New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread X

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    They aren't?
    1) Dinosaur skeletons have been found in Antarctica. ANTARCTICA!!! Sure, at the time, it wasnt -70 degrees F outside, that doesn't mean it wasn't immensely cold. I fail to see how a cold blooded reptile could survive such harsh conditions.
    2) Birds evolved from Dinosaurs.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, they kinda are. Today's reptiles are more evolved though, so if they are colorblind then the dinosaurs mostly likely were too.

Most animals are supposedly colorblind, actually. There are some exceptions (parrots, humans, and goldfish, who can actually see more colors than we can).

EDIT: Biologically speaking, dinosaurs are from the same class as extant snakes, lizards etc.: the Reptilia class (more properly called the Sauropsida class, biologists can't seem to agree on terms).
    Last edited by charl; 2008-10-03 at 04:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #693

Quote Originally Posted by Charl View Post
    Well, they kinda are. Today's reptiles are more evolved though, so if they are colorblind then the dinosaurs mostly likely were too.
    Then how could a dinosaur survive in antarctica, if todays reptiles havent evolved warm-bloodedness?

4. - Top - End - #694

Quote Originally Posted by The Randomizer View Post
    Then how could a dinosaur survive in antarctica, if todays reptiles havent evolved warm-bloodedness?
    1) It was warmer all over the planet at the time.

2) Antarctica wasn't in the same place it is today (tectonic plate shifts).

5. - Top - End - #695

1) It was warmer all over the planet at the time.
    Interesting. Source?

Quote Originally Posted by Charl
    2) Antarctica wasn't in the same place it is today (tectonic plate shifts).
    Ah yes, Pangaea, yeah, I do know about that, don't worry.
    But don't forget, that does not mean Antarctica is not in the deep south of the supercontinent, close to the southern polar ice cap.
    That would equal cold weather.

I'm not denying Antarctica was habitable at the time, just inhabitable for larger cold-blooded creatures. Like reptiles.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

1) Dinosaur skeletons have been found in Antarctica. ANTARCTICA!!! Sure, at the time, it wasnt -70 degrees F outside, that doesn't mean it wasn't immensely cold. I fail to see how a cold blooded reptile could survive such harsh conditions.
    2) Birds evolved from Dinosaurs.
    You epic fail paleontology

1) Antartica wasn't at the same position it is today. It was not at the south pole, it was part of the two supercontinents that stretched across both hemispheres. Furthermore, even if it was, it still wouldn't be immensely cold. The Mesozoic era was a time of great heat and humidity. There was no ice at the polar ice caps and the average global temperature was about 10 degrees celcius HIGHER than today's average.
    2) So? The dinosaurs are another evolutionary route taken by reptiles, but they are still classified under the Order Reptilia.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread X

"the maybe Yarr was right" in my new comic is because Yarrs was a racist about beholders. and Yarrs class is just spelled wrong its the same as Haley from OotS class.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ogre in the Playground

*high-fives kpenguin*

9. - Top - End - #699

Ah yes, Pangaea, yeah, I do know about that, don't worry.
    But don't forget, that does not mean Antarctica is not in the deep south of the supercontinent, close to the southern polar ice cap.
    That would equal cold weather.

I'm not denying Antarctica was habitable at the time, just inhabitable for larger cold-blooded creatures. Like reptiles.
    Wikipedia cites:
    (September 2002) in Trewby, Mary (ed.): Antarctica: An Encyclopedia from Abbott Ice Shelf to Zooplankton. Firefly Books. ISBN 1-55297-590-8.
    As a source for:

Africa separated from Antarctica around 160 mya, followed by the Indian subcontinent, in the early Cretaceous (about 125 mya). About 65 mya, Antarctica (then connected to Australia) still had a tropical to subtropical climate, complete with a marsupial fauna. About 40 mya Australia-New Guinea separated from Antarctica, so that latitudinal current could isolate Antarctica from Australia, and so the first ice began to appear. Around 23 mya, the Drake Passage opened between Antarctica and South America, which resulted in the Antarctic Circumpolar Current. The ice spread, replacing the forests that then covered the continent. Since about 15 mya, the continent has been mostly covered with ice,[26] with the Antarctic ice cap reaching its present extension around 6 mya.
    MYA = Million years ago.

Dinosaurs lived well before that time period. However, it would have been cold.
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...rs-200712.html This article is about the Antarctic dinosaurs (though only two kinds have been found to date, so it wasn't exactly full of dinos). It states the climate would have been similar to Chicago's modern climate. That could mean dinosaurs hibernated during the winter, as reptiles do in temperate climates
    I live in Sweden and we do have snakes and lizards here too. The trick is to sleep through the winters.

