New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Missionaries of Kalth (IC)

Azrien

Azrien quickly mutters a word and snaps her fingers. Four points of bright multicolored light appear around the group, casting dazzling light across their surroundings, and fly after Yvette.

Spoiler
    Show
    Azrien casts Quickened Dancing Lights, creating four lights at the edges of a 10ft radius sphere (so overall they should be illuminating ~30ft radius brightly, and about another 20ft shadowy - each one provides 20ft bright 20ft shadowy illumination) and moves them 100ft as a free action, first sweeping outward for other possible threats and then following Yvette to illuminate the threat she's identified. I'll hold my other actions until I find out what we see. Azrien will try to avoid breathing the gas as much as possible, but Dancing Lights does have a verbal component, albeit it's Quickened so she doesn't need to open her mouth for very long. If the gas is extremely painful to breathe or feels heavy enough to choke her, she will instead draw her rod of silent spell and use it on the Quickened Dancing Lights while holding her breath.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2008-09-28 at 10:49 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

Yvette reacts instantly to the situation and charges at a creature in the darkness. Azrien's conjured orbs light the room and you become aware of the situation.

You are in a dank, 80'x80' room with a cobbled floor and sheer walls. There is no discernable entrance. In fact, there is only one thing in this room other than yourselves: a twently foot tall stone golem. Great fists of granite adorn powerful stone arms. The great rock that it was hewn from could have been cut to make a street of houses. Magical runes are scratched all over it's surface and you see it awakening from slumber just as Yvette dives to strike it. Unfortunately her attack hits the creature square in the chest, where its armor is thickest. The golem shrugs off this blow, drawing up its arms to deliver a powerful retaliating blow.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Moonwort

Moonworts skin turns to bark and leaves cover him as he grows to fill the room. He rushes at the magical creature, his lower body seems to wade through the stone floor. Goodbark bounds after him, his fangs glowing.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Moonwort casts tiger tooth on Goodbark as a swift action, wild shapes as a standard action then moves into the golems square. making an automatic trample attack if the creature is small enough. Treants do double damage against objects. Goodbark will charge.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/treant.htm
    I can write up the stats for Moonwort as an treant if you want? Barkskin spell and natural armour bonus as a treant seem to stack. (lol)
    Last edited by Sneakystabsalot; 2008-09-29 at 01:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alain takes a moment to focus on the newly-illuminated enemy, and then his voice cuts through the sounds of joining battle. "It's a stone golem. It'll try to slow us down--a little mental focus ought to keep us safe. It's slow but tough--hit it hard."

His voice then shifts tone, chanting a brief magical phrase as he prepares for battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to make Dark Knowledge check with Knowledge Devotion, roll in the OOC. Standard action to cast Divine Power on self.
    Last edited by imperialspectre; 2008-10-10 at 11:59 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Azrien

After summoning her sparkling lights, Azrien begins to sing quietly. Her hands sculpt outlines in the air. Misty white light surrounds her, coalescing into glowing trails that seem to trace the forms of horses.

The sorceress' eyes flash white as she spreads her hands wide. The ghostly unicorns charge across the room, leaping over Yvette and lowering their shimmering horns to strike at the golem's head and shoulders, tearing at the elemental spirit within.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Twinned Melf's Unicorn Arrow at the golem: I'll aim at one of its top squares to avoid the penalty for it being in melee with Yvette. Caster level is (1d6+14)[18].
    Ranged touch attacks are:

(1) (1d20+11)[12] for (1d8+8)[10]
    (2) (1d20+11)[13] for (1d8+8)[14]
    (3) (1d20+11)[30] for (1d8+8)[15]
    (4) (1d20+11)[18] for (1d8+8)[14]
    (5) (1d20+11)[26] for (1d8+8)[10]

(6) (1d20+11)[29] for (1d8+8)[14]
    (7) (1d20+11)[16] for (1d8+8)[10]
    (8) (1d20+11)[27] for (1d8+8)[9]
    (9) (1d20+11)[12] for (1d8+8)[12]
    (10) (1d20+11)[18] for (1d8+8)[12]

If I got 16 or lower on caster level, ignore rolls (5) and (10). The bullrush DC it needs to beat is 21 + 2*(number of hits - 1) - up to you if there are two separate bullrush attempts, or if all the hits count toward a single attempt. If it fails a bullrush check (which I doubt, given it gets to oppose it with Str + 8 if Huge, +12 if Gargantuan), it moves back 5 feet, plus 5 feet for every 5 points by which it failed the check. I will move before casting if pushing it in a particular direction might help open up a charge lane for PCs.

