New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Unknown World - Adventuring!

OOC: For reference purposes, the worldbuilding thread is here and the OOC thread is here.

I'm going to assume certain elements of backstory - basically, that you're up for the quest for whatever reason and have already set off and arrived - in order to get you as close to the action as possible before we kick off. The railroad tracks end here, though.

You are the only hope for the resistance. Truth be told, even calling it 'the resistance' is overstating the case - a bunch of terrified villagers and refugees, cowering in the last free village of Cerrynt while the soldiers of Baron Vexous, desperate to stop the doom coming their way without the first idea why it was unleashed on them in the first place.

But you are their hope. A band of misfits, united by the fact that you are a cut above the villagers who place such faith in you. Whether it is your magic or your skill at arms that sets you apart, the task of infiltrating the baron's clifftop castle and slaying him before his armies reach the last free village falls to you. And he is nobility; if his valuables were to go missing in the course of your quest no one would think the worse of you....

Although Cerrynt is only a small land, you had to take a lengthy detour to avoid the body of Vexous' troops as you travelled. It's not a large army by any standards, maybe 200 fighting men plus their baggage train, but it's more than sufficient to abduct a host of unarmed peasants to an unknown fate. You find yourself in the small town of Centrepoint - the closest thing Cerrynt has to a capital - with maybe seven days before the marching soldiers reach the village you set out from.

The sky is grey and overcast as you approach Centrepoint. A chill breeze rustles the wild grasses in the fields alongside the road into town - fields that remain fallow and untended despite the imminence of planting season. Although you can hear birdsong and insects from the hedgerows, no larger animals can be seen - no cattle, no goats, no sheep, nothing.

The weather is threatening rain as you enter Centrepoint proper. The town is deserted. Not a soul anywhere to be seen; no one living, dead, or otherwise. No dogs bark. No cats prowl the streets. The silence is broken only by the sound of your footsteps and a shutter banging in the wind somewhere nearby. Beyond the town, Castle Cerrynt - all dull grey stone piled up in a collision of baroque architecture - looms atop Bastion Tor; a steep, rocky crescent of a hill, rumoured to be riddled with secret tunnels. A single road winds erratically from town to castle.

As you take in the scene, Darion's sharp eyes pick out movement up at Castle Cerrynt and he is quick to point it out to the rest of you. A shape, tiny at this distance, crawls across part of one stone wall before vanishing from sight in a tangle of buttresses. Although detail is impossible to make out at this distance, something in the crawling creature's outline and gait reminds you of the insectile.

The wind picks up, bringing with it the first splatters of rain. What do you do?
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Unknown World - Adventuring!

Darion ponders the nature of the creature he saw and searches through his memory in an attempt to identify it from the scant details. And fishes out the cowl conveniently hidden in the lining of his coat (Corenthian apparel was clever like that, reversible, adjustable, adaptable and usually with a number of hidden pockets). No sense in getting his head wet.

If he does guess the identity of the thing he saw on the wall, he prudently chooses not to reveal that information to his companions. Not yet, anyway. ((Nature check, +7. (1d20+7)[23] ))

Wryly, but to no one in particular, "My kind of town..."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Thieran looks up.
    "Well, this is a good start. What's Valerian got against us now, anyway? It's not as if we're going to be killing villagers and ruining their towns like Vexi, anyway! I mean, do you have any idea how cold I get when my hair's wet? What do you think, Sylis? Too wet at the moment?

Thieran starts to stride past Darion, long legs carrying him past the ranger quickly. He turns and gives Sylis a maniac grin as he finishes his rambling.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Lukas Kalt

Never at his best around people, the elven mercenary had not exactly enjoyed the trip so far. Most of his companions were a little exotic for his conservative taste, but they were his associates on this assignment, and he knew he had to work with them. As they entered Centrepoint, Lukas lowered the hood of his cloak. A little rain and discomfort would be better then losing his peripheral vision, if they came upon action here in the village.

Seeing that the village was abandoned and that Darion seemed to be on edge, Lukas reached up and removed the scabbard from the blade of his glaive. "I don't like the way this feels...it is too empty." he says, looking around at the deserted town.
    Last edited by Britter; 2008-09-29 at 09:30 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The rain falls on the brim of Larus' hat, dripping off the side of it, but keeping his face dry. He seems irked by the hat getting wet, but he has no place to stow it. He looked to the ground, eyes set firmly on the road. I wonder. He says, to no one in particular. I wonder if this rain will damage my hat. It shouldn't, it was made by a goddess after all. But what if she forgot? He thinks, then shakes his head, tossing droplets of water everywhere. No, no. She made it special, she wanted me to have it, there's no way it would be damaged by mere water.