Also: this is fantasy. Dragons can live in cold. White dragons f-ing breath what must be liquid nitrogen. Why can't we have dinosaurs that can see color?

EDIT:
    2) So? The dinosaurs are another evolutionary route taken by reptiles, but they are still classified under the Order Reptilia.
    Reptilia (or Sauropsida as it is also called) is a Class, not an Order.
    Science: serious business.
    Last edited by charl; 2008-10-03 at 05:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    "the maybe Yarr was right" in my new comic is because Yarrs was a racist about beholders. and Yarrs class is just spelled wrong its the same as Haley from OotS class.
    Rogue

Easily one of the most often misspelled class names.

Also we can't cite dragons as evidence of cold dinosaurs. Dragons have much in common with cats as well as lizards, they're extremely evolved creatures.
    Last edited by Lyinginbedmon; 2008-10-03 at 05:14 AM.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    stop mocking the kobolds Beholder
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean what have I ever done to you (exept this)

@Rand: the age when dinosaurs wandered in that place was the coal age it was so hot that there wasn't any ice ( thats why burning fossile stuff like coal is so bad (global warming)).
    oh and whoever said pandas are bad its because of that bambus (the grass type they eat) was almost wiped out by over farming. no bambus= no food for pandas.
    pandas rules
    How could you cast a spell when a beholder was looking right at you?

12. - Top - End - #702

1) Antartica wasn't at the same position it is today. It was not at the south pole, it was part of the two supercontinents that stretched across both hemispheres. Furthermore, even if it was, it still wouldn't be immensely cold. The Mesozoic era was a time of great heat and humidity. There was no ice at the polar ice caps and the average global temperature was about 10 degrees celcius HIGHER than today's average.
    1 a) I thought I estsblished I already know about Pangaea
    1) 10 degrees C? That translates to 50 degrees fahrenheit. I find that somewhat farfetch'd, but nevertheless, winter in antarctica would've been the reptilian equivalent of "rocks fall everybody dies"
    2) First there was bacteria, then fish, then amphibians, then reptiles, then mammals/birds. There is an evolutionary order. It's just that fossil evidence links Dinosaurs to birds. There's even theories (which I believe in) that dinosaurs were warm-blooded.
    edit: Hibernation eh? If everything was +50 degrees warmer than usual, that could work.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2008-10-03 at 05:19 AM.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ogre in the Playground

1) 10 degrees C? That translates to 50 degrees fahrenheit. I find that somewhat farfetch'd, but nevertheless, winter in antarctica would've been the reptilian equivalent of "rocks fall everybody dies"
    2) First there was bacteria, then fish, then amphibians, then reptiles, then mammals/birds. There is an evolutionary order. It's just that fossil evidence links Dinosaurs to birds. There's even theories (which I believe in) that dinosaurs were warm-blooded.
    edit: Hibernation eh? If everything was +50 degrees warmer than usual, that could work.
    yeah but the fossil evidence also links dinosaurs to mammals and reptiles.
    Just because birds evolved from dinosaurs doesnt mean dinosaurs already were birds.

Some dinosaurs have been claimed to be birds already. Such as dromaeosaurids, mostly because microraptor is believed to have been capable of flight.
    But T-Rex couldn't fly, not even in an F-14.

And if the colorblindness isnt enough, they still were terribly stupid.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

Yay my internet's still out.

and I have no idea what's going on, first everything is blue, then green, then red again.... and then I was standing next to some kobold.... only not really...

15. - Top - End - #705

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    *high-fives kpenguin*
    *high-fives threeshades back*

Reptilia (or Sauropsida as it is also called) is a Class, not an Order.
    Science: serious business.
    *looks it up*

I bow to your superior knowledge of biological classification.

1a) Pangaea was already broken up by the time dinosaurs were around, but only into two supercontinents, who's name escapes me at the moment
    1b) 10 degrees C increase does not translate into 50 degrees F increase, since they have different starting points. Antarctica's temperature was high enough to have dense foliage conisisting of cypress trees, ferns, and, in some areas, conifers. Such areas would hardly be deadly to reptiles if they could sustain such plants. There are, as you have said, theories that dinosaurs were warm-blooded. This does not make them birds, as you can see below...

