New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 123, The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 111

Quote Originally Posted by Theodorus View Post
    GAAAKH!!!

I don't know if someone has mentioned this already but it's INTRAVENOUS!!

This from someone who supposedly 'knows' medicine?
    Well this guy I'm quoting doesn't seem to be a native English speaker. I'm having enough problems with the IV vs. IV joke / pun, I didn't feel like correcting his knowledge of medicine too.
    Last edited by Bongos; 2008-09-22 at 12:39 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HPV View Post
    I don't disagree with anything you say, but, what I'm wondering is, *what* is the significance, if any, of PG wanting to bring Wanda into play at this particular point? and *how* exactly is he planning to use her?
    My theory:

1) Sizemore, golems, spidews, knights, and collapses kill most/all of the Jetstone and Marbit forces.

2) Wanda goes down into the tunnels and uncroaks dead Webinar and maybe dead Dora.

3) Ansom never expected that most/all of his forces in the tunnels could get wiped out, so the tunnel exit (tunnel entrance, as far as Ansom is concerned) is lightly defended or undefended.

4) Wanda plus uncroaked Webinar, Dora, unipegataurs and Archon sortie from the tunnels and blow up a ton of siege, OR they go for the leadership stack itself.

I can picture Parson telling Wanda, "Go kill Ansom. Not only will this save Stanley, but more importantly you can try to attune the Arkenpliers if you seize them. Most importantly, however, you can croak the guy who turned Jillian against you."

Think she's got enough incentive?
    Last edited by headhoncho; 2008-09-22 at 12:59 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by headhoncho View Post
    I can picture Parson telling Wanda, "Go kill Ansom. Not only will this save Stanley, but more importantly you can try to attune the Arkenpliers if you seize them. Most importantly, however, you can croak the guy who turned Jillian against you."

Think she's got enough incentive?
    Except... Parson doesn't know about Wanda and Jillian.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NakedCelt View Post
    Except... Parson doesn't know about Wanda and Jillian.
    Sure he does. He might not know the details, but he knows she's very close to her, and that Wanda is taking it WAY too personally for there to be nothing at all.

5. - Top - End - #125

I don't think anyone has observed that we now know Stanley has exactly 31 dwagons? Combined with 5 humanoid units, that's 4 1/2 stacks. I wonder why he could only bring 3 knights with him. Maybe it's related to his personal gold capacity/ability to upkeep units without a treasury.

<Edit> Except I can't count. Looks like 30 dwagons now. </Edit>
    Last edited by fractal; 2008-09-22 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Counting Error

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    I don't think anyone has observed that we now know Stanley has exactly 31 dwagons? Combined with 5 humanoid units, that's 4 1/2 stacks. I wonder why he could only bring 3 knights with him. Maybe it's related to his personal gold capacity/ability to upkeep units without a treasury.
    Could be no mechanic reason. Stanley is a little nut about is "Titan choice" argument, so we can't really know.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

I wonder why he could only bring 3 knights with him.
    I don't think it has anything at all to do with game mechanics:

Guitar, guitar, bass, drums = Stanley + 3 Knights.

(Edit: since so many people have missed the KISS references already: the band KISS had two guitar players, a bass player, and a drummer. I'm not enough of a fan to know if that's always been true, but it's true of the versions that I can remember.)
    Last edited by Ptorquemada; 2008-09-22 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Beating a dead horse

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Stanley mentions that he can only take the top 3 plus the fool in his plan. Can indicates that there is some limitation involved. Maybe they just ran out of dragon saddles.

A few people keep commenting on how Parson needs to get out of the Archons' view. Actually, that might be a bad idea. The only reason he's still at Gobwin Knob is that Charlie is interested in a show. If everything is moved into secret hidey-ness, perhaps Charlie will be less accommodating when next Parson needs to delay him. As it is, he knows he's under observation and can take appropriate caution.

