New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Goblins

1. - Top - End - #751
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins

Excessively Embellished Formatting
    This refers to using different colors for different words, using formatting to appear smarter than someone or generally going overboard with formatting. It’s not using bold, underline, paragraphs and lists to make your post look nice and be easy to read. If your post looks like this one overall, you’re fine. But if your post has sentences that look like this one, you're not.

@Toma:
    It is not strictly forbidden to do what you do. If the sentences switch colors, font and other formatting every other word, it would be forbidden. But this is not really about the rules. Nobody posts his/her whole posts in a different colour than black. It is the forum norm. That means that your posts stand out. I understand that you do it to show your identity, just as I have a custom avatar, but those are generally accepted. And because so many have them, they can easily be ignored. So identity or not, your posts stand out. And it is not weird to get comments on that.

Looking at your post again, I must admit that you have taken your arguments in a new direction.

On the subject of the comic:
    How is it possible to miss that creature hanging there in the air. It's huge, not in his natural cave habitat, so that he stands out extra. (I assume that because of his dark colour) If the soldiers had been close by when it cast levitate, they would have seen him go up. If they were far away, they would have seen him in their peripheral view.

-Battleburn

thanx to Abardam for these fantastic Erfworldstyle sigatars
    For the awesome 'The Wolf'-sigatar I thank Sampi.
    Kd7sov, thank you for the Girl Genius, Agatha Heterodyne avatar

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ettin in the Playground

It could ba argued that they didn't see the Drider levitate due to being distracted by other creatures (I often don't notice enemies who I'm not shooting when playing Time Crisis games, for instance, so there's a chance that these guys suffer from target fixation as well). Alternatively,the fact that they don't have Spot as a class skill was ahuge problem for them here.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #753
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes: Back to the subject of the comic.

The answer may simply be that the drider is incredibly ninja. I simply took it as, the guards were distracted while they were approaching to fight it (perhaps by their comrades entrenched in threads) then stepped out of the plane of views they were likely to look in. (in this case up.)

I'm fairly certain being part spider gives driders a bonus to Ninja. A circumstantial one if anything else, given spiders are essentially natures ninja.
    I had a witty quote, but it was too long, so you get this instead.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Maybe the guards just suffer from two dimensional thinking.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

It's possible that the drider was behind them when he cast levitate, and then stayed above them. They wouldn't have seen him, and other people busy fighting monsters wouldn't have paid attention.

@ toma: your posts are definitely more civil when you're not mad. I guess I'll have to take it into account next time and remember you're not just a troll, but someone who might have anger management issues (not that you're the only one >.>)

Thunt posting sketches could be interesting indeed. He has done that for incentives before.
    I think there are a few problems with that though.

1) His real "sketches" are in notebooks, what he calls his "blueprints". He won't show these to us because the sketches are also full of comments and quote on future pages. He probably wouldn't want to scan them for the same reason.
    However he did for instance show on screen sketches of Pan and Yala (the ogre and kobold) and I'm sure these would be appreciated as incentives or fillers. He might include them in the printed or PDF book, I guess.

2) When he draw the page, he doesn't first draw a rough sketch of the whole page, then goes to the top and start drawing more. He starts on panel one, and draws it completely, from sketch to final pencil. Then he goes to the next panel.
    Posting online a whole page done that way would require him to either:
    a) stop at the sketch stage for each panel and scan it before going further... which would be tricky, because even within a panel he starts, for instance with a character, from a basic circle for the head to the final character, then draws another character on the page... So even each panel would need to be scanned several times to have it all as a sketch.
    b) change his habits, and starts by doing a rough sketch on the whole page before going further. Although this has clear advantages (such as knowing if his picture fits in the panel exactly how he wants in advance, and not after he's drawn half the panel already), it requires breaking habits, which is hard and takes a lot of time. It would probably make Thunt slower for a while until he gets used to it, if he did choose that option.

Another point is that you seem to be mistakenly thinking thunt got that type of mail only this update, and only after the update had been posted. That's not true.
    He gets such mail every week, and, more importantly, gets more mail if he posts a blog saying he'll be late than if he simply is late.
    So I think sometimes, he can't bring himself to write a blog post, knowing that he'll get mail insulting him the next day, while if he doesn't write the blog, he will still get mail insulting him, but a lot less, and a lot later (starts when he's officially late rather than when he posts the blog).

I realise it seems unfair to people who don't send him that type of mail at all, and would probably want to know, but I can understand why sometimes he wouldn't feel up to it, especially when he's already beating himself up for being late (he always thinks he'll be faster than he actually is. If you come to the feed when he starts the update, he'll always say "oh, yeah, this update will be done by day X for sure" and he's all happy, and sure enough as it gets closer, he's less and less cheerful. It can actually be heartbreaking.).

