New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: 123, The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 111

...And back to the strip.

I'm pretty sure Jack cast *something*. The artwork while Jack and Stanley were talking is just too excellently dramatic and emphatic. The spell wasn't obviously explained in this strip, so what did he do? I can't wait to find out.

I've been assuming there would be a fight at the walls this turn, as well. Parson has the only air force at GK. Since airforces are primarily offensive weapons, Parson will want to use them on his turn. So I'm expecting Wanda to do something showy, and I don't expect to see the air force heading down into the tunnels. I'm reading "Get Wanda ready" as foreshadowing for an upcoming scene change where she gets to blast things. She might try to raid the Arkenpliers (risky with primarily Croaked troops) to fulfill Parson's claim that he will hold the 'pliers at the end of the turn.

Dunno if I'm guessing right or wrong, but I'll have fun finding out.
    Dibs on his dice.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
    I don't know why there are short essays on what might or might not happen when this guy can sum it up in four blindingly obvious points.

I'd originally figured the uncroaked Jetstone units would be sent to the walls, but they could well be sallied forth to take on Ansom directly. It explains what Pason meant by 'you have no idea what I'm about to do to Ansom this turn'. Would anything unhinge the guy more then having to fight his own soldiers?
    Yeah, send undead at the guy with the divine artifact that disintegrates them!
    Real wizards use staves

3. - Top - End - #153
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CaptC View Post
    Parson has the only air force at GK.
    Currently, Charlie pretty much has control of GK's airspace. He seems willing to sit back and await developments for now; what he'll do on his next turn remains to be seen.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Currently, Charlie pretty much has control of GK's airspace. He seems willing to sit back and await developments for now; what he'll do on his next turn remains to be seen.
    Sorry, should have phrased that a bit more carefully. Parson has the only combatant airforce. Charlie is currently neutral.

Since Parson has an airforce, and Ansom does not, I expect Parson to get some offensive use from his fliers.

Wanda and the airforce can go blast things and withdraw to the 'GK donut' as they get damaged. GK will either stand (and the air force will get restored at the new turn so they can sortie again) or GK will fall (in which case it doesn't matter what kind of damage the air force takes.)
    Dibs on his dice.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

My theory:

Send Wanda down into the tunnels to start uncroaking units down there. At the end of the turn bring those units back into the garrison. The key thing to remember is that Charlie knows how many Archons it would take to capture the garrison at the start of the turn. If more units suddenly show up, it could make it considerably more difficult and potentially buy Parson another turn. Especially when we don't know what Parson's sword does for him.

Of course, this is all assuming that units uncroaked in the tunnels are still capable of moving back into the garrison. I could also see this happening assuming that any units Ansom moves onto the walls are unable to move directly to the garrison during the next turn. They're in the tunnels now, not the walls. Let them waste a turn moving to the walls and get them out of the tunnel instead, while (as previously mentioned) Charlie hogs the airspace.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground

Combat stuff completely aside....

...seeing KISS and the Arkenhammer, first thing that came into my mind was "Nut Rocker"...and yes, I'm sorry for that very bad pun.

And I just love that page....though Go Stanley!

7. - Top - End - #157

Man, that's hard.

The Knights rock harder. That's just all there is to it.

The catch hits when you figure they've got eight warlords to Stanley by himself. I mean the Dwagons are powerful, but still... Although, if all Stanley wants to do is break through...
    Last edited by OverWilliam; 2008-09-22 at 01:12 PM.
    Deo Soli Sit Semper Gloria

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Its offical. Overwilliam is Duke Devlin.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Pixie in the Playground

It doesn't strictly eliminate the possibility of such a trick, but it does make it considerably less likely IMO.
    And why would Jack merely turn Stanley back towards GK when he could actually finish Stanley off once and for all?

All Jack has to do is render the Dwagons and KISS hapless with an illusion veil, isolate Stanley, and then let every single unit led by Jillian and Vinny mass-gank solely on Stanley while the Dwagons are stunned --- if WarCraft III is any indication, not even Stanley + Arkenhammer can survive that for long. Having the Princess of Faq strike the final blow and take her revenge would be far, far more satisfying (for both Jack and Jill) than turning Stanley back towards Ansom, anyway.
    Last edited by Cybaster; 2008-09-22 at 12:30 PM.
    : "My name is Miko...Miko Miyazaki, a**hole."

