New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default Gender Indicators

Hi. Following a debate that started recently on the Wizards of the Coast forums, I'd like to ask whether any of the users of these forums have found the gender indicators problematic. Were you ever harrased, treated insultingly, or anything like that, because people saw your indicated gender?

Thanks for your feedback. If you want to see the original debate, it is here.
    I am absolutely convinced that, deep down, things don\'t make sense; and yet, logic is all we\'ve got.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Gender Indicators

Ive never had the problem on this or any other board. I suppose, however, that I can see it happening, as there are rude people in the world. There should always be a way to hide your gender, if theres not (I gave mine without a second thought so im not sure).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I've never had a problem with it either. Of course, the boards I frequent don't exactly lend themselves to that sort of thing. I can see where the WotC boards, being a larger, public entity, could attract that sort of person/problem.
    "Don't worry, Ka'Sala, we'll hurt you...I mean, help you!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Nope never had a problem about gender, but I am thankful to god in heaven that there is not an age indicator then I would be all biased to hell. (I'm twelve, now think about an instant reaction to a twelve year old and then compare it to one made to someone who is eighteen.)
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

5. - Top - End - #5

Or someone who is thirty-five.

I can understnad the problem, but have never encountered it -- but I would expect most problems to be for women, anyway (seeing as how aggressive and idiotic our gender is, of course).

I'm not really sure which all parts of this are sarcastic, but... well, there is no but. If I sound less stupid and idiotic if the passage in question is sarcastic, assume it is.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think that these boards are too good to let something like that happen, it might on other boards but the mods here are really really good, so I think they'd stop that problem before it even started.

Oh yes I agree with White Blade, thank GOD there isn't an age indicator
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

7. - Top - End - #7

Well... there is if anyone takes a gander at the profiles, but, such an occurrence is rare -- but I don't care that you're 13 anyway! (Little whelp)
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

8. - Top - End - #8

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, my secret is out! Just when I thought I had everyone fooled too
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

Your only fifteen.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I used to play EverQuest quite a bit. After I was bored with my druid character, I started a ShadowKnight. I didn't really think about it, but thought that a female dark elf would be cool, so I made one.

I was running around one of the lower areas trying to level (as my druid had done, years before), when I experienced something my druid never did. I was getting harassed as a female character. I'd usually respond with "Dude, for all you know, I'm an old guy behind the keyboard." and that usually scared them away.

I didn't read the post at WotC, but I suspect that guys don't have as much of a problem with this as gals.

Here at Giant in the Playground, we definately have NO tolerance for that kind of mess, and if any of our members are feeling harassed, regardless of reason (age, gender, whatever), please feel free to notify a mod.

11. - Top - End - #11

You know what, during my time at the WOTC forums, not once did I find a trace of gender discrimination. The other problem is that sometimes people have a Counterstrike female doohickey

CED, for those of you who dont know, is basically members of the female sex often are treated a lot better than us men.

Well, there is my two cents. I gave you a dime so you owe me 8 cents. Haha, I can add and most of you can too.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, thanks. It seems that this supports my argument. The discussion on WotC was locked due to spam, but I'll open a new one.
    I am absolutely convinced that, deep down, things don\'t make sense; and yet, logic is all we\'ve got.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you realize that the gender indicator can be turned off?

It doesn't really matter here, we're fairly mature compared to some boards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

14. - Top - End - #14

Yes, everyone does, probably because it starts that way. That's not even what this threads purpose was in the first place
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winged One
    Do you realize that the gender indicator can be turned off?
    So can the age indicator, for that matter. You won't find out my age by reading my profile.

Reading my posts, I admit, is another matter - I've acknowledged it in several places. :)
    The member of the Australian Society for the Encouragement and Propagation of Beards. - Custom avatar by Moonsinger. Technical assistance by Quasimodo.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

[blue]I think its better to find out things about people by actually talking to them, instead of just looking at their profiles. I know a number of forums that are guilty of "You are just 13 what do you know!" etc. Good to see none of that here though.[/blue]
    Once known as \'DarthBling\'&&&&^ Everyone has permission to use the above sig, if they so desire ^&&

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, I've had bad experiences with age indicators in my past too. Like White Blade, I'm only 12, and instead of saying "What do you know?" they just ignored me completely. You can see why I no longer post there.
    I cannot actually think of anything witty to say here.

Proud owner of a Gorbatar

Important 9-11 information
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Uncle_Doug View Post
    Wizard: "I move the rock with the power of magic!"
    Psionicist: "I move the rock with the power of my mind!"
    Shadowcaster: "I move the rock with the power of Shadow!"
    Truenamer: "Asknsdfksdfhasdjfhsn!" *rolls a 5* "Blast! Not again."

Trophy Case
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

I never state "what do you know" to the 12-13 year olds around here, I am..however..surprised that someone that young role plays. (I've heard of five year olds role playing, though.) I'd never even HEARD of DnD til the movie came out, and I didn't start role playing until I was around 18-19 (first VtM and a year later, DnD)

19. - Top - End - #19

I'm a 13 year old rp-er and DM, I learned how to play when I was like, 3 or 4, because my dad taught me. But I changed my age thing in my profiler to say thaty I'm 4
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

20. - Top - End - #20

Planetar

My dad had played DnD but I had to figure out that it existed in a half-price book store when I was eight.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by White Blade
    My dad had played DnD but I had to figure out that it existed in a half-price book store when I was eight.
    the dynamics of playing with a parent as DM could be seriously "interesting".

BOT: I'd thought about not using the gender indicator, but then my choice of avatar...

If it was searchable, that would be trouble.
    a)What would Banjo do? b)wear my pointy stick c)I'm on an adventure!!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi everyone ;D

I first heard of DND when my parents told me that my cousin's parents disowned her because she was practising evil rituals and worshiping satan. I asked what she was doing, and they told me about DnD. (she wasn't satanist at all. in fact, she was still christian.)

