New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Fate of Kas'arrata

The bustling city of Kas'arrata sits at the end of the Irving Peninsula like the jewel at the end of a scepter. The city is tremendous, to the extent that large portions of it's dwellings are either right on the waterfront or, in places, actually built on floating barges that dot the western coast of the city. It's walled gates facing southeast have stood for a thousand or more years and have never been penetrated. Ships come from every direction seeking to dock in the illustrious ports of Kas'arrata, often thought of as the very marketplace of the world. Those who do business here do so shamelessly, selling anything from rare gems and metals to illicit potions and herbs to slaves and rare or dangerous animals. While most of what is traded in Kas'arrata is illegal in most places (the city itself often included), the government often does little or nothing in way of stopping it. The city has grown wealthy by accepting the trash and disease of its neighbors and has no intention of developing moral superiority just yet.

The city is surrounded on all sides by a massive barrier reef, making sea travel nearby very dangerous. Because of this, sea-travel is often funneled through a handful of 'safe zones' where passage is unobstructed. Of course, the Merchant's Guild controls each of these zones. Ships that fail to pay for the privilege of entering or leaving the city are usually raiding upon landing at the docks or sunk a few kilometers of the coast by the Merchant Navy. The first rule of commerce in Kas'arrata is to get a cut-- even if it's a throat you're cutting. The General's audience for guards will be held tomorrow at 10am.

Ka Yahn
    You arrive in Kas'arrata by ship at mid-morning, as is typical for most travelers into the city. The port is a bustling bazaar of people and noises, all of which seem very frightening and oppressive to the meek Haru. Almost as soon as you depart from the ship, a man comes up to you with a bag of apples and a piece of parchment. He offers you the apple freely and hands you the piece of parchment, claiming free lodging at the Black Water Tavern and Inn, just a few streets over from the dock. It is apparent by the parchment and his demeanor that he has some political interest in gaining the trust and affection of any who enter the town, and a quick glance at the parchment reveals why: "You are Cordially invited to enjoy an evening of free rest and food at the Black Water Tavern and Inn. Please stay as a beloved guest of the Merchant's Association, who would appreciate your support in the future."

Grishak
    Your time in Kas'arrata has been what most would consider insufferable. Since entering the city you have not been able to get so much as a wink of good sleep, as a pulsing sensation in the back of your mind seems intent on keeping your attention. Some great psionic force is present in the city and seems to be subtly calling out to you, entering your dreams and affecting your body. You haven't been eating much lately and find your concentration waning. You've exhausted all possibilities in the city in your search for Blood Opals, but you begin to think that you should turn your attention to who or what it is that is affecting your mind.

Harkaitz
    You arrive in Kas'arrata by ship late in the evening. The port is a bustling bazaar of people and noises, all of which seem dull and unimportant to you. Almost as soon as you depart from the ship, a man comes up to you with a bag of apples and a piece of parchment, but he is quickly pushed aside by an attractive young human woman. She is average in height and appears slender and graceful. She has long, chestnut brown hair and a supple face that seems almost as obviously waiting to smile as a snake poised to strike. She is dressed in fine clothing, denoting some status, and walks towards you with an unstoppable stride, bumping past others much larger than she without being stopped or intimidated. She walks directly towards you, her eyes fixed and her hand extended to shake yours. She calls out in a sweet voice that reminds you of elven honey-wine, "Master Aquilon?"

Meovai
    Your time in Kas'arrata has been rather uneventful. You have been staying at a rather respectable Inn near the noble's quarter. While the Inn is not lavish in accommodations or expensive, it is very well kept by a polite elderly couple, Mr. and Mrs. Kornan. These two, gnomes as far as you can tell, seem to take a special interest in you, offering you home-made meals and polite conversation that is typically not extended to other guests. However, the night before last, you had a terrifying dream in which a tall, dark man entered your room and demanded you train him as an Empty Hand Master. Able to tell that he was a very dangerous and evil man, you refused him. Despite your obvious advantage of size, he was able to shove you through the thin walls of the inn. When you awoke from the dream, your room was undamaged. However, in the night, someone had murdered the other guests at the inn and the Kornan's were missing. You decided to leave immediately, hoping to find lodging elsewhere, keeping the mystery present in your mind.

