277

Eodrick

Aye. Let's go. I'll be glad to be rid of this deadweight.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the delay. Busy couple days.

'm excited for the big IC reveal, Eodrick will be soo embarased.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

8. - Top - End - #278

Next morning.
    [hr]
    Zan:
    Spending his first few waking moments that day praying, Zan creakily stepped out of bed and put his robes on first, followed by the scythe. Checking to make sure all of its wrappings were in place, he then grabbed the staff which had been kept with him under the covers. Just before the group left for Flintby, Zan raised a finger questionable.

"Is anyb-body skilled, or knows such a person, that can modify w-weapons?"

Matthew:
    I can inquire about it for you and make the arrangements. I think that's part of the job of treasurer. This is about your staff, right?

9. - Top - End - #279

Default In short, yes. In long, yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaah.

Zan nodded with a smile. "Y-Yes, Matthew." He set the staff down on the table with a hint of reluctance, then began unbinding and unwrapping the scythe. "I n-need to see if you can... um... c-combine these. Well, um, not you personally, but if y-you can find out through anybody else."

10. - Top - End - #280

Matthew:
    Does the scythe head have sentimental value?

11. - Top - End - #281

Default Why are you asking me this!?

Zan froze, blinking for a few seconds. It would seem that this was a question he really did NOT want to answer, and he stammered heavily before words finally came out.
    "O-Of severe sentimental v-value. Let's s-say it's about as important, as... um.... a-as my flask." He had let that much out, but knew that if Matthew asked WHY it was so important, he wouldn't be able to tell him. It wouldn't make sense to him... he'd probably think I was sick.

"S-So can you do something?"

12. - Top - End - #282

Spoiler
    Show
    darn it I like green for Matthew now; got used to it

Matthew:
    Well I am not an expert but I would think it would be simple enough to re-shaft the scythe head. But leave them with me and I'll get back to you.

Matthew takes the staff and the scythe from Zan. There's a funny moment when Zan sort of doesn't let go for a second and Matthew has to tug a little.

13. - Top - End - #283

Default Is it bad if I feel naked?

Zan's arms tightly crossed over one another without his keepsake weapons, and one arm (still crossed) struggled to grab at the flask.

"Er.... do you have any other w-weapons for me that I can use when we head out t-today?"

14. - Top - End - #284

Matthew:
    Well you can borrow one out of the stores. They have a good collection of polearms down there to choose from. Various swords, maces and axes. You can borrow my rapier if you like. Then there's the stuff that came in the trunk. There's a magical dagger which does as much damage as a longsword.

Matthew does not say how he determined that fact.

He leads Zan down to have a look at the choice.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any PHB sword, pole arm, mace or hammer or axe except throwing axes. From the truck there were: "a short sword, three daggers"
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-11-10 at 09:44 AM.

15. - Top - End - #285

Default A distance keeper.

Zan nodded, apparently satisfied with the choices given to him. He had actually taken Matthew's statement of the dagger for granted, not really having the time to question him. Once presented before the stores, it doesn't take long for Zan to pick a glaive.

"Um... I l-like to have some decent reach, I w-would guess." He turned it about, looking at it with a decent amount of contentedness. "H-hopefully I won't have to use it long."

16. - Top - End - #286

Moving on....
    [hr]
    Conversation between Zan and Ana after the Mongoose team gets back from rescuing Sheila's dad. Ana had previously asked Zan what he knew about Jerris, the archmage and new guildmaster.
    [hr]
    Zan catches up with Ana as she is alone in the kitchen, cleaning.

Ana:
    (smiles)

17. - Top - End - #287

Default Two people of few words equals.... actually, a good conversation.

Later on, Zan finally found himself in the kitchen. He blinked, closing his eyes in an attempt to focus his mind toward the events of the day and what he and Ana were supposed to talk about, but the slight sounds that she was making opened his eyes. Watching her for a few seconds and seeing her smiling, Zan suddenly shot to attention and looked all about the kitchen for something to do.

"I-I... um.... h-hello!" Zan looked around nervously before his eyes fell once again on Ana. "I-I cam here to talk l-like I promised."

18. - Top - End - #288

Seeing Zan look about for something useful to do, Ana takes Zan's hands and sits him down on a chair. She goes back to cleaning some dishes with her back to Zan, and then turns her head but still cleaning slowly.

Ana:
    Zaara was wondering, ... well we both were.... but she noticed. You see-- there are not many mages as powerful as archmage -- that's what Zaara said. And I was only a child when he stopped me talking.

She stops working and turns properly.
    You know-- to stop me from doing really bad things. Because I wasn't trained. I was only eight years old.

and then talking faster,
    But guildmaster Jerris, said he had been in that prison for sixteen years. Zaara asked Matthew. But he couldn't have been. And then how do you capture an archmage to begin with? And Zaara said she would find out from books. But she couldn't. But it was him, I remember. A bit younger, but it was him. And he's such a nice man and teaching me everything but...

Do you think this is silly?

Ana looks into Zan's eyes for an answer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hope that was OK - more words than Ana's spoken before all put together.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2009-01-31 at 02:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289

Default Math may not be his strongest subject, but still...

Zan tried to hide the red in his face as he was sat down by her, watching her the whole time as long as she wasn't looking at him. When Ana looked into Zan's eyes at the end, though, he did his best to maintain eye contact... even if for only a few seconds.

