New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Throughout the planes group A

You have all been contacted by representatives of king Gareth Dragonsbane. The couriers tell each of you that an old library of the Witch-King Zhengyi has recently been unearthed. You are to explore the ruin and retrieve any spellbooks you find. Anything else is yours to keep.

On the apointed day you all gather at the Bloodstone gate. An old man greets you there. His whispy white hair falls on a simple white tunic. He carries nothing save a walking stick and two rings. "Greetings," he says, "you have each been contacted to serve our king. Although some of you are already known to me," he pauses and looks at Cylan the Savage,"if the rest of you do well you may earn our king's good graces. Here is a map. You are to bring back any spellbooks you find. If you cannot retrieve them make sure they are destroyed. Here is a map but be warned, Zhengyi was a powerful lich. There is no telling what he may have left behind."

((He hands you a map of the Bloodstone lands with the library marked on it. It looks to be about a day or two's worth of travel. If nobody has any questions you can set out immediately if you like.))
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Throughout the planes group A

Blue crosses his arms as the map is passed, and he dons a grim half-smile.

Standing 7'8" tall and weighing 275 pounds, Blue is an imposing figure. His skin is obsidian black over most of his body, with a few splotches of dark gray on his back and legs. Lithe, athletic muscles cover his body, a combination of powerful and limber. His face is dominated by his eyes, sky blue with a subtle glow. As with most goliath men, he has absolutely no hair, revealing an unusually smooth cranium for a goliath. His head is mostly free of lithoderms, and the few he has (one on his chin and three at the base of his neck) do not have his namesake sapphire--they seem to be composed of standard granite. His face is heavily pierced, with a small quarts crystal hanging from the lobe of his right ear, and three simple rings of bone through the ridges of both ears. His brows are pierced as well; three bone rings on his right brow, and three bone and one that seems to be made of polished obsidian in his left. A set of three large, metallic quarter-rings hang from a piercing in his lower lip, curving around his squared chin so that they seem to be running up through his square chin as well, though they actually end before they can penetrate his lower jaw.

The sapphire lithoderms that have defined most of his life primarily appear in his tall torso. They mostly line his sides, going up to his shoulders from his waist in a roughly linear pattern. A few more sapphire studded lithoderms appear on his arms in random places, as well as on his back.

The only clothing he wears on his upper body is a simple white vest that looks to be made of cotton. He has a heavy pair of bracers that looks scratched and beaten--as if they have fended off many blows in service--and a pair of simple, fingerless leather gloves. His leggings are plain, and appear to be made of silk. Heavy leather boots with steel plates over the toes cover his feet, and the plates have many scuffs and dents in them, much like his bracers.

"I am not knowing of magic, but be you sure this 'Zhengyi' be dead? An' not still movin'? Seen a lot a' undead in the Lowlands, an' I wanna make sure. Anythin' else ya know of down there what we need t' be keeping a lookout for? An' what of other riches that might be found in th' dark?" His voice is a rich, strong bass, projecting well and matching his gigantic stature.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"King Gareth vanquished the lich himself," the man replies, "You may rest assured he will not be troubling you. As to what to expect. Zhengyi was a powerful lich. There's no telling what he might have studied or left behind."
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Sebastian Ux

The copper scales around his eyes flex as the beastly creature nods, tufts of hair wrigling through the scales atop his head. His voice is a low growl that grates on the nerves, "If they cannot be recovered, they will burrrrrn." His mouth slides open and he licks at streams of acid trailing between his teeth even though smoke as if from a fire dances from his nostrils. Overall he truly is a beastly thing to look at, as though one had taken the ugliest man alive and beaten his face in with a club covered in rusted nails and doused it in acid. To be able to say he had survived such a thing, whether or not it was truly the cause of his hideous appearance, spoke volumes about his physical resilience. He could probably even bash skulls with a colossal red dragon and outlast it before a concussion set in and unconsciousness soon followed.

Despite his feature he held several artifacts of power that clung to his bulky frame and infused him with ever greater power. Around his neck an amulet gleamed with the power to increase his resilience even more. On his back he wore a pack that was most definitely large on the inside than the out from which he produced a crossbow with a gleaming crystal slung underneath. His torso glimmered with eldritch light as the chains he wore seemed to move with an unnatural fluidity. His hands were kept hidden by a pair of fine gloves that had been augmented to allow his claws to slip through without damaging them. Hidden within the right glove a series of strings connected his digits to the bracer he wore which was stocked with a variety of wands.