Note that the damage from Melf's Unicorn Arrow is untyped, SR:no spell damage: it'll ignore its DR and magic immunity.

EDIT: Grrrr, two natural 1's? Oh well. Total damage, assuming touch AC 13 hits the flatfooted golem, is 98. Bull rush DC is 35 if you're counting all horns toward one attempt, or two bullrushes at DC 27 if you're counting the two sets separately.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2008-09-29 at 11:44 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Tomlin

Tomlin lets out a wheezing groan from about floor level
    Last edited by Tishlin; 2008-11-06 at 10:12 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

Azrien's bolts of magic, hit the granite being hard, slamming it back against the wall. It hasn't moved much, but it seems to have noticed the impact. Relentlessly, however, it strikes down hard with both statuesque fists, crushing Yvette's shoulders and giving her great shooting pains along her arms. The half fiend is not overly shaken though, and seems to stand tall and strong in defiance of the assault.

Slow to react, the Guardian seems about to make his contribution, standing by Moonwort, Alain and Goodberry who are also poised to strike - Tishlin remains down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry I've been away for so long. had another chance to grab a laptop for a few minutes, so I've put this up. Be prepared for Tishlin to act as GM if required over the next few days.

Yvette is struck for 49 damage in total so please note that, Belladonna. C12H22011 still has his turn to go before this round is over, but he has been waiting for me. My replies may not have been as thorough as I would have liked, but we'll gett nicely back on track very soon. Hope you are all well, btw.
    Last edited by mephassovar; 2008-10-06 at 07:38 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68

the Guardian

>High-level target detected. Patching stream to Main.
    >Visual systems online. Patch stream providing secondary tracking and analysis.
    >WARNING: Target priority 1. Immediate action required.

The Guardian stands relatively motionless, assessing the situation until the golem lands both its blows on the bat-winged Yvette. Then, as if waiting for the stone figure to make the first move, the Guardian springs into action. "Spellcasters, remain stationary! Golem is capable of causing significant physical harm!"
    With that, the Guardian raises its right arm, and discharges a crackling blue bolt of energy that streaks across the intervening space with a deep foom!, setting everyone's hair on end for a brief second. The burst lances into the center of the golem's chest, but chips away only a few flakes of stone, most of the force dissipating harmlessly on the surface of the massive stone slab. "Moving to engage target!"
    The Guardian then takes off at a dead run, moving about twenty feet straight towards the golem before jumping at it. The now-airborne mass of gleaming metal tucks itself into a tight ball as a shield-like array of metal plates pops out of its left arm, providing additional protection as the Guardian hurtles spinning thruogh the air, flying straight through the gap between the stone golem's upraised arm and hip...

Spoiler
    Show
    I took some liberties with the attack description, since I'm pretty sure a 19+19+3=41 hits. Damage is 3+13+3-10=9, which is pretty pathetic. If that golem wasn't a golem, that single attack would have done 39 damage after DR was applied.
    Jump check is a 12+36=48, giving me enough Jump movement to extend into next round's actions (48-foot long jump + 20 feet of movement is considerably more than the Guardian's 50-foot move speed). Tumble check to move through an occupied square without provoking AoOs is an 8+21=29, success. Guardian "draws" its shield as a free action while moving, bringing its AC up to the full 32.
    The Guardian is basically IN the golem's occupied area until it can complete its move on the next round's action, meaning that it provides no flanking bonus for Yvette.
    EDIT: Added the Dark Knowledge bonuses to hit and damage, whoops!
    Last edited by C12H22O11; 2008-10-05 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Hey, more damage appeared from nowhere!
    "I was a great teacher. I didn't even tell the students to go f*** themselves or anything!" - John Smith
    My job requires frequent showering.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yvette

Yvette concentrates and regains her focus.