I think now that there is the feed and twitter, he can justify not posting blog entries. There is also the fact that he always hopes until the last second that he'll be able to update on time. The last few days before update day he stays up until 4,5 am, even 8 once.

On the Goblins forums (I'm Avistew), I started posting up how far he was every day, since I go to the feed often or could check the archives of the previous day.
    I ended up stopping. It wasn't too much effort, but it started being hard. People were waiting for the reports with hope and I always felt like I was going to disappoint them. Plus, I could never answer "when do you think the update will be up?" because it changes so much for one page to the next. The drawing can take half or double the time. The inking time usually depends on the drawing time, but not always. For instance, last update he drew the drider, creature he's not used to drawing. He had to redraw panels a few times before he got it right. Of course that didn't change inking time since he only inked it once.
    Then after both inkings, you have the colouring, and that, I can't predict at all. For one thing, when it's a two pager Danielle will start colouring page one while Thunt is drawing page two. By the time he's done page two, he switched to the colouring effects of page one. So how long Danielle takes matters less, since she can colour a page faster than thunt can draw and ink twice the next one (unless the first page has a crowd and the second one only close shots or something)
    When it's just one page, though, colour can vary so much, and since we don't see Danielle do it, I have no idea what's longer than what. And when it's Thunt's turn to add his colouring, well...
    Sometimes, it takes him less than one day to do all of his share of the colouring. Sometimes, in the whole day, he won't be able to finish one panel. That was especially true during the Battle of Wonder, with all the special effects.

So, it's hard to predict. For me, and for him. And he's a perfectionist, he admits to already do a lot less than he wish he could in special effects and shading (but then there would just be one page a month), and I think that's the minimum he'll do.

Would it help Thunt to be faster and more efficient? Absolutely. Does he deserve to be insulted? I don't think so. Will he take steps into being more efficient and faster... I'm not sure.
    All the solutions I can think of would require being slower for a while until he's finally faster. Although it would be good in the long run, he's still trapped in a update-to-update kind of schedule where he already draws every day without a day off to make sure he's not (too) late.
    Anything that makes him slower for a bit, I can see him refusing, especially if he's not 100% sure it will make him faster in the long run.

(Sorry for that huge post that's 90% not about the comic itself.)

6. - Top - End - #756
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nicely done on thunts part! It's a HORRIBLE place for a single page update, and I love it.

At the same time, he makes up some lost time. Less than 7 days for this update.

I'm really starting to wish he didn't just keep killing off characters that seem fun though. Though I guess he might not kill these two yet... he gets props either way.
    Last edited by High-Chancellor; 2009-03-16 at 04:20 AM.
    I had a witty quote, but it was too long, so you get this instead.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ettin in the Playground

Just thinking about a discussion we had a few weeks back about the availability of Regeneration and Raise Dead spells; does anyone know if Thunt bars those from his games? I've just been curious about it for a while due to 1 person going as far to say that including Regenerate spells would make it less gritty (it looks as though a lot of the ex-prisoners need that spell badly ).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

@ High Chancellor: Yeah, he was annoyed about cutting here :P But apparently is he didn't, he would have had the same problem next update or something. I think it's an okay cut here, personally, but I've never understood why he won't put just one page at a time. I respect his choice and his wanting to follow his vision, but I have yet to find a page of Goblins that couldn't stand alone as an update (with a nice cliffhanger in many cases)

@ Tempest Fennac: I can't give you a sure answer, of course, but I don't think he'd have barred these. However, it's possible that they'd be extremely hard to get.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ettin in the Playground

You're probably right, Lissou. My reaction to GS being as upset as he was over Saril's death was either that diamonds are incredibly rare in that world, or that Brassmoon lacks a level 13 Cleric, which would be strange considering how important the city appears to be combined with the GAP's rapid level gain (I'd assume that normal races would gain Exp. equally as quickly looking at how Thorgarth and Minmax didn't appear to take long to reach level 2 unless they did stuff before the Kobold incident which was mentioned when they were introduced).
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    You're probably right, Lissou. My reaction to GS being as upset as he was over Saril's death was either that diamonds are incredibly rare in that world, or that Brassmoon lacks a level 13 Cleric, which would be strange considering how important the city appears to be combined with the GAP's rapid level gain (I'd assume that normal races would gain Exp. equally as quickly looking at how Thorgarth and Minmax didn't appear to take long to reach level 2 unless they did stuff before the Kobold incident which was mentioned when they were introduced).
    It also said in the comic that most adventurers die before they reach level 3. Reaching level 13 might be rarer than in your average DnD game, and it's possible most of Brassmon doesn't actually have PC classes.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd forgotten that bit about levels (I'd agree about PC classes being rare among the general populaton, though). To be fair, I tend to have a lot of relatively high level Clerics in y games, so it's probably me assuming everyone else is the same.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

I've got one question: who got smashed in the last frame? Was it the dwarf charging, or the legless kobold? The perspective makes it less than clear, especially considering the kobold's expression.

