New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Waiting for the Barbarians - An Imperial Variant Diplomacy Game

The year is 1861. The influence of Western Europe has been felt around the world. England, Holland, and France have built mighty empires, and yet the future of these empires is uncertain. Prussia and Austria loom large in Europe, and everywhere ambitious men are throwing off the shackles of colonial rule. The Confederate States of America has seceded from the Union, and the conflict threatens to throw the whole Western Hemisphere into chaos, as Mexico and Brazil also have dreams of grandeur. Japan, long the isolationist, has begun to look outwards, and China has built up massive armies. Turkey is yet strong, and has the potential to carve out an enormous empire in the crossroads of the world. Russia sits astride two continents, hoping to survive the storms brewing on all sides.

Welcome to Imperial Diplomacy! This post will contain lots of important information, so I'll make liberal use of spoilers.

Power assignments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rtg0922 - CSA (Confederate States of America)
    Drum-n-bass - BRA (Brazil)
    Trogador - RUS (Russia)
    TheVorpalBunny - PRU (Prussia)
    Bitzeralisis - JAP (Japan)
    Maldiem - BRI (Britain)
    Viggo - USA (United States of America)
    Wizard_of_the_Coat - HOL (Holland)
    Wolfpack - CHI (China)
    Moody the Wise - MEX (Mexico)
    The Squirrell - FRA (France)
    Silent Hunter - AUS (Austria)
    Benj - TUR (Turkey)

In order to use the website that Wizard_of_the_Coat suggested, I need to know your email addresses. You can post them here, or PM them to me. I promise I won't spam you, or even send you anything. This is so that the site can send you all the orders when I go in to look at them to resolve each turn. If you have a problem with this system, you can still PM your orders to me and trust that I won't read them before the deadline (But make sure you label them as your orders, or I might mistake them for correspondence). I *think* the website should work if only some of us use it, since it doesn't resolve the orders, it just emails them to people to prevent the GM-player from cheating.

The first set of orders will be due at some point next week. I'll set a specific date when it gets closer.

Please make a post here introducing yourself in character, if you intend to roleplay some sort of character in your diplomatic relations - which is always fun. You can look up who your actual head of state was in 1861, you can make up a fictional prime minister or something, whatever you want to do, within reason. One memorable persona was the user KuH playing as Kuhssolini, the Italian head of state. Have fun with it.

Even if you don't have any sort of character to roleplay, post here so we know you're ready to go.
    Last edited by Moody the Wise; 2008-10-09 at 12:33 PM.
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Waiting for the Barbarians - An Imperial Variant Diplomacy Game

Good evening.

I am Otto Roth, Prime Minister of the Austrian Empire and chief adviser to Emperor Franz Joseph, who has a long and impressive title that I will not unleash on you now.

I look forward to working with the friends of the people of Austria and letting the enemies of the country feel the wrath of the Austrian forces.

Thank you for listening.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

NecromancerGirl

His Beatific Emperor Tongzhi, Light of the Heavens wishes me to greet you all in his steed.

He looks forward to communicating with all of you in the future.

The Great Dynasty moves ever forward.

(And on a purely OOC note, does anyone have an adjudication program with the Imperial variant? My own personal favorite RealPolitik lacks that particular variant.)
    Last edited by Wolfpack; 2008-09-16 at 04:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Greetings,
    I am Ronaldo de Assis Moreira, from Brazil. I am here to open up negotiations with other countries. If you have nothing nice to say we will stomp on your land with our soccer cleats.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by drum-n-bass; 2008-09-16 at 05:16 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

OoC: Neither jDip nor RealPolitik seem to have the Imperial variant, so ... I think I might be in for a lot of by-hand adjudications. Oh well. It'll be worth it.

Juarez Wins Election!

Benito Juarez, who succeeded to the presidency three years ago as the former Chief Justice, has just been democratically elected to the office for another four year term. Juarez commands the admiration and affection of the people of Mexico as the most popular president in memory. He represents a break from the tradition of rule by military men, having a civilian background in law. Furthermore, he is the first elected leader of Mexico to be a full-blooded Mexican. With Juarez as president, the Mexican people look to the future with great hope for a stable country with diplomatic solutions to conflict.

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Greetings. Tsar Alexander II of the great and glorious Russian Empire greets you. Hopefully we can work together to accomplish much, whilst crushing our foes beneath our boots.
    Приветствия.царь Александр II из большой и славной Российской империи приветствует вас. Многообещающе мы можем работать совместно для выполнения много, пока задавливающ наши врагов под нашими ботинками.

