New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Continent of Suleth

You stand on the deck of Twisted Tailor as you have done every day for the last four weeks. You've had to go through horrible storms but you've survived. Life on the ship has not been very comfourtable but still - even with the horrible food and all the boredom - it has nearly began feeling like home. And not least due to the ship's captain, Trygon. Having left the life of a pirate behind he has been a skillfull captain and a wonderful storyteller. Now the large man stands at the deck and looks down to the docks as the city's officials and city watch are coming to inspect and tax the wares.

The four of you look at each other. Two elves, a half-elf and a raptoran. You are carrying a small package - perhaps a feet high and wide but ony five inches deep - which is quite heavy for it's size, perhaps a book. It's wrapped in dark cloth and a small note 'To the Innkeeper of the Red Goat' is attached to it. The old man who sent it promised that you would receive 300 gold each when delivering it but not knowing the city, you have no idea where the Red Goat might be.

It's a warm summer evening. The exotic smells from nearby merchant ships mix to the more familiar smell of fish just like the shouts of sailors mix with the screams of sea gulls. The wind is calm and you are ready to walk to the docks and further into the city. The only buildings you can see from the ship are taverns and warehouses. Somewhere far in the distance is a large hill rising high in the middle of the city. While the buildings there seem large, you barely recognize them. The city seems huge.
    Maggots in the Meat: IC thread, OOC thread, dierolls

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Continent of Suleth

Ran Kang: Half Elf

Edit(missed this part, sorry):Ran Kang certainly was one of the brighter characters on this particular ship, laughing and moving about even in rough storms, almost as if the whole thing had been a huge joke. Almost nothing seems to have been able to destroy the positive attitude he holds, though any direct questions about himself always seemed to meet with a simple smile, and a quick but polite change of topic. As they neared the coast his almost ecstatic attitude grew to new pitchs the more sights presented themselves, usually in an explosion of quick chatter in a slurred elven dialect. Other then the general excited wanders, he was often seen below decks practicing dancing moves, his pair of large paper fans always present.

Almost over huh? Gonna miss the boat though, was fun while it lasted. Guess we’ll meet up at the inn huh?

Certainly has been a good ride ya…on to bigger and better things I guess.

Yawns lightly, stretching and stamping on the deck of the ship
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2008-09-30 at 02:52 PM.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Phineas T. Uptyr, Raptoran

"Finally, dear sweet land."

Phineas looks ready to jump for the dock as the ship draws near, quite visibly agitated - as well he should be, considering his seasickness for the majority of the voyage. He thinks better of it, though, and tries to quiet himself until he can finally step off the wretched thing.

He tries to distract himself, and audibly gasps when he takes in the scale of the city. He rushes to the railing, quickly regretting it as he sees the motion of the ship. A green tinge fills his face.

"That was a mistake." He gags twice, but manages to hold his meal down, this time. "Say, we're going to be here for a while, right? I really don't want to have to do all that again..."

That is a reference to the many days spent locked in his cabin, praying to Tuilviel Glithien alternately for swift passage or swift death. The entire time he was above decks, as right now, he carried in a death grip an auran mask and refused to get within ten feet of the edge of the boat. He seems even more gaunt than normal, an obvious result of losing half his meals. He has been an utter misery for the duration of the voyage, angrily grumbling about everything, especially the air ("Just doesn't smell right, it's like a fish has decided to rot in my nose and shed it's scales all over my face..."). The closer the boat gets to shore, though, the happier he seems, only sparing the crew a few angry glares to keep up appearances.
    Last edited by Dethcom1; 2008-09-30 at 03:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

"Come now! You won't be sitting in your inn room the whole time your here will you? What fun is that? You sir, missed the most amazing times down there I tell you, like when the boat went like this"

Ran then opens a fan, tilting it almost over on its side, more then likely in reference to the boat

"You should have seen it!"

Gives the Raptoran a hearty slap on the back, continuing to laugh
    My Current Works

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Maril Starcharmer; Grey Elf

The journey had been a boring one for Maril, being stuck on a boat for 4 weeks was not something he considered fun, and 300 gold was little of an incentive. Nevertheless he attempted to amuse himself on the journey running games for the sailors to pass the time. He had several challenges for them, finding a lock that he could not open, hiding objects so he could not find them, and his personal favorite catching him with a trap. Not once was Maril caught and it earnt him quite the collection of copper pieces, which he cleverly hid in each of the men's rooms while they worked.
    These games were only to pass time in between his larger project though, Maril had spent most of the four weeks with the captain, much to his annoyance, attempting to trick Trygon into thinking that one of the female shipmates (probably the only) was stealing his waistcoats. This was probably not so effective though and now Marvil attempts his last effort

"Look I'm telling you," he hisses at the captain "every night after eating she hurries back to her room with something under her dress, I'm sure it's a waistcoat."

