Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 73

Thread: Freedom Thread

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Freedom Thread

    The cell you sit in is damp and dark. You've been there for three days, eating almost no food. The cell is only about six square feet, and the jail has been carved from stone tunnels. Around you are the other men and women on death row. You know you're next. You hear the approaching footsteps of the guards, and something inside of you tells you that it's the last time. The hanging was scheduled for today, and you realize that that means now.

    The men approach you, and open the cell doors. In front of you stand six guards. They rush you, and before you have a chance to do anything, your hands and feet are chained, and you're blindfolded. Down the long tunnel, up multiple flights of stairs, and sunlight hits your face. You can see it through the thick cloth. They lead you up some stair, your feet ringing against the wooden platform, and tear off your blindfold. You stand in the middle of a courtyard, surrounded by the six men that took you there.

    You size up the situation. To an outsider, it seems grim, you're weak, outnumbered, and surrounded, and moments away from hanging. To you, it seems quite fine. You see the sharp flashes of a mirror from the other side of the courtyard. "On your mark" the coded message read. The "mark" was a nod of the head.

    There were four men, each old companions of yours. They watched you like a hawk, waiting for the signal.

    Sizing up the situation: You are at half health, -4 strength and are standing on a platform. Two guards flank you, while the rest are surrounding twenty feet away. At any moment you can give the signal, and the trusty bows of your allies will unleash death upon your captors. They're about 70ft away, hiding.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    Damn. Faillen thinks to himself. Looks like it's either dept, or I'm in their pocket for however long... I don't think I owe any of them money, at least....

    "Mind for a cup of stout? Or does your laws not provide me a last request. If we're gonna do this, I might have something in my stomach, as well. And don't give me the cheap stuff, I'm about to die. you can spare the gold."


    Faillen smiles pretending to be at there mercy. His hope is that they'll grant his request, and one will go off to do it. However, then he has a conundrum - If they do, should he signal the attack while there's only 5 of them, or hold off and see if they undo the chains on his wrists so he can hold the cup.

    Well, he could use the drink...

    He surveys the area, looking for where the crowd is. He feels at the chains on his wrists, and wonders if he'll be able to slip them once the arrows fly.

    He wonders where he'll be able to find Katars to pay these guys back if they escape.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    OOC: A last request.... smart!



    Anyway, one guard looks at the other and leaves back through a different door. This would be a good time to say that the couryard is about 700ft north to south x 200ft east to west. There are various door running along the east and west walls, and large gates the north and south end. On top of the walls is a catwalk area, from where enemies could rain down arrows on you.

    Seven on five with more in the bush. Your call.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    "You should have gone, silly. He'll likely survive because of that. See, that's called mercy! Now, I offer you surrender. Unchain me, hold your arms back, and you'll live to see your wife and children. Otherwise, you will die this day. What's it going to be? You have... 10 seconds to answer."

    Faillen starts counting, blinking to signify to the guard he has eye contact with how much time had passed.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    The guards laugh and and the one behind you pushes you to the ground and spits on you.

    He looks up to the other guards and announces, in a quite entertaining tone:

    "Well, my friends, we have been beaten! This man here, even though we have chained him up, and he's moments from the gallows has gone and told me that we should surrender! I do love my wife and kids!" He jeers, and the other guards laugh.

    He looks down at you, in a personal way, his eyes locking in with yours. He bends down and sneers at you.

    "Who do you think you are?" He asks, almost silently.

    He continued, "You're path-" but never finished the sentance, as a long shaft of wood with attachments of metal and feather at both sides, respectively, pierced his neck. He falls to the ground next to you, screaming for mercy from as many gods as his tongue would let him. The arrow would make him bleed to death, slowly and painfully.


    Your move.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    "I warned you, idiot."

    Faillen reaches out, and pulls the dead guards blade out of it's sheath. Not his favored weapon, but he knows how to use it, he's sure. The pointy end goes in who he wants to kill. He and the same time, he rises to his feat, shifts his body around, and swings the blade (gripped in both hands, for good measure), at the guard who knocked him down.

    "I'm Faillen D'arturis, fool, the name your children will know as the man who sliced their fathers throat!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking a bit of liberty, I believe, since you've described a situation that the PHB doesn't quite seem to cover (go figure.) I figure grabbing the blade and standing could count as the same move action, as he kinda needs the blade to stand up with, due to the chains. The shout is him using Hunter's Quarry on the guard behind him, and the attack is a basic melee attack (at a -2 penalty, due to being Restrained)

    Assuming the blade was a Longsword, as that's the tradition steriotypical guard weapon. Feel free to correct me or the roll if it's not (if it even hits. I'm hope the Gods of Awesome will help me out.)