Seryn the Dark
    Your time in the city has been relatively enjoyable. The darkness of the city streets and the hearts of those who dwell there gives you ample time and place to do any such deed as fits your desires. Your search for the Kingslayer has turned up no leads, except one. A passing acquaintance of yours, an Inn-keeper named Garble "Gurb" Greywatcher has informed you that the Merchant's Association has commandeered his establishment, the Black Water Tavern and Inn, in an attempt to drum up support for some political move. As such, many powerful members of the Association will be present tonight. Gurb tells you that your search for the Kingslayer may best begin by interrogating one of the Merchant Lords.

Barham Leight
    You arrive in Kas'arrata by ship at mid-morning, as is typical for most travelers into the city. The port is a bustling bazaar of people and noises, all of which seem very exciting and interesting. Almost as soon as you depart from the ship, a man comes up to you with a bag of apples and a piece of parchment. He offers you the apple freely and hands you the piece of parchment, claiming free lodging at the Black Water Tavern and Inn, just a few streets over from the dock. It is apparent by the parchment and his demeanor that he has some political interest in gaining the trust and affection of any who enter the town, and a quick glance at the parchment reveals why: "You are Cordially invited to enjoy an evening of free rest and food at the Black Water Tavern and Inn. Please stay as a beloved guest of the Merchant's Association, who would appreciate your support in the future."

Ursa
    Your arrive at Kas'arrata's gates as the sun begins to set. It is obvious that travel in and out of the city through these means is typically reserved for caravans by the surprise the gatekeeper, an aging man in ill-fitting armor. He smiles politely at you, taking you for a savage simpleton or fur-trader, and lets you in without much discussion. You enter the city's lower class quarter, made obvious by the cramped homes and apartments stacked on top of each other in poorly built dwellings. Your bear and you seem to garner some attention, and before long a city guard patrol comes up to you and begins questioning you as to why you are in the city, why you have a bear with you, and whether or not you have papers of transit.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: The Fate of Kas'arrata

While Harkaitz set out to journey to Kas'arrata on the recommendation of an acquaintance who was apparently familiar with the city, he had certainly not expected to be greeted by name upon his arrival.

Though he wonders why the girl shoved aside the man with the apples, he takes the hand she offers him with a cordial smile.

"The very same. And who might you be, young lady?"
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Meovai

Though he was doing his best to at least keep his outward appearance calm as he walked the streets of Kas'arrata, Meovai knew the events of two nights ago were still affecting him. His left foot was sore, which only happened when he let himself limp more than usual. But given the deaths at the inn two nights ago and his inability to sleep well last night as a result had disrupted his concentration. How is it possible? I and my room were unharmed. That part must have been in my head; but the dead bodies, those were real. Could he have possessed me and made ME kill them when he was in my mind? But there was no blood on my hands. Maybe he kept them all asleep and killed them silently. If he can make me dream what I dreamed, he can surely keep others asleep and killing them like that would take little martial prowess. He begins to speak out loud without realizing it. Yes, he's not very strong, which is why he appears as a strong man and wishes to learn a martial art that can compensate for weakness and small size. This was a discussion he'd had with himself a dozen times in the last two days, but somehow, the conclusion seems more calming this time or perhaps he's simply willing the thoughts away to deal with his foot and, he realizes, his hunger. Patting his stomach, he looks around for a place to eat. Spotting one that seems relatively clean but inexpensive, he makes a decision. A meal to fill the body and then some training to clear my head; that's what I need.. He begins walking towards the tavern/restaurant, looking and feeling much calmer than he had a moment ago.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-09-19 at 05:35 PM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Harkaitz
    The woman shakes your hand cheerfully with a squinty grin. Allison Chase, undersecretary to Janis Mantra, Archmage of the University and head of the Mage's Guild. We've been expecting you sir.
    She smiles warmly, and seems to smell very nice. You can't shake the notion that she has such a prestigious position do largely in part to her beauty and charisma.
    I have been asked to make sure you find accomodations here in Kas'arrata. Perhaps you would come with me? The Mage's Guild would be happy to offer you lodging and food this evening and Master Matra is very eager to meet you.

