New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Missionaries of Kalth (IC)

The Guardian

The Guardian shifts position slightly before stepping forward to attack Galrend, arms moving in a blue and silver blur as it attacks with blinding speed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Five-foot step prior to full attack, [i]if necessary[/] to gain flanking bonus with Yvette.
    To-hits; damages

(3)+18+2=23; (6)+12=18
    (12)+18+2=32; (3)+12=15
    (11)+13+2=26; (4)+12=16
    (1)+13+2=16; (8) unmodified to avoid critical fumble.
    (16)+8+2=26; (5)+12=17

I really hope a 26 hits. Actually, I really hope a 23 hits.
    "I was a great teacher. I didn't even tell the students to go f*** themselves or anything!" - John Smith
    My job requires frequent showering.

2. - Top - End - #152

The Guardian's glowing metaphysical blade flicks back and forth across Galrend's chest. The old dwarf clearly does not relish combat and flinches back cowering. The deep gashes across his body bleed his green robes red, but he is still alive.

Spoiler
    Show
    3 hits for 48 damage
    Last edited by mephassovar; 2008-12-14 at 12:05 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Azrien

The sorceress glares at Galrend, her eyes flashing. "You would turn the winds against me? Fool." She speaks a word and her robe begins to shine and ripple, images of swirling clouds passing across it. In the sky above the dwarven warriors, an answering shimmer appears. The air itself twists and coalesces into a great form of swirling wind and vapor.

In Auran, Azrien calls to the elemental, "Take whirlwind form and sweep up the dwarven warriors, but leave the old one! Do not touch my allies."

The elemental spins, creating a 50ft-tall vortex that sweeps across the front ranks of the dwarves. Where it touches the ground, a cloud of dust rises. After its pass through the dwarves it soars into the air.

Azrien's eyes are cold as she shouts to the priest in Dwarven, "Last chance. Order your troops to stand down, or I order the wind-spirit to fly high and then drop them. I am still willing to try to resolve this in peace."

Spoiler
    Show
    Burning a L7 spell into the Robe of Mysterious Conjuration to fuel Summon Monster VII, for a Huge air elemental appearing above the dwarves. This is just a command word, not a spell, so shouldn't require Concentration. Air elemental will assume whirlwind form at maximum size and then sweep the base of the vortex through the dwarves' ranks. I'm not sure whether turning into a whirlwind is free or a standard action. If it's free, it'll double move, zoom through the squares of ~20 dwarves with its first 100ft of movement, then go 100ft up in the air assuming it managed to pick some up. If assuming whirlwind-form is a standard action, it'll vacuum 15 dwarves and then rise so its base is 25ft off the ground (planning to fly high and possibly drop on the next round). In either case it will prioritize those who have weapons out and threatening - the captain, those attacking the Guardian, and those with loaded crossbows.
    When it goes through the dwarves' squares they need a DC 22 reflex save to avoid taking 2d8 damage, and a second DC 22 reflex save to avoid being picked up in the winds.
    If this tactic doesn't work out well, she'll probably activate her Belt of Battle and do something else. I just want to see if the dwarf vacuumer will work: Azi likes spectacular
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

4. - Top - End - #154

The incarnate air swirls around the front rank of dwarves, buffeting them with great force. About ten of them are swept into the air with the forces of it, but the dwarven captain is seen with his axe dug into the ground, clinging to the ground and barking a few unheard orders.

Azrien's powerful voice is partly lost due to the conditions and it seems that Galrend has not heard the demand, or is more preoccupied with his own situation. The dwarves are, however, quite fearful at this point and might yield with a little more persuasion...

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

Seeing the chance to end the fight with a little more intimidation, Alain shouts fell words into the air, creating a wall of spinning, deadly blades above the dwarves. "Last chance. Stand down or we'll be picking your pieces up off the ground in a few moments."

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty straightforward. Casting Blade Barrier immediately above the dwarves' leader, on a line that avoids putting the wall above the Guardian and otherwise includes as many dwarf targets as possible. Concentration check for casting: (1d20+22)[23] The intent is to give the dwarves a chance to surrender, or Moonwort reverses gravity and sends them through the blender.