Rest in peace, Miko. Power to you for not becoming a Blackguard.

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Bux View Post
    I look at these forums from time to time and it's amazing to me that Erfworld's "fans" find so much to talk about. You guys spend pages upon pages making assumptions for the gynormous holes in the plot that are left open between each update.
    Because we all know that V's gender threads and Threlanka is threads where not pointless fan-guessing based on what story they have to date, and the Threlanka is the reincarnation of Miko theory is so much more credible than the Wanda loves Jillian or Wanda was FAQs predictamancer or Wanda was captured by FAQ which is why she betrayed it theories.

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-09-22 at 03:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

@Cybaster, I don't think Jack could render the dwagons helpless with an illusion viel, it seems that when one unit in a viel loses cover, they all do. If Jack Vieled translovito, Stanley would have a chance to "blow the viel" for every single bat, and their are a lot of those, so no viel.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

I dont understand the jokes/references in the bit with stanley and the 'vitians.
    on another note, who is Threlanka?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'd like topoint out that Stanly has the advantage of playing an electric guitar.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post

veiling can only be effectively done at the end of turn...

- The Vamp Chief is worried about the foolmancer not for the ambush but for hiding Stanley after he breaks out of the ambush.
    Not sure about these - Caeser seemed pretty worried about Stanley coming past them veiled (if Stanley couldn't move while veiled they'd still get a chance to fight him when he came past, and if he beat them then I don't think they'd be that eager to go find him for another round so I don't think he'd care) - but on the other hand if Jack could potentially veil moving stacks, why didn't Stanley get him to veil them before they moved?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, should have phrased that a bit more carefully. Parson has the only combatant airforce. Charlie is currently neutral.
    That's certainly Charlie's intent. The thing is, by occupying GK's airspace he's acting as a de facto defender and opening himself to attack by the Coalition.

In order to assault the garrison, Ansom&co need to control two zones of GK: one of those is the tunnels, which we can assume are totally out of reach at this point, another is the wall, and the third is the airspace. For Ansom to take GK this turn, he must* control the air and the walls.

Controlling the air means either beating the snot out of Charlie's Archons, or hiring Charlie. Ansom knows Charlie doesn't want to be hired, though, leaving his "options" limited to "engage and destroy the mercenaries".

I don't know if Charlie sees this coming, frankly. It's an awfully clever twist by Parson.

*"Must" assumes that we're not falling for a head-fake regarding Sizemore's pwnage in the tunnels, or that I'm forgetting a forth zone.
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2008-09-22 at 02:07 PM.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by Thydron View Post
    Not sure about these - Caeser seemed pretty worried about Stanley coming past them veiled (if Stanley couldn't move while veiled they'd still get a chance to fight him when he came past, and if he beat them then I don't think they'd be that eager to go find him for another round so I don't think he'd care) - but on the other hand if Jack could potentially veil moving stacks, why didn't Stanley get him to veil them before they moved?
    He did, the last couple of turns; it didn't work because Jack was deranged. Since the dwagons appear normal now, I figure that either Jack's latest attempt had no effect whatsoever or Stanley just gave up trying for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    That's certainly Charlie's intent. The thing is, by occupying GK's airspace he's acting as a de facto defender and opening himself to attack by the Coalition.

In order to assault the garrison, Ansom&co need to control two zones of GK: one of those is the tunnels, which we can assume are totally out of reach at this point, another is the wall, and the third is the airspace. For Ansom to take GK this turn, he must* control the air and the walls.
    Huh? An enemy needs undisputed control of one of the outer defense zones (tunnels, walls, or airspace) to attack the garrison. That implies that the Coalition can't attack from airspace (if they even have any air units that didn't go after Stanley) as long as the Archons are sitting there, even if they don't actually intervene.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-09-22 at 02:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    I think that they only need to contol One Zone to get to the Garrison, then defeat the Garrison to win. But maybe SteveMB or one of the others that knows the details of the mechanics better than I can clarify.

RE: What Wanda is going to do w/Uncroaked - what do folks think of the possibility that Ruthless Parson is going to use Wanda and her legion of 200-ish existing Uncroaked Infantry + Newly Uncroaked Aircorps + TBD Tunnel Uncroaked as...BAIT for Ansom and the Arkenpliers to do a job "Only He Can Do Well", thus ensuring he falls into a trap. Arkenpliers are Yoinked!