She roars:You will be defeated!!!

I must maintain my position and defend the casters from immediate attack!

Recovering her stance, Yvette launches herself at the stone giant.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full Attack, power attack for 11.
    1st: d20+13=32 for 34 damage (d6+22+2d6)
    2nd: d20+8=27 for 32 damage (d6+22+2d6)
    3rd: d20+3=11 misses
    Bite: d20+6=13 misses
    Claw: d20+6=21 misses
    Last edited by belladonna; 2008-10-11 at 05:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Azrien

Azrien glares at the golem, eyes still glowing white. "You should not have hurt Yvette. Chaos unmake you!"

She dances swiftly to the side, lining up a second shot from an angle not blocked by a walking tree or a somersaulting Guardian. The trailing mists of magic follow her, still shrouding her in a cloak of silvery light. Again her hands trace shapes in the air, but this time the unicorns that coalesce before her are taller and grander, glowing like sunlight. Again they leap forward, striking through the golem's stone body to the bound elemental spirit trapped within.

Spoiler
    Show

Azrien casts Empowered Melf's Unicorn Arrow and uses Residual Magic to apply the Twin from last round for free. I doubt I'll be able to avoid the melee penalty this turn, but I hope that by moving I can negate cover (I only need a clear line to one of the golem's squares). The -4 penalty for melee is included in the attack rolls below.
    Caster level is (1d6+14)[17].
    Ranged touch attacks are (damage rolls are before applying Empower):

(1) (1d20+9)[10] for [/roll]1d8+8[/roll]
    (2) (1d20+9)[10] for [/roll]1d8+8[/roll]
    (3) (1d20+9)[12] for [/roll]1d8+8[/roll]
    (4) (1d20+9)[16] for [/roll]1d8+8[/roll]
    (5) (1d20+9)[22] for [/roll]1d8+8[/roll]

(6) (1d20+9)[27] for [/roll]1d8+8[/roll]
    (7) (1d20+9)[14] for [/roll]1d8+8[/roll]
    (8) (1d20+9)[20] for [/roll]1d8+8[/roll]
    (9) (1d20+9)[14] for [/roll]1d8+8[/roll]
    (10) (1d20+9)[20] for [/roll]1d8+8[/roll]

If I got 16 or lower on caster level, ignore rolls (5) and (10).

EDIT: Grrr. Another two nat 1's, and I messed up all my damage rolls. I'll roll damage in the OOC and post the result here.

EDIT2: Total damage from OOC thread is 144, bullrush DCs are 25 and 29.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2008-10-10 at 11:53 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71

Alain

Alain raises his weapon hand toward the ceiling, and a wave of divine power washes over the party. A few calm words later, and those fighting the golem within close range feel a burst of strength and health fill their bodies. His spellcasting done, Alain calls again to the party. "The golem shows a significant preference for slow, vertical attacks. Dodge to the side and deflect them--you'll evade more of its blows."

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action to cast a quickened Prayer (+1 luck to attack, damage, skills, and saves--should stack with all current equipment and magic) on the party. Standard action to cast a chained Valiant Fury (+4 morale to STR and CON, +2 morale to Will saves, extra attack on full attacks as with Haste) on the party, including the animal companion. Move action to make a second Dark Knowledge check to boost AC. (1d20+29)[48]

And that result gives a +3 insight bonus to AC for the party.
    Last edited by imperialspectre; 2008-10-11 at 05:26 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

The Guardian's small bolt causes little noticeable damage to the great mass of stone that hulks over Yvette. Yvette's own blows, mighty as they are, merely chip at the surface of the enormous golem. Real impact is delivered by Azrien's magic and the creature is now slammed hard against the back wall of the room.

The granite behemoth looks poised to continue its relentless assault on Yvette, although lifting it's arms exposes many newly formed cracks. The floor is covered in stone dust and chips of rock.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Azrien

Azrien hisses in frustration as her first two unicorns fade back into the dreamworld before reaching the golem, and the stone colossus remains on its feet. Is something in this place interfering with my magic?

Her eyes darken in worry and anger as she gets a better look at Yvette's wounds. She makes a small simple gesture with her hand, looks down, and touches her heart. A faint silver glow springs up around Yvette.