He looked up from the road, apparently just now aware of his companions. He takes a quick look at each of them. Should we go to the castle?
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Thieran winks at Larus.
    "Isn't that the reason we're in this grey, gloomy, ghastly, golgothan city? We'd better pop up to the castle, see what Vex is plotting, ask him politely to stop destroying villages and then... see what happens!"
    He looks down the street over his shoulder and begins to stride backwards. Then he grins at Darion.
    "C'mon, warrior of the sour face. You're the only quiet one in this here... gang? band? Fellowship? We'd better scout out together, to make sure no-one's lurking in the shadows, like in that alley over there. Or that dark alley. Or maybe that alcove in the side of that building's wall. C'mon! For the fellowship!"
    Thieran turns, and begins to stride up the street, his black longcoat fluttering in the weak breeze.

He puts his left hand on his rapier though, just in case...
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-09-30 at 05:18 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Darion glowers under his cowl at his chatty companions. Every last idle word grated on him, his ears were sharp and his presence of mind sharper still. Nothing said went unnoticed and it seemed impossible to block out even the quietest and inane ramblings.

He spares a moment to crack his knuckles through his reinforced leather gauntlets. "Fine. The rest of you have a look around for supplies...potions in particular. The bard and I will have a look ahead."

He draws up his black scarf around his nose and mouth so not even his breath could be seen in the chilly air...then vanishes into the murky urban sprawl without another word, or waiting for confirmation from the others. Best keep an eye on the bard anyway.

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

Lukas

A fairly sizeable part of Lukas' brain was asking him what he was doing going into battle with this particular group of individuals. They better be as fierce and deadly in combat as they are unusual and strange in life he thought to hinself.

Despite his misgivings, he had been trained in methods of securing a town, and checking around for people or useful items sounded like a good place to start. "Let us take a look around", he said while gesturing at the surrounding buildings "while those two scout ahead."

Spoiler
    Show
    Lukas will check any large, important looking buildings, such as an Inn or a shop. He won't wander off to far from the rest of the group, no more then maybe 30-40 feet, because he is really not sure if the rest of the group are able to handle themselves.
    Last edited by Britter; 2008-09-29 at 11:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Distracted with his notes, Sylis looks over the group.

Yes, yes, I guess we best get going. There is little I can say of our situation with such an ill view of the sky. So, remind me once more, where are we going, and what are we expected to do? I am still a tad concerned, as I am just a scholar.

At the looks the group might give, Sylis blushes and goes back to his books whispering "This makes no sense, the stories of Moradin predate those of Hlial, yet this book states them as co-existing.......are any of these books worth the paper they are written on?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

You have seen him fling eldritch fire and the such. And yes, my character is quite oblivious, not believing himself to be anything more than a scholar sent with you for someunknown reason. He has kept a log of our travels, and he acts like that is all he is good for. I guess it is good it took me a day to find this thread ;-)
    Fox
    25 years of tabletops and cheetos
    Avid Roleplayer/Loquacious Dungeonmaster

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Thieran strides along, singing to himself softly.
    "Achos bwys, a ystwytha a chryfder."
    He watches the buildings, watching for a town hall, a cartographer's building, a bookshop, anything that would give them a clue to what they'd face.
    "At'r choedwigoedd chan Januli,"
    He hears Darion coming up behind him, and keeps on going. The ranger's company wasn't that enjoyable, and it was time to be quiet. And aware, if it was possible.
    "at chynaeafa blancau chan feithder..."
    Well, it'd be good for Darion to be quiet. At least he was a deft hand with his two-bladed sword, the signature weapon of Corenthia, they were actually very good at a unique fighting style that...
    No! Concentrate, for once!
    "at chynaeafa blancau, chan feithder!"
    Thieran stops, about a yard away from Darion. He strains his ears, looking around. If anything was going to attack a clueless fool singing in the deserted streets, it'd happen now.

(d20-1)[15] OOC: Thieran's perception check.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-09-30 at 05:19 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

I know I do not speak that tongue as I doubt seriously it is celestial, damn only 2 languages, which reminds me, my character wants Primordial, what do I do to "buy" that with a 15 INT?

I am going to try to discover what language he is speaking
    (d20)[10]
    Arcana: +7
    History: +7
    Religion +2
    Fox

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, for a Trading-speaker like you, I'd say DC 15 for vauge, 20 for detail. For everyone else that can speak elven, I'd say DC 15 detailed, DC 10 vague. As far as Sylis can tell, it sounds slightly Elven. Y'know what? DC 20 all. This is supposed to really be an obscure language, and to the elven speakers it'd be like listening to someone recite the original Beowulf.

