New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Fate of Kas'arrata

Meovai

Putting a hand on Ursa's shoulder and pulling her away from the bodies, Meovai says quietly Yes, they are dead, but the things they have belong to their relatives now. These men are here to make sure that they get there. Turning to the guards and speaking at a normal volume. We're leaving now. Just trying to find out who these men were. They were all attacked before they could speak and I never learned who they were. We're leaving; no problems from us. Meovai begins moving towards the nearest exit and hopes Ursa walks with him.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-09-27 at 12:09 AM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Barham

Barham is both thoroughly irritated at the handling and worried that this may not be as benign as he thought. It wouldn't be the first time someone had tried to kidnap him and keep him captive, and he had an inkling that servants of the goddess of death might not approve of him, if they knew. Even without any of that, it smelled like trouble. He considers teleporting away, and decides against it. Firstly, it might annoy them if it didn't work, and secondly, he'd have to leave the city quick after that, given how influential they seemed to be.

Third, and probably most important, he still wanted to know what they were doing, and why they wanted him in particular. So he stands, dusting himself off and doing his best to keep calm. "You could have asked, you know," he says, with a note of what he would consider reproach in his voice, and which an uncharitable person would call complaint. "Mind telling me what this is all about?"
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Harkaitz

"Aquilon," Harkaitz answers smoothly, "Harkaitz Aquilon."

He can't stop his foot from tapping on the floor. He can't wait to see what sort of new knowledge may be found in the library of such a large Mage's Guild.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Meovai, Ursa
    Meovai steps back from the guards, who approach slowly with weapons drawn. They speak again in clear tones to both of you. If Captain Hobart catches you robbing the dead, we'll have to hang you. You scavengers better run or else you're in for a big hunk of trouble.

Barham
    The Knight-Captain stares down at you, his hand on his sword. He seems unsettled slightly. The High Priestess, however, is smiling warmly and appears rather pleased. I am Harpilla Groenig, perhaps you've heard of me. You have just been granted a rather important position. I'd like to congratulate you. You'll be sleeping here in the temple tonight... and tomorrow we'll see if we can't put your talents to use. She pauses a moment, then rests her hand on the Knight-Captain's shoulder. Of course, Harlowe doesn't trust you. He thinks we ought to kill you now and avoid the whole mess all together. I've told him you aren't going to be a mess. You aren't going to make a Liar out of an old woman like me, are you?

Harkaitz
    The receptionist runs through some files for a moment and then stops abruptly, looking up at you with a warm smile. Ah, a new member I see... and with full access to the Archmage's library already? You must be quite the man of importance. Please, by all means sir. With that she gestures to the large library. It would seem you have a full run of the place.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

5. - Top - End - #155

BlueWizardGirl

Harkaitz

"Thank you so very much, ma'am!"

Harkaitz is practically salivating as he sets foot in the library for the first time. He allows himself a moment just to breathe in the smell of the old books, to bask in the feeling of being there.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

The demon infested man stalks forwards to Gurb and Slade, watching them closely as he makes his presence known, speaking in a way that he hopes Gurb will understand, but will leave Slade mostly in the dark if he's ignorant.
    "I saw the action of your friends after you left. I have to say that the... weight... of their influence intrigued me. It seems I have been unaware of the authority that some in Kas'arrata wield.
    "I was wondering if I might offer my services to your little group. I assure you, you'd find my abilities comparable to what I saw earlier."

One might find that hard to believe no matter if they knew what he was talking about or not. Haru seems predominately present, making Ka Yahn look at best like a common laborer, and at worst a beggar. Gurb might doubt that he could equal the assassin they sent earlier, but Ka Yahn's earlier influence on him did hint at something very strange about the man.
    Slade is more likely to think he's just boasting.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Barham

"Reckon I'm not, ma'am," he says slowly, rubbing the back of his head where he'd been dumped against the wall, "but I have to say, dragging me through the streets is not the best way to begin our association. A bit of a blow to the dignity, you understand. Why'd you do it?" His voice is mild. He knows why he would have done it, if he'd done it at all, but he wants to see what her reasons were, or at least what she told him they were. Barham Leight had concluded a long time ago that you could learn a lot more about a person from what they didn't say than what they did say. There was always so much more of that, after all.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2008-09-27 at 02:18 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158

Meovai

Oh, this is just what I don't need. Curiosity killed the dumb goliath. Or at least his chances of guarding the king. Raising and opening his hands to show they're empty and backing away faster, Meovai says I know what this looks like, but it's not. Someone gets killed in front of you, you're curious who they are. Just some bad timing here. At this point, Meovai stops paying attention to whether or not Ursa's moving with him and just gets out of there and heads for the inn.

if she does stay with him:
    He'll explain why what happened happened on the walk to the inn and then rents her a room for the night.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Barbarian in the Playground

Grishak

<common>"Name Kanris. Am great sorceror. Greatest of my tribe. Not member. Asking for niceness to show me book, please."

