New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default I ought to be brave.

Zan rolled his eyes. "In that c-case... let us see what our, um, dare I say it, 'spoony' t-t-taleteller is up to." Wincing at the joke that was grating by now, the cleric maneuvered through the crowed at a gentle pace in order to approach Dravick at the base of the tree.
    The universe's least interesting world is this one. Yay for imagination!
    Avatar by the amazing Shades of Gray

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild: Bridgeport IC

Marko

Marko fished in his pocket, and withdrew a sewing needle. Frowning at it, he said, "Well, I can try, but it's been a long time, and I was never very good at it. We may have to smash this beautiful lock."

Spoiler
    Show
    Marko is taking 20 to work on the lock. He doesn't have thieves' tools, but does have a sewing needle and some sailor's tools (i.e. other heavy duty needles) to work with. Taking 20, his check result would only be 24, assuming the above can overcome the penalty for "no tools". If it isn't sufficient, his check is only 22.

3. - Top - End - #183

Default Inside the Old Tower

Inside the Anti-Magic cell of the Old Tower.

Marko quickly sees that this lock is beyond his skills. It's probably worth at least 100 gp just for the mechanism, and then the material would make it surely 200 or even 300. Smashing open the trunk itself would probably be easier than the lock but then of course the contents might be damaged...
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-11 at 07:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Enjoying his telling of the (mostly) true tale of the tree, Dravick notices Zan and Victor arrive, and as Zan starts heading up to the front of the group he continues his oration.

"And now my friends, you will get to meet a couple of very special people who helped to bring forth this tree from the firmament of the earth. One, a champion of Bridgeport who helped to stand up against the Evil Argos, and the other, the instrument of the gods themselves who summoned the tree. Why don't you two both come on up here and take a bow?"
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Dragutin Tadijanovic, Paladin of Garl

"Hmm. Well, this is not my skill, you know, but maybe we could augur some holes in the wood and just take the lock plate off? Anybody got a crowbar?"

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

"I'm pretty sure I could just break it. Or at least just rip the lock itself off," Althea offered. She shrugged a little at the thought, somewhat unsure as she said it. She looked at the others, hoping someone else would have another idea.

((OOC: Unless someone else has a better plan, I'm reasonably certain Althea could take of just pulling the lock off. Though pull is a bit too tame for what would happen.))
    Sneak is the artist of my Avatar.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra nods a little Well, I joined when I was young for training. I only fought for over a year. Most of it was just learning how to fight and other things. she looks over at him Never thought I would be going into a battle like this so soon again. I was allowed to leave not to long ago.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

8. - Top - End - #188

Default I'm going to resist lopping your legs off.

Zan had gotten up to the front of the crowd and was about to give Dravick a stern reprimanding when the oration took a quick turn to acknowledge both him and Victor. His face immediately flushed red, and he peeked over his shoulder to look at the crowd momentarily. Hoping that they weren't staring at him too much, Zan lept up to the root that Dravick was on, doing his best not to lose his "angry" face.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm thinking I don't have to make a jump check, because I don't think Dravick did... I believe.

W-what exactly do you think you're doing?" Zan sighed. "Yes, s-servant of a god. But.... .... ... D-Dravick, come on!!!"

9. - Top - End - #189

Marko

Marko dug around in his pouch a bit more, looking for a hammer and chisel with which to remove the lock plate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wooden ships just might mean a chisel is in that sailor's tool kit, after all...

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

"I think we're embarrassing him everyone. He wants me to say that, while it is true that he is a man of the cloth, he thinks that instrument of the gods, is a bit too strong for his role in these events, so please forgive my mis-speak, and let me re-introduce. Zan, wielder of the mighty, ancient staff of tree bringing."
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:

11. - Top - End - #191
    Firbolg in the Playground

Too ba' I used m'shatter spell earlier today.

OOC: If I had my pearl of Power I could recover that spell.

12. - Top - End - #192

Eodrick

The dwarf is still somewhat stunned by the narration.

Spoiler
    Show

Are we going to be splitting into two teams? Seperate threads might keep things a little easier to track.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

13. - Top - End - #193

Spoiler
    Show
    This thread is for the non-combat stuff so it doesn't matter so much about groups and I don't mind people being split -- actually into 3 groups right now. Some at the Guikd HQ, some inside the Old Tower and some outside it by the Tree.

If I had my pearl of Power I could recover that spell.
    Chicken and egg sort of situation.

Berwin:
    No good. The shatter spell wouldn't effect the lock while its sitting in the anti-magic cell, and if we tried it outside the anti-magic we might trigger the magical trap.

14. - Top - End - #194

Default Fine.... that'll do, Bard.

Zan sighed and bent forward, seeming defeated.

"That's... um.... better, I guess..." Zan sighed and straightened back up. "Int-tense flattery aside, we had come to check up on everbody else.... y-you know, see if you needed help." He held the staff in his hands, sometimes switching between which hand actually held it, before realizing that Dravick was referring to it. As soon as the reference had finally clicked, he bit his tongue and shifted his eyes between Dravick and the crowd.

15. - Top - End - #195

Victor

Victor moves forward as indicated, and bows just on cue. "And to get out of the guildhouse for a bit of fresh air."