Hold on a sec, can you actually hear me? I'm scouting ahead and I think Sylis is falling behind. We may have had a slight OOC accident.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-09-30 at 05:23 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Thieran, what is that song you were singing? I have studied a few of the folk songs of the Elves and Eladrin, but never in the native tongues. It sounds quite...festive..." as Sylis attempts an awkward smile.
    Fox

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Thieran waits for a minute, waiting for any sign of danger still, then swivels around and gives Sylis a smirk.
    "Festive? No. It is part of a song about the Asuran vessel Cyrilian, one of the most graceful ships to ever sail the Sea of Rhun; specifically the verses tell of its construction, with planks of white wood from the forest of Januli. I may tell you its tragic tale later."
    And with a whistful, sad smile he turns, beckons for Sylis to come to him and strides off down the street with Darion.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-09-30 at 05:24 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking into a general store window as you pass, you notice something odd. Whereas the rest of Centrepoint looks... abandoned, the shop interior looks looted, as if someone has ransacked it. Between the mess and the dim light, it's impossible to tell what, if anything, has been taken.

As Thieran and Darion advance down the street - one loud, one quiet - the eerie silence is shattered by a thud and a crash from inside a nearby two-storey dwelling, followed by a muffled sound - speech? - and a series of further bangs and thumps receding into the building.

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Thieran leaps forward and runs to the nearest door, where he comes to a sudden halt and opens the door as carefully as he can.
    (d20+8)[9] OOC: Thievery/Stealth, both have same mods.
    Unfortunately, its hinges are rusty and it opens with a loud creak.

Then he goes inside, silent as a ghost, noiselessly pulling out his rapier.
    (d20+8)[25]

He looks around quickly at the room he's in with what little light he has from outside.
    (d20-1)[17]
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-09-30 at 10:59 AM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

"Fool" is all he can get out before Thieran dashes off towards uncertainty, though it's a whisper and muffled against his scarf. If it's a residence, surely it will have a back door to the alleyway. Darion dashes around the building to cut off the escape route of whatever was startled.

He strains to hear what's going on inside. Then lies in wait to ambush whatever might emerge. If it's humanoid, he simply restrains it. And obviously if it's something vile or monstrous, he rips out his sword and goes to cut it down.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sylis watches on in wonder. "Do all adventurers act so sporadically? For as much as we know it could be a ferocious beast or something, yet he dives in like it was a bag of gold!"
    Last edited by ixious; 2008-09-30 at 01:22 PM.
    Fox

19. - Top - End - #19

BlackDragon

Lukas

Peering into the nearby store, Lukas noted that things looked out of place and missing, as if someone had already looted the shop. He had some small understanding of how to set up a shop, from his time working for his father, but before Lukas could enter to take a closer look, he heard a disturbance from over near where Darion and Therian had been searching.

Lukas quickly jogged over towards his companions. He paused for a moment to consider whether it would be better to head in to the house himself, or to stay with the rest of the group.

He quickly decided that it would be better to head in. Therian was alone in the house, and if he were to be outnumbered it could go poorly for the bard. On the other hand, his other companions, though odd, were not without defenses.

Decision made, he shortened his grip on the glaive so that he could more easily wield it in the confined space of the building, and followed Therian into the building.
    Last edited by Britter; 2008-09-30 at 01:54 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Larus folds his arms across his back and strolls along, his longsword bouncing loosely from his side. His gaze seems focused on something only he can see, and he nods to himself. He absently reaches a hand up and steadies the hat on his head, before turning back to the group. I think we should go in. A missed chance makes for a weakened stance. He says, as if quoting scripture, before jogging to catch up to Lukas and Thieran. He puts a hand on the hilt of his blade to steady it, and then decides to leave it there in case he needs to use it at a moment's notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sighing deeply, "I suppose so, but throwing caution to the wind" signaling to Thieran "is far from prudent"

Sylis walks toward the group, carefully looking around as he goes

Must everything be about battle and valor with these people?
    Fox

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas and Therian plunge in through the unlocked doorway. The room beyond is some sort of living room and shows clear signs of recent use - unwashed plates and mugs piled on the low table, sacks and boxes shoved into one corner in an untidy pile. A wooden staircase leads up to the next floor and a door, still swinging from some recent impact, leads through to the kitchen and presumably an alley beyond - the 'bang' of the back door as it slams open is clearly audible.