He makes no threatening moves, and calmly stands there, his hidden eyes glancing around the place.

Spoiler
    Show

Autohypnosis to memorize the room at the top of the stairs as well, I want all the details I can get to teleport in later.
    (1d20+9)[13]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vampire Ninja Death Squirrel by Jacklu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Frankly, we're a bunch of nerds here, and we like to argue.
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger
    Grishak, Blue Psion Nomad
    Otheym, Warforged Ashworm Dragoon

10. - Top - End - #160

Grishak

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't want to screw up the awful roll in the previous post so I will double post

Activate Touchsight with no display - using it to also 'get a good look around'
    (1d20+20)[34] (against DC 18)
    Pump it a little bit to 80 feet for 9 pp - want to get as much as I can
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

11. - Top - End - #161

Slade

As Gurb speaks, the gnome quickly steps off the ship. "Then good day to you, Gurb." He then turns and begins walking back to where he'd been sleeping for his time in the city. This day had been frustratingly fruitless, and he will be glad to be done with it.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Harkaitz
    You find a wide variety of books on just about every subject and a wonderfully quiet atmosphere in which to enjoy it. Other than the commotion starting downstairs, that is.

Meovai, Ursa
    The two of you decide a few coins and a mystery isn't worth dying (or killing) for, and make your way back to the Inn Meovai is staying at. The old woman who runs this is seems to like Meovai and offers Ursa's room for free, so long as Meovai is still staying there. She smiles warmly and makes up the beds. In the morning, you rise early and she has prepared a large breakfast for all of the patrons of the inn, which is delicious. You have a few hours before the meeting with Hobart.

Grishak
    The woman stares at you funnily and points out the door. There's a nonguild member library down the way boy, other than that I can't help you. She looks very uneasy until a rather large man wearing armor and carrying a spear arrives with a much smaller and thinner man wearing only a robe. The smaller man asks in a plain voice, Is everything all right here?

Ka Yahn and Slade
    Slade steps off the ramp that leads to the boat and begins to walk away. As he does so, a simple looking man rushes past him and begins speaking with Gurb. It would seem the plucky halfling extended his offer to more than other person! Gurb sighs a bit and nods, then speaks plainly. You just r'member when an' if stuff goes wrong, it was yer old pal Gurb who got you off this rock. I'm consid'rin' you in debt fer a favor. With that he hands you one of the heavy bags he's carrying and heads up the plank towards the ship.

Barham
    The woman kneels down to eye level and smiles warmly. I couldn't quite make sense of it at the tavern, but you're some sort of seer, aren't you. Yes, one who can tell things that most cannot-- even my diviners cannot keep their eye fixed on that man..."Chorus" you called him. If you can see that which they cannot, you are of value to me. If what you've told me is true, he very well could be a threat to every leader in the city-- myself included. She pauses and looks up to Harlowe. You wouldn't want my death on poor Captain Harlowe's conscience, would you?

13. - Top - End - #163

Grishak

<common>"Only want look at books. Need research. She say no," gesturing to the receptionist. "Me not from here, why me no look at books." The goblin truly looks like a poor, confused, no-so-bright simpleton, with his simple staff and robe.

"Me just want to learn," wandering over to the foot of the stairs, gesturing upwards.

Spoiler
    Show

Extend Touchsight to full range upstairs, take a good look around
    Autohypnosis (c'mon baby, gimme a good roll!) (1d20+9)[22]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

The demon suppresses a scowl, but does not disagree. He'd have to give something to get something, after all- it was the way of the universe. He'd just have to use this link to his advantage as well. Ka Yahn picks up the bag offered to him with a single hand, barely thinking about it as he contemplates picking up Gurb as well, just to get them moving faster.
    After all, the demon was strong, and had nothing of his own to carry. Still, he senses Gurb might just take offense to that, so he just walks along beside him.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Barham Leight

"I wouldn't, ma'am," Barham says, still mild. "But I always preferred to think of myself as an asker of questions rather than a seer, and as an experienced question-asker, I can't help but notice you ain't exactly answering mine. I can guess you want help tracking down a killer easy enough, specially if he might be after you. What I actually asked was why you didn't just ask me to come with you, seein' as I was being accommodating at the time. So let's try again. Why'd you do it that way?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Just thought I'd note that Barham is standing now, unless someone kept him from getting up.