16. - Top - End - #196

Inside the Anti-Magic cell of the Old Tower.

Marko finds a chisel. Upon examination of the trunk (which is all made of steel -- no wooden parts) the weakest link appears to be the steel lock plate as Marko surmised. Althea figures she should be able to smash/bend the one inch think steel enough to get the padlock off, still locked but with the expensive lock mechanism intact.
    Spoiler
    Show
    padlock's lock = DC40 vs OpenLock ("Amazing" level lock)
    padlock's break/smash = DC28 vs Strength check
    padlock's HP = 30 hp with Hardness 15 (standard for Mithral)

Steel trunk's lock plate "eyes":
    break/smash = DC26 vs Str check
    HP = 30, Hardness = 10 (standard for steel).

The "eyes" are hard to hit with a weapon because of the cunning way they are covered. You could use something like a chisel and hammer but that would do only 1d6 + str bonus. You can hit the padlock itself with any weapon. You can use a lever like a crowbar to help strength break the padlock (+2 circumstance bonus) but not the "eyes".

Finally you can try to smash open the trunk. It's hardness is 10 (steel) and it has a mere 10 hp so that's certainly the easiest way in but would probably break a bunch of stuff inside.

Remember that you can't use magic to help because you need to have the trunk in the anti-magic room.

The lid of the trunk is flat and there are no hinges visible. There are two handles on the ends and one on the lid.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-11 at 07:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

At the Tree.

When Dravick points out Zan as the source of the Tree and the "instrument of the gods" a crowd gathers around him.

Long-beard fanatic guy:
    This guy? This stuttering fool is the one? Pah!

Scruffy Guy:
    He doesn't look much like a prophet.

Zan feels the staff move in his hands slightly, jerking a little bit... or pulling. It feels powerful again somehow. Zan senses the power of fear within it as it was before the Tree was called forth. It's on tip of his tongue, the word to speak. Its as if the staff itself wants to be used. It's like the staff itself is angry.

Spoiler
    Show
    When Zan first picked up the staff it communicated the command words for a fear function and a magic missile function; words Zan still knows.

[hr]
    Back at the Guild HQ, Stables:

Sandra and Matthew are talking somewhat when a Giant Owl lands in the back yard next to the stables. It appears from nowhere in a dive and lands almost without a sound. It's about ten feet tall. Matthew turns when he sees that Sandra has seen something behind him. A man in leather armor dismounts quickly from the owl and rushes into the guild house through the kitchen door. This is the first time either have seen a giant owl, although they've heard stories of how the Cougars used them to fly to the Broken Mountain.

Giant Owl:
    {incomprehsible cawwing}
    Can either of you good humans adjust this saddle strap for me?

It's eyes are huge and it smells of damp feathers. The voice is strained but unmistakably speaking common.
    [OOC: yes, another talking bird]
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-11 at 10:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198

Default Fin and Shiela check out her dad's shop.

At the Tailor's shop.

Fin and Shiela head out to Shiela's dad's shop on Weaver Street. It's almost midnight and few are about. Fin remarks that Weaver Street is on his beat now that he's a city guard, and he checks in at the shop daily in case Shiela's dad comes back but nothing so far. They head up the steps to the shop (it's on the second floor).
    Spoiler
    Show
    ie the one above ground floor

Fin:
    Wait. Something doesn't seem quite right.

The shop's door at the top of the steps is closed but it has been damaged.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

In response to the disbelief of the scruffy men, Dravick continues, "Of COURSE he is the servant of the gods. Would the gods choose a pompous servant like the person he was sent to smite? Now please, pay him some respect and give him some room."

Current Characters:

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

"Just looks like some damage, far as I can tell,"
    Shiela says, looking over the door quickly.
    She had changed into her scale mail before setting out, and determined quickly that wearing a shield would make getting in difficult in with a sword in her other hand.
    So, with scimitar in one hand, Shiela tested the door to the shop.
    If unlocked, she will give the door a gentle shove open.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

21. - Top - End - #201

Default Fin and Shiela check out her dad's shop.

At the Tailor's shop

It looks like someone has inexpertly broken in. The lock looks damaged and loose such that it would not prevent the door being opened now. Shiela knows there is also a bolt on the inside of the door but of course with nobody inside the shop the bolt would not have been drawn closed if a thief or other miscreant had tried to break in. The lock was a cheap one and would have been easy to pick. An expensive one would just have drawn attention and usually there was always someone at home, especially at night.

Shiela tries the door but finds it stuck. It feels like the bolt is drawn. Fin takes his queue from Shiela and prepares for trouble. Although he has a sword now as part of the standard equipment of the city guard, he doesn't bother to draw it. As an accomplished pugilist, he doesn't need to.

As is usual for homes at this time of night the windows to the shop are shuttered closed. Again as is usual for Weaver Street the shop has access to a flat roof for extra space (basically a 3rd floor) through a trap door which Shiela knows would have been left bolted from the inside.

22. - Top - End - #202

Default Ever be so scared you almost wet yourself?

Zan shivered, barely hearing Dravick... in fact, he attempted to speak over him.