(ooc note: i will be providing a translation of all my posts in cyrillic, just for fun)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Gentlemen:

On behalf of the honorable Mr. Jefferson Davis, newly-elected president of these great Confederate States of America, I send you greetings. As our new nation attempts to create our own permanent government, I sincerely hope that your great nations will recognize our sovereignty and our right to it. As our great leader recently asserted in his Inaugural Address,

"We have entered upon the career of independence, and it must be inflexibly pursued. Through many years of controversy with our late associates of the Northern States, we have vainly endeavored to secure tranquility and obtain respect for the rights to which we were entitled. As a necessity, not a choice, we have resorted to the remedy of separation, and henceforth our energies must be directed to the conduct of our own affairs, and the perpetuity of the Confederacy which we have formed. If a just perception of mutual interest shall permit us peaceably to pursue our separate political career, my most earnest desire will have been fulfilled. But if this be denied to us, and the integrity of our territory and jurisdiction be assailed, it will but remain for us with firm resolve to appeal to arms and invoke the blessing of Providence on a just cause."

I declare, should any of you fine gentlemen choose to do so, the new Confederate government is willing to listen to any offers of support, friendship, or even peaceful coexistence in our daring venture. I sincerely hope any others who are less inclined to support our just cause would take a moment to think of how you yourself would act in such a situation - defend your own right to exist, or fall beneath the boots of a tyrannical hegemony.

Long Live the Confederacy, Deo Vindice.

Undersecretary R. Thomas Goodman
    Department of State
    Confederate States of America
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

The United States of America welcomes any and all foreign powers to visit Washington, D.C., the most glorious national capitol in the world.

We would also like to remind everyone that slavery is bad and the Confederate States of America are a bunch of racists.

Thank you for your time,

President Winbraham Lincoln

edit: i'm posting from work, i'll put a real thing up when i get home. but pm me if you want to diplome.
    Last edited by viggo; 2008-09-16 at 07:33 PM.
    Marshal Josip Broz Tito avatar by Electric_Monkey

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

The Londoner Daily

Queen Victoria "Barking" Mad

In a shocking move today, the Prime Minister appointed Mr. Yippy, Queen Victoria's prized terrier Minister of Defense and Minister of foreign affairs at the Queen's most ardent urging. The dog's orders will be interpreted by the best the Empire has to offer, and any foreign dignitaries who wish an audience with Mr. Yippy are welcomed.

OOC: I prefer AIM conversations over PMs, but I'll do either. My AIM is available in my profile.
    Last edited by Maldiem; 2008-09-16 at 08:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

The Montgomery Daily Herald

C.S.A. OFFICIAL RESPONDS TO U.S. INSULTS!

An Open Letter to the "Honorable" President of the US:

President Lincoln, sir, you dishonor the CSA with your slanderous speech. I declare, I do believe you seek to smear our good name solely in order to better benefit yourself - such a shameful act! Should we ever have the distinct privilege to meet each other face to face, I would shame myself if I did not protect the honor of my fair nation in the manner of the late US Senator Preston Brooks.

I would prefer, though, on this international stage, that we end discussion of issues such as those you attempt to bring up. Rather, you should note that our chief purpose in secession was to gain self-governance and break free from your federal control despite claiming that you support states' rights.

I trust that your aggressive stance against the sovereignty of the Confederate States of the America will end. I should hope that you will not dare to attack a free nation and attempt to usurp its peoples' liberty.

Undersecretary R. Thomas Goodman
    Department of State
    Confederate States of America

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I'd be happy to do all sorts of debates IC for the sake of funrole-playing, but I don't really want to run afoul of the board No Religion/Politics Discussion rule, especially with the powder-keg topics that could come up considering the setting.

Also, my e-mail address is [email protected]. I'm available via PM or e-mail, and occasionally via AIM, but not often.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-09-16 at 09:59 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

11. - Top - End - #11

The Tokyo Examiner

Zahaloso Looks to Future

Prime Minister Bito Zahaloso* of Japan looked to the future with potential as he was voted into Minister-ship yesterday. ...

"I see a bright, prosperous future," said Zahaloso to his fellow people. "We will expand past the boundaries that our ancestors put up and show the world what Japan really can do!" Jubilant cheers erupted amongst the crowd as Zahalaso stared proudly into the audience. "The natural order of humanity is to be on the top," he asserted. "That, we will do. Because we have been revealed, now there is no choice but to be on the top!" ...

Redamota Appointed Minister of Defense

In a surprise move yesterday, Prime Minister Zahaloso appointed Valige Redamota as Japan's Minister of Defense.
    "I have trusted Valige all my life," says the old Prime Minister, feeding his koi fish while being interviewed. "He is a very smart man that can show restraint." ...

*An obvious play on my own pseudonym.

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

The Weekly Conspirator

Sushi Conspiracy!
    Zahaloso Prepares to Retaliate upon America?