16. - Top - End - #166

Slade

The gnome pays the newcomer no mind--even though he clearly understands the man's round-about words to refer to the events at the inn; enough people were there that it doesn't strike him as odd. He continues onwards to his place of rest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Slade would prefer either a small, quiet inn with keepers who don't ask too many questions, or a secluded place that's difficult to get to where he could squat for free. Since he's been in town for a bit now, I'd imagine he'd already have access to such accommodations.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-09-27 at 05:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Grishak
    The two men look down on you with simple smiles of pity. Come along then, we'll take you to the campus library. You can look at all the pretty books you want there. These books, however, belong to big chief wizard man. He only lets members of his tribe look at them. Come along then?

Ka Yahn
    Gurb leads you to a moderately sized ship, which departs a mere moment after you board. He speaks to a few of the men on the ship, almost all of which seem to know him. You note that he keeps referring to you as his 'servant' in explaining who you are. He leads you down beneath the deck and into a small bunking area, where he quickly slips into a hammock. Get some sleep, pal. It's a long trip to the fleet.

Barham
    The woman smiles at you and turns, speaking over her shoulder. I have found that negotiations often go much more smoothly when the person you are negotiating with is more worried about saving his skin then making a little coin.

Slade
    You find a quiet inn and sleep peacefully and unbothered.

18. - Top - End - #168

PirateCaptain

Ursa and Brun

Letting Meovai take the lead, Ursa leaves the inn. She looks over at a large brown bear that is waiting patiently outside, and the bear begins following the pair. She says, "That is Brun...he is my friend."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

19. - Top - End - #169

Grishak

<common>"You help me see books? Oh thank you!" 'Kanris' gleefully follows the men out the door, and accompanies them to the common campus library.

As soon as the men leave his side and are out of sight and earshot, he spits upon the ground. To debase myself so. Only for the most important tasks....

All necessary though. We now know the interior layout of the private library.

I do hate playing to stereotypes, but people are easy to manipulate when they see what they expect to see. Mages even moreso; the more 'intelligent' they are, the easier it is.

All true. But we must play it out to the end.

True, let us finish this charade.

'Kanris' finishes his work at the campus library, reviewing the tomes available for the uses of rare gems in ceremonies, and leaves by foot in time to get to the meeting with General Hogart. Passing by the Guild Library on his way, he sneers I will be back. I gave you a chance, now prepare to pay the price.

Spoiler
    Show

Continue autohypnosis to study the interior of the Guild library with Touchsight to 80' (1d20+9)[19] - just looking for any last details I haven't already gotten
    Also, I will research the blood opal in the other library, I just don't anticipate actually finding anything. Will look for all sorts of gems also, don't want to give anything away (just in case )
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

Ka Yahn frowns.
    "If being your servant is a ruse to get me here, I'll tolerate it for now... but if you expect me to act as your servant, you'd best count your favor used."
    He looks for a place to sleep, mostly wanting to get settled as opposed to actually sleeping just yet.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2008-09-27 at 09:05 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

BlueWizardGirl

Harkaitz

*There's no time to search this whole library myself,* Harkaitz thinks, *although I'd certainly love to...*

He summons his Prying Eyes again.

"Eyes, disperse and search the library for books on local history, military history, tactics, and/or strategy."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, there's probably a card catalogue or something, but isn't this more fun?

There are (1d4+10)[14] eyes.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Ursa and Brun
    "That is Brun...he is my friend."
    Meovai

Unsure of the proper procedure for greeting someone's pet bear, Meovai simply waves at bear and says Pleased to meet you, Brun. before turning back to Ursa. I hope you found your stay at the inn pleasant. They're usually easy to find in most cities, though they will usually require you to pay for the stay, with something like this. He hands Ursa 4 gold pieces, 9 silver pieces and 10 copper pieces. I never got a chance to ask last night; what are you doing here in the city anyway?
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Ka Yahn
    Gurb looks at you with a bit of disgust. Such a creature you are, I can't even believe it. I get you on the best boat in town and all I ask is for you to pretend to by my boy and carry some things and you start gettin' uppity. He rolls over in his hammock and groans a bit. Do you know what it is we're headed to? I get the feelin' you think this is just a bunch of shop keeps and salts we're headed to meet.

