New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 123, The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 111

Quote Originally Posted by fehler View Post
    I'm surprised at Webinar's reaction to finding Sizemore. He didn't seem as surprised to see a caster leading a stack, considering how rare a move it is. As it is, he's jumping at it eagerly. Too eagerly. Like a foolish Queen Hunter about to go down.
    Maaaybe...

He would also know that the golems will be much less effective after the caster is croaked.

Unlike taking the Queen in chess, taking out the caster weakens the other enemy units.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm surprised at Webinar's reaction to finding Sizemore. He didn't seem as surprised to see a caster leading a stack, considering how rare a move it is. As it is, he's jumping at it eagerly. Too eagerly. Like a foolish Queen Hunter about to go down.
    Perhaps Webinar is just using reasonable tactics in this situation. They are the tactics I would use, given what I know. It's of course unclear that Webinar has the same information, but he's apparently a grizzled veteran and presumably has some idea about fighting casters.

Most caster types are glass cannons. They dish out lots of damage at range, but it also takes very little damage to croak them. It's usually cost effective to kill them as quickly as possible, to reduce the amount of damage you take.

If casters aren't damage dealers, they are healers. Healers are even worse, as they are force-multipliers. It's usually mandatory to kill them first, otherwise you can't kill anything. (I play a priest in WoW, and I can tell you, everyone kills the healer first.)

Sizemore is a healer. He might also be a damage dealer, we'll have to see. But in either event, Webinar is right to focus on Sizemore.
    Dibs on his dice.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CaptC View Post
    Sizemore is a healer. He might also be a damage dealer, we'll have to see. But in either event, Webinar is right to focus on Sizemore.
    Makes you wonder what the "juice" that heals crap golems is.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eeeeew. That stuff would rust the metal golems horribly.
    Dibs on his dice.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CaptC
    Most caster types are glass cannons. They dish out lots of damage at range, but it also takes very little damage to croak them. It's usually cost effective to kill them as quickly as possible, to reduce the amount of damage you take.

If casters aren't damage dealers, they are healers. Healers are even worse, as they are force-multipliers. It's usually mandatory to kill them first, otherwise you can't kill anything. (I play a priest in WoW, and I can tell you, everyone kills the healer first.)
    The most dangerous thing about casters in games like is not being able to heal, that can be horrible, but AoEs of any sort are even worse. Its why templar, defilers, and such are so insanly powerful in Starcraft. AoE's can make overwhelming numbers useless (or worse), if they can hit everything you have with one shot. AoE buffs/debuffs can one side have a huge advantage. If AoE healing is fast enough the whole army is very hard to kill.

Its possible Webinar thinks if the caster lives he can't win, or maybe the tunnel forces all lose if the dirtamancer lives.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2008-09-24 at 03:22 PM.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #246

Remember that since he's a dirtmancer, he provides a sick combat bonus to golems.

Webinar probably knows this. If he kills the dirtmancer first, the golems will be much easier to destroy than trying to crack them first.

Again with the Wow example, Sizemore has an aura that increases all the damage and defenses of nearby golems. But he's still squishy himself. So focusing fire on the caster is the right course of action
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-09-24 at 03:28 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Remember that since he's a dirtmancer, he provides a sick combat bonus to golems.

Webinar probably knows this. If he kills the dirtmancer first, the golems will be much easier to destroy than trying to crack them first.

Again with the Wow example, Sizemore has an aura that increases all the damage and defenses of nearby golems. But he's still squishy himself. So focusing fire on the caster is the right course of action
    Exactly. Same reason Parson targeted Jillian before the Archons.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    The most dangerous thing about casters in games like is not being able to heal, that can be horrible, but AoEs of any sort are even worse.
    If Webinar has a basic familiarity with casters and their abilities, he's probably well aware of the danger of the tunnel being collapsed on his head now that the enemy dirtamancer has spotted a concentration of high-value targets....