2) Not precisely accurate. Evolution is not a step-ladder. Its a tree. Furthermore, even if it were a step-ladder, simply because one form of life was a precursor to another doesn't mean that the precursor is categorized the same as its descendants. Snakes evolved from lizards, but we categorize them separately. Dinosaurs do appear to the ancestors of birds, but their traits are more consistent with reptiles and we categorize them as such. Furthermore, birds are descendant of only one branch of dinosaur, the one containing raptors. We can't simply lump all the dinosaurs into birds simply because one branch of them are the precursors to our feathered friends.

16. - Top - End - #706

Just because birds evolved from dinosaurs doesnt mean dinosaurs already were birds.

Some dinosaurs have been claimed to be birds already. Such as dromaeosaurids, mostly because microraptor is believed to have been capable of flight.
    But T-Rex couldn't fly, not even in an F-14.

And if the colorblindness isnt enough, they still were terribly stupid.
    New set:
    1) Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there already mammals around at the time, in the form of small rodent-like creatures?
    2) Don't tell me you HONESTLY believed that I thought a T rex could fly a jet fighter? They'd be WAAAY too heavy, and their claws wouldn't reach the controls in a thousand years! This is assuming they have the knowledge and the eyesight to fly it.
    3) Brains? Who needs brains when you have a giant mouth?

17. - Top - End - #707

There is? I was under the impression that mammals were descendents of a different branch of reptiles that preceded the dinosaurs...

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

New set:
    1) Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there already mammals around at the time, in the form of small rodent-like creatures?
    2) Don't tell me you HONESTLY believed that I thought a T rex could fly a jet fighter? They'd be WAAAY too heavy, and their claws wouldn't reach the controls in a thousand years! This is assuming they have the knowledge and the eyesight to fly it.
    3) Brains? Who needs brains when you have a giant mouth?
    Of course i didnt, i know that you wouldnt even fit their head inside an eviscerated f-14 cockpit. But well point 3 is exactly my point to that last sentence in point 2

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ettin in the Playground

There is? I was under the impression that mammals were descendents of a different branch of reptiles that preceded the dinosaurs...
    If you're thinking of Mammal-like Reptiles, the two existed side-by-side. MlRs then died out and Reptiles took the lead, later the earliest Mammals branched off from Reptiles and thrived.

I'm no expert but it's probable they were putting some ancient genes and such from MlRs to work.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

Well yes. There were mammal-like reptilians before dinosaurs. The mammal-likes split into mammals and a lot of herbivorous dinosaurs (ceratopsia and sauropoda mostly)
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2008-10-03 at 05:37 AM.

21. - Top - End - #711

Oh snap, Science War!

*Takes cover*

Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #712

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Salmon View Post
    Oh snap, Science War!

*Takes cover*
    hehehe

I can't wait for NC's reaction to all this SCIENCE going on.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Salmon View Post
    Oh snap, Science War!

*Takes cover*
    We can win, we've got...

...um...

Anyone know any famous non-fiction archaeologists?

Meh, go eat your marshmallows Salmon
    Last edited by Lyinginbedmon; 2008-10-03 at 05:40 AM.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ogre in the Playground

david lambert

I dont know if hes famous i just took the name of the back of one of my dinosaur-science books.
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2008-10-03 at 05:41 AM.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Look at me! I'm David Hasslehof! [?]

*squeezes chin*

26. - Top - End - #716

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    We can win, we've got...

...um...

Anyone know any famous non-fiction archaeologists?

Meh, go eat your marshmallows Salmon
    I think you mean paleontologist. Archaeologists just go uncover ruins. Paleontologists uncover friggin' dinosaur bones.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you mean paleontologist. Archaeologists just go uncover ruins. Paleontologists uncover friggin' dinosaur bones.
    Which is a lot more awesome.

Could you imagine the sheer awesome, if Indiana Jones was a Paleontologist?

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ogre in the Playground

hehehe

I can't wait for NC's reaction to all this SCIENCE going on.
    Bleh, Biology. Respect it, never liked it, predict I never will.
    I'm doing Physics and Chemistry, the "Blow shi-stuff up" schools of science.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #719

Which is a lot more awesome.

Could you imagine the sheer awesome, if Indiana Jones was a Paleontologist?
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal T-REX Skull
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2008-10-03 at 05:52 AM.

30. - Top - End - #720

I just want to point out to Randomizer that even if dinosaurs were warmblooded, that doesn't mean they aren't reptiles. While we might not (to my knowledge) have any warm-blooded reptiles today, the definition of reptile is "an animal belonging to the reptilia (sauropsida) class." There is nothing about them having to be cold-blooded. ;)

And hey kobold, I resent your anti-beholder propaganda! Not all beholders are elitists with monocles and tall black hats. Some are pink and hand out free cookies.