...that sushi is a delectable delicacy. "The Americans do not know what they are missing out on!" cries out Zahaloso in disbelief. "Their taste range for food is not wide enough. I must show them the powers of raw fish by offering it at very low prices; if that does not work, then I will have no choice but to force-feed them as spoils of war." The conspiratorial remark was followed by a statement that stated it was meant as a joke, but doubt still lingers among the Japan-ians as to whether not Zahalaso was serious about the sushi.

Redamota Trustworthy?
    Dark Past of New Minister of Defense Shrouded in Mystery

This week, Prime Minister Zahaloso appointed Valige Redamota as Japan's new Minister of Defense. ...

Though Zahaloso continually states that Redamota is a trustworthy man, many of his country think otherwise— not much is known about Redamota's past, and much of the known is not known for its modesty. Redamota has committed several murders on occasion, and is notorious for his criminal record of robbery; though he claims that it was just "practice of my tactical skills... for when tactical skills become a must." Will Redamota misuse his power to attack America for "practice" and perhaps even in league with Zahaloso and his Sushi Conspiracy? These loose ends will be tied up... on the next issue of the Weekly Conspirator!

The Embassy

I'll carry out all diplomatic actions here. Right now, Japan is offering a peace treaty with China and Russia. I'd write fluff for this, but I'm afraid I'm out of time, so good night to all, and may all your Awesome Press be amazing. I'm also typing this *after* typing the Ooc section. :confusion:

Ooc:

Oh noes, I haz two newspapers to run. Expect awesomer press as I improve at Awesome Press and a huge conspiracy that will change the very actions of Japan. Will Zahalaso purge the Americans of their lack of sushi? Is Redamota really part of a conspiracy? Find out... next winter!

Also, my email is [email protected].
    ·Bitzeralisis·

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Four Score and Two Years Ago, our Founding Fathers gathered to Draft a Constitution for these United States of America. They imagined a System in which the constituent States would cede some of their Rights to a collective Good.

One of these inherent Rights of a Nation is that of Security and territorial Integrity. You are free to exit the sovereign borders of the United States of America, but you are not allowed to take the Territory of such a sovereign Nation with you. This is why we fight for the Integrity and Security of our Nation.

All Communication directed toward the Office of the President of the United States of America, stretching from Maine to Florida, Virginia to California, can be received through Private Message or aol instant Message communication, both of which are Publicly posted in my Public profile.

Sincerely,

President Winbraham Lincoln, United States of America

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Greetings. I am Haschen von Vorp*, Prime Minister of the great Kingdom of Prussia.

We would like to remind all countries of the world that we are available for all negotiations.

*Haschen is German for bunny. Random fact. Also, may I suggest placing the map in this thread? Having to cross-reference the other one is a hassle.
    Last edited by thevorpalbunny; 2008-09-17 at 08:48 AM.
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

14. - Top - End - #14

BlueKnightGuy

Juarez Issues Warning!

In a statement earlier today, el Presidente rejected the imperialist rantings of President Lincoln.

"The United States has no justification for violating the territorial integrity of the Confederate States of America. The people of these states made a choice to embrace self-governance and reject what amounted to foreign rule by the Northern states of the Union. If the United States seeks to dictate the government of the Confederate States for its 'national security,' then where will this stop? Must British Canada be brought into the fold as well? And what of our people here in Mexico? Will we too fall victim to Winbraham's doctrine of paranoia? This must not be permitted. Mexico will keep a most watchful eye on its neighbors to the North, and will suffer no violations of its own sovereignty."

-Albert Einstein

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Vienna News

Emperor Opens New Theme Park in Vienna

Emperor Joseph Franz today opened the Later Park, on the outskirts of Vienna.

Of particular note is the Ferris Wheel, which can carry 200 passengers at a time and the Log Flume, which can drench 5 people at a time.

At a port in Dalmatia, a new Austrian frigate was unveiled. It can drench 5,000 people at a time via its cannons.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Peace in Our Time

The quickest way to end the War between the States is the absolute destruction of the Rebels.

Our army unit stationed in Washington, D.C. will be making its way to secure the territories of Tennessee and Kentucky. From there, we will make a series of devastating strikes in to the heart of the Confederacy.

17. - Top - End - #17

BlueKnightGuy

OoC: Aaaaand, we need a replacement for France. We might also need one for Turkey, if TheLevite doesn't post here or reply to my PM relatively soon.

Anybody know someone who might be interested?

-Albert Einstein

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

ooc: i have someone who might be interested, although it would require him making a account on the forums. ill wait and see until he replies to my email.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

i have one replacement on lock. he'll have to make an account, but i'll take care of that tonight

20. - Top - End - #20

BlueKnightGuy

GrandDukeJerot should be coming in. We might still need that second sub, though, so if you want your friends to get on the waiting list, that's excellent.