"N...Nothing that you are telling me is silly.. Y-you have a good... a good reason for anything you say. I.. um, well.. I mean, of all people, you understand the value of words." He squirmed a bit, trying to think. "You s-said you were eight... and that he was imprisoned for s-sixteen.... six.... teen... A-Ana, just h-how old are you? I know that's a r-rude question to ask of you, I'm sorry!"

20. - Top - End - #290

Ana, looks down:
    I'm not yet twenty, sir.

21. - Top - End - #291

Default Feeling a little bit stupid, he is.

Zan felt as though he might have hurt her a little bit, also looking at the floor for a few seconds before facing her again, trying to put on a smile.

"I-It's Zan, Ana.. you don't have to call me 'sir'." He rubbed the back of his head, thinking. "But everyth-thing you've said h-... augh... has raised an interesting q-question in my mind." He bit his tongue, angry at his especially prolific stuttering at the moment. "S-sorry about that... anyway, if y-you were eight and Jerris sealed your v-voice, and he w-was then imprisoned for sixteen y-years..." Zan scratched his head. "B-But you're not twenty-four. I b-believe you, and that means either Archmage J-Jerris has made a mistake or h-he... um... he's... lying..." He said the last word in a suppressed tone. "Oh Boccob, I don't even want to think about that possibility right now. But as trustworthy as Guildmaster Jerris is, I do not believe Ana's memory to be faulty or her tongue ill...

22. - Top - End - #292

Ana's hand flies to her mouth.

Ana:
    I didn't mean to say a bad word! Not about Guildmaster Jerris! You mustn't tell anyone about this! I didn't mean it!

She slumps down in a chair. Takes a few breaths and looks the better for it. She looks more like the confident and self-assertive cook-come-maid she was before she became the talking apprentice mage with so much to learn and so many doubts about herself.

Ana:
    Hmmmph!
    Words!
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2009-02-07 at 07:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293

Default Doing all he can.

Zan looked even more nervous than before when he witnessed her reaction. At first, he felt the need to affirm that anything said between them would be safe and secure, but her latter reaction sent him so dizzy that he couldn't figure out which way was survival.

"... U-um..." He looked at his flask before just setting it down and turning his chair to face her. "I wouldn't d-do that, you know that. B-But I'm just as confused as y-you and don't know what to do."

On an interesting note equal to Ana's regaining confidence, Zan had seemed to have 'reverted' (it wasn't a large step) to the nerve-shot cleric that reacted so nervously to the confident cook-come-maid.

Idiot, idiot, idiot... there should be some sort of spell called 'Never Fail at Conversation'.

24. - Top - End - #294

Ana goes over to a cupboard, opens it and retrieves a book from a high shelf. Zan sees there are a few other books and a dagger and some other odd little objects and small pouches in there too. Ana returns with the book and opens it to a page with a large illustration on one side and a page of writing on the other. The picture is of the walled city of Lauden and the text seems to be talking about Lauden.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lauden is the name of a city and also of a state / country / territory around the city. In this second sense Zan could be considered "from Lauden", especially from the point of view of folks living in Bridgeport for whom Lauden is a far away country.

I'll leave you to decide if Zan has been to the city of Lauden itself but he might recognise the picture anyway, and also know some of the stuff written in the quoted passage below. That sort of detail is common knowledge in the North though less so in Bridgeport.

Ana's finger hovers over the text and stops below a piece that says, in the manner of a gazeteer or travelogue,
    "Lauden, the home of the archmagi, is a center of learning for the arcane arts. As with the other major crafts the arcanists are restricted to their own quarter of the city. "The secret city", or "Zards", is the name of the arcanists quarter. Zards is a genuine city within a city and access is limited. Zards even has its own distinctive police force, but most visitors will not visit more than the street of vendors near the gate and see the tall tower. The great bulk of Zards is below ground and few are allowed to enter."
    Ana turns the page and there is another illustration. This is the gate of Zards within the city of Lauden. The picture shows a couple of guardsmen with their distinctive horned hemlets. Ana's finger again alights on the page, this time pointing at a symbol of Boccob etched into the design of the gate.

25. - Top - End - #295

Default Wave of nostalgia

The first thing that had sunk in with the cleric is that Ana had fallen silent out of choice, which was fine... neither was exactly the greatest in the world with words thanks to having been rendered silent for years or a massive stuttering problem. The second thing that he may have caught onto is exactly what he was shown...

"That is... L-Lauden?" Zan said simply, running a finger gently along the image of the walls. He might have been there once or twice when he was young, Thaghor accompanying him, but he had forgotten its appearance until now. It was then that he saw the second page and...

"Th-that's.." He said quietly, pulling out his own holy symbol just to drive the point home to himself. He nodded, still rather blown away. "I n-never rememb-bered that being there... b-but..."

He thought about why she was showing this, and currently the images only concluded one thing: No matter the reason why Jerris was found in the tree, his archmage status and affiliation to Boccob meant he was from Lauden's inner sanctum, this 'Zards'. His closed eyes and nodding were the only thing that might have portrayed this to Ana.

26. - Top - End - #296

Ana nods too.
    The two have come to an accord.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's about it. Ana's asking Zan to check it out.

27. - Top - End - #297

Default Some part of me hurts, I don't know why.

Zan nodded and smiled with a slight blush, understanding.

"I'll... I'll g-go there when I can... I'm n-not sure what I'm looking for y-yet but any information I can find..." He swallowed, looking to his flask before just putting it into his robe shyly. Just as timidly, he fidgeted with his hands and spoke once more.

"A-Ana... th... th... thanks for everything you do. Th-thank you a lot."