6. - Top - End - #156

The sheer might of magic surrounding them has the well disciplined dwarven group heavily shaken. They show signs of being ready to scatter in fear. Their captain's resolve is far stronger but he looks to Galrend and seems to answer only to him. Galrend looks up to the sky, his wounds spurting blood on the Guardian's gleaming mithril, and it is obvious to those around that he has seen something beyond the battle and the winds that stirs his attention and his powerful wind magic suddenly ends.

Galrend smiles through the pain and says in a voice loud enough for only the Guardian and Yvette to hear, Your foolish fighting has only tired you, behold the real bringer of today's fortune!. He gestures to the sky, pointing out a figure that you may not have noticed:
    Spoiler
    Show
    if you did, she appeared from nowhere a moment ago - Moonwort probably noticed, but it doesn't really matter

A bat-winged and unclothed succubus flies about 100 feet above you. She is headed for the fortress...

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Azrien

As the winds around her die down, Azrien nods in satisfaction and pulls herself to her feet. She flies toward Galrend and calls to the air elemental in Auran, "Lower these dwarves gently to the ground, do them no further harm. Then go pick up that succubus - NOT the winged half-fiend, the naked bat-winged woman."

To the dwarf, she says in Common, "We are not your foes, and I hope you realize that now. Do you need healing, or can you restore yourself?" She looks up at the succubus and frowns. "And if you could give me the very short version of your prophecy I would greatly appreciate it."
    Last edited by Ifni; 2009-01-01 at 06:46 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

8. - Top - End - #158

The swirling vortex drops slowly to the ground and zooms off in the direction of the succubus, who is herself flying towards the fortress. The succubus has noticed the creature and turns round to face it, quickly incanting a spell which causes the elemental to disappear, possibly banished.

The dwarves, angry at the magic which almost had them cut into pieces in mid air, look to Galrend for their next move. The old dwarf looks with disdain upon Azrien saying,
    I dread to think where your healing magic would come from, and I will keep my own company when it comes to the prophecies of the ancient ones. Suffice it to say, that the fiend that now flies towards the fortress will bring about a chain of events that will prove Barum's undoing. We will watch - I care not what you do.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Tomlin

Bristling with anger Tom banks in mid air and turns towards his fellow Kalthites scanning the amassed Dwarves for Galrend, but as yet a little blind with rage. He spits a word through his beard in a growled whisper:

Fly

That wreched little creature and its foul crowd of rock-botherers will not outlive the afternoon. Where is it? I want to make it's blood boil and its bones freeze. Evil one, indeed!

And summoning a Sword, an Angelthug, a sub-bestial machine... and for retribution against deserved insults! I have seen less selfish and less self-agrandising acts punished with years of persecution. What I will do when I lay my eyes on his sorry carcass will see that process accelerated. After all it will soon be lunchtime...

Tom hears the dwarf call out and looks upon the tatters of the once proud dwarf. He can't help but grin, slowing the horse almost immediately after setting out then begins a wider approach, still towards Tom's companions casting an admiring eye on the blades whistling over the heads of the dwarves.

So my comrades have been busy negotiating. Ah, Tin Man, you've earned your oil today. Hopefully that woeful priest of rocks and pebbles will hold his nasty little tongue. Enough, let this end without a drop of blood on my hands.

Spoiler
    Show
    Command horse verbally to activate its spell-like ability Overland Flight.
    Last edited by Tishlin; 2009-01-06 at 12:42 PM. Reason: spoiler inserted

10. - Top - End - #160

As you watch, the succubus flies right to the front of the entrance. You do not hear the great booming voice that greeted the dwarves, rather the door opens straight away. The great iron doors swing just wide enough to permit the succubus to enter - and in she strolls.

11. - Top - End - #161

Alain glances at the succubus continuing through the fortress's gates, but the need for further information is too much for him to take immediate action. Turning back to Galrend, he tries to calm the old dwarf further. "Please accept my friend's offer of healing. We are not all so bad as you may think, and her healing comes from a unicorn friend. Allow me to apologize again for the poor excuse for a bard, and please remember we have only defended ourselves so far, and we went to some effort not to cause more harm than was necessary."

As a gesture of good will, Alain dismisses the blade barrier before continuing.

"Besides, we have no alliances in this area so far; we don't care for the people in that fortress and I'd never trust a tanar'ri, but we're willing to cooperate with anyone provided mutual interests and basic trustworthiness. Could you possibly share information with us?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check: (1d20+21)[24] Alain won't show up on any casting of Detect Evil and, aside from being an elf, should be able to get along reasonably well with typically-lawful dwarves.