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

Another reason to be close to the caster. If he collapses the ceiling, Sizemore might get himself too.
    Dibs on his dice.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not surprised by Webinar's tactics, just his initial reaction, "The caster!". A surprised person would scream "A caster!" It seems like Webinar expected to find Sizemore, which may be so based on the traps he's encountered. Or else Webby supressed his initial surprise and what we are seeing is his first battle command after realizing where "The caster" was located.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not surprised by Webinar's tactics, just his initial reaction, "The caster!". A surprised person would scream "A caster!" It seems like Webinar expected to find Sizemore, which may be so based on the traps he's encountered. Or else Webby supressed his initial surprise and what we are seeing is his first battle command after realizing where "The caster" was located.
    Oh no! Webinar knows he's only facing one caster in the tunnels!

That can mean ONLY ONE THING! WEBINAR IS ACTUALLY FAQ'S PREDICTOMANCER!

(Just thought I'd tie up all the loose ends.)

Dibs on his dice.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Nah. Everyone knows FAQs predictamancer was Gandolf before the balrog got him.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

>If he collapses the ceiling, Sizemore might get himself too.

Ceiling collapses should not be an issue to a Dirtomancer.

What would be the point of a magic glowing shovel if it couldn't dig?

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Znek View Post
    My prediction for the upcoming fights (based on pure speculation):

His Toolship will win against Super Draculario, while Sizemore will eventually lose against the Raddishes...

FAQ is faq-ed (booped), Parson, Wanda and the thinkamancer will escape by air and will join the tool in a newly veiled capital.
    ...and Charlie, what, he lets them go?

Parson barely has any air left, and I can't imagine a few zombie unipegataurs are fast enough to escape an Archon. (Granted, they do give him some air mobility, and it's been implied -- by Wanda's earlier intentions -- that they could be used to reach Stanley, although not necessarily with someone of Parson's size onboard.) But that was before Charlie arrived; it just doesn't seem particularly likely that he'd let Parson go.

There are other problems (at least the way you put it, it doesn't sound terribly interesting from a narrative standpoint), but Charlie is the big issue.

And what about the Foolamancer? What does he do? Obviously he has a role to play in Stanley's current battle; it's been foreshadowed more than enough.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Please note as well that the marbits can dig as well... tunnel collapses might not be as frightening to them as to Webinar et al...

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    And what about the Foolamancer? What does he do? Obviously he has a role to play in Stanley's current battle; it's been foreshadowed more than enough.

Dirtmancers buff golems.

Croackmancers buff uncroacked.

Clearly, foolamancers buff idiots. Like Stanley the tool

Vinnie is sooooo dead
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-09-24 at 05:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257

Webinar's seen the traps, and the golems have already been engaged and healed, although not necessarily against Webinar personally. A caster stands to reason.

As much as I love this comic, I don't want to see every single thing on screen or we'll never finish. (Freefall comes to mind; good comic, but it appears to take a year of 3 updates a week to cover a single story day.)

I agree about Webinar going down. Jetstone and the marbits are booped, the best they can hope for is to do some damage on the way out.

Here's to uncroaked Webinar and Dora!
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss."
    -RAH

18. - Top - End - #258
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Dirtmancers buff golems.

Croackmancers buff uncroacked.

Clearly, foolamancers buff idiots. Like Stanley the tool

Vinnie is sooooo dead
    Nice!

19. - Top - End - #259

I'm going to say this next thing in a spoiler so that it doesn't get said for real later on and turned into a jinx:

Spoiler
    Show
    Everything's going according to plan. I can't see how anything could possibly go wrong at this point.

*runs*

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cainen View Post
    The band KISS got a bad rep for 'outrageous' on-stage antics way back when. Some of those nay-sayers came up with the idea that they were called KISS because it stood for Knights In Satan's Service, so it's really self-explanatory when you know that much.
    Sweet. duh. Now that you mention it. I see the connection to KISS.

Usually when I think of KISS, I admit I think of Keep it Simple Stupid. As a kid it never occurred to me that KISS (the band) stood for anything.
    Last edited by ishnar; 2008-09-24 at 10:49 PM.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

21. - Top - End - #261
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emo Samurai View Post
    I'm going to say this next thing in a spoiler so that it doesn't get said for real later on and turned into a jinx:

Spoiler
    Show
    Everything's going according to plan. I can't see how anything could possibly go wrong at this point.