Grishak
    Your research in the library was (*rolls*) fairly fruitful. You discover mention that the blood opals you seek are actually very powerful conduits of psionic energies. More importantly, it would seem that based on hints at some unnamed ritual, whoever left the gem behind had done so carelessly, and would need to retrieve the lost stone in order to complete a secondary ritual required to cement the actions of the first. The books you find are old and in poor condition and most or all actual description of the ceremony has either been inked out or is smudged or damaged beyond reproach. However, you have gleaned enough information to know that something rather diabolical is in possession of a wealth of blood opals to rival your own-- and is now most likely hunting you vehemently to reclaim the one it lost. As you leave the library, the crisp morning air reminds you that the private library is probably its least crowded/well-guarded of the day-- and time may be of the essence.

Harkaitz
    Your research was (*rolls*) very fruitful. You find a few old musty tomes on a war fought here in the city when it was called Corpus Hartus, hundreds of years ago. Much like today, a power struggle for the fate of the city occurred directly after the death of an elderly and mostly useless monarch. The city was almost destroyed when the perceived weakness of its rulers was noticed by bands of powerful and deadly giants, leading other monstrous humanoids such as bugbears, trolls, and just about anything else that is wicked in both size and temperament. In fact, the small inland lake where the Barges lie is thought to have been created during the long process of excavating the corpse of a giant who fell during the battle. Despite the havoc, this threat allowed then-leader of the Mage's guild, Jalel Maranta, to assume the throne and take control of the city, which flourished under a golden age for many generations thereafter with the help of an unnamed ally. After researching many tomes and books, you find that it is almost impossible to find any mention of the city before "Maranta's War," such as its founding or who the generous allies of Maranta could have been. You also notice a slight intriguing connection between the names Maranta (then-head of the Mage's Guild) and Mantra (Current leader). Perhaps the Archmage himself would be able to further enlighten you.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

The demon pauses, then turns back towards Gurb and stands over him, looking down at him with now flaming, abyss tainted eyes. A menacing aura has grown around him, and he looks far more than the little peasant that he appeared to be a moment before. Everything about him is, well, terrifying. With a low growl he reaches out with an arm which suddenly seems encased with red light that forms an even larger arm- a clawed arm with unearthly strength that lifts the crippled halfing into the air to stare down at Ka Yahn. Haru's face is still there, but it almost seems twisted and distorted by Ka Yahn's intense presence- far more dangerous and capable than the puny peasant.
    "I know how I appear to you, halfing, but I am not some pitiful little man who begs for the table scraps that others toss him. My power is strong, and far more than you could ever dream of!"
    Fire flickers in Ka Yahn's eyes and he drags the halfling closer, staring down at his tiny form, unearthly energies and auras whirling around him like a cloak, or a veil ready to be torn away. It's clear that there is something about Ka Yahn that is nearly incomprehensible to mortal eyes- something lurking beneath the flesh of Haru that can rise up and twist the world further towards its purpose before subsiding again, hidden and discrete.
    "These eyes peer into the future, tearing away at the shadows that hide what will be, and these hands take life as they will. I am no mere pawn to be used idly, and if you refuse to accept that, there will be trouble between us."
    He drops the halfling back down onto his hammock and steps back, his demonic presence sinking beneath Haru's visage again, though it seems more like a sheathed knife now that it has been revealed once.
    "There is more to both of us than meets the eye, Gurb. You have the connections and the understanding of an organization that is poised for greatness, and I have the might to carry out the plans that will get them to that place.
    "Belittle me, and you lose the chance to go further and higher than you've ever gone. Work with me, and we both gain something that the other needs. You know what you're doing here, but your injury prevents you from carrying out the acts. My power is great, but I lack a direction and a purpose."

