Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #593 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kubota could live quite easily..and even come out victorious. A dead leader is much easier to rally the people behind...but a discredited one will do to turn them to you.as I'm sure Kubota would have used Hinjo's memory to his benefit, taking the rulership of Azure city with a publicly very heavy heart. It's very effective PR when when your rival oh so mysteriously is killed in the line of duty and you are forced to to step in.

The way he would easily turn it around, even if Hinjo is alive is to have kept the allies Azurites need to retake their city in his figurative back pocket the whole time.

I mea I wold save them if I had them to prove I was the leader to step into Shojo's and now Hinjo's shoes. Now that it's next to impossible to keep trying to quietly off Hinjo, the next best thing would be to play the allies card. Kubota could easily whip the other nobles and even commoners into a an Azurite natonalist fervor, using the allies that Hinjo has failed to garner as proof that he is the leader Azure City really needs in its time of ultimate crisis. Any accusations of murder and conspiracy Hinjo, the Katos, Elan or any other OotS could level could so easily be dismissed as a pathetic attempt to keep their hands on power rather than doing what's best for Azure City and winning their homes back.

Just like that in the eyes of the Azure City's people Kubota is the hero who deliver them, not some substitute new home, but their true homes and revenge on the hobgoblin hordes, and Hinjo and anyone standing with him are the power-hungry monsters standing in the way.

This is completely hypothetical and based on the assumption Kubota was smooth enough to get most of the people Hinjo talked to on his side, before Hinjo and Elan went to meet them in the first place.The big if being, Kubota getting to them first and fast enough to convince them he was their true friend and Hinjo was not to be trusted.
    .......craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap I can so see that hapening. Leading to a Giligan's Island arc when they are extrodited from the fleet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmmm....well one thing's for certain. Someone's goin' down for that. Good comic.
    "Nobody likes a screaming clown. It puts one off one's feed." - Lore Sjoberg

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LuisDantas View Post
    Hey, I am trying to see your side here. Please cooperate!
    Sure, I'm happy to explain. I hope you don't mind my reordering your comments in an effort to make my explanation more understandable.

Hinjo left explicit orders to evacute as many people as he could, favoring the most helpless even. Faulting him for favoring fighting for the city instead of deserting it (which in all possible scenarios would result in leaving most people behind to be slaughtered) is quite odd.
    I am not convinced that more people could not have been saved by retreating from the city by land rather than trying to hold it. However, I am not trying to argue that Hinjo is other than good here; he's a paladin, which is the very definition of good. I am merely pointing out that the results of Kubota's actions stack up pretty well against the results of Hinjo's actions, and we consider Hinjo's actions well within the realm of "good".

As you point out later, there are undoubtedly differences between your perspective and mine. One difference may be that I personally have family who spent years as war refugees, fleeing invasion. When actually faced with such situations, one is forced to make difficult decisions: which family members can travel, and which cannot? Will we leave someone behind to care for the aged and disabled, potentially condemning a additional soul to mistreatment and death? If the city is lost, will we hide our daughters or disguise them as boys to prevent their being carried off, or is the risk of execution of the entire household if the ruse is discovered too great? Is it evil to treat evil enemies well with food and wine, if it may save your daughters from being carried off and misused? These are real decisions that my mother's family faced, and I reject the idea that fighting a hopeless fight that simply gets more people killed is always the only "good" solution.

Regarding Kubota's house leaving the city on ships rather than staying behind at Hinjo's request:

Reading that as a good act makes it awfully hard not to wonder what your real-world political ideas are, though.
    Possibly. My view is that it can be as patriotic to oppose a misguided or unwinnable war as to support it merely because the government asks. Where there is disagreement on whether a war is misguided or unwinnable, both support and opposition may be patriotic positions, depending on one's personal analysis of the war. If the government believes they have good reason for their decisions, it is the government's job to present those reasons convincingly to the population; it is not the population's job to assume that the government is acting rightly. Such an assumption is too often mistaken.

I recognize that there is an opposing view that patriotism means "my country right or wrong". In D&D terms, that comes down to "our side is by definition good; their side is by definition evil". While I don't mind if others play their D&D games that way, I don't think the world of this comic is meant to be understood that way.
    Last edited by Warren Dew; 2008-09-18 at 11:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

Waaaaaah! That made me mist up something fierce. I'll miss Therkla.
    Rhuna Coppermane, half-orc for hire
    Ranger, pantheist, protector of neophytes

Member, Redcloak Fanclub

5. - Top - End - #275
    Halfling in the Playground

AUGH.

(that is all.)

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

"...hope that the Afterlife doesn't have a worse punishment than not being with you." That one got to me.