Needless to say, the stance that the church has taken against our harmless passtime is completely obsurd.

As per the gender situation, I'm in quite the spot most places I go. I'm a pre-op male to female transsexual. I'm 20 years old, and I'm far too honest for my own good. It's a sensative subject because most people don't know anything about it; and if they have, it's usually a bad example. A lot of people think of transsexuals as weird big hairy men who walk around wearing dresses. I'm not a crossdresser, I don't "get off" on dressing in women's clothing, it just comes natural to me (and I dress quite androgenously). I've known I was born the wrong sex since I was 3 years old, and it's been a big issue my whole life.

Most of the time, when I tell people this, they are open minded and willing to get to know me before harrassing me. Many many people though, especially in the faceles environment of the internet, seem to find great pleasure in calling me names.

(BTW, my forum name "estrogen" is a nickname I seem to have developed amongst my frinds. just fyi, so u don't think i'm TOO weird. Although weird is generally a good way to describe me :p)

I always identify my gender as female because that's what it is. There is a difference between gender and sex. My sex is just something that happens to be in transition.

Anyway, this is my first post (kinda embarrasing lol). I've read around a bit and it seems like a nice community, so...

*waves, smiles* :)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

I have been harrassed and insulted, but there's no way of knowing if it was because of my gender indicator. It's always the same people, but maybe they're just offended at me because of ... some reason.

Regarding age, I'm probably as old as any two (average) posters on the board, so I've certainly not been accused of "not knowing anything" because of my age - although the previously mentioned harrassers have rudely doubted I was as old as I claimed. You can't win. :)
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

24. - Top - End - #24

It's not your sex that's the problem. Plenty of people know my gender, and they're not offensive/offended in the least. But then, I tend to act like the opposite sex (it took everyone about a month or more to catch on to what I was.)

Really, if people are going to be childish about age/gender, you should just ignore them. Don't worry about avoiding telling everyone your gender, unless it's just fun for you. ;)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Wukei
    it took everyone about a month or more to catch on to what I was.
    and many still don't ;)

26. - Top - End - #26

Yea, except Banjulhu put me on that stupid "women gamers on OotS forum" thing...I don't think anyone but the person themselves should give away what gender they are....what if I'm trying to hide it for a reason?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Why would you want to hide it though? I doubt many, if any at all, people care if you're male or female.

I am actually a bit surprised at how young some people are on this board. I play some browser games and work with a 12 year old there, that has absolutely repulsive grammar. Kudos to you for being readable.
    Rhystati in Jumbled Minds&&Michael, the Fearless in Army D&D.&&And I\'m out of space.

28. - Top - End - #28

I hope you're not talking to me. I'm 22. If I weren't readable, I'd be ashamed. But I try to avoid cursing, even on boards where it's allowed.

You don't know who's looking.

But I've been rather fond of keeping my gender quiet because I had an internet stalker a few years back. Whenever I faked being male, he didn't seem to realize it was me until someone let it go that I was indeed female. Then my personality gave away the rest.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

At first I was talking to you, but I moved and talk more spcifically about how people about 10 years younger than us (I am also 22) here talk with better grammar than I see on other places on the 'net.
    Rhystati in Jumbled Minds&&Michael, the Fearless in Army D&D.&&And I\'m out of space.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Estrogen
    Hi everyone ;D

I first heard of DND when my parents told me that my cousin's parents disowned her because she was practising evil rituals and worshiping satan. I asked what she was doing, and they told me about DnD. (she wasn't satanist at all. in fact, she was still christian.)

Needless to say, the stance that the church has taken against our harmless passtime is completely obsurd.

As per the gender situation, I'm in quite the spot most places I go. I'm a pre-op male to female transsexual. I'm 20 years old, and I'm far too honest for my own good. It's a sensative subject because most people don't know anything about it; and if they have, it's usually a bad example. A lot of people think of transsexuals as weird big hairy men who walk around wearing dresses. I'm not a crossdresser, I don't "get off" on dressing in women's clothing, it just comes natural to me (and I dress quite androgenously). I've known I was born the wrong sex since I was 3 years old, and it's been a big issue my whole life.

Most of the time, when I tell people this, they are open minded and willing to get to know me before harrassing me. Many many people though, especially in the faceles environment of the internet, seem to find great pleasure in calling me names.

(BTW, my forum name "estrogen" is a nickname I seem to have developed amongst my frinds. just fyi, so u don't think i'm TOO weird. Although weird is generally a good way to describe me :p)

I always identify my gender as female because that's what it is. There is a difference between gender and sex. My sex is just something that happens to be in transition.

Anyway, this is my first post (kinda embarrasing lol). I've read around a bit and it seems like a nice community, so...

*waves, smiles* :)

Way to pour your heart out to a bunch of complete strangers. Kudos to you for finding who you are in life.

To Wukei: I figured out you were a girl real quick, I forget how though. Did you used to have the girl symbol thing? Why did you change your avatar, I liked the Life for Death one. I feel for ya on the stalker thing though. I have this girl that keeps coming by my apartment. She even let herself in a few times, though I don't know how. You see she's a 6 month old kitten. I keep telling her that it will not work. I am weak, I just might have to adopt her. Does this make me shallow? I have this bad tendency towards levity, many apologies. I have found the best way to get rid of crazies is to act more crazy than they are.

EDIT: When I say the kitten "stalks me", I mean she hides behind a corner and runs up and puts a paw on me. Okay, no more puns. The kitten is super jealous though. I had a friend that is female and human come over and the kitten totally hissed and scratched her.
    We thinkers may appear distant. Though, if you look closely, then you will find we are thoughtful.