Oh Boccob... D-Dravick!" Zan's arms shook as he grasped the staff in both hands, staring at it before squinting his eyes shut.

Something is horribly wrong. I believed this was just an ordinary piece of wood, but now... could some life be left in this staff now that I'm practically standing on the tree...

Zan looked out to the crowd, feeling.... a bit odd. It wasn't just fear that he felt from the staff.... it was power. He wasn't sure why, but it made him feel nice as he stood there with it in his hand, possessing more confidence. However, he was trying to resist the 'thoughts' of the staff, its desire to display its functions. With this, he looked over the crowed again, grinning slightly.

"Though he added his own prose to it, what my bardic companion speaks to you is, as you would expect, no exact fabrication. With the knowledge of a trusted druid to assist me, it was with my body and this staff that...", Zan brought his hand to the tree behind him, "This was created."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+9)[21]

23. - Top - End - #203

Marko

After several experimental blows with the hammer and chisel, Marko shook his head. Turning to Althea, he suggested, "Well, I think it's up to you, Althea. I recommend focusing on the lock plate. It seems to be the weakest point, though it's tougher than my tools."

24. - Top - End - #204

At the Tree.

Long-beard fanatic guy:
    No way the gods would have chosen this goofy twit and his little stick. He's an imposter! Keep the faith lads. That one there's got a golden tongue and no mistake, but his stuttering pal just said it: the story wasn't true. They're trying to make fools of us!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Come over to the dark side Zan!

The other men in the group look less certain.

Zan can feel thoughts in his head. This guy's a jerk. Teach him a lesson. Call me a fool will you? You need to learn some respect false prophet! You won't lead these people astray again! The command words are on the tip of Zan's tongue.

[hr]
    Inside the Anti-magic cell in the Old Tower:

Berwin:
    Go ahead Althea. Try to rip it off or whatever you do. Jerris said we might have to bust it up a bit. He said the stuff he has inside is worth a lot more.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DC 26 strength roll
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-12 at 09:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

"Stand back a little, please," she asked oddly meekly given what she was about to do.

Althea nodded, setting down some of her equipment so it wouldn't get in her way. She grips the padlock with both of her hands, testing the strength gingerly. It didn't seem that hard to break. Of course, she always did have something of a destructive rage.

Spoiler
    Show

6 tries, 'ere we go!

(1d20+9)[18]
    (1d20+9)[13]
    (1d20+9)[14]
    (1d20+9)[14]
    (1d20+9)[10]
    (1d20+9)[12]

Ow. Ow ow ow ow ow. Ow.

Thank god I got these rolls out of the way at least.
    Last edited by ArtifexFelicis; 2008-10-12 at 10:12 PM.
    Sneak is the artist of my Avatar.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra looks and sees the owl land. She watches the rider run into the hall then turns back to the owl. She blinks a little not believing that it just spoke. She then turns to Matthew I'm not that familiar with avian saddles
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Noticing quickly that there is really only person who is causing trouble Dravick decides to try another trick he picked up while barding around. He continues his song, but as he launches into a new and somewhat droning verse he begins to exhort the Long-beard fanatic guy to rethink his position and to see the truth for what it is, he accompanies his exhortations with confusing hand gestures.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Hypnotism (Save DC = 14) on Long-Beard and suggesting that he take us more seriously. Then maybe the others will come back around.

Current Characters:

28. - Top - End - #208

In anti-magic cell in Old Tower:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Althea take a DC 15 Fort check or dies of embarrassment?

Hm. Well I know some of you wanted to set sail tomorrow bright and early. Althea can rage again after some sleep. Or you could just beat the padlock to a merry pulp with a big old sword (automatically succeeds). Note: you will need to re-sharpen the blade afterwards or it's at -1 damage. Sandra has a whetstone she's always using. Or use a blunt or pointy weapon not an edged one. Note: if you try to use the sword or other edged weapon to bust down larger items like doors or walls it will only do half damage before any hardness is subtracted. Pickaxe or hammer works far better.

Or does anyone want to "flexibly commandeer" some acid from a shop without asking the shopkeeper ahead of time?

On behalf of the padlock I would just like to say,
    "Don't smash meee I'm so shiny and Mithral-y."

Inagu:
    Hmmmmmmmmmm. Was that the warm-up?

29. - Top - End - #209

Marko

Marko frowned glumly as the chest defeated even Althea's rather more formidable attempts. "If we only had a hacksaw, or maybe some acid," he said more to himself, but audibly nonetheless.

30. - Top - End - #210

Default Back at the HQ

Guild HQ, back garden:

Sandra, to Matthew:
    I'm not that familiar with avian saddles

Matthew, to Sandra:
    You th-th-think I am? P-p-p'rhaps we could ask the man who just ran inside?

Ten foot tall owl with huge sharp looking talons and beak, eyes the size of dinner plates:
    My human is a bit of an idiot and always in a big hurry or I'd've told him.

Fiona:
    It's a talking bird!

Fiona (Matthew's raven familiar) ducks behind Matthew in fear from the super huge sized predator bird and is transmitting her emotions pretty broadly to Matthew through his empathic link.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-12 at 11:12 PM.