Spoiler
    Show
    'Outlandish' bluff - (1d20+5)[23]
    Always nice to start off with a roll.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

While the seasick raptorian gathers some amused looks from the dockworkers the sailors of Twisted Tailor have more than gotten used to that sight already and seem to not pay much attention to that.

Meanwhile the discussion between captain Trygon and Maril goes on, some twenty feet from the two other characters.

While the large man still doesn't seem to trust Maril much, it does seem that he is getting slightly more successful. "I just don't see a reason for it. They wouldn't fit her at all.", he ponders absentmindedly. "Why would she do it?" he asks.

7. - Top - End - #7

Imp

Maril; Grey Elf

Finally, I might actually get him

Maril's face shows shock for second before he composes himself, disguising it as simple contemplation. "I've been wondering that myself, and um, I think she likes you." Maril suggests, thinking that he's probably pushing his luck.

The light cloud cover retreats briefly, lighting up Maril. His simple cloth jacket is thrown open by a slight breeze revealing a simple chain shirt, attached to the middle of it is a simple gem. Some know that this gem glows briefly whenever Maril is struck, Maril often tells them that it is an heirloom that gave his family their name, when one of his ancestors charmed a star from the sky. The party have noticed that the ancestors relation to Maril changes sometimes, lending credence to the suspicion that it is another of Maril's tricks.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

The captain looks at Maril and raises an eyebrow. "A shipmate lass who is too shy? Haven't seen many of those." He says, shrugs and turns back to look at the docks.

The deck is beginning to fill with sailors waiting for the first mate to get all the formalities done with the city's officials so that they can get to the docks. The captain himself doesn't seem like he would have any intention to leave the ship any time soon.

9. - Top - End - #9

Kell Stirga: Human

Kell stepped off the dock, sighing with relief. He wasn't sickened by the rolling waves like Phineas was, but, although he would never admit it to the others, he was genuinly afraid of water. Not all waters, ofcourse. Puddles and ponds were all right, but all that water surrounding you? If you fell in, you'd just keep on falling and falling. He'd kept his distance from the edges like Phineas, but tried not to make as much of a deal about it. Although, that wasn't the main reason he was wound tight as a bowstring. Those boats were so god darn flammable! He accidentally let out one teensy little spark, and his door almost burned down. Hopefully no one had noticed. The closed quarters and lack of clean air below deck didn't help, nor did the stale food. He stands at the edge of the dock, making sure to be out of the way, and takes in all the sights and sounds. Hearing Ran mock Phineas, he turns twards Ran and says;
    "Oh, let him be Ran," he says, rolling his eyes.
    "I'm sure he's not in a joking mood after that trip, and neither am I. Let's just find this... where were we supposed to deliver the package again?"
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-09-30 at 05:13 PM.
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

10. - Top - End - #10

Ran frowns

"It was hardly a joke ya...whats life without a little terror? Where's the balance if you never take a risk or two? Red Goat is the inn...I wonder what the sewer system is like...or if they have a sewer system...do you think they do?"
    My Current Works

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Saeroone, High Elf

Saeroone, like Ran Kang, found the boat ride pleasing enough. Unlike him, she didn't view it as an opportunity for frivolity and games, but a chance to relax and get some fresh air. Every morning, an early riser might look up and find her clinging to the top of the mast, eyes raised to greet the rising sun as she quietly intoned her prayers. During the day, she made herself useful any way she could, helping out with whatever task needed to be accomplished around the ship, and often carrying foul-tasting medicinal concoctions from the ships surgeon down to the stricken Phineas, to settle his stomach.

She didn't speak much with the crew during the voyage, but then, she seldom does. She talks more freely with her fellow party members, but even then, she's normally the quietest of the party. She has a soft, low voice, and thick, sandy coloured hair, which is currently fastened up into a bun with a cheap hair clasp, out of her way. Her eyes are a shade of hazel, and there are as soft and expressionless as the rest of her face. She's solidly built, with lithe muscles and long, powerful legs.

She stands on the gangplank, fishing around in her backpack, her face serene and expressionless, as usual. She checks that she still has the package wrapped up securely in her winter blanket, and then nods, satisfied that it's safe. She replaces it underneath several other items, fastens her backpack up securely, and then swings it onto her shoulders as she wanders down past Maril and the increasingly bemused captain.

She wanders over towards Phineas and Ran, stopping to talk to one of the sailors who doesn't look too busy.

"Daygreet, sailor. Please forgive my intrusion. I would ask, could you tell me of the most direct route to the Red Goat Inn? Or would you know anyone that could?"
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2008-09-30 at 05:37 PM. Reason: high elf, not wood elf

12. - Top - End - #12

"I just mean that w-he must have a perfectly good reason for not liking the water. Ah well." He's trown off a little by the second part of Ran's comment. "Is sewer system really the first thing that comes to your mind?"
    As of 9/30/09

13. - Top - End - #13

Ran blinks several times

"No...of course not....it was a general question. Do you want a list ya?"
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2008-09-30 at 05:40 PM.
    My Current Works

14. - Top - End - #14

Imp

Maril, Grey Elf

Maril trots over to Kell, Ran, and Phineas. "Well I guess I owe a sailor a pretty penny or two," he says, glancing around at the shipmates. "but I don't see him around, maybe we'll leave before then, don't wan't to waste anything I don't need to." This subtle reference is the first anyone has heard of Maril's spells for the journey, unless you count hearing people say things via ventriloquy. In fact spells are one of the things Maril tends to avoid using, or mentioning.