13. - Top - End - #763

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbration View Post
    I've got one question: who got smashed in the last frame? Was it the dwarf charging, or the legless kobold? The perspective makes it less than clear, especially considering the kobold's expression.
    The way I read it, nobody. He's blind and was relying on the kobold to know where to strike. Now that he has lost this guidance, he's vainly flailing around and striking at the wind (or the ground, in this case). Notice the lack of blood.

The kobold's expression is because she realized she's going to be cut in half by an angry dwarf with an axe (as if she could afford to lose more bits of herself) and her big friend is going to be killed as he cannot defend himself anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbration View Post
    I think Pan just smashed where the human used to be. He must have known there was one around there because not only did Yala tell him there were two of them, but he dipped his sword into him (and therefore doesn't have a weapon anymore, at least).
    Said guard is all confused at seeing the ogre just punching the ground, which is another sign that he didn't hit anything. So now they know the ogre is blind.

Meanwhile, behind Pan and to his right (our left), Yala is defenseless on the ground and the dwarf is getting close to her. Chances are Pan isn't aware of it, it's not even sure if he's realised Yala fell yet.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Wait, so Yala is legless, mute and about to get axed? It's her first comic and I already feel horrible for her.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

Hope Yala doesn't die. And the ogre too.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

Not sure about how suggestion works, but maybe the Dwarf will ignore Yala considering him/her as nothing more than cannon fodder (the poor thing has no legs for crying out loud) and go after the ogre.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know, Thunt isn't exactly known for having problems with killing likeable minor characters, so I guess Yala and her ogre friend (Pan?) are in for it.

But whatever happens to them, I hope it happens fast enough to be resolved fast.
    Honestly, there still is the situation at the gate and Thaco being chased by Goblinslayer. That's enough material for 20+ pages already.

19. - Top - End - #769

They were doing it wrong anyway. It's the crippled kobold that must be blind, not the strong warrior guy.

(For those who don't know, the "blind kobold" is the name of a flimsy loophole in D&D 3e that potentially allowed a melee warrior with the right feats to have a lot of attacks per round with his full bonus.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

20. - Top - End - #770
    Halfling in the Playground

Aaaah man... getting a real Taps vibe from this new page.
    Last edited by WoodenTable; 2009-03-16 at 11:58 PM.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ettin in the Playground

I've never heard of that rule, Gez. Sadly, I don't think either of them have much time left in the comic all things considered.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #772

I like Thunt's idea to get rid of the blog and put in his twitter instead. That will get rid of any reason for ANYONE to complain from a lack of being informed as to when the next update will come up.

Problem solved.

Wish I'd thought of that one. It seems an obvious solution in retrospect.

I'll miss the blog though.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2009-03-22 at 05:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

New update.

Poor, poor little ogre. :(

24. - Top - End - #774

BlueWizardGirl

It's only now that I fully realize this webcomic's true purpose... to continually force us to sympathize with characters before destroying them all before our eyes. Oh, and occasionally there are jokes.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Poor, poor little ogre. :(
    I'll say...although, we haven't seen Yala's dead body yet, so she's probably still alive at this point.

By the way, are you sure that's an ogre? Because he looks more like some sort of giant to me.

EDIT: I mean, I originally thought he was an ogre as well, but Boulder looked somewhat different.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2009-03-22 at 10:53 PM.

26. - Top - End - #776

It has been stated by Thunt that he is an ogre, his name is Pan, and that Yala is not dead. I follow his live drawing feed, and she appears in a future comic.
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2009-03-22 at 11:42 PM.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Troll in the Playground

You don't have to spoil it, you know. Thanks.

28. - Top - End - #778

I have to agree with Linker. Guessing is one thing but outright telling us what is going to happen is not fun.

Information that you gained while watching future pages being drawn or having Thunt tell you is something that you should use spoiler tags for. Along with a warning that this is an actual spoiler, not the predictions that so frequently mask themselves as spoilers on this site.

29. - Top - End - #779

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    not the predictions that so frequently mask themselves as spoilers on this site.
    For what it's worth, though it bugs the heck out of me, I have been made to understand that's how The Giant wants it, at least with regard to OOTS. It's some sort of logic along the lines of "Any speculation could be a spoiler if it were true, if speculation isn't marked as a spoiler it must not be true and I must change the course of future events to reflect that, therefore all speculation must be marked as a spoiler so I won't have to change anything." Or something like that. So yeah, you end up seeing a lot of spec marked as spoilers.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ettin in the Playground

That's not strictly true, Ascension; I didn't feel the least bit sympathetic towards Saril before he lost his head. Being serious, how long do you think Pan and Yala will last before being killed or being written out of the comic?
    Spoiler
    Show