New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild: Bridgeport IC

Durx takes a look at the bald man with the red markings.

He moves to sit between him and the new woman.

He whispers Doubt 'ell seeya past me.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Marko

Marko replied to Dragutin first in Gnomish, "<And you, Dragutin! The gods favor us indeed!>"

Switching back to common, he continued, "As Dravick and Vlax said, adventures often find us. I'm heading to Khorinis tomorrow for a look at the situation there, if you're interested. I think we could absolutely use a <marine>. I think that makes Durx, Dravick... hey, three D's so far, including you! And me, of course."

Spoiler
    Show
    The dictionary I use couldn't break out "Marine" in the American sense. Doc, any help available on your end?

3. - Top - End - #63

Kata and the Lost Hope start up tonight with a popular and light hearted local song instead of one of the tunes from their homeland. Soon there's a lot of good natured drunken singing along.

As most of the guys around the Adventurers' tables are paying close attention to the new pretty blond woman and her troubles they might miss the cloaked Dwarf and Balthazar moving towards the back door to the pub. Sandra and others might see that Balthazar is trying to shout something. He is suddenly tugged forward in a manner that suggests his hands might be restrained but its hard to see because the cloak is covering his hands. Balthazar is struggling but the other dwarf is making it look like helping a drunk friend. In the chaos of the pub the ruse appears to be working.

Bald guy with red mark on face is systematically moving through the crowd. He glances over towards the Adventurers' tables. Something in his expression - he's on to something? Perhaps he noticed a lot of people looking his way? He heads on over but not with any change of pace.

Fin, at the nearest end of the table, stands up and with Durx, a head taller again, blocks anyone's further passage. Ulysses is already standing but behind the table. The bald man stops. Has he seen the girl or just suspicious? It's clearly a confrontation but....

Bald guy, foreign accent:
    May I get by please?

Spoiler
    Show

You have overwhelming numbers to avoid fighting but if you want to start a fight that's fine too although I'll just describe what happens instead of making everyone roll. The following guild members are sitting around the two tables:

Victor, Dravick, Dragutin, Kate, Sandra, Zan, Marko, Althea, Vlax, Ulysses and Matthew. Also Fin is there (former member, current city guard), Ana and Balthazar of course, is being dragged out of the pub while the blond girl, who will eventually be introduced as "Amethyst" is skulking behind the adventurers.

That leaves Shiela, Berwin, Kyte, Jeff, Sharn, Omoris and Inagu not present. Some of those are just about to arrive, some back at the guildhouse. That's all the current members accounted for except the three officers Bruce, Eldon and Lankin, and Bil the former night watchman and maybe the wizard Jerris.

Oh and Ioth last seen near the Broken Mountain leading the rescued kobolds.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-09-27 at 12:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64

Marko

Clearing his throat and squeezing between Durx and Fin as things seemed to get tense, Marko spoke up, "I think, sir, there'll be plenty of room in a few minutes. Some of us are on our way to speak with the Doge, if you'll be so kind as to let us by."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Should I stay or should I go?

Zan was still next to Ana as he looked on at the bald man, though the red mark was clearly more of a distingushing feature. He looked nervously to Ana and tapped his closed fist, an unspoken question of "Should I?" being asked to her.

He would have talked, since in the past he was used to doing the more talking about of the two (which really isn't saying much, as Zan is rather quiet as it is), but the tense atmosphere forced him to keep communications silent. Still, he wasn't sure if we was supposed to be mixed up in this, which is why he quickly asked Ana her opinion.
    The universe's least interesting world is this one. Yay for imagination!
    Avatar by the amazing Shades of Gray

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

As the man with the red cross painted on his face began moving towards the table of adventurer's Dravick tried to recall if he'd ever heard about a group that used such markings.

Spoiler
    Show

Bardic Knowledge - (1d20+7)[21]

When he gets to the table and Fin and Durx stand to "greet" him Dravick can feel the tension begin to set in. We should save the fighting for the time when words have failed us.