Still...
    I'm glad she's finally finished off. She was such a waste of time (and a bit of an annoyance.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Credit to Aghdar, Wayril, and Sneak
    Renegade Paladin is my hero: Best Town Characters EVER!!! Mine coming soon...

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

I disagree that Therkla's arc was just a red herring. What seems to be shaping up into character development for Elan could be just as important as that of Vaarsuvius. Elan's uselessness as a bard has been a character trait since the very beginning. Various plot events then began gradually giving him more competence in order to face increasingly more demanding conflicts. V's tutoring allowed Elan to make a better use of his illusions on occasion, then it was his new prestige class, without which there was no way he could have survived the confrontation with Nale as well as the big battle. And now, the upcoming Saving The World plot needs him to be actually competent and reliable in a fight, at least in those aspects one can even expect him to be reliable in. Like having a cure poison spell ready when it's needed.
    It's worth noting that Elan's increase in effectiveness not only consists of Taking A Level in Badass, but of actually growing up. In Cliffport's prison we see Elan having all but given up in a typical Elan fashion, and then pull himself together and come up with an alternate breakout tactic.
    This incident could very well be a cruel push towards Elan starting to take his own abilities seriously.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I never, ever thought I would say this, but...

I think we're going to see Elan kick some holy ass.

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by NephandiMan View Post
    I never, ever thought I would say this, but...

I think we're going to see Elan kick some holy ass.
    Oh yes that would be awesome

Avvy By Me
    Proud Avatarist, Oh and I take requests
    My Art
    In The Playground Website

Magic Items
    Spoiler
    Show

Apocalypse Rising
    IC | OOC
    "Check mate I sunk your battle ship"
    Quote Originally Posted by drakeblood4 View Post
    Great artist, I'm assuming clinically insane as hes willing to draw for me. Also, *cracks whip* WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT OF YOUR BOX, I TOLD YOU TO DRAW FASTER!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Nobody is exempt from death.

I have a feeling Kabuto will bring about his own defeat (I am also sure this is a trope).

Perhaps Therklas life was forfeit to appease Banjulhu?

(Banjo works in mysterious ways)

11. - Top - End - #281

Nooooo :( This was very sad and touching :(
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

12. - Top - End - #282

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Dew View Post
    Compare with Hinjo, who probably didn't save that many more people on his personal ship, but who ordered his soldiers to kill 30,000 hobgoblins, and lost thousands of his people as a result.
    What you're forgetting is that Hinjo wasn't just the ruler of Azure City. He was also the leader of the Sapphire Guard. That left him with a higher responsibility: preventing Soon's Gate from falling into Evil hands, no matter the cost. Thousands died in the near-unwinnable battle against Xykon and Redcloak's army, but all of existence would've been at risk had Hinjo followed Kubota's example and ran away without fighting.

And who knows, maybe if Kubota and the other nobles hadn't pulled their troops away, the battle could've gone differently. (Well, that and if Miko had gone after Redcloak and Xykon instead of destroying the Gate.) We don't know exactly how many more soldiers would've been available, but when your enemy numbers in the range of 30,000, more for your side never hurts.

13. - Top - End - #283

BlueWizardGirl

I know this has been said, but -

NO!

And, if Elan wants to start collecting scalps, I saw a noble's topknot I hope he gets to add really soon.

(and sorry for monging up the page, I wasn't thinking [extreme emotional distress does that to me])
    Last edited by Ellen; 2008-09-20 at 12:11 AM.

14. - Top - End - #284

Ellen, you're monging up the page...

On another note, damn.

And I just put on the theme off "Chariots of Fire" when I started reading... (Song does wonders to morale, especially when someone dies [/sarcasm])

Seriously, Inkscape does magic even with those who have 0 in Craft (Stick Figures)

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coke_Can64 View Post
    Ellen, you're monging up the page...

On another note, damn.

And I just put on the theme off "Chariots of Fire" when I started reading... (Song does wonders to morale, especially when someone dies [/sarcasm])

The Beetle's "Revolver" does not help much either.

Not one song on it.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

I kind of expected Therkla's death, but it's sad all the same.....

Echoes of the heart never fade...

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaradcel View Post
    A little drop of pain (Sung to the tune of "A little fall of rain" from les Miserables)
    You win the internet. That was just great. Bravo!
    The Historian: This DM has the history of his world written out millenniums back. It is intricate, complex, and most importantly, incredibly long. Moreover, everything your characters are doing is based on the previous history. It also tends to lead to loudmouth NPCS who will explain hundreds of years of history at a time while the players try to gouge their eardrums out with mechanical pencils.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Well, this free's up Haley's player to comitting to Haley full time again - perhaps a sign of Haley's imminent (by which I mean, within 50 pages), return.
    A hypothetical question: If wasn't Asian nor a Samurai, would there be as many Miko-fans?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by disorder View Post
    No, but Therkla's last big rant before she was poisoned made it clear that she was growing up, and would soon realize that her life doesn't have to revolve around Elan or Kabota.
    She has presumably spent her life being rejected because of her mixed blood, and she grabs way too hard onto anyone who treats her fairly -- first Kubota, then Elan. What she's obsessed with isn't necessarily Elan, just acceptance.
    You are so writing into the character what isn't there. Therkla wants Elan from long before he knows she is alive. Nor does she want anything like respect from him. That would be a nice extra of course, but as we see in
    582, being his doormat is a position she begs for. And she dies thinking that the worst of it will be the absence of Elan.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InuSaga View Post
    Meh. That one never moved me.