Discuss!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    I dont understand the jokes/references in the bit with stanley and the 'vitians.
    on another note, who is Threlanka?
    The references have been already explained in this thread, but I'll reiterate them.

The Transylvitians are singing a modified version of The Jets' Song from the musical West Side Story, while Stanley and the Knight's In Stanley's Service are referencing the KISS song I Love it Loud.

As for Threlanka, I'm fairly certain that Zolem means Therkla, the Half-Orc Ninja who was killed in OotS 593. I think Threlanka is the most egregious misspelling of Therkla I've seen so far.
    Last edited by PaladinFreak; 2008-09-22 at 03:05 PM.
    Merfyn, Level 80 Paladin
    Caddoc, Level 80 Warlock

Proud owner of a vintage Disatar!

18. - Top - End - #168
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: Please report posts that you believe violates the Forum Rules. Please don't flame the poster (by calling them a "troll" or "twoll" or any other name). We don't tolerate trolling here, but we also don't appreciate flaming and vigilantism either.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-09-22 at 03:59 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Contrary to at least one person's belief, speculating about how the strip is going to go, is not a "keeping score" e-peen contest. At least, it doesn't have to be. This strip vindicates several of the theories I have advanced, and puts others at risk.
    Well, up to now, my only ticket to fame was to guess where the dwagons were based simply on Ansom's map with the fog of war. Other than that I've failed miserably at almost everything.

I'm even afraid to advance what I think Wanda is needed for...
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

20. - Top - End - #170
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    I don't think anyone has observed that we now know Stanley has exactly 31 dwagons? Combined with 5 humanoid units, that's 4 1/2 stacks. I wonder why he could only bring 3 knights with him. Maybe it's related to his personal gold capacity/ability to upkeep units without a treasury.

<Edit> Except I can't count. Looks like 30 dwagons now. </Edit>
    Since Stanley expects Gobwin Knob to fall, and it appears it has to fall before he can start a new side at a capitol site (which he hoped would be unknown at first), then yes, I assume it had to do with upkeep without a treasury. Also, Jillian had to take mercenary work to keep up all her gwiffons after Faq fell.

The stacks are trickier. An early page established that stacks can be larger than eight units, but a warlord's stack bonus only applies to the first eight, making stacks of eight the usual custom. Since the knights aren't warlords, the dwagons could all be one stack unless Stanley has a tactical reason to divide them.

Something else: knights were (I believe, don't have time to find it) listed separately from stabber and piker class infantry in the stupid meal unit list. We've seen dwagons and spidews fight without riders, we've seen knights dismounted as well as mounted on spidews and dwagons. Riders on mounts could conceivably count as one unit towards the limit on stack bonuses. Or just the opposite, there's not really enough information.
    Last edited by Saladman; 2008-09-22 at 04:30 PM.
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss."
    -RAH

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

The way I see it:
    - RCC cannot attack via the airspace, mostly because of a severe lack of flying units, but possibly also because of Charlie.
    - RCC is getting whupped in the tunnels and will not want to commit more forces there. GK losses are light, since Sizemore is keeping his golems topped up on hitpoints.
    - Thus, at the end of GK's turn, all units should be placed on the walls in order to hold off the siege for at least one turn. (Aside from some token units to kill scouts with extreme prejudice and further convince the RCC that attacking the tunnels is useless.)

Charlie watches this until the end of RCC's turn, and goes to bed dreaming of an amazing mathamancer under his command with no casualties on his side.

GK must now move all units from the walls to the garrison during the evening/night. Since this requires no move, they can do it.

The next morning, Charlie wakes up to his turn and finds that the garrison is suddenly too strong for him to take.
    (All GK units, plus Sword, plus Freshly Uncroaked units, minus tunnel losses)

After Charlie uses another mathamancy coupon to confirm that he can't win, it is GK's turn. They heal, and get back to fighting the RCC.

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by Saladman View Post
    The stacks are trickier. An early page established that stacks can be larger than eight units, but a warlord's stack bonus only applies to the first eight, making stacks of eight the usual custom. Since the knights aren't warlords, the dwagons could all be one stack unless Stanley has a tactical reason to divide them.
    The stacking bonus tops out at eight; there's no indication that a warlord bonus is limited to eight units. The disadvantages (as opposed to mere lack of additional advantages) of putting more than eight units in a stack have not yet been established as far as I can recall -- one possibility is that if only one warlord can provide a direct bonus to a given stack, it would be wasteful to not have separate stacks so that each warlord has one (unless there aren't enough units to assign a stack of eight to each warlord).