-Albert Einstein

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Franc

Antoine Jerot was elected to the office of President of our third republic today. His platform consisted of strong support for colonial expansion as to support the booming French economy, as well as taking a tougher stance on trade. Disreputable practices abroad, such as the Panama scandals apparently have given Jerot a callous look towards foreign affairs.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social ecksperiment.

Spoiler
    Show
    KidKris's Tungsten Man

Djinn_in_Tonic's Tungsten Man

Credit to Djinn_In_Tonic for Peregrine
    Credit to Ninja_Chocobo for 10th doctor

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

The Montgomery Daily Herald

U.S.A. DECLARES OPEN WAR ON THE GLORIOUS SOUTH!

(Richmond) - The President of the Confederacy has called all able-bodied men to serve their great nation and fulfill their duties to God and country by enlisting in the Army of the Confederacy or their own local state militias. The USA has declared that "The quickest way to end the War between the States is the absolute destruction of the Rebels," and this cannot stand.

As of the filing of this report, the "Old Hickory" Division based in New Orleans and Atlanta's 1st Georgia Division have both been mobilized, while the new Army of Northern Virginia, led by General P.G.T. Beauregard, and the far-flung Army of Texas are both currently recruiting.

Other nations are asked to rebuke the US on such an aggressive stance and to cut off peaceable ties with that nation of tyrants. Such talk is out of place in a time like today, and the government of the Confederacy will not allow it.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

23. - Top - End - #23

The State Courier

New dutch government

In a surprising act, king william the second has abdicated his throne. Liberals in the parliament rejoice as the Netherlands reverts to a republic. The new formal head of state shall alternate yearly and be known as the chairman of the cloaked cabinet. A cabinet that will be formed out of leading statesmen, merchants and professors and which shall ensure a steady course for the dutch foreign policy and act as a safeguard upon it's constitution.

The current chairman of the cloaked cabinet has stated that all foreign policy offers and treaties signed under the reign of William II will ofcourse be honoured. His statement revolved around the words, "Pacta sunt servanda", which will be the motto for dutch foreign policy under the cloacked cabinet.

Sources within the government has atmitted that the principal aim of dutch foreign policy will be the continued peace on the continent and safeguard of the civilised way of life and trade in the orient.

On the american civil war

The cloaked cabinet has stated that the american civil war is an internal matter between the two sides, but hopes that an agreement can be reached that will prevent further bloodshed.
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-09-21 at 05:32 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Vienna News

Emperor Calls For Talks In America

The Emperor today called for a swift peace in the war between the USA and CSA.

"It is regrettable that two peoples with freedom in mind are fighting each other. I am personally sending an envoy to both capitals", the Emperor said.

It remains to be seen whether the chances of peace have gone with the wind.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueKnightGuy

OoC: So it looks like everyone is here and active, excepting Turkey (TheLevite). Let's say that the first set of orders will be due by 2400 Hours Thursday EST. If you need clarification on what that works out to in your local time zone, ask. If you're still confused, just always get your orders in early.

Sound good to everyone, or do we need more time for initial diplomacy?

-Albert Einstein

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

that would be 2200 mst right?
    Currently playing: Xanitac http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=79922
    Russia in Imperial Diplomacy
    Thanks to Simius for the amazing avatar
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can taste key-lime pie- Lord Manpower the Temporary

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sounds fine to me.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

28. - Top - End - #28

BlueKnightGuy

Yes, MST is two hours behind EST. So, 2200. Also, for all you non-US residents out there, we here in the US of A are currently in Daylight Savings time. So EST right now is really GMT-4, not GMT-5. I think. Probably best to check some sort of world clock to be sure.

-Albert Einstein

29. - Top - End - #29

BlueKnightGuy

When communicating orders to me, please follow the following conventions, as it will make my life much easier, and it will make your orders get resolved the way you wanted them.

To move an Army in Quito to Lima, write: A QTO-LIM.

To have a Fleet in the North Atlantic convoy an Army in the Azores to Nova Scotia, write: F NAT C A AZO-NSC. When performing convoys, the Army being convoyed also needs to be given an order. The previous example would not actually convoy anything without the accompanying order A AZO-NSC.

For support orders, use an S: F NAN S F ROU. If you don't designate a move order, as I didn't do in this example, the support will be given for the unit to hold. Support for move orders must be given explicitly. F NAN S F ROU-NTH. This order would have Nantes support the Rouen Fleet into the North Sea. The first example wouldn't, even if F ROU were ordered to the North Sea.

Any unit not given an order will be assigned a hold order. If you want to assign your own hold orders, write them like this, using an H: A DUB H.

-Albert Einstein

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Sorry, busier than I thought and caught in a midterm blitz.