On the Sizemore issue, I have suspicions that he could survive and dig out of a cave in. Just seems appropriate for an earth mage.
    "The nicest evil guy you'll ever meet."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir13 View Post
    A few people keep commenting on how Parson needs to get out of the Archons' view. Actually, that might be a bad idea. The only reason he's still at Gobwin Knob is that Charlie is interested in a show. If everything is moved into secret hidey-ness, perhaps Charlie will be less accommodating when next Parson needs to delay him. As it is, he knows he's under observation and can take appropriate caution.
    He might even find an angle that takes advantage of the fact that Charlie knows what he's doing.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

When you're a Jet,
    You're a Jet all the way
    From your first cigarette
    To your last dyin' day.

oh wait....
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

<Edit> Except I can't count. Looks like 30 dwagons now. </Edit>
    I wonder if Mounted warlords count as 2 units or just 1 more powerful unit. Can non-commanders even mount (casters count as commanders too).

With 25+ Dwagons that would mean he would need 3 warlords to join him, if he wanted max stack bonuses, while retaining full control. Essentially i think he assembled the knights in GK, then promoted the 3 highest leveled units to warlords before leaving.

As Wanda pointed out, he can't take the treasury with him, so he might as well spend it now.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    I cannot guess whether or not Stanley will eventually go back (not enough information) BUT those that subscibed to this baseless speculation dismissed the more compelling evidence. Examples, Jami essentially told us that it was wrong, Jillian's group was set up at the pass, Stanley was at the pass, Jillian was clearly in the tenth pannel and not the eleventh, veiling can only be effectively done at the end of turn...

And it was a majority who was thinking along these lines, hardly a few. I'm not going to do a bunch of gloating though. I made several observations about this, if each of these seemingly minority opinions is proven (as I am confident they will be), then that will give me cred that my minimalist ideas of no big suprises will be confirmed.

Maybe I should keep a list. I don't mind putting my ability of analyses on the line. Either I got certain portions of this storyline figured out or I don't.

List:

-Not an illusion. Check

-Assuming the tiny figures on page 122 are all warlords, there are 12 vamp warlords. That's kind of a lame one actually... I mean, I'm completely covering myself either way. Oh well, point is, I take this page as being more potentially significant then the previous one that only showed 11 vamp Warlords.

-You can ambush when you have Warlords. Check.

- The Vamp Chief is worried about the foolmancer not for the ambush but for hiding Stanley after he breaks out of the ambush.

- Stanly will not be able to make it to FAQ or if he can make it will not be able to ressurect FAQ this turn.

-If Jack attempts at some point to make Stanley go back to GK, it will not be through magical trickery during this battle.

-Wanda cannot be the predicamancer unless there is some sort of foreshadowing that states that a caster can change their primary profession, which there has not been (managing other magics at an amateur level is not the same).

- Assuming it is not Wanda, the actual predicamancer was killed at Gobwin Knob when the Gobwins took over. It's possible she went into hiding as well and may appear at an opportune moment.

-No member of Gobwin Knob that we currently know about is controling Stanley through magical means, except, possibly, the arkenhammer.

Earliest prediction that I recall making:
    Stanly's side is the evil one. Check. There are some interesting suprises and with the nobility hatres of commoners as overlords it could have gone the other way but Stanley is plainly the aggressor.
    Its adorable how you've listed all these things with the assuption that noone but you has considered they may happen. Pretty much everyone who reads this comic and posts on the forum has spent time pulling apart every page and considering the possibilities. Despite what you may think, just because people settled on the idea that there was illusionary trickery going on doesnt mean they never considered any alternatives.

It seems fairly silly to point fingers and go 'har har you were wrong and i'm right (sing-song voice)'. FYI saying youre not going to do a bunch of gloating actually manages to be more irritating BECAUSE you are gloating whilst trying to pass off a vaneer of moral superiority.

And again you talk about there needing to be forshadowing before something can even be considered to have happened.. then pluck the predicamancer dying in Gobwin's Knob out of the air and bang on about a sentient hammer again (pun intended).