Ka Yahn turns away from Gurb, crossing arms behind his back as he looks towards a wall, thinking quietly to himself. After a moment more he speaks.
    "I will give you time to consider what I have said here, if you need it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (I forgot to add in his +4 relative size modifier to Gurb, so the link shoes it as +13 and 24.)
    1d20+17=28
    Touch Attack for grapple: 1d20 18=23
    Grapple Check to lift him into the air:
    1d20+24=41

25. - Top - End - #175

BlueWizardGirl

Harkaitz

*Any doubts I may have had about my actions have been cleared up by this history,*
    Harkaitz thinks, *The Mage's Guild did rule this city once before, and it was a golden age! I'll need to speak with Mantra about this... particularly about his relationship to this 'Maranta'... but first, I need to know what brought that age to an end...*

If there are any unreturned Eyes, and if you can do this, he will repurpose them to search for records of Maranta's later reign and/or the Mage's Guild's fall from power. If not, he'll just search for them himself.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176

Spoiler
    Show
    As you leave the library, the crisp morning air reminds you that the private library is probably its least crowded/well-guarded of the day-- and time may be of the essence.
    I can take a hint

Also, in case it comes up, the new opal is in the bag with the rest of them in the glove of storing, wrapped in a piece of paper so I can tell it from the others.

Grishak

As he passes by the private library, his thoughts are interrupted. Friend, maybe we should do it now. Time may be of the essence, especially if someone is hunting for us to get the blood opal back.

As always friend, you supply good counsel. Very well, let us do this now. Prepare yourself.

Grishak rounds the corner to make sure no one sees him, and takes a moment to prepare himself. He then disappears into thin air -

And reappears deep in the racks of the private library. He concentrates on his psi-sight, looking for anyone noticing his presence. If anyone saw him appear, he has an ability already to mind on a hair trigger, waiting for any sign of someone alarmed.

He conducts his search quickly using the knowledge he gained from the other library and his expanded senses (due to the Touchsight) to find the books he needs.

Spoiler
    Show

All of them with no display, I should auto succeed on all of them
    Touchsight 5 pp (round before I go)
    Teleport 9 pp (standard)
    Quickened Cloud Mind (if needed) 9 pp Will DC 20; expend Solut's psionic focus
    Move action to search for the Tome I am looking for
    Last edited by Meat Shield; 2008-09-29 at 01:02 PM. Reason: tags
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Ka Yahn
    Gurb looks at you uneasily. We have an understanding, it seems. Just don't think ol' Gurb is here for you to manipulate and I'll give you your due respect in return. I've a bit of standing in the Shipping Guild-- enough to send you for a swim if it tickles me to do so. Let's just make sure we understand each other. I won't rub you wrong if you don't rub me.

Harkaitz
    You continue to research the history of Kas'arrata, finding a few bits of information. It would seem that the fall of the mage's guild rule came about as a function of their own comeuppance. Having established power in Corpus Hartus, the city grew far beyond its original borders thanks to the combined rule of the Maranta dynasty and their unnamed allies. However, as the Maranta family grew throughout the years, each new king of the city was more arrogant and less powerful, assuming his name as enough backing to cover his actions. In fact, as the ages progressed, the Maranta family's interest in magic became greatly diminished and their corruption became that of legends. It was once the Maranta's had finally fallen completely from grace and that the city was in a state of slow decay that their allies, still unnamed, finally grew tired and attempted to lead the people of the city in a great rebellion. The Maranta's called upon the aid of a powerful local chuch, the followers of Wee Jas and together the Maranta Ruling family and the Jasite church were able to crush the rebels. Over the years, however, the ruling family became less and less influential under the powerful influence of the church...

28. - Top - End - #178

Also, if the first cloud mind does not work or there is more than one person who sees me, cloud minds all around on the next round, including another quickened one if need be.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

Ka Yahn grins evilly at Gurb, laying back on one of the hammocks as he gets ready to rest for the night.
    "You have a deal."
    The demon closes his eyes and crosses his arms over his chest, sending his spirit to the mother of Demons, Pale Night, in order to report his deeds and actions this day...

30. - Top - End - #180

BlueWizardGirl

Harkaitz

*And the dynasty failed when they turned away from the study of magic... a perfect argument for the necessity of the Guild's rise... no, return to power.*

Satisfied with what he has found, Harkaitz goes about the business of returning the hefty tomes to their proper places. As he does this he notices that the goblin from earlier has made it into the library.

"Oh, hello there, friend!" he calls to him in goblin, "I hope you're not having too much trouble finding what you're looking for... I could give you a hand if you'd like. I served as a librarian for well over a century, I ought to be able to find my way around here."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show