He takes a few moments to center himself before a series of short but powerful words spit from his lips in draconic, "Litrix. Auddstrat. Molik. Verthica." Ancient power flows from his body before reaching out to secure itself around each of the others present. The air seems to become more comfortable to them and a dull shimmer of platinum runs over their flesh before it fades to normal. His eyes glimmer with an inner light and his body only seems to bulk up further before ethereal wings burst from his armor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Endure Exposure on all Allies and Self. Endure Elements effect and Immunity to my breath weapons. 24 hour duration.
    Draconic Flight on Self. Fly speed equal to land speed (50ft) with good maneuverability. 24 hour duration.
    Voidsense on Self. Blindsense 30ft for 24 hours.
    Draconic Toughness on Self. 13 Temporary Hit Points gained, lasting 24 hours.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2008-08-28 at 01:47 PM. Reason: 1: Added a plural.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Aliam

Aliam watches the explosion of energy wash over the party, "Wow, what was that?"
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

6. - Top - End - #6

Blue harrumphs at the old man's reply. "So, expect anything. Not so helpful there, but so it goes. At least the lich be dead." He looks to the others and says, "So, we should be going. Sooner we be moving, sooner we be done, yah?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jaume Xavi

The tall muscled man in the shining full-plate yawns widely, but stifles it as soon as he realizes his rudeness. "Sorry chaps, had a bit of a late night last night. From the little I know of powerful undead, they like to surround themselves with other folks like themselves. I'd expect at least a few creepy crawlies that should be about 6 feet under the earth." He nods towards the colossal man standing next to him, smiling at his "enthusiasm". "Aye, I say we should get moving just as quick as we can."
    Thanks to Threeshades for the great avatar.

Access to Boards will be inconsistent for a few weeks.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Aliam

Aliam looks at the old man, "Will we be provided mounts for transportation there? Or perhaps we have alternate means?" He looks at his companions.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The Savage

He sits in a crouch against the side of the gate, watching people come and go into the city. He could almost be mistaken for a beggar by his garb, simple and ragged, with shorts of some animal's hide, old and worn, but clearly made by one with experience in such things. A long hemp cord with a bronze claw hanging from the end circles round his neck, hanging halfway down his torso, which is covered in a well made cloth bound mail shirt. Hair dirty enough that one cannot tell whether it was originally brown or blond.

As he stands the two bent daggers at his waist become visible. They look relatively new, as if they have seen little combat, quite contrary to the face of their owner, visible once he brushes aside his long hair: scarred and scowling, and clearly that of a loner and a fighter. However the most notable feature is his eyes, which seem at a glance to be slitted, like a cat's, but upon closer inspection seem normal, although of a bright yellow-green that stretches further into the whites than you've seen in any other man.

Nodding silently, he walks up to the group.

As Sebastian casts over the assembled few, he twitches, eyes flashing, and sinks about a foot, bending at the knees, hands brushing over his weapons at his sides, but rises lithely when he sees no threat is present.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-08-28 at 06:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

The man turns to Aliam and says, "I'm sure I can arrange something." He beckons over a youth, the young man clearly mystified at being beckoned. As the old man speaks to him he nods and then hurries off, practically stumbling over his feat in his eagerness. A few minutes later he returns leading five stallions and a massive draft beast for Blue.
    Last edited by SilentNight; 2008-08-28 at 06:31 PM.

My meager homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Sebastian

When transportation is brought to them the dragonborn merely shakes his head and holds out a hand in quiet refusal. Behind him his wings flex as he does so to illustrate his point that he is well without need despite the fact that a well trained horse would probably still be faster than he. Plus, flying is ten times cooler than not-flying. It would also give the author a reason to break the fourth wall and explain any lack of interaction for a few days.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The Savage

Turning to look at the map, the savage points to the spot marked Library. "This is our goal?" he asks. Upon confirmation, he nods. "I know the way."

He then reaches to the side and unhooks the saddle of one of the mounts, letting it fall to the ground. The rough, wiry man then vaults smoothly onto the horse, bareback, and begins to guide it out the gates. It is at this point that it becomes noticeable that he not only wears no footwear, but also carries no pack, no supplies other than the daggers at his side and the armor on his back.

13. - Top - End - #13

Blue nods silently to the Savage, and awkwardly mounts the huge horse offered to him. After a few tries and perhaps some words from another more experienced rider, he is in the saddle and ready to move onwards.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jaume struggles up onto the horse, his bulk and armor hampering his movement. When mounted, he adjusts a few plates of armor and nods to the rest, ready to go.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Aliam

Aliam seats himself in the saddle with little effort, showing at least a passing familiarity with riding horses. He looks at the so-far unnamed savage and says, "Lead the way."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

The six of you set out. The five on horseback can just spot the little speck that is the dragonborn Sebastian, almost invisible, like an ant on a granite counter. The sun is behind you, as it pointing the way with its rays.
    ((If you'd like to add interim conversation feel free but otherwise I'll just take you straight there.))