"Yvette, do you want to trade places? You're hurt!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Quickened Benign Transposition, or attempting to. Yeah, this will put Azi adjacent to the golem - but she has 141 HP at the moment (84 normally +27 empowered false life +30 increased Con), and can get more as an immediate action if required, so she should be able to take one round of attacks. Of course, hopefully Moonwort will kill it, or at least draw its attention
    Caster level is (1d6+14)[20]
    SR roll is (1d20)[4] plus whatever I got for CL
    On a success, Azi and Yvette swap places; on a failure, nothing happens (well, unless I burn my fatespinner reroll... we'll see).
    EDIT: I think 24 on SR is enough for Yvette, right? The spell is also willing-only, so if she doesn't want to move, nothing happens - but I'm hoping she will tell me before I cast if she doesn't want it.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2008-10-12 at 01:59 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yvette

Remembering her conversation with Azrien in Sigil, Yvette realises the sorceresses intentions.

Shouting over the noise of the battle:
    Do it now!

15. - Top - End - #75

Alain

Alain, hearing the shouts, quickly divines the sorceress' intentions as well. "What the Hells are you thinking? Put me in there, I can survive and do some damage."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Azrien

"All right, Alain. Take care!"

The silvery glow appears around Alain as well, then a thin thread of silver fire arcs between the archivist and the half-fiend. They both vanish in a flash of argent flame and instantly reappear, their positions reversed.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2008-10-12 at 05:15 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Moonwort

Moonwort stands before the creature, he rains down two wild and furious blows upon its stricken body.

Spoiler
    Show

As a treant:
    str 29 +4 +4 +2 + 39
    Con 29 206hp
    10+3+9+13+5 AC 40
    base 11 +14str +3moral +4enhance , -5power attack +27
    dmg (+14 +4 +5 +2d6) x2 +3d6

HIT ROLLS: 3, 8 /cry
    damage 18 +46 +11 75
    16 +46 +5 67
    142 damage if they both hit on my terrible rolls

18. - Top - End - #78

The huge treant, who's topmost branches scrape the ceiling of the room, moves in to assault the golem just as Yvette is whisked out of the action to be replaced by Alain - buzzing with magic. A few blows of its mighty trunks are enough to pound the golem into oblivion. As the giant slab begins to split into shards, some sort of reaction seems to be happening within the bared core of the creature. Something is ignited and a sudden blast of flame engulfs the room.

The blast seems to rouse Tomlin, and he awakens, charred and drowsy.

Tomlin, Azrien and Alain are still very conscious of the choking air that they are breathing. There seems to be no way out of this room. Azrien and Guardian (with their permanent detect magic) are aware of a moderate magical aura which fills the room - Azrien recognises it as abjurative magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Regardless of Moonwort's dubious mathematics, he hits at least once and does at least enough damage to floor the Golem. In case anyone is uncertain, objects are simply defined as 'non-creatures' so this golem is not an object.

Damage from the explosion (fire):
    Yvette 11
    Guardian 21
    Azrien 21
    Moonwort 42 (halved then doubled)
    Tomlin 42
    Alain 42
    Last edited by mephassovar; 2008-10-13 at 03:46 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yvette

As singed cuticles flake from around the fiend's claws, Yvette remembers the heat of home.
    The image is enough to make her forget any pain or discomfort.
    She stands tall and addresses her cremated friends:

Is everyone well? Tomlin, you missed quite a display! - took a bomb to wake you!

I hope everyone is alive! That gas seems disagreeable to them.
    Unpredictable incident!

Contemplatively examining a piece of the wreckage, Yvette says: I never knew golem-like creatures capable of such behaviour?!
    Last edited by belladonna; 2008-10-13 at 09:45 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

Alain

The blast hurls Alain backward from the enemy he had just reached, but he manages to roll enough to avoid any additional injuries on the stone floor. Coming to a halt, he decides to lay back and take a few moments to recover. I really need an abjuration against fire soon. "Why do they always explode?" he asks to nobody in particular, before standing slowly and channeling healing energy through himself.