I still don't think its clear cut who is good and evil here unless you subscribe to the stereotypes of creature type. I find that both sides have likeable and dislikable qualities.

There is something else youve said though which i totally agree with: 'Either I got certain portions of this storyline figured out or I don't.' All of us are in this boat until the storyline is played out. I think people might take you more seriously if you didnt come across as so insufferably smug when ideas don't pan out for other people.
    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.

''Never argue with idiots, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.''

''Common sense is very uncommon.''

''It ain't sin if you crack a few laws now and then, just so long as you don't break any.''

13. - Top - End - #133
    Spamalot in the Playground

I see Sizemore is getting in touch with his inner warlord. I hope all his training has prepared him for this last stand.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Bongos View Post
    Well this guy I'm quoting doesn't seem to be a native English speaker. I'm having enough problems with the IV vs. IV joke / pun, I didn't feel like correcting his knowledge of medicine too.
    Thanks. English has too manny homophones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    <snip>
    Please be so kind as to explain how this strip eliminates the possibility that Jack is Fooling Stanley?

Even if everything we see in this strip is real doesn't mean it is what Stanley is seeing. For that matter, we don't know if Stanley is going to punch through towards Faq or GK. He may think he is punching through to Faq but actually end up on the GK side of the pass, because of being Fooled by Jack.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Please be so kind as to explain how this strip eliminates the possibility that Jack is Fooling Stanley?

Even if everything we see in this strip is real doesn't mean it is what Stanley is seeing. For that matter, we don't know if Stanley is going to punch through towards Faq or GK. He may think he is punching through to Faq but actually end up on the GK side of the pass, because of being Fooled by Jack.
    It doesn't strictly eliminate the possibility of such a trick, but it does make it considerably less likely IMO.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by headhoncho View Post
    My theory:

1) Sizemore, golems, spidews, knights, and collapses kill most/all of the Jetstone and Marbit forces.

2) Wanda goes down into the tunnels and uncroaks dead Webinar and maybe dead Dora.

3) Ansom never expected that most/all of his forces in the tunnels could get wiped out, so the tunnel exit (tunnel entrance, as far as Ansom is concerned) is lightly defended or undefended.

4) Wanda plus uncroaked Webinar, Dora, unipegataurs and Archon sortie from the tunnels and blow up a ton of siege, OR they go for the leadership stack itself.
    I don't know why there are short essays on what might or might not happen when this guy can sum it up in four blindingly obvious points.

I'd originally figured the uncroaked Jetstone units would be sent to the walls, but they could well be sallied forth to take on Ansom directly. It explains what Pason meant by 'you have no idea what I'm about to do to Ansom this turn'. Would anything unhinge the guy more then having to fight his own soldiers?

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
    I'd originally figured the uncroaked Jetstone units would be sent to the walls, but they could well be sallied forth to take on Ansom directly. It explains what Pason meant by 'you have no idea what I'm about to do to Ansom this turn'. Would anything unhinge the guy more then having to fight his own soldiers?
    Hmmm... I'm a bit skeptical of the idea that Parson is planning to send forces out on a raid (it would risk losses he really can't afford and forego the benefit of the fortified position that is one of his few remianing advantages), but on the other hand that comment suggests that he has some sort of surprise in mind.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-09-22 at 03:45 PM.
    Sebastian Bux
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Posting may provoke attacks of opportunity

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Bux View Post
    {Scrubbed}
    You really know how to make friends, don't you sebastian?
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-09-22 at 03:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Halfling in the Playground

Sebastion: Nobody is forcing you to click on the link. Nobody is forcing you to read 5 pages of forum posts. Now, I do not understand why you feel it needful to bag on everyone else. Some of us actually enjoy this comic.