My meager homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17

Blue seems to have little to say for the most part; riding silently unless one of the others specifically hails him.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

After about a day of travel, you arrive at the place designated on the map. You see an ornate double door that seems to blend into the side of the hillock in which it rests. The only reason you are able to see it is that it is slightly ajar. A pungent odor of old books and a hint of what could possibly be rotting flesh assails you.

My meager homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Aliam

ooc spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, only a day...

Remember that with Quick Reconnoiter - Aliam gets a free listen/spot check every round even while moving. GM should just roll it whenever there is something that he might spot or hear: clue to a trap, hidden treasure, deadly ambush, etc. ;)

After spending the night in the shelter, Aliam prepares his spells for a dungeoncrawl and then walks over to the entrance to examine it for traps.
    "Allow me to lead the way... this is my speciality."

Spoiler
    Show
    Search:(1d20+24)[31]
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-08-30 at 02:52 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

((I could have sworn it said it was a day and a half. Oh well))

Aliam finds nothing around the door.

My meager homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The savage nods and follows, brushing his hands over his waist and flicking the two blades neatly into his hands. He shifts his feet outward and begins gliding quietly over the floor behind Aliam, shadows draping over him and making him quite hard to spot.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Entering Child of Shadow stance. As long as we move 10 ft. per round I've got concealment.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-08-30 at 03:35 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Aliam

Aliam proceeds cautiously down the stairs at a slow pace, his eyes glancing everywhere at once, his ears perked for any sign of problems, if the light fails he will pause to make some arcane gestures and sounds, then lead on.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the light becomes too dim to see by, he will cast Darkvision on himself. Quick Reconnoiter still going - free listen and spot checks.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

23. - Top - End - #23

Blue wrinkles his nose at the foul scent eminating from the dank place, and pulls a small piece of cloth (probably cotting in make) from his pouce, wrapping it over his nose and face like a scarf. That done, he slowly falls in line behind Aliam.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

As the group precedes down the stairs, you set foot in a dark, dank corridor. The floor is covered in a red, moth eaten carpet. On either side are statues of humanoids, the closest of which is of an elven female in leather armor, her hands thrown up as if to deflect something and an expression of abject horror on her face. The other statues are of a similar theme. The odor grows stronger, almost a physical presence attacking your nostrils.

The corridor turns left after about fifty feet, the carpet and statues continuing. As you turn the corner you see that there is a door on either side of you, about thirty feet down. The end of the corridor is in blackness. Aliam spots something off about one of the statues on the right. The shield of the stone dwarf dowsn't seem quite right.

(1d20+19)[38]
    Last edited by SilentNight; 2008-08-30 at 10:14 PM.

My meager homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Aliam

Aliam holds his hands for a pause and checks out the nearest statue... is the stone all of a type, but more importantly, do pieces come off it... as though it was in fact a person transformed to stone with all of their equipment. Once that is determined Aliam will move slowly down the corridor, he will pause before reaching the last statue, searching the area extensively to see if there might be a trap... particularly a petrification trap.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search:(1d20+24)[27]

If there is a trap Aliam will attempt to disarm it, if not, he will look closer at the dwarven statue. Is the shiled also of the same stone, is any part of it different-seeming?
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Aliam finds no such trap. The statue is all of one stone except for the shield. In the center of the shield is a stone of different make, black rather than the gray of the other stone.

My meager homebrew

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jaume tries to stand near the front of the group, hoping that if trouble presents itself he will be able to reach it before it got to the rest of the group. After all, the heavy metal armor he chose to wear wasn't for comfort.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Aliam

Aliam points to the off-colored stone in the center of the shield. "Anyone have a detect magic, perchance? And if so, don't waste it... let's see if anything seems to be coming from either of the doors."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

29. - Top - End - #29

Looking at the many statues, Blue idly wonders out loud, "All of these be startin' as statue? I'm not so sure... Fought back some basilisks few years ago, victims looked kin'a like this afterwards..."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

((Tacitus, I'm sorry if I guessed wrong but I take it that I will make Sebastian act as neccessary until you're back?))

Sebastian speaks a few words in Draconic and his eyes flash blue. He looks ay the stone and says, "It's a philosopher's stone, I'm told. Verrrrry magical." Nothing else registers as magic.
    Last edited by SilentNight; 2008-08-31 at 10:10 PM.

My meager homebrew