New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast

Thread: Goblins

1. - Top - End - #631
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Default Re: Goblins

Nail got nailed pretty quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Is it sure the Minotaur is dead at all? When I first saw the page with the Minotaur, I interpreted it as "he tries to open the gate, is being pelted with bolts, starts to dispair as he is unable to open it and his strength is starting to fade, then the ogre and ettin come to help him". It never occured to me he might be dead until reading it here in this thread.

Today's page was very much necessary from a writer's point of view. After being repeatedly shown to be a rather petty and short-sighted (figuratively speaking) man, and being outsmarted by Thaco, some display of badassery on the Goblinslayer's part was much needed to emphasise what a great menace he is. This page served this purpose formidably. Well done, Thunt.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

3. - Top - End - #633
    Bugbear in the Playground

But... he got hit with about 20 crossbow bolts! Isn't that enough to kill a minotaur?

And he disappeared since panel 4 of this strip... maybe he was summoned and went poof?

Anyone else thinks Not-Nale's exit was a bit... lame? I just think adding a petty insult at the end of your last line is a bit sad.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

4. - Top - End - #634
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Webox View Post
    But... he got hit with about 20 crossbow bolts! Isn't that enough to kill a minotaur?
    Normal Minotaurs have 39 hit points so yes 20+ bolts at 1d8 to 1d10 damage are likely to take him down.

However he also has +5 natural armor, so many people would construe this to mean that any attack that missed his AC (14 + cover) by up to 5 would 'harmlessly' stick in his hide rather then miss entirely. Add to that the further abstraction of hit points in general and the cinematic nature of Goblins, and it's reasonable to assume he survived and was pulled or moved away from the gate.
    all's well that ends well,
    and we all die alone

5. - Top - End - #635

And he disappeared since panel 4 of this strip... maybe he was summoned and went poof?
    So he was a Maulotaur summoned through a Dark Servant artifact.
    Anyone else thinks Not-Nale's exit was a bit... lame? I just think adding a petty insult at the end of your last line is a bit sad.
    Well, Nail did not expect it to be his last line. In fact, he expected to be able to deliver some payback, but totally drew a rubber check. I guess Nails aren't as tough as they're cracked up to be...

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

I care much less about what the rules say than what the comic actually shows, and what it showed was the minotaur being hit by bolts that were hardly able to penetrate his fur and skin, much less reach vital organs. He still might have died from blood loss, those were a lot of tiny wounds, but in this case I imagine Thunt would likely have depicted actual severe bleeding - note how in the strip itself, there is only very little blood to be seen.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

7. - Top - End - #637

Also, in that world, people have numbers floating over their heads when they're in the negative hp. And you can't die from blood loss, no matter how many bleeding wounds you have, as long as you are in the positive.

8. - Top - End - #638

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    I care much less about what the rules say than what the comic actually shows, and what it showed was the minotaur being hit by bolts that were hardly able to penetrate his fur and skin, much less reach vital organs. He still might have died from blood loss, those were a lot of tiny wounds, but in this case I imagine Thunt would likely have depicted actual severe bleeding - note how in the strip itself, there is only very little blood to be seen.
    I wasn't really talking about the rules, I said "about 20 bolts" to emphasize that the minotaur was left as a pin cushion (and thats almost the total number of "Thups" shown).
    I still think that the minotaur is dead. Like Gez said, when you're in negative hitpoints in the goblinverse, those numbers show above your head and, normally, characters faint when in negative hitpoints. But there are no numbers floating over the minotaurs head, thus leading me to believe he's dead.

But.
    Since the minotaur just disappeared after being struck by the bolts and we're just shown monsters swarming without any apparent obstacle (a corpse that big should hinder their movement, since they'd have to go around it or step on the body, but that doesn't seem to be the case, judging from panel 5) where the minotaur used to be, and a bunch of small and some medium-sized monsters should have a hard time moving that thing.

And so, I stand by Gez's theory of that being an actual Maulotaur, and it disappeared after recieving much damage, or its time ran out.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

I wasn't really talking about the rules, I said "about 20 bolts" to emphasize that the minotaur was left as a pin cushion (and thats almost the total number of "Thups" shown).
    I still think that the minotaur is dead. Like Gez said, when you're in negative hitpoints in the goblinverse, those numbers show above your head and, normally, characters faint when in negative hitpoints. But there are no numbers floating over the minotaurs head, thus leading me to believe he's dead.
    A perfectly valid conclusion; I, on the other hand, draw the rather polar opposite conclusion and think rather that the minotaur was not put into negative hit points by that barrage in the first place. After all, while it may have turned him into a pincushion, considering the respective size of minotaur and bolts, that's hardly more than a glorified acupuncture for him.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ettin in the Playground