He stands and tries to makes his way around Fin and Durx and says to the painted-face man (adding a bit of a false slur to his voice to act as if he were more drunk than he actually was), "I must say I've never seen a man paint his face quite like that before... wasssit sssupossed ta meeeen?"
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

7. - Top - End - #67

Spoiler
    Show
    Dravick thinks he recalls a story about a guy marked like this. They are hunters but in a quasi-police manner. Something to do with one of the Southern (human) Empires, but not the actual state police, more a smaller group's private police like a temple or something religious. The red mark is only put on when they are tracking their mark.

Bridgeport is a free town with respect to the South. Criminals sometimes make the long sea trip North to get away from the law.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Dragutin Tadijanovic, Paladin of Garl

<Blessed Garl, a little insight would be helpful..."> Muttering in gnomish, Dragutin opened his spirit to the auras of the painted man and his target.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Evil, first on the man, then on Amethyst

9. - Top - End - #69

Spoiler
    Show
    He's evil; she's not; several other people in the room are evil too and that's normal. He's more than just a bit evil though he has an aura like a paladin or a cleric or planar monster would.

The man ignores Dravick's question and Marko's statement. He is armed with a sword. That is not so unusual here by the docks and he is not reaching for his weapon. He's facing down Fin and Durx.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-09-27 at 06:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Forcing himself between the bald headed painted weird guy and his associates, Dragutin thrust out his gnomish chin pugnaciously. Hand on the hilt of his battleaxe, he proclaimed, "Garl doesn't like you, so back off, fella!" Drawing himself up to his full three feet and six inches, he glared at the other.

"<A little help, here, blessed Garl, against this evil one>," he added sotto voce gnomic, calling on his Aura of Courage.

11. - Top - End - #71

The confrontation is oddly formal and controlled. The rest of the pub seems to carry on singing.

Bald foreign guy:
    If I have offended somehow.... perhaps I make amends...
    He slowly takes out a purse and counts out twenty gold pieces into his hand.

Meanwhile Zan and Ana are nearer the bar. In answer to Zan's question Ana points out Balthazar being dragged off by the unknown dwarf with the large cloak.

12. - Top - End - #72

Default Oh, am I going to have to... ... reprimand a person?

Zan blinked, then mouthed a "thank you" to Ana and walked briskly towards the dwarf. Of course, both he and Ana could talk, but besides the stealth communication reasons... well, sometimes it was more comfortable to speak without words. That aside, Zan did not look happy as he powerwalked to where the dwarf was dragging Balthazar, and pointed his finger at the figure.

"You! W-where do you think you're going!?"

13. - Top - End - #73

The dwarf gives him a toothy grin. The type that says "I'm being polite, but only barely, and only because you might leave me be."

I think I'm taking a known murderer, Otto the Wifeslayer in to the Dwarven Guild to answer for his crimes..and to collect on my bounty as well of course. I want no trouble here, but I can provide my own if that's necessary.

At the last word, the dwarf's massive dog gets up to its feet and bays.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

14. - Top - End - #74

As for "Balthazar" he lifts his hands up and you can see that they are tied with rope and one arm is cuffed with a silver looking wrist band and a chain that seems to lead back to under the other dwarf's cloak.

Balthazar:
    I could have taken him in a fair fight. He surprised me. And I'm innocent of course. Oh what will everyone think of me now? I didn't kill her I swear.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Locals or anyone with decent knowledge: local would know about the Dwarves guild

15. - Top - End - #75

Eodrick.

If I believed that, I wouldn't have been tracking you for the last year Otto. You didn't even tell these good people, your supposed friends and allies, your real Dwarvish name did you?
    Currently playing as:

16. - Top - End - #76

Default Here's my word.