Meovai
    Hungry and confused, you enter a large tavern. You realize that, having been lost in your thoughts, you had wandered all the way over towards the docks. The tavern is large and hundreds of servants bustle in preparations for some important meeting. A Halfling man with a crutch hobbles over to you and smiles. Gurb Greywatcher, nice t'meetcha friend. Can I see your invitation?

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueWizardGirl

-Harkaitz

*She may only have this job because she's beautiful,* Harkaitz thinks, *But I'm not going to complain. It's been too many decades since this old elf has had an excuse to spend time in the company of a pretty young thing like her.*

"Thank you very much, Miss Chase. I think I'll do that. Lead the way."
    Last edited by Ascension; 2008-09-19 at 06:08 PM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

"Y-yes, I'll do that. Thank you."
    Haru smiles weakly as he takes the apple and piece of paper, deciding to move off to the inn as quickly as possible.
    "And where do you think you're going, little weakling?"
    Ka Yahn's terrifying voice echoes in Haru's mind, making the poor man jolt and nearly drop his apple.
    "Taking advantage of the favor of merchants? Men with idle fingers and coin, deciding they have what it takes to run a city? Bah."
    Ka Yahn guides Haru away from the man who greeted them, forcing his hands to rip the parchment in two and let it drift to the streets, clenching the apple in one hand until it crumples, leaving strange claw marks in it as he drops it after the parchment.
    "May Pale Night take their coin and burn them for their arrogance. We'll consider their offer only if there is nothing more interesting to find..."
    A glint of red in his host's eyes, Ka Yahn makes his way through the streets, his terrible gaze falling on anyone who manages to get in his way or catch his attention. Despite Haru's dull and uninteresting form, Ka Yahn's mere presence in him makes him seem frightening if the demon pushes his influence hard enough. He'll scour the streets for any entertainment, people or places of interest, but should he find nothing by evening, he'll make his way to the Black Water Inn.

7. - Top - End - #7

Seryn "Slade" Darkwalker

The whisper gnome moves through the streets slowly, cautiously, sticking to the shadows. He doesn't really focus on staying out of sight, though his innate power over darkness would likely be enough to keep him out of the eyes of any who weren't actively seeking him. He makes his way towards this "Black Water Tavern and Inn" that Gurb mentioned...

Once he finds his way to it, he will silently examine the outside of the building, looking it over for places to enter without being seen by both those outside and in, as well as ways to exit in a hurry should things turn bad for him. He also keeps an alert ear out for the words of those passing by.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, first off, I finally figured out why it wasn't saving Slade's alias and last name on my sheet--forgot that MW doesn't like double quotes. The name I start the post with is the one on his sheet now. Most people would know him as Slade.

Next, some rolls.

Listen: (1d20+13=14) Wow, what a WONDERFUL way to begin a game. ><

I'll take 20 on a search check for the entrances/exits mentioned.

What time of day is it, and what time of day will the meeting begin?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Barham Leight

Barham Leight had a philosophy. In fact, he had many; but the one that applied most readily here was, "Don't turn down free food."

He takes the apple, glancing over the note. "Why, thank you, my friend," he says, although the greeter has already moved on to another passenger. "I think that I will." He nods to himself, folding the note and placing it in his pocket. He spends a moment contemplating the apple before he takes a bite out of it, and then he spends another moment looking at the people on the shore as they go to and from the ships. He spends a third moment watching the waves go up and down on the pillars of the next dock over, and then a fourth moment, because it is the kind of sight that deserves at least that much.

Barham Leight spent moments like water, because just like water, there were always more of them. Just now, though, he felt he was done here. There were many other places in the city he would doubtless enjoy, and his keen senses had noticed signs that he should move on, such as a dockworker almost running into him from behind as they carried crates off the ship.