*runs*
    It's the idiot plan basicly.

Guy 1: What's next?

Guy 2: Not sure.

Guy 3: What do you mean not sure, i thought you had a plan?

Guy 2: I ran out of plan about two hours ago, quite frankly getting this far was beyond anything I could think of.

See also TV trops for any trop of your choice that describes this or the unspokenplan gurantee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by innovan View Post
    >If he collapses the ceiling, Sizemore might get himself too.

Ceiling collapses should not be an issue to a Dirtomancer.

What would be the point of a magic glowing shovel if it couldn't dig?
    Momentum should still be an issue. There's a reason most casters are called 'squishies'.
    Dibs on his dice.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud View Post

This has been discussed again, but KISS showed up on page 82. It was discussed.
    Sigh, please read what I say before you reply. Yes it was DISCUSSED, but it was never EXPLAINED. The discussion involved a lot of people that got the joke saying how funny and awesome the joke was. No one ever explained it. I said "Over the months I've googled the term whenever the mood strikes me, but I never got an answer to the joke here." Obviously, I would not have been googling the term on and off for MONTHS if I were not aware of the original reference. Your link was more insulting than it was helpful. Read then reply.

Every time I googled it, it just referred me back to the thread where it wasn't explained, just discussed. Again, Thanks to Cainen for being the first to explain and not sneer like the above poster.
    Last edited by ishnar; 2008-09-24 at 11:07 PM.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

Clue please-- AoE?

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Contrary to at least one person's belief, speculating about how the strip is going to go, is not a "keeping score" e-peen contest. At least, it doesn't have to be. This strip vindicates several of the theories I have advanced, and puts others at risk. So what?
    I dunno, I was pretty darn happy to see that my guess of spidews being used in the tunnels panned out. It's the nature of speculation. I didn't foresee them being MOUNTED spidews, though. WHOO!

(Sorry for bringing this back up, but it took me a while to re-read the archives, again, and find my old post. XD)
    Last edited by BarGamer; 2008-09-25 at 02:25 AM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Contrary to at least one person's belief, speculating about how the strip is going to go, is not a "keeping score" e-peen contest. At least, it doesn't have to be. This strip vindicates several of the theories I have advanced, and puts others at risk. So what?
    The real question, has the authors ever changed the direction of the story, simply because the forum members figured it out too soon?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grubsnik View Post
    The real question, has the authors ever changed the direction of the story, simply because the forum members figured it out too soon?
    I don't see why they would. It's not meant to be a surprise-thriller that's unpredictable at every turn. They're writing a graphic novel, and are releasing it one page at a time. Why would they change the plot just because one person out of hundreds who spend hours examining each page was able to guess what might happen a few pages down the line?
    Real wizards use staves

28. - Top - End - #268
    Banned

He is fighting an enemy that has all to lose, and nothing to save. A fact that he seemed to be aware the moment Ansom scr... sent him.
    In a situation like that, you have to expect everything, as it's quite obvious to everyone knowing the Erfworld art of war, that ALL Gobwin Knob troops are defending the only menaced area (underground).
    Guess who is guilty? Name the one over chief that ordered to delay the wall assault.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

On top of Parson wanting to see this thing out till the end he might not jump ship to Charlie because he was summoned and bound by a spell by a Caster on the Tool's side. For all Parson knows he could let himself be captured by Charlie and Stanley can still end him with a thought. I'm pretty sure when Jillian was captured she wasn't a member of the GK side.. she was still part of the coalition.
    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.

''Never argue with idiots, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.''

''Common sense is very uncommon.''

''It ain't sin if you crack a few laws now and then, just so long as you don't break any.''

30. - Top - End - #270
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm surprised at Webinar's reaction to finding Sizemore.
    Why would you assume that Webinar has on;y just become aware of Sizemore's presence in the panel in question? Sizemore himself says in panel 1 "They/re awre of us - trying to swarm us" and Parson later tells him just keep hitting the leadership" implying that this is a tactic he's already been using. This is apparently not the first skirmish in the tunnels involving Sizemore et al, so it would be expected that as the overall force commander, Webinar would have been informed of the setup even before personally arriving on the scene.