Zan straightened his back to stand at his full height. Even though he was relatively average or dimunitive at 5'11", he could still tower over both of the dwarves. His scythe was still attached to his back, but his face, which grew ever sterner, was showing the strength of his resolve. He was going to answer quickly in questioning of who this 'Otto' was, not knowing anybody by that name, but Eodrick's words caught him before he could. Taking a ragged sigh, Zan began talking... in Dwarven.

"I have known this man for a good time, a time that was long enough for me. Maybe you've caught a killer, maybe not... but you are not leaving this tavern before all of us have our say."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Firbolg in the Playground

Durx walks to the man and takes the gold.

Here's what I think of your offering.

Durx casts shatter on the gold pieces in his hand. He empties the sack of gold powder.

18. - Top - End - #78

Spoiler
    Show
    Woot! Very cool move

The shatter spell creates a loud noise that overwhelms even the singing. The room becomes completely quiet for a moment and people turn to see what the source of the weird grinding / cracking noise was.

The bald guy glares at the big half-orc in his way for a second and his left eye sort of twitches. The barman is shouting "Take it outside" but most people are interested in seeing a possible fight and a low murmur starts up.

Bald foreign guy:
    In my country such a consideration may be ... expected.
    My... mistake.

Fin:
    Well in this country we call it attempting to bribe an officer of the guard.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-09-28 at 09:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Marko

As the gold dust sifted down over his head, Marko's nose began to itch. Before he could even rub it, though, he sneezed explosively.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Amethyst

Trusting lot...that's for sure.

From her vantage point behind the large half-orc Amethyst began looking around frantically for a way out. The Gnome's sneeze gave her just the idea she needed to get rid of The Hound.

Using a trick that had gotten herself and her old troupe out of many situations before Amethyst conjured up the sounds of a chair crashing to the floor and people making general noise as if someone was pushing past them.

As soon as the sounds caught her adversaries attention she quickly followed up with a illusion of herself making her way through the doorway and slamming the door behind her (adding the correct sounds as needed).
    Characters I Play
    Spoiler
    Show
    Artax Masters - Heavy Metal Master
    Badhbh o'Byrne - Practically dead already
    Dartanian Korsikova - Wilderness man and friend to all pokemon.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Dragutin was slow to react to the insult offered, as he could not believe it had been made. Who would think that-that-that mere money could make Dragutin Tadijanovic look away from evil? He was trying, very hard, to respect the rules of polite society and avoid mayhem here in the bar, but some things were just unendurable! While the wheels in his brain slowly turned, Dragutin weighed his responsibility to preserving the good name of the Guild (by not starting a brawl) versus her responsibility to protecting his honor (by smacking Baldy silly with a smite hook of justice).

The shower of gold dust from Durx's hand restored Dragutin to his normal good humor. "Brilliant, comrade! I wish I could think that fast!" Continuing to glare at the strange bald foreign guy, he grumbled, "Now take your insults and yourself away from this table!"

The noises behind him caused him to glance back; that much commotion could be heralding more trouble.

22. - Top - End - #82

Victor

As Victor was too far back to really participate in either confrontation, had sat quietly through most of it, glancing back and forth between the girl and baldy. When she begins casting her spell, his muscles tense imperceptibly, and he raises an eyebrow at her. Still, it would not be good to say anything while the guild members' were obviously trying to protect her.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Feeling a bit outclassed in the muscles department, Dravick could nonetheless help himself when Marko ended up coated in gold dust. "OH HO! And this is how the tale of the guilded gnome will begin!" He cheered loudly with a laugh. Then he took a step away from the ugly bald guy trying to make himself less of a target.
    Last edited by Thymin; 2008-09-29 at 03:35 PM.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:

24. - Top - End - #84

The man turns to follow carefully the image of Amethyst running to the door.

Bald foreign guy:
    You may come to regret helping her.

He shakes out some bits of gold coin that have fallen on him and takes off, towards the same door (the front door) apparently in pursuit. Fin makes a snort.