Barham Leight ambles off in search of the Black Water Tavern, or anything equally eye-catching.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Harkaitz
    (It is mid-afternoon. Disregard the original "early evening")
    Miss Chase smiles warmly and takes your hand. She leads you through the crowded port district at a calm pace, often standing beside you as you walk and sometimes leading you. She holds your hand regardless, seeming intent on making sure she doesn't lose you. As you walk towards the Nobles Quarter, you begin to see the towering buildings of the Academy in the distance. Miss Chase seems intent on making small talk along the way, pointing out her favorite places to eat, specialties of the city, and anything else that might make Kas'arrata appear to be the kind of town one would want to live in.

Ka Yahn
    You wander the city for a few hours, looking for something particularly interesting, when the nearby bustle of the Bazaar catches your ear. The bazaar is a large outdoor market set up directly on the waterfront. While not explicitly under the merchant's association's direct control, the Bazaar is typically monitored and taxed by them. As you wander the Bazaar, you notice a small stand being run by an emaciated old man, who appears almost skeletal. He looks at you in such a way as to suggest he can read your soul as most could tell your hair color. His gaze is discomforting to say the least, but you have a hard time shying away from it.

Slade
    You stand in front of the Black Water Tavern and Inn as the early afternoon sun shines on your back. Although Gurb had told you that the event of the evening was a dinner affair, you decided to come by and case the joint. Appearing to be a remodeled house, the Tavern and Inn appears to be a rather large two-story building. A few steps lead to a covered wrap-around porch with chairs and small tables set up, and above the porch's awning you can see quite a few windows. Wooden posts built with small fencing in between them line the porch and support the awning. It appears that one could rather easily climb one of the posts and make it to the awning, and enter a window from there. The porch wraps around to the left side of the house, allowing you clear entrance/exit without having to do so directly in plain view of any passer-by. As you study the house, a rather large Goliath steps directly over you and walks up the steps and into the building. As the door opens, the clamoring of servants working hard at some preparation can be heard, otherwise the bustle of the street is the only sound available.
    Last edited by ocato; 2008-09-19 at 07:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

BlueWizardGirl

Harkaitz

Harkaitz is somewhat amused by both the woman's insistent grip on his hand and her glowing description of the seedy port city.

"It seems almost as if you're interested in making me more than a guest," he remarks with a slight grin, "I'm not sure if these old bones are ready to settle down yet or not. Let me speak to your Master Mantra before we go making plans..."
    Last edited by Ascension; 2008-09-20 at 01:29 PM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

Haru quails before the man's gaze, but Ka Yahn is in control... and though he is uneasy and slightly intimidated, he reacts much differently than Haru.
    There are two main types of reaction to intimidation and threats. Most people are submissive, and instinctively avoid such situations so that they will not come to harm. Like many animals are prone to do, they flee and cower away to survive, which serves them well. However, some people have learned that force and intimidation can be fought by matching it... and thus Ka Yahn finds himself in an odd sort of staring match with the old man, glaring back at him with an abyssal gaze, refusing to back down lest he be proved weak.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by ocato View Post
    Gurb Greywatcher, nice t'meetcha friend. Can I see your invitation?
    Meovai

Jolted out of his reverie, Meovai answers the halfling Invitation? I was just looking for some food. But, seeing the many servants walking around, I seem to have come to the wrong place. What's going on, if you don't mind me asking?
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-09-19 at 09:06 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Barham
    The city is filled to the brim with things to see and hear that might catch the attention of a curious passer-by. There is a bazaar near the docks that teems with life and activity, and past that is a large district of shops ranging from magical reagent brokers to wandering flower sellers. In fact, despite the city's seedy reputation, one with the eye for it can find moments of simple beauty at every turn. Assuming you head towards the Black Water Tavern, Barham will pass through the busy bazaar and the merchant district on his way towards the Inn.