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Grubsnik View Post
    I wonder if Mounted warlords count as 2 units or just 1 more powerful unit.
    The fight with the spidews implies that they fight as separate units. Note frame 8 -- Dora attacks one target while her mount attacks a different one.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just read all of Erfworld yesterday and I have to say I'm impressed. I'm looking forward to Stanley's rock down with the bats.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Stuff
    He's baa-aack!
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Hmmm... I'm a bit skeptical of the idea that Parson is planning to send forces out on a raid (it would risk losses he really can't afford and forego the benefit of the fortified position that is one of his few remianing advantages), but on the other hand that comment suggests that he has some sort of surprise in mind.
    Perhaps you're right. There's nothing to suggest he was planing anything quite so bold, but after honcho posted it just seemed to fit with what we've seen of his character. He's not a defensive player, he likes to take the initiative. He said as much to Charlie.

Risky plans are perhaps mitigated by the fact he'd certainly loose a conventional fight, defensive or otherwise. Perhaps its best to describe him as a guy who takes calculated risks. Literally.

On the other hand, perhaps he intends to display the uncroaked units on the wall to help break up the alliance. We still don't know how the sword/ruthlessness/luckmancy is going to come into play.

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-09-22 at 03:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

{Scrubbed}

It is clear that you do not unsderstand, and are thusd requesting an explanation. I believe that first of all, we should address your mathematical skills - your count of 'five people' is obviously off, gauging by just the response on these forums. So to begin, your counting skills are somewhat lax.
    This 'drivel' is strictly IYNSHO (In Your Not-So-Humble Opinion), as many non-forum posters thoroughly enjoy this comic. It is filled with whimsy, gamer references (video, war and fantasy RPG) as well as pop cultuire references, all woven together with an eye to detail and set to a wonderful cadence.

What you perceive as 'ginormous holes in the plot', we fortunate and pleased readers perceive as intriguing possibilities and potential springboards for our fertile imaginations. There are few things as enjoyable to me as watching a movie and trying to 'out-think' the writers and directors the first time I watch it. To perceive the foreshadowing, to glimpse the future, to understand as an oracle does the tale before it.

Unlike yourself, I should hope that the 'tracks' could be as 'long' as possible, perhaps stretching over multipole volumes.

As for your wish, it leaves me rather indifferent and puzzled. You do not 'have to read it ever again' if you do not click on the link. "Oh look, a linky. Must... not... click... on it.... must not... BLAST! "
    Your futile rant seems comical and unfirtunate. I happen to like both. I am no fan of 'the Longshot Clan', nor of 'The Duke's Wolf', but I recognize that there may be fans of those, and simply do not indulge my 'clicky' instincts.

I would recommend you do the same.

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-09-22 at 03:51 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
    Perhaps you're right. There's nothing to suggest he was planing anything quite so bold, but after honcho posted it just seemed to fit with what we've seen of his character. He's not a defensive player, he likes to take the initiative. He said as much to Charlie.

Risky plans are perhaps mitigated by the fact he'd certainly loose a conventional fight, defensive or otherwise. Perhaps its best to describe him as a guy who takes calculated risks. Literally.

On the other hand, perhaps he intends to display the uncroaked units on the wall to help break up the alliance. We still don't know how the sword/ruthlessness/luckmancy is going to come into play.

{Scrubbed}
    {Scrubbed}

Oh, and I love your comment 'Calculated Risk' - Precious... For someone with Mathamancy and Luckamancy, that is not an issue... I want to see more, more, more... how do you like it, how do you like it, more, more, more!
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-09-22 at 03:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-09-22 at 08:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-09-22 at 03:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow. The combat posters are out in force.

Contrary to at least one person's belief, speculating about how the strip is going to go, is not a "keeping score" e-peen contest. At least, it doesn't have to be. This strip vindicates several of the theories I have advanced, and puts others at risk. So what?

Contrary to another person's belief, there is intrinsic value in Erfworld. If you don't see it, move along. Quietly, please.

(Pardon me, I have to go send a threatening email to FORCE another hapless innocent bystander to read this post.)
    Dibs on his dice.