New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: 122 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 110

Assuming the units in front of Tool are illusions created by Jack:

If "a wise man gets more use from his enemies" then Jack must be a really wise man using images of his enemies to pursuade Tool to head back, rather than saying "Lord Stanley the Tool, Warlord Hamster bids you to return to Gobwin Knob."

Assuming also that Jack is quite sane:

As we learned from Order of the Stick, whether it be a populace or a person, pretending to be insane, and being in a good position, allows you to control the person(s) you wish to, without making yourself a target.
    Last edited by Daigotsu Kyosei; 2008-09-20 at 08:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

personally I think they are allowed to ambush, set up anything they want within the confines of the hex. They control it, not the ENEMY ENTERING INTO IT.

So unless you know exactly where the imaginary hexlines are at you won't be able to see much sort of like when your driving a car for example. You can see far away but you won't see the details until they are much closer; (or even sometimes too late in case of accidents) therefore Stanley just pulled the fool's move by rushing in and not looking into the hex like Jillian & the Archons did to defeat the lake dragons. He also did an Elvis impersonation of Elvis's favorite song "Only Fools Rush In" a divine song from the singluar Titan himself.
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder

3. - Top - End - #213
    Halfling in the Playground

I just re-read page 65, and I now think I've been taking "punching through" the wrong way. I was thinking it implied some way for Stanley to pass through without a full-fledged battle to the death. But when Jillian discussed "punching through" a dragon hex the conversation was...

"By passing through the strong hex."

"Ha! No. By punching through the strong hex.

"I... see."

"C'mon, it'll be fun. You'll level."

So I think I was wrong, I think this has to be a major battle before Stanley can pass this hex.
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss."
    -RAH

4. - Top - End - #214
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saladman View Post
    I just re-read page 65, and I now think I've been taking "punching through" the wrong way. I was thinking it implied some way for Stanley to pass through without a full-fledged battle to the death. But when Jillian discussed "punching through" a dragon hex the conversation was...

"By passing through the strong hex."

"Ha! No. By punching through the strong hex.

"I... see."

"C'mon, it'll be fun. You'll level."

So I think I was wrong, I think this has to be a major battle before Stanley can pass this hex.
    The implication I get is that it means passing through an enemy-held hex with a battle, but a battle that stops short of croaking/capturing every last unit on one side.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

We play miniatures campaigns in my store on a regular basis. You move army markers around on a strategic map, controlling territories and cities on the hex map. When armes run into each other on the strategic map, the players get to play a game resolving that battle. Sometimes the particular campaign requires armies that meet at specific hexes to play a particular scenario, mostly as an excuse to generate interesting tactical situations. (After a while, "line 'em up, charge to the middle and kill everything you can" gets stale.)

Who's to say that in Erfworld, entering that mountain pass against a defender, you don't play an ambush scenario?
    Dibs on his dice.