"Well done, aside from the fireball. Any casualties?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Azrien

As the golem explodes in fire, Azrien cries out a word of magic, and leaps out of the way of the blast with an agility not previously apparent. Landing lightly on her feet, she turns to look anxiously over the rest of her party, relaxing as she sees none of them are fatally hurt.

"I'm not hurt, Alain. But hmm, we should find a way out of here."

She raises her willow runestaff and chants a brief spell of finding, then begins to walk around the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Azi didn't know how scary the blast was going to be, she would have cast Ruin Delver's Fortune - immediate action, grants her evasion and a +8 luck bonus on reflex saves. I'll cross off the L4 spell slot. After the blast, she will use her runestaff and a L1 spell slot to cast Detect Secret Doors.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

Walking around the room (stepping over the mound of granite dust at one end), Azrien notices nothing unusual in the room which is has slick wet walls, a cobbled floor and ceiling made from huge stone slabs - thirty feet up. Even Moonwort, from his elevated positon, can see nothing that appears to be an opening. Goodbark is struggling with the gas in the air and looks like he's about to pass out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot about your spell, Ifni - you take no damage from the blast.

I have been making fort saves for those that require it, and will tell you if any of you fall unconscious. The blast of fire has used up a lot of the oxygen in the room and Moonwort doesn't produce much unless he's photosynthesising.

Azrien's dancing lights will fade soon.

Can you give me another fort save in your next post, Tish (secondary damage... hehehe).
    Last edited by mephassovar; 2008-10-13 at 01:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

Alain begins studying the walls with some care, trying to evaluate if they are load-bearing or not. "Azrien, do you have enough Disintegrate spells remaining to blast us out of this place? It may not be load-bearing, which means the ceiling wouldn't come down on us if we took a chunk out of the wall."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Architecture) to determine the way that the room is put together. Unless the ceiling is domed, the walls probably aren't load-bearing structures to the degree that a 10 ft^3 chunk would make any difference.

(1d20+11)[18]

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Tomlin

Tomlin reaches out in front of him with one charred hand, a moan turning into a yelp at full extension and takes a small lump of granite that has landed within reach. His skin, where visible is a grey green colour and his eyes look sunken. Patches of skin and hat and hair are welded seamlessly together on his head as he glares up, one eyed at Yvette. Scowling he turns his mind away from the pain and calls out to the divine harmonics that are woven just beneath the surface of reality. His hands,clasping the painfully hot fragment, reach into the relative cool of his smouldering robe and with a few muttered words Tom's skin becomes stone shifting from one grey deathly tone to another.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tomlin will cast Stone Body on himself using a bit of golem as additional focus. He becomes immune to poison, critical hits, loses 4 dex, gains 4 strength, and immune to physiological unpleasantness of all kinds

With exaggerated care he lifts himself up and noisily dusts himself off, clattering stone hands off stone flesh, coming to a statuesque halt.

He breaks his gaze from the fiend and looks to Alain.His voice is at the most honeyed and mellow you've heard it, but there's a harmonic of resolute anger deep down.

Alain, be a dear and help me out a little. Some wit seems to have tried to set fire to me while I was asleep. Rascal's left me in quite a state. Got anything for charred flesh about your person?
    Last edited by Tishlin; 2008-11-06 at 10:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Alain bows slightly and weaves divine energies together, curing a great deal of Tom's ailments. "That should do you for the time being. Don't you have any healing magic yourself, though? We may need it once we're out of here."

Continuing his examination of the wall, the archivist comes to a quick conclusion. "The best way out of here may be the most straightforward. Azrien, we should be able to disintegrate a small section of wall. Put a 1-foot-square tunnel through this wall, if you please, and we'll see if we hit daylight. If it works, we'll obviously have air eventually, and I can turn us into mist so we can just float through."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Tomlin

What healing I can't borrow from friends I'll steal from fools.

Tomlin squats down and puts his haversack on the tiled floor. He draws out a large plain wooden box with a sliding top. Inside are a small number of coloured pebbles.

We're some wretch's prisoner and I won't stand for it. Ah, here we go, Tom draws a misshapen, black pebble and stands up with it in his palm, moving to toss it up in the air, but thinking better of it at the grinding of his joints. Lets have a look at what's beyond these walls. If anyone can follow me onto the ethereal plane then do so. You're more than welcome. I promise to return here in a moment.