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

So who else here thinks that Stanley never built up the FAQ cities because its a 'capital site' and you can't own more then one at a time?

Considering how close Transilvito AND GK are.. FAQ looks less and less like the secret secluded hideout a abnd could stage a reunion tour from.
    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.

''Never argue with idiots, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.''

''Common sense is very uncommon.''

''It ain't sin if you crack a few laws now and then, just so long as you don't break any.''

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... can units attack at night?. Can they move between air and the garrison or walls at night? If the answer is "yes" to the first and "no" to the second I think I see I think I see Parson's win against Charlie. Even if units can always move between city zones at will, Charlie's archons will be asleep won't they. I wonder how quickly they can wake up. Will they noticed their friends being strangled in their sleep, or their throats being slit, or a dagger in the back of the head?
    Maybe, probably wrong though...
    Last edited by Lamech; 2008-09-22 at 05:18 PM.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

25. - Top - End - #175
    Pixie in the Playground

Sorry if this was posted before, but the transylvito warlords reminded me of The Warriors. The song and dance was definitely from West Side Story but their appearance seemed similar.

the comic: (Panel one) http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0116.html

The Warriors: http://www.the-warriors.fr/musique/S...iors-front.jpg

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Hmm... can units attack at night?. Can they move between air and the garrison or walls at night?
    Wanda's units were busy at night, that's all we know. But that's an intriguing suggestion. If Wanda can kill enough, before they react, just to tip the ballance of power...

But that's looking too far ahead. Sizemore and the tool are fighting for their lifes. One thing to consider is that Stanley, if he wins, is bound to go back to GK. Faq is useless now that Transylvito knows about it.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-09-22 at 06:45 PM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

27. - Top - End - #177
    Pixie in the Playground

He did, the last couple of turns; it didn't work because Jack was deranged. Since the dwagons appear normal now, I figure that either Jack's latest attempt had no effect whatsoever or Stanley just gave up trying for the time being.

I wasn't saying that he hadn't tried veiling, but that it seems like he tried it after they'd moved for the turn - The first strip definitely seems like night-time - so that would be after he'd already moved. The second is a little more ambiguous, in panel 9 the dragons look like they've started flying already, and they could possibly have finished by panel 12, but then again, possibly not.

(btw I bow to your superior strip referencing skills :P)

edit: either way in the second example, he definitely didn't try it at the very start of the day: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0096.html
    which seems pretty careless even for Stanley he knew for certain he wouldn't be running into anyone.
    Last edited by Thydron; 2008-09-22 at 08:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    I want to see Stanley bite the head off a bat!
    Ohhhh YEAH baby! Gimme that blizzard of Oz!

Since I once had all of the Gene/Paul/Ace/Peter music on vinyl, it should come as no surprise that when it comes to WSS versus KISS... well, 70's Show Metal and Stanley the Tool pwnz all!

Shout it, shout it, shout it out louuuud...! ArkenAxe FTW!
    Last edited by Wadoka; 2008-09-22 at 08:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charlicat View Post
    RE: What Wanda is going to do w/Uncroaked - what do folks think of the possibility that Ruthless Parson is going to use Wanda and her legion of 200-ish existing Uncroaked Infantry + Newly Uncroaked Aircorps + TBD Tunnel Uncroaked as...BAIT for Ansom and the Arkenpliers to do a job "Only He Can Do Well", thus ensuring he falls into a trap. Arkenpliers are Yoinked!

Discuss!
    I like your thinking! :) From what we've seen *that's* exactly the kind of trap that Ansom might fall for, especially if he's riled by seeing his forces and warlords uncroaked and used against him! He won't even have Vinny or Webinar around to point out how rash and foolish he's being. *grin*

30. - Top - End - #180
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm a big West Side Story fan and I don't care for KISS at all. (Sorry all you KISS fans out there! ) However, I still felt the Tool's performance was better than that of Transylvito. I wonder if that means Stanely will get a better dance fight bonus. Will it affect his punch through?

Does anybody know if the piker and stabber class infantry described here were also deployed with the gobwins already in the tunnels? What impact will a mere 12 mounted knights have on the battle in the tunnels? Where are the twolls?