Fin:
    Did he really fall for that trick?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fin made his save too. Those who could see Amethyst when she cast the spell don't need to make a save.

Meanwhile now that the music and singing have stopped Balthazar makes another attempt to shout out,

Balthazar:
    Can I get some help here!?

Of course Zan and Ana are already there, in their own stand-off and now that the other potential fight has proven to be a bust, people are paying attention to the scene with the two dwarves chained to each other, although it doesn't seem to have the same potential for violence yet. Actually there's something quite funny about the way Balthazar is complaining about his circumstances. A couple of people start to smirk.

Balthazar:
    This is NOT funny.

25. - Top - End - #85

Eodrick

Eodrick moves out of the way of the illusory Amethyst.

No, it isn't, there's nothing funny about murder. Now come with me!

Eodrick begins walking towards the door, so far ignoring the other potential combatants.

Spoiler
    Show

Would it be safe to assume that Eodrick confiscated Otto/Balthazar's spell pouch? He is a known wizard, and a known conjurer--and lover of the Grease spell especially.
    Currently playing as:

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looking at what happened and thought the caster was foolish to turn down an appology, making a note to make a comment later about it. She was keeping her eye on the bald man and didn't see Amethyst casting the spell. She turns to the nose to see Amethyst running away, then looks around the table to see Amethyst close by. She blinks doing a double take at the dual Amethysts and looks at the one close by You're twin? then with the loud shouting for help she looks over seeing Zan dealing with another problem Is this a normal day around here? getting ready to block the door for two problems if one tries to come back in.
    Last edited by Akyana; 2008-09-29 at 08:06 PM.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Relieved to see the bald guy go, Dravick's attention is turned to Zan, Ana, Balthazar and the other dwarf. He hops onto the nearest table and begins to play his lute and sing a song about Balthazar's great deeds as a member of the guild, exaggerating or flat-out making up details as he sings. His goal is to fascinate the other dwarf. As he sings he makes his way across the table tops toward the dwarf in a non-threatening and almost jester-like manner.

Spoiler
    Show

Eodrick:
    Will save vs. DCPerform - (1d20+11)[30] to avoid being fascinated for three rounds.
    Last edited by Thymin; 2008-09-29 at 07:15 PM.

Current Characters:

28. - Top - End - #88

Eodrick looks at the bard..

you...spoony..bard....pretty colors.

Spoiler
    Show

Not even going to try rolling for that one.
    Nice move!
    Currently playing as:

29. - Top - End - #89

Spoiler
    Show
    I think with time a factor just tying Balthazar / Otto's hands would have been enough. ie he still has his pouch. Generally you'd gag a wizard to be on the safe side but Eodrick's information would be that Otto isn't powerful enough to have any nasty spells that don't require his hands free. Also there was a better chance of getting away unobserved through the noise of the song if Otto had looked like a drunk friend -- ie not gagged.

Balthazar / Otto:
    Quick! Untie me before it wears off. Get this thing off me!

Otto lifts his tied hands up. Untying him looks to be easy enough but there's no obvious keyhole or mechanical part to the cuff around his wrist. The cuff looks like silver and the chain leads under the cloak of the other dwarf.

30. - Top - End - #90

Default Threats.... you know I'm not good with those, right?

Zan breathed sharply, sounding more like a hiss, when Eodrick had headed for the door. He bolted for it, managing a quick response to Sandra's question in the form of "No, actually, th-this is a slow day!" Then, in dwarven once more, he struggled for a moment to raise his voice towards Eodrick.

"Don't make me hurt you! In the name of Boccob, I'll have you on the floor!" This threat was rendered obselete, however, by the 'spoony bard's' tune that enraptured Eodrick.

"S-Sandra, hold the other d-dwarf, I'll see if I can take care of the c-cuffs!" He said hastily in common, and moved back to Balthazar, observing the cuffs.
    Last edited by MK Kilmarnock; 2008-09-30 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Roll blew up. Taking roll to OoC.