This one though? I felt a tear. Just a little one, but it was there. Poor Therkla. Poor Elan. Poor me.
    I meant the title of Comic 84.

Why are you crying. Therkla tried to convince Elan to leave Haley. If anything she was a homewrecker.
    Zenithbold-Bard by Lord Raziere | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

21. - Top - End - #291

The page looks funny. Where is the über large post?

Anyway, sometimes you gotta hate the Giant...but in a good way.
    Damn it, that was sad...
    Last edited by Ossian; 2008-09-19 at 02:54 AM.
    Enjoy my creations
    Gatsu, from Berserk (Kentaro Miura's)
    A hero: the Tekkaman space-knight.
    The villain he has to face: Dobrai, Valdaster Overlord from Tekkaman

Threadwinner of Vs Mage challenges.
    Warning: may perform below standards if target has no heat signature (eg: undead mage)

22. - Top - End - #292
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I have a good advice to Elan. Next time seeing a dying ask his/her full name. Or else, try to make remember his/her childhood. This might come out as the character would be more important and might save it's life.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Bit of advice for Elan when he goes after Kubota... aim for the head.

also, change to an alternate bardic weapon, like a morningstar so you can smash Kubota's face to a bloody pulp
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Not Therkla

And it's official: GitPG lied! This is the Saddest. Comic. Ever. and not this one
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

One of the worst things, to me, is that it seems like Daigo arrived just a round after she died...if Elan hadn't wasted two rounds trying to stab Kubota before telling him to fetch the potions, he might've returned sooner.

Of course, he might not've had the right potion anyway.

And, of course, it's Elan...Roy and maybe V would've thought of that plan immediately, but Elan doesn't think quite that fast.

But, yeah. Poor Therkla.
    "Thus, we are all composed of stardust, or if you're feeling a tad more cynical, solar excrement." -- Dr. James Kakalios

26. - Top - End - #296

A lot of people seem to think V will come to the rescue and nuke the K-man. How about this?

Spoiler
    Show
    V flies to Kubota's ship knowing that he is responsible for unleashing the devil on the island and asks to join him. Why? Because (s)he seeks ultimate power, has been sliding into a bad temperment for a long time now and hasn't "slept" in forever.

27. - Top - End - #297

In the words of Queen:
    "One by one,
    Only the good die young,
    They're just flying too close to the sun,
    etc"
    *sob*
    Avatar by me...yup that's how good my drawing is. As in not very good.

Crack-Pairings, Not Dead Just Moved. Someone Hasn't Been Looking In The Right Places.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleniel View Post
    Taekwondodo - your nick and your avatar are terrific. I want to award you something... how about enough melons to see you through the next ice age?

28. - Top - End - #298

About the spoiler in the previous post: it's a thought that occurred me yesterday. I fear it may be correct.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, as noted, V knows about the Snarl and the gates. Kubota doesn't. If he learns about that through V them he may well decide to offer nominal support to V and to returning to Azure City, thus providing V with three things he badly wants: less distractions, a better ground to reestablish contact with Haley, Roy and Belkar, and an ally that has just proved to be willing and able of making good use of the rules and of magic items.

Disappointed and unsupported as V is with his companions at the moment (and there is evidence that, tough talk not withstanding, V values companionship a lot) he just might decide that Kubota is a better bet.

I would absolutely hate that to happen, but it would be a good plot idea and engaging read.
    Last edited by LuisDantas; 2008-09-19 at 06:34 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299

Quote Originally Posted by Red XIV View Post
    What you're forgetting is that Hinjo wasn't just the ruler of Azure City. He was also the leader of the Sapphire Guard. That left him with a higher responsibility: preventing Soon's Gate from falling into Evil hands, no matter the cost.
    While I wonder if this is a factor in Warren's remarkably harsh judgment of Hinjo, it does not count against Kubota, since he does not know anything about the Gate or the Snarl.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Now I'm sniffling. Darn, that's not how I wanted to wake up this morning.
    Applicant For Team Evil

Chief of the Gouda Resistance

Maybe she would have liked him more when he had hair

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/Gian...tscript?SK=113