Tomlin pauses, and takes in the room. And then a smile cracks into place amongst the wavey representations of hair accross his stony face. A rusty stain starts to show about his cheeks, a mineral blush in the dying light dancing about the room.

I do beg your forgiveness, I've been working quite alone for so long, I... The bluster returns to his voice and he steels himself. Well how's about it? Eh? Or do we wait about and watch the dog perish?

Without waiting for an answer Tomlin turns towards the wall nearest him, slips the haversack onto his shoulder and holds out the black stone. He pauses in this position, motionless.
    Last edited by Tishlin; 2008-11-06 at 10:13 PM. Reason: typos aplenty

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Azrien

"Hmm. I have plenty of magical power left, I can certainly make holes in the walls - but I'm not sure I can make a tunnel. Normally the chaos beam just unmakes a cube, I haven't tried focusing it down to a narrow drill before."

The sorceress' eyes narrow in fascinated curiosity. "There's some sort of interesting magic on this place, as well, like the Dorakaa teleport-traps. It pulls dimensional travellers in, and stops them from teleporting out. I wonder how far it extends? If it's just keyed to the walls of the room, disintegrating just a little way out might be enough to get us out of the effect. Hmm. Or maybe one of you could try to dispel it?"

"We could use thoqquas to tunnel, too. Thoqquas are so cute. I bet Moonwort could summon lots of thoqquas - and don't you have that spell-extending rod, Moonwort? They could stay around for ages." Azrien's gaze on Moonwort has become faintly covetous.

"Oh, and I think I have enough soulforce now to ask the Magic directly for help, if we really need it. But let's see if we can work out another way first."
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88

The Guardian

The Guardian, having avoided the worst of the explosion by hurtling through the fringe of it while in the air, comes to rest in a crouch facing the center of the room. Noticing the pile of stone fragments and dust, the Guardian stands up, eyes fading from blue back to gold as its shield retracts with a faintly metallic shnick!. Suffering from little more than a few scorch marks and slightly melted armor plates, the Guardian turns to survey the room while the rest of the party argues about the best way to put a hole in a stone wall.

>Combat effectiveness lower than expected.
    >Calculating... optimal configuration found.

>Reconfiguring systems.
    23%...
    47%...
    84%...
    >Modifications complete. Core settings updated.

Those standing near the Guardian and not distracted by the smoky, stinging atmosphere in the chamber notice a blue glow envelop the Guardian's left forearm, matching the glow from the right... although both look just a faint bit dimmer than before. Seeming to come back from a momentary distraction, the Guardian steps towards Tomlin's outstretched hand. "Is this mode of exploration compatible with inorganic material?"
    "I was a great teacher. I didn't even tell the students to go f*** themselves or anything!" - John Smith
    My job requires frequent showering.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Azrien

"Hmm, maybe wait a moment before you cast your spell, Tomlin - although it would be great to have an ethereal scout, this area has some sort of weird dimensional-locking effect on it. It's designed to trap teleport spells, and it only seems to stop you leaving the area - my swap-spell worked - but I think it might be tricky to go ethereal, and it would be a shame to waste your spell."

Azrien looks up at the great treant. "Moonwort, could you try summoning some unicorns, maybe? I think a few people are still hurt, and the unicorns could heal them and make me and Alain and Goodbark immune to this nasty poison in the air for a while - and then we'll know if summoning spells work. I think they should, since they're bringing creatures to here, not trying to make anything leave."

She turns back to study the wall, eyes flashing through the colors of the rainbow. "Alain, maybe I can carve out a tunnel with the chaos beam - I can shape and twist and warp my spells, so I could try applying those techniques to the beam. It'll be harder than a normal Make Hole, though - I probably only have enough spellpower to do it three or four times, and I can only tunnel a few hundred feet at most. Do you have an idea for what direction we should try?"
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

"If you can fly up to the ceiling and make a tunnel going straight up, I think that would be ideal. If we can only make a relatively short tunnel, it's most likely they won't have put us far underground with no means of accessing this place--the costs of moving that much stone would be prohibitive even with two or three wizards working full-time."
    Last edited by imperialspectre; 2008-10-15 at 09:39 AM.