Harkaitz
    Miss Chase looks at you with a sort of playful innocence. I assure you sir, I am simply acting as instructed. I was asked to make sure you enjoy your stay. She pauses a moment, and... should you fail to escape the city in time, you may find yourself a permanent resident. Miss Chase giggles a bit to herself, as if this were and idle or unrealistic threat. We should hurry along, Master Mantra hates to wait.

Ka Yahn
    You stare at the old man, who meets your gaze equally. After a few moments, he begins to laugh maniacally. You can't help but feel like he knows something you don't as he slowly begins to reach into his pocket and produces a red gem, which he waves at you teasingly. He then swallows the gem and barks like a dog at you. BLUE WANTS RED, I'LL HAVE YOUR HEAD! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Meovai
    Gurb chuckles at you. You sure picked a lousy time to come by looking for pub snacks! Tonight the Merchant's are having a big to-do to get anyone who'll be stuck in town on their side. They seem to think that if the King's decree lasts more than a day, they'll lose some money. Fancy that! Anyway, they're having a little party. He reaches into his pocket and hands the Goliath a piece of parchment. Come back in a few hours, tell them you're a goon fresh off the boats and show them this. They'll treat you like a prince!

14. - Top - End - #14

Satisfied with his examination of the building, Slade enters the tavern, examining the interior room and the patrons within silently (well, after getting out of the doorway).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Grishak

The goblin shuffled out of his room at the Dancing Harpy, and the other guests moved out of his way as fast as they could. They had had their fill of interacting with the impossible little goblin, who if it could be believed was getting even more irrascible and rude.

His black cloak was low over his face, and his three-fingered, gloved hands grasped his well-worn staff tightly. Trudging past the innkeep, the man meekly said, "Pardon me, sirrah. 'Tis time fer the room money." The man shrinks back even as he says it, afraid of the reaction.

The goblin stops silently in front of the bar, and stands still for a moment. Then a hand disappears under the cloak and reappears, bearing a few silver coins. These he quietly places upon the bar, and moves on.

The brainless, simpering clod. Why must I be cursed to be surrounded by such useless idiots?

Because you are superior - compared to you, everyone is a simpleton. Now, let us go forth and find what is bedeviling us so. Perhaps then we can make more headway on our true quest.

The goblin paused only for a breath, but placed his hand upon his breast in thanks for the comforting words that he heard in his mind. Thank you, Solut. Yes, let us concentrate on this damnable static in my head. Perhaps once that is cleared, we can make more progress.

The goblin started off once again, turning from the doorway of the Dancing Harpy, pausing only once to wave some bat guano, utter a word of draconic, and send a bolt of flame at the feet of a beggar who asked him for a spare coin or two, sending him running as fast as his shoeless feet could carry him. The rest of the market goers spared him a much wider berth after that. Perhaps these dolts are not as dumb as I took them for.

And thus did Grishak spend his morning, quartering the city, using the strength of the buzzing and pain in his head to guide him to whatever is distressing him to no end. Whenever his headache grew, he knew he was getting closer. Occasionally he would send Solut out on surreptitious flights to gauge direction to the source as well, judging that when the connection to his psicrystal became harder, that would also be closer to the source.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vampire Ninja Death Squirrel by Jacklu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Frankly, we're a bunch of nerds here, and we like to argue.
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger
    Grishak, Blue Psion Nomad
    Otheym, Warforged Ashworm Dragoon

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueWizardGirl

Harkaitz

As much as Harkaitz would enjoy "playful innocence" in a woman under other circumstances, Miss Chase's current cheer is rather disturbing. He frowns deeply, the lines on his face reminding the observer that his face has worn such an expression many times before.

"Escape the city in time? What do you mean? I'm only here because my friend Colrin suggested I visit someday, and I had some free time, so I thought to myself, 'Why not stop by?' He was a member of your Mage's Guild, I think, but he left on sabbatical some years ago... never returned... If this city is a place one has to 'escape' in order to leave, I think I may know why he never came back!"