Darion's bounty hunting instincts have served him well, however, and he is well positioned to intercept the fleeing man - for it is a man, dressed in old clothes and ill-fitting light armour, and with a dirt-streaked and panicked face - as he sprints away from the scene.

Darion's Strength check = (d20+3)[4]
    The man's Strength check = (d20+2)[13]

Ouch. =/

Darion manages to get his hands on the man for just a moment, long enough to smell that he hasn't bathed in some time, and then the fleeing man's momentum lets him tear free from the bounty hunter's grasp. Sprinting across the street he disappears down another alleyway at speed, leaving only a ragged triangle of cloth in Darion's hands - marked with the insignia of Baron Vexous.

OOC: A rough map will be coming soon in case you want to pursue/shoot/etc.

Actually, forget that (at least until I get home). Shooting's not really an option anyway; if you want to chase him, let's make it a Level 1 Skill Challenge. I'll set a basic DC when I get home.
    Last edited by potatocubed; 2008-10-01 at 09:14 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Thieran stands for a moment in shock, then his face twists into a grimace.
    "Adawedig farw ddor! That thing's hinges be forever damned in Annwfn's fires!"
    Thieran quickly strides across the room to the back door and pokes his head out, looking at Darion.
    "My apologies, most unrivaled hunter. It's quite unusual for southern architecture to have more than one door - much easier to bar when the goblins are roaming. We should have had him cornered like a wererat."
    He looks across the street, thinking.
    "Ah, if I'm not mistaken this road is the main street of Centrepoint - the distinctive red markings along the windows of the houses are a clue. Of course he'd have a backdoor onto this street - all the prosperous buisnesses and shops are along the main street. Shall we take a quick shortcut to Castle Perilous this way?"
    As he says this last, he turns and grins at Lukas, Larus and Sylis, directing the question towards them. Then he frowns momentarily.
    "Oh, and where has Aramous got to?"

OOC: History Check. (d20+10)[26]
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A bit flustered, "Well then, if this road leads us to the castle, then let's make haste. I still have no idea why you had to run that man out of his house, but as long as we get there, i guess ti best I do not complain" The last part is half mumbled as Sylis puts up his books, pen, and telescope.
    Fox

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Darion leaves behind the tattered bit of clothing bearing the insignia of the barony to float to the ground.

"He's a soldier of Vexous!" he shouts behind him as he regains his footing and gives chase. "He won't get far..."

Experience told the bounty hunter that beating some answers out of this man would make their task ahead all the easier. He hurtles after the soldier, vaulting over crates, bins and other obstructions of alley ways...and pausing just an instant to pick out the man's tracks on the wet and dirty streets if he loses sight of his quarry.

((Athletics Check, +8 (1d20+8)[9]))

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Thieran scratches his chin, lost in thought for a moment.
    "It could work... yes, if its street plan is true to the original Kathorian make..."
    Thieran looks up and flashes his signiature maniac grin.
    "Come on, follow me. We're going to meet up with Darion and his prey up at the castle path's entrance. Lukas, Larus, Sylis; we might meet opposition along the way so weapons out. Wherever Amarous has got to, he can take care of himself. Hurry!
    And with that, he swivels around and dashes down the wide street, longcoat fluttering behind him.

OOC: Streetwise check. (d20+7)[14]
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sylis puts fingers over his eyes and temples "Whatever it is you want...as long as we are heading toward the castle..."
    Fox

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Skill challenge DC = 10.
    Successes = 1/4
    Failures = 1/3

Darion trips and stumbles as the fleeing man overturns discarded crates and refuse piles in his path. The gap between them widens.

Meanwhile, Therian's intuitive grasp of town planning in the Kathorian style leads the others on a direct route towards the castle path, where the fleeing man seems to be heading.

29. - Top - End - #29

BlackDragon

Lukas

Therian's directions and explanation of the town made it evident that the man was fleeing towards the castle. Lukas moved to follow the flamboyant bard. Knowing that it was imperative that they catch the fleeing soldier before he reached the castle, Lukas did everything he could to push the pace. "We must hurry. Stop for nothing, or we may not catch our quarry."

Spoiler
    Show

Endurance check to maintain a brisk pace: (1d20+7)[23]

Last edited by Britter; 2008-10-01 at 03:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC: Oh shoot, can't believe I forgot this...

Thieran lopes along, shouting encouragement to his friends. Whenever someone tries to help, Thieran is right there yelling out advice (and occasionally discouragement).

Spoiler
    Show
    I just used Bardic Music: Inspire Competence. Basically, everybody gets +2 on their skill checks now. Thieran's a helpful kinda guy.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show