"But sewers, they're always interesting. Never enough call to check the sewers nowadays, used to be cultists in every nook of them."

15. - Top - End - #15

Ran nods

"That and the rich life that grows in most of it! Sure...its not the greatest smelling place but the nature within it....just amazing! Really! Do you still want that list Kell ya?"
    My Current Works

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

As the officials have gotten through the paperwork with the first mate, sailors begin moving down to the docks.

The captain looks at Saeroone and thinks a moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[17]

"The Red Goat? It's in the southeast Midtown. Just south from the temple district. So walk to the bottom of that large hill but instead of going up, turn right and follow the street. You might want to ask someone around there again but it shouldn't be that difficult to find it...", Trygon says and spits. "Too many wizards in one building if you ask me."
    Last edited by Pegasos989; 2008-10-01 at 12:51 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Saeroone bows her head slightly.

"Thank you for your kind assistance, captain."

She turns to go, and then abruptly turns back.

"Wizards? Ah, you mean the inn is a popular stop for wizards? Why would that be?"

18. - Top - End - #18

Kell is taken by surprise, and responds to Ran;
    "What? No. I thought you were being sarcastic."
    Thoroughly confused, he turns twards Saeroone and says, "Who knows? "Maybe magic is in abundance here."
    As of 9/30/09

19. - Top - End - #19

Ran laughs

"And I thought you were being serious!"

Ran then turns to the other "guest"

"Someone who knows how to have a little fun, or at least dosn't sit and throw up in a little rough water! Perhaps this is a magic city! How interesting ya? We might get to see some real magic."

"real magic other then the norm at the very least ya"
    My Current Works

20. - Top - End - #20

"Alright, well, let's just get this package delivered before anything else. I wonder what's in it, anyway?" Kell lifts the package to his ear and gives it a small shake, and checks to see if it has any magical properties.

listen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[21] and magical insight
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-10-01 at 07:00 PM.
    As of 9/30/09

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Saeroone stiffens as Kell retrieves the package from her pack, but lets him fish it out.

"Please, keep that out of sight." she murmurs, softly. "I would guess that it is most likely a spellbook of some value, and that there are many unscrupulous mages who would wish to take it from us."

22. - Top - End - #22

"YOu really think this is that important? Well, I suppose being catious couldn't do any harm."
    After inspecting the passage, Kell slips it discreatly back into Saeroone's pack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Slight of hand, if it's really neccessary to keep people from seeing it; (1d20)[19]
    As of 9/30/09

23. - Top - End - #23

"We're getting a sack of gold for it, if it's a spell book...its probably just for starters. Maybe its a cook book! Those things go for alot, and we are going to an inn with it. Why not open it and see?"
    My Current Works

24. - Top - End - #24

"I don't want to tamper with it, maybe it's very personal."
    As of 9/30/09

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

"Quite. And the recipient may know if it has been unwrapped." Saeroone whispers, as she waits for the captain to respond.

26. - Top - End - #26

Ran simply shrugs

"We could always just tell him we wanted to see what was inside it. Who would send us on a boat with a possibly dangerous book? But...mabye your right, we can always ask at the inn ya?"
    My Current Works

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

"The Red Goat is a favorite among mages of the Crimson Coil. Their unofficial base of operations, one could say... They don't really want that to be too public but I couldn't care less.",
    the captain says and laughs heartily before becoming more serious.

"Warmages in the cadres of Seventh Regiment are powerful enough and the wizards who belong to the Sages' guild are nothing to frown at either. But those of Crimson Coil are far too obsessed with knowledge that nobody should posess.",
    he continues and shakes his head.

[OOC: Results of Kell's listen check and magical insight will be PMed]

28. - Top - End - #28

Imp

Maril; Grey Elf

Maril stands and listens to the captain and the others, seemingly uninterested in the package but listening carefully to the captain's talk of mages.

29. - Top - End - #29

Kell Striga: Human

"I think you're right on, Saeroone. It's definitly magical, though I'm not sure if it's a book. In any case, lets head over to the Goat, then have a look around town." Kell steps back, ready to follow the rest of the group.
    As of 9/30/09

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Saeroone bows to the captain, and then turns, nodding.

"As you wish, Kell."

She falls into step just behind him.

"These warmages of the Crimson Coil sound dangerous. Perhaps should deliver the package with all haste, and then find a different inn to stay in before we attempt to sign on a ship bound for home."