Hecate, the weasel riding on his shoulder, squeals a weaselly sound in agreement.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2008-09-19 at 10:56 PM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

"Crazy old man!"
    That gem looked expensive... oh it was so tempting to try and get it, but at the same time... all the people around him...
    Ka Yahn's borrowed eyes flick over the area, trying to see if the man has anymore gems, or if that was the only one.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2008-09-19 at 11:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Barham Leight

The dark-skinned man wanders through the bazaar, allowing both his eyes and feet to ramble. So many things, and the feeling that many more were passing by out of sight. It tempted Barham to simply Ask where he would most enjoy being; but something catches his eye, and he decides he will save this for when he is no longer enjoying where he is right now.

He stops in front of a stall selling eggs: tiny ornamental eggs, to be precise, coated in a thin shell of precious-looking stone and layered in small jewels. He peers at one thoughtfully, an oval covered in black and golden patterns and embedded with obsidian and gold flakes. "Wonder," he muses, "if there ever was a bird that laid eggs like this. You ever wonder that?" He directs the question at the stall's owner.

19. - Top - End - #19

Meovai

Taking the parchment, Meovai thinks to himself Well, a party's a good way as any to spend the night before becoming one of the king's guards. I hope. and then answers Grub Thanks for the suggestion. I can wait a few hours, I suppose. Guess I'll go train first and eat second. With that he turns to leave in search of an open area where he can practice his stances and kata.

OOC: Meovai's in Step of the Wind for now; probably shift to Shield of Muscle once combat happens
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-09-19 at 11:42 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Slade
    You enter the tavern amidst great hustle and bustle. It appears that servants are preparing for the big party tonight as you were informed of earlier. You stand in the doorway for but a moment before Gurb calls to you and begins hobbling over as quickly as he can. Slade? I wasn't expecting you until the party started! What can I do for you old friend? His face is cheery for a moment until a few servants pass, then he speaks in a hushed voice. You are early. If you like, I can find you a place to wait until things wind down, but you really shouldn't just walk in the front door without giving me an idea of the plan. These are the types who will cut both our throats faster than-- another servant passes by and Gurb resumes his previous cheer. to the shopkeeper I say, if it were a third leg, not a crutch, I'd probably still have my wife! He laughs gregariously for a moment, elbowing you to join, then resumes his hush. So what's your plan?

Grishak
    After a few moments, you begin to realize that the source of your pain is coming from other people-- not everyone you meet, but some. It would seem that whatever disturbance is in the air is affecting other people as well, though most of them seem to be either doubled over in pain or suffering from eccentric insanity. The echoing screams from the Bazaar catch your attention. "BLUE WANTS RED, I'LL HAVE YOUR HEAD! HAHAHAHA. However, you can also sense a stronger source of your disturbance coming from the opposite direction, near the shore. There, a few hundred feet offshore lie a number of barges with homes built on them. Should you go, you'll see no obvious way to get there except to swim.

Harkaitz
    Miss Chase looks at you sideways. I don't suppose you're fooling with me, are you. The dreadfully simple king of the city has stated that in one week he will completely seal the city up. No one in, no one out-- that is, if the assassination attempts don't stop. That's why we've had our diviners watching the docks so carefully. Master Mantra wanted to be aware of any powerful wizards or sorcerers who entered the city in case... I really rather ought let the Master discuss this with you. We're almost there now. Miss Chase gestures forward to a large stone archway with iron gates. Beyond them lie a lush greenery, trees, bushes, grasses, and flowerbeds, lining cobblestone paths that wind between behemoth buildings. Miss Chase leads you through the Academy campus and towards a small tower that is barely visible from anywhere in the city, due largely in part to the giant buildings surrounding it.

Ka Yahn
    The old man spits at you and begins speaking in a tongue you can't immediately recognize. He laughs again, pats his stomach and yells "RED FOR ME, NONE FOR YOU DEMON! HAHAHA" He then takes off running as fast as he can down the bazaar, dodging people easily as he moves faster than most men a quarter his age could. Fortunately, his calls were largely ignored and no one seems to even notice you.