12. - Top - End - #162

Clearly aware that he is talking to someone who is being very polite, Galrend tries to appear more convivial.
    You may heal my men, although I shall pray for my own healing.
    Galrend's tone reverts a little towards its former venom:
    That bard, if that's what he is, is evil... as, rather obviously, is that she-devil. I won't help you - whatever it is you're up to. I haven't foreseen this, but I'll leave you to your own if you keep away from dwarven lands.
    I can see that you're interested in that fortress. That's dwarven lands.

13. - Top - End - #163

The Guardian

The Guardian slowly straightens, blades dissolving into the air in slow swirls of blue light. Its eyes fade as well, to a dull stony gray that sends a tiny chill through you when you look its way. The Guardian turns its head to track the succubus as it flies off, but makes no move to follow, remaining instead immediately behind Galrend.
    "Dwarven lands require dwarven occupation. Fortress occupants do not appear to be of dwarven descent. Conclusion: Dwarven claim to fortress is unenforceable and will be disregarded."
    Those watching closely notice a flicker of blue at the smooth edges of the Guardian's granite-gray eyes, and a single errant spark that jumps from vambrace to forearm with a barely audible pop.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to imbue Psychic Strike. Ready an action to make a melee attack against Galrend if he makes any threatening action at all, or attempts to cast a spell on anyone other than himself.
    Last edited by C12H22O11; 2009-01-06 at 10:47 PM.
    "I was a great teacher. I didn't even tell the students to go f*** themselves or anything!" - John Smith
    My job requires frequent showering.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Tomlin

Thank you Alain, that almost sounded convincing.

Now grounded and dismounted Tomlin adjusts his robe slightly.

I'm sorry to say that your pet might need a muzzle. It nearly had my head off with that ridiculous sword.

Tomlin realises that he's going off on one yet again and, in an astounding demonstration of self-awareness he ends hesitantly on the words rediculous sword, and appears to sag. For a moment he is reduced, a slightly absurd small roundish man. When he next speaks his voice has an aged quality, breaking at moments with tired emotion.

You'll have to excuse me my dear little man. Out of habit I don't bite my tongue, tool of the trade and all that.

The sadness leaves his voice as Tom enjoys the image and looks into Galrend's eyes. The eagerness comes rushing back os one old man looks to another for a moment of fellow feeling.

One does get so frustrated by the lack of common courtesy when travelling. But I see now that you've spent far too long with these rough and ready military types.
    Spoiler
    Show
    [OOC: I'd find it highly narratively satisfying if Tom were to compound his massive arrogance with the slight of indicating Galrend's son when making the remark about the soldiers]
    You are forgiven for your poor manners.

15. - Top - End - #165

Galrend (the sensitive soul) seems to be getting a little wound up again by Tomlin's conversation but stops himself as he notices something. That'll be that succubus again. humph.

The succubus appears to be leaving the fortress - if they close the door after her, you'll have to sprint to get in the door before it closes...

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yvette

Shan't we sieze the opportunity?

Yvette launches herself towards the fortress.

17. - Top - End - #167

Alain

Alain nods. "We should hurry. This may be our only opportunity to deal with Barum and his allies."
    Last edited by imperialspectre; 2009-01-14 at 11:06 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Tomlin

Tom turns about and chases close behind Yvette, keeping a watchful eye on the succubus as it makes its retreat.

Well if she's making a getaway with our little prize we'd know by now. It's not like she has any pockets to slip a gem into

He also fishes out a little Bead of Force from the recesses of his cloak.

19. - Top - End - #169

With Yvette at the helm, the group make a dash for the fortress. Demon almost collides with Devil at the doorway, but beyond the succubus there is an unexpected scene.

Several humans, some in armour, some dressed in skins and furs, stand around a corpse dressed in fine armour. The corpse is of a man in his thirties and it looks as though he died a painful magical death - drained of all colour with a malevolent arcane glow. Standing over him is a tired looking man of about forty with runes and strange markings tattooed onto his bald head.

The succubus obscures Yvette's view and the death scene has to be taken in very quickly. Another strange feature which some of you may have noticed is that the great iron doors are transparent from the inside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll initiative and decide where you all are in relation to the slightly open door. Yvette is just inside with the succubus directly in front of her. The rest of you are somewhere behind Yvette. No surprise round because neither group were really expecting each other.