Those are actually really good points. I assumed the bolts were causing lethal damage due to how many hit him.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #641

A perfectly valid conclusion; I, on the other hand, draw the rather polar opposite conclusion and think rather that the minotaur was not put into negative hit points by that barrage in the first place. After all, while it may have turned him into a pincushion, considering the respective size of minotaur and bolts, that's hardly more than a glorified acupuncture for him.
    Good Point.
    I was thinking along the lines of "shoot anything enough times and it will die"

Maybe I'll ask thunt in the live feed if I get the chance... The way the minotaur just disappeared leaves us unable to come to a definite conclusion (but I guess that if you go by tropes, there was one that said something like "no body, not death"...)

12. - Top - End - #642
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

In the third panel, you can see how long the bolts are compared to him by the one breaking on his horn, so all the bolts went in pretty deep. And he had about four of those in his forehead, so I think his brain has been skewered.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

Thunt also seems to be using a variant combat system where locational damage actually means something (like the broken arm).
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hands_Of_Blue View Post
    In the third panel, you can see how long the bolts are compared to him by the one breaking on his horn, so all the bolts went in pretty deep. And he had about four of those in his forehead, so I think his brain has been skewered.
    Hmm, good point... Still fairly little blood for that, but yeah, this broken bolt makes this seem a lot more dangerous.
    I guess we will have to wait for an official statement.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

15. - Top - End - #645
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't think I buy it, foreshortening and all. We don't really have a good angle to see how far any of them went in. And if they didn't go in very far, it would line up pretty neatly to those bloody bolts lying on the ground.

Who would bother pulling bolts out of a corpse anyways?
    I had a witty quote, but it was too long, so you get this instead.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by High-Chancellor View Post
    Don't think I buy it, foreshortening and all. We don't really have a good angle to see how far any of them went in. And if they didn't go in very far, it would line up pretty neatly to those bloody bolts lying on the ground.

Who would bother pulling bolts out of a corpse anyways?
    The minotaur was hit by at least 25 bolts (i did count). There are less then 10 broken piecec of bolts on the ground and amount of bloob is minimal. If anyone would pull bolts out of the minotaur, there would be more of it (bolts and blood). It rather looks like some of the bolts were broken and minotaur draged away (or he walked on his own).
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

17. - Top - End - #647

Changing the subject a little:

Did anyone save the strip with the original "It hurts... It hurts like a sickness!"?

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

Changing the subject a little:

Did anyone save the strip with the original "It hurts... It hurts like a sickness!"?
    Yes, I did.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

19. - Top - End - #649
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes, I did.
    On that subject, if you are going to send it to anyone, I want a copy as well, so I can compare it...
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

20. - Top - End - #650

Yes, I did.
    In that case, could send me a copy please?

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

Umm... well, I would, but the forum does not reveal your e-mail addresses, and it does not seem to be possible to attach files when sending mails via the forum itself (or, if it is, I don't see how).
    I don't want to upload it anywhere - this is Thunt's property, after all - so I think the only way would be if you PMed me your e-mail addresses (or instructed me how one can send files via forum, if it is possible after all).
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

22. - Top - End - #652
    Dwarf in the Playground

you could always go to the goblins live feed and ask thunt himself if you can upload it for posterity.
    I had a witty quote, but it was too long, so you get this instead.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Barbarian in the Playground

My email is [email protected]

(yes, I do trust quite a little google's spam filter quite a lot. )
    Last edited by Felius; 2009-02-20 at 11:07 PM.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

Strip in question sent to both of you.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

25. - Top - End - #655

Again, thanks a lot, Winterwind.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

Good news: Chief has a friend. Bad news: guards found him.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #657
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

You know, I think I rather like Kin.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

28. - Top - End - #658

I liked her comment about leverage. Chief's clumsy attempt at operating the capstan ironically echoes Thaco's previous comment about how "our best goblin" is on the problem.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I liked her comment about leverage. Chief's clumsy attempt at operating the capstan ironically echoes Thaco's previous comment about how "our best goblin" is on the problem.
    At first I was like "doesn't he need like, six people?"

When I looked at panel 1 and 2 again, I realised exactly -how- he was attempting to move it.

That's hilarious.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

30. - Top - End - #660

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    Good news: Chief has a friend. Bad news: guards found him.
    Worse News: Kin pretty much says outright here that she's only trying to enable her own escape. Not exactly the deus ex machina we need to get our heroes out of this jam.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]