Barham
    The old human shopkeeper laughs at you a moment, then leans forwards. Don'tcha know nuffin? Them's Griffin eggs! Since ah like yer style so much, ah'll even see yah one uv de good'ns. Most uh these won't never hatch, but ah gots a good one er two if ye got th' drakes fer et!

Meovai
    Fortunately, the city is full of traveling vendors, and you are able to pick up a few pieces of fruit to tide you over. You wander around the city for a short while before finding a large open area in the slums. The lot is dusty and has some pieces of junk in it, but otherwise seems unused and perfect for your purposes. You spend a few minutes practicing your stances when a few neighborhood children come up and look at you with fear and confusion. You can't dance her mister! This lot belongs to that madman who scares all the children away from playing here! If you play here, he'll shoot his fire at you he will!

21. - Top - End - #21

BlueWizardGirl

Harkaitz

Harkaitz is somewhat puzzled.

"Shouldn't your diviners be watching the king, not the docks? It would be better to try to stop the assassins than simply to accept the closing of the city, wouldn't it?"

He sighs.

"Well, maybe Master Mantra will be able to explain it in some way that makes logical sense. I'll just ask him."
    Last edited by Ascension; 2008-09-20 at 01:29 PM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

He knew.
    Ka Yahn's eyes narrow.
    He knew and he was taunting him. That wouldn't stand- no, not at all. Ka Yahn's lip twitches instinctively, baring his canine teeth as he suppresses a scream of rage and instead just runs after the old man, shoving anyone who gets in his way aside. He uses minor flashes of his demonic power (but not enough to really give anyone a glimpse of what he's doing) to jump into the air and teleport past obstacles that would otherwise slow him down, trying to make it look acrobatic rather than magical. Still, his movement will likely attract attention, but he doesn't really care about that.
    He was going to rip out the old man's heart and watch him scream in agony as he died.

23. - Top - End - #23

At Gurb's prompting to laugh, Slade chuckles a bit, putting on the best fake smile he can manage--which probably isn't that convincing. Once the coast is clear, he whispers, "Reconnaissance from the shadows shall be my plan, I think. I doubt anyone here has eyes keen enough to see me should I not wish it, nor ears sharp enough to hear me. Blend with the shadows, and listen to them speak when they thing themselves alone. One can learn much from those who think their words private."

24. - Top - End - #24

Meovai

Coming to a ready position and smiling at the child, Meovai answers Well, he doesn't seem to be using it much right now and I've only got a little more left to do. Another fifteen more minutes of my exercises, which are a form of martial arts, though it can look like a dance when I don't have an opponent, and I'll leave the lot. I do thank you for the warning, though. He resumes his kata.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Barham Leight

"Griffin eggs," he muses. "Huh. Think o' that. Most eggs are dark colors, you know?" Barham looks up at the shopkeeper for the first time. "Gray, or brown. Colors like that. Birds lay 'em like that so they can stay hidden, keeps 'em from being eaten. Not griffins, though. Maybe they lay jewelled eggs so's people will want to have them and keep them safe. Like cuckoo birds. Maybe they're gettin' people to do the work for them so they don't have to."

His eyes stray up to the roof of the stall as he stares off into space. "Maybe not, though," he says thoughtfully. "Y'ever met a griffin?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Harkaitz
    Miss Chase smiles warmly, Anyone who's worked for the guild knows better than to question their directions, I am simply a messenger and a greeter. Let Master Mantra speak to you about this. She smiles again, leading you into the small tower. The interior resembles a lobby, surprisingly. Miss Chase leads you past secretaries and passing scholars and students to a narrow spiral staircase, which sways and creaks as you walk up it. Once at the top, she seats you in a comfortable waiting area and informs you that the Archmage will speak with you shortly.

Ka Yahn
    The old man bounds away at speeds almost inconceivable, you follow him closely and you're able to eventually track him around a corner and into a dark alley. You approach slowly and he draws a long, slender piece of metal, a wand you assume, and points it directly at you. His hideous laughter has yet to stop.