    Attack - (1d20+7)[25] vs AC, (2d8+3)[7][1](11) damage on a hit (the second die being Hunter's Quarry.)
    Last edited by JackMage666; 2008-09-20 at 03:15 AM.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    After a few moments of battle, all is silent. Your men quickly grab keys and unchain you, and equip you with your weapons of choice (which would be?).

    The leader of them, a good friend of yours named Robin Waterwood steps up to you.

    "We came in through the front gate. Surprisingly easy to kill the guards. They were untrained, and we took them silently with great speed. We timed it so that the changing of the guard will be far into the future, so the bodies won't be found for some time, though I worry about the one who was sent to bring you stout." He said.

    "Three of my men will escort you out. I will kill the final guard." He continued.

    At that moment, there was a indistinguishable yell from the other side of the courtyard. You turn to find a young guard staring at the bodies.

    He sprints to the man, and with a flash of his blade, silences him, but his scream lives on. Another guard comes to see what had happens, and then yells a more distinguishable yell of "HE ESCAPED!"

    Your move.



    Now is a good time to give some background. Your name is Isac Nibleson. You worked tightly with the Hidden Blade guild, who was an ally of the Turquoise Moon, another guild of thieves. Waterwood is a high official of the Turquoise Moon, and you know him on a personal basis. What you don't know is why they came to save your life. Usually, when things like this happen, the guild leaves the guards to their own devices. It's too risky to get involved, much less in the affairs of another guild.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    Spoiler
    Show
    Weapons of choice are two Katars. If you only want to give me one for now, I can pick up a blade from the guards and make due til I can get the other. Otherwise, things're going great!

    Also, retroactively change all the names, to match. I assume the rest of the backstory still works, after all, a rose by any other name...


    Isac takes the Katars and throws them over his shoulders, their holsters fall on his back, lining the blades themselves up with his shoulder blades.

    "We should be going. I'm sure we could take the forces, but let's not makes you all wanted as I am."

    He begins to head towards the exits, hands ready to grab his weapons at the sight of trouble.

    "Your guild or mine?"

    "Or are we operating under someone elses orders?"
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    They gave you both weapons you wanted.

    Anyway, he responds.

    "There was a need for you. Our master requested your presence." He responds.

    The four of you run down to the main gate of the courtyard. Guards are already assembling. By the time you arrive, five block your path, armed with spears and large shields. You could fall back and spend the time to kill them with your bows, or rush in with your blades. Your call.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    Isac draws his blades.

    "If you shoot them, I'll slay any that step forward to assault you."

    He boldly stands there, the heals of his feat look ready to leap at any enemy that approaches.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[25] Initiative, if needed. Using the initial round to ready and action to charge if an enemy comes within 15 ft of me, if I can do so.
    Last edited by JackMage666; 2008-09-20 at 02:52 PM.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    Your men fall back and release a volley of arrows. Two men drop, and the other charge. Roll attack.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[23], plus an additional 1 if I manage to charge (and a -1 AC in that case, too). (1d6+5)[8] Damage on a hit.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    With a quick stab, you kill one of the men charging at you, and duck back to dodge to recruits tripping over each other.


    After a few more moments of battle, you've killed the lot.

    You and the men charge up to five horses waiting by the gate. You turn back to find Robin surrounded by soldiers. He looks like he's fighting well, but you don't know if he could make it out.



    Right now I'm doing a little bit of a prelude, an introduction. I'm staying away from dice rolls, and just playing by ear. It won't be the same next encounter.
    Last edited by Silence; 2008-09-20 at 03:23 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    Friends among thieves are a rare thing to find. Isac turns to go help Robin, as he can't leave the few he has behind.

    Besides, he owes him now.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, cool on the die rolls, I'll hold off on 'em
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    About 15 men have swarmed into the courtyard, and are surrounding Waterwood. He turns to see you, and upon confirming your advance, tackles through the men between you and him. A steel blade pierces his ribs, and he stumbles, almost falling. The wound is deep; very deep.

    He stumbles towards you, screaming "Run!"

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    Isac keeps advancing towards him. He's not going to be in the pocket of the Turquoise Moon because he was responsible for the death of one of their best men. He intends to grab Robin as soon as he can, and run out, using his free hand and Katar to defend himself.