Slade
    Gurb laughs again, smiling warmly and pats you on the back. Yeah, termites I think. I'm glad you could come by and take a look. I think the crawlspace on the second floor might be where they nest. They've chewed up the crawlspace so badly that you can hear everything going on in the dinning room when you're up there. There are some holes big enough a man could see through. Please solve this problem or else you never know what terrible thing might happen.

Meovai
    The children look at you for a moment and scatter. As the sun begins to set, you think it might be time to head towards the inn if you're going to be in time for dinner.

Barham
    The shopkeeper smirks at you, Yeah, ah've seen a griffin, how do you think I got these? You callin' me a scammer kid? I've half a mind to call the Merch and we'll see if you don't get strung up for callin' ME a SCAMMER. Y'want that, do ya?!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

"Keep laughing while you can."
    A cruel smile spreads across Ka Yahn's face as he slows down at the entrance of the alley, red energy writhing over his body to begin forming his true appearance.
    "I'm going claw out your eyes and tear out your tongue."
    A flicking, serpent's tongue comes from his mouth with a hint of fire after it as horns grow from his head, his fiendish nature growing from him like plants from the ground.
    "And while you blindly and silently beg for mercy, I'll settle my claws into your chest."
    His arms are covered in the energy writhing across him, and two more arms grow below the first pair, all of them with clawed hands capable of crushing stone in their grasp.
    "Then, when you feel death coming for you, I will tear out your heart and watch it bleed into the gaping hole in your chest."
    Wings rip from his back, ethereal things that seem almost more like hovering, hanging tentacles covered in blood, an aura of abyssal might.
    Ka Yahn lunges forwards towards the man, swiping out with a claw.

Spoiler
    Show
    Invest essentia:
    3 in Girallon Arms
    2 in Phoenix Belt
    2 in Brassmane
    1 in Blood Talons
    2 in Pegasus Cloak

Initiative: (1d20+2)[13]

Charge at the old man on his turn:
    Attack: (1d20+20)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+15)[17]
    (If the man happens to be lawful, add (2d6)[8] damage. But I doubt he is.)

28. - Top - End - #28

Slade raises an eyebrow at Gurb's responce, smiling bemusedly. Certainly, he stands before a master of subtlety. "I shall see what I can do about that... I'll go ahead and take a look up there, actually; see what it looks like. I'm not sure how long I'll be." With that, he strides forward in search of the mentioned crawlspace--making certain no one is following him as he goes.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-09-20 at 05:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Barham Leight

"It seems we're having two entirely different conversations," Barhams replies peaceably, unfazed by the shopkeep's aggression. "You're worried about bein' accused of something, and I am simply trying to talk about griffins. I've never seen a griffin before, you understand. Don't know much about them, and I admit I am curious. Your conversation don't seem to be makin' you all that happy," he inclines his head to punctuate his point, "so why don't you join me in mine? Let's talk about griffins."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Ka Yahn
    You lunge at the man, who continues to laugh maniacally. He slides to the left as you slip and fall in front of him. He looks down at you and begins to howl. RED FOR ME, DEAD FOR YOU!

With that, he points the wand at you and unleashes it's power, firing three beams of fire into your back

Spoiler
    Show

Wand of Scorching Ray, two touch attacks
    (1d20+12)[17]
    (1d20+12)[25]
    Damage
    (4d6)[9]
    (4d6)[9]

He smiles over your body, assuming you dead regardless of whether he hit or not. His laughter grows louder and louder. MELQUIADES WILL BE VERY PROUD OF ME FOR THIS! RED FOR ME, RED FOR MASTER! THE AGENTS OF BLUE ARE THROUGH THIS DAY! TELL YOUR LITTLE MASTER HE CANNOT HAVE IT!

Slade
    You wander up the stairs, finding a row of doors. There is a fairly obvious compartment in the ceiling with a rope hanging down. Pulling the rope opens the door, causing a ladder to descend.

Barham
    The shopkeep smirks a bit and shakes the egg at you. He doesn't seem interested in talking. He tries to thrust it into your hands. Buy it or piss off!
    Last edited by ocato; 2008-09-20 at 06:06 PM.