    "Bowmen, grant me cover!"

    He advances, not wanting his friend to die.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    As you approach him, so do the enemies. He stumbles and falls to the ground, letting out a horse yell of pain. The wound is bleeding badly, and if it wasn't treated soon, could lead to problems.

    You grab him off the ground, but as you do, a man piledrives you. Instinctively, you spin around, landing on top of him. Your hand reaches for your belt, to the dagger that isn't there. Again, you could spend the time to incapacitate him, or simply take your friend and run. Your move.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    He's come too far to give up now. Isac grabs his friend and run, drawing and using a Katar in of left hand to fend off guards and blows, while using his right arm and the majority of his body to support Robin.

    "It's a good thing I'm not like you sneak-theifs..." He thinks "...and actually trained my muscles rather than my fingers."
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    As you run, a volley of arrows passes you, thinning the ranks behind you. The guards veer off, hiding behind cover; they were sitting ducks for the archers when they were chasing you.

    You're able to get to the horses and escape. You gallop down the road some time before you're addressed by Robin.

    "They'll chase us. I'm surprised that they haven't come after us already. The horses are trained to continue down the path. Here, we shall dismount and move through the forest towards Stoneforge. It's only about a day's journey away. But now, I fear, the forest has become a dangerous place. In the three years that you were gone, things have changed. But now isn't the time to discuss this." He says.

    He dismounts and sends the horses off, and the five of you make your way into the forest.
    Last edited by Silence; 2008-10-07 at 04:41 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    Isac stays by Robin side, as a support, as we don't exactly have any crutches.

    "So, what's the deal here? I know I can't get saved from execution without being in someone pocket big time... Or did I piss someone off and they wanted to do it personally, not let the guards do it?"

    (Sorry, my computer got fried, so I had to get a new one. Hence my absense)
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    It's cool. It happens to all of us. Good to have you back.

    It's good to mention that at some point in the process, he was bandaged. Also good to mention that I'll be changing the HP healing system to something more realistic.

    Anyway, he responds. "Our master needed you. He wouldn't provide details."

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    "Great..."
    (Mind explaining the new HP system? Might be helpful if I know it....)
    Last edited by JackMage666; 2008-09-23 at 04:57 PM.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JackMage666 View Post
    "Great..."
    (Mind explaining the new HP system? Might be helpful if I know it....)
    Still working out the kinks in my mind. I'll get back to you on that.

    After a few hours of travel, the sun begins to set.

    "We should set up camp." One of the men eventually says. Everyone nods in agreements.

    You erect some tents and build a small fire, then work out the watches. Which watch do you want? There are five watches.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    Isac ellects to take first watch.

    "Any of you have any spare Leathers? I could use the protection."
    Not entirely trusting of the situation, he keeps a close ear on his "companions" to make sure they're not plotting against him, as well as watching for guards or other enemies. He keeps his Katars close, regardless of who he hears.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    "Sure." One replies.

    "I'll be taking my leathers off to sleep, anyway."

    He removes his armor and gives it to you, and you quickly don the set of pads.

    Night quickly sets in.

    An now for one of my favorite parts of a game, where instead of me rolling a dice, you make a choice. Choose a number from one to twenty.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ooo! Ooo! 14! Weee!


    Isac dons it, but dislikes them, as they're still covered in his companions sweat. He misses his old armor, now probably in possession of some low level guard.

    He wonders briefly what they did with his old Katars... Not like anyone uses these things. That's why they're kinda his trademark. He smiles to himself seeing some entry level guard picking them up to train with an impaling his own foot.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    Roll for listen and spot.

    Edit: Oops, stuck in 3e.

    Roll for perception. Or whatever.
    Last edited by Silence; 2008-09-26 at 07:31 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[12]


    Rolling Perception.
    EDIT - Isn't it sad that my passive is nearly double what I rolled?
    Last edited by JackMage666; 2008-09-26 at 01:25 PM.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Silence's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    You hear a large creature sifting through the undergrowth, probably forging for food. You turn towards the sound, and through the darkness see a large pig-like shape.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JackMage666's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freedom Thread

    I ready my Katars for a fight, though don't go out looking for one. No sense in starting a conflict with something when it could just as easily move along.

    I try to look at it a tad closer, more from a spectacle standpoint than that of a hunter.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+10)[13]
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

    Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

    Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •