New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Continent of Suleth

Ran Kang: Half Elf

Ran bounds into the front of the group, gawking at the city as they disembark

"What should we do first...after the job that is...we can't forget that..."
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

"I'm in no rush to go back, If I go back at all. I'd like to have a look around at least. Finding a nice place to stay would be good."

3. - Top - End - #33

"We're going to an inn, that should probably fit all that....maybe we can go look for places to eat! I wonder what they sell here. Or maybe, we can see some of their art! That would be amazing!"
    My Current Works

4. - Top - End - #34

Kell Stirga: Human

Kell's stomach rumbles at the mention of food, and he realizes it's been a while since they've all had a decent meal.
    "A place to eat sounds good. I've had about enough of stale bread and sour milk. I wonder what they serve here, though? I'm guessing it's unlike what we've had at home."
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Saeroone is surprised. For a second there, she even emotes, unconciously raising her eyebrows and looking over at her companions, but she quickly recovers, and says:

"I... had not considered the possibility of extending our stay here. Girondor may have it's flaws, but... it is home, and it is what I am familiar with. I was anticipating our quick return."

She looks about her at the buildings of Seahaven.

"Travel is said to be good for the mind. And perhaps this new land offers untold opportunities for us. Be that as it may, I shall stick with the group, for as long as you require my services." she says, carefully.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

You make your way towards the Red Goat following Captain Trygon's instructions. You take the largest and widest street that leads from the docks to the center hill of the city.

Some of the largest buildings that catch your attention are the Sailors' Guildhouse and a combat academy.

Three story high Sailors' Guildhouse is made of red bricks and has the same symbol you noticed many people (and buildings) from dockworkers to sailors bearing on the ship and docks. The combat academy is four stories high and built from large chunks of black stone. It's wall has the symbols of the Seventh Regiment (Four, Two and One), St. Cuthbert and some god most of you've propably not seen before.

After the combat academy, you find yourselves on a large market square with many stalls selling their wares. Mostly ordinary stuff such as foods (or food indegredients), tools, ropes, clothes...

Mostly the culture and the city seems very similar to that of the mainland Empire. What you notice to be quite different from the mainland however is the influence of guilds - few people beared symbols of guilds there but here it seems very common. In addition you determine a few of the people you've seen with their bodyguards to be minor nobles. Again that is something that didn't really happen in the mainland Empire where the Emperor's power was absolute and then there were just officials.
    Maggots in the Meat: IC thread, OOC thread, dierolls

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Saeroone glances up at the wall of the academy as she passes.

"St Cuthbert, He of the Iron Law, and... I do not recognise the other symbol, or which deity it might signify. Phineas, you are perhaps the most learned of us on matters ecclesiastical. Might you enlighten me?"

Saeroone mostly keeps her eyes trained lower, alert for the possibility of anyone who might try to capture their package, or any event on the streets that could impede their progress.

((OOC: And Dethcom is likely still AFK : / booo.))
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2008-10-03 at 02:08 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

[OOC: As Phineas might still be AFK, I'll just briefly play his answer to that based on a failed knowledge check]

Phineas, Raptoran

Phineas shakes his head at the question.

"No. I think I've seen that somewhere on Girondor but can't recall where... Propably some minor deity.",

he says.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Phineas, Raptoran

Now that he is off the boat, Phineas's color returns to normal and he fidgets with his armor, realizing that it is too small. He repeatedly stretches his wings as he walks, trying to uncramp them.

"Or perhaps a local god of combat." Phineas seems enthralled by the sights of the city, staring hard at every guild sigil and noble symbol, trying to memorize it all.

"This seems a place of good opportunity, and you could sooner gut me and fry me and eat me as a fish than have me set foot onto a boat again." Though a sewer doesn't exactly fire me with excitement. How long until I can properly stretch my wings again? Bah, good enough to be out of narrow corridors and that infernal rocking.

As the group passes through the temple district he keeps an eye out for a shrine to Tuilviel Glithien or any of the gods from back home.

10. - Top - End - #40

Aww but the boat was fun. You turned all sorts of colors. That was at the very least worth the trip ya?

Ran then goes silent as he begins to stare around, his mouth hanging half open the rest of the trip.
    My Current Works

11. - Top - End - #41

Kell stifles a quick laugh, then mutters under his breath, as if humored by the idea; "Pssh, Gods..."
    He notices Phineas try to streach out his wings and says, "I know how you feel Phineas. I've held in my fire so long, it feels like I'm about to explode."
    As of 9/30/09

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

From the Southmarket you continue your trip north.

You happen to walk past a squad of what seems to be elite soldiers. Their faces are scarred, their red uniforms fit them well and their equipment seems to be higher in both quality and quantity than the rank soldiers could dream of. On their shields you can see two symbols. First there are the numbers of four, two and one. Below that is painted a red rune.

You continue your way and as you reach the temple district you turn right as told by the captain. You need to ask one citizen for direction but some time over half an hour after you left the docks - you do realize that the walk would propably have been quicker if you had been more familiar with the area - you stand infront of the Red Goat.

The inn is two story high with masonry walls and a common wooden door. Above the door is a wooden sign with image of a goat painted in red. What differiates the building from the ones around it (in addition to being larger that is) might be that some of the windows on second floor are made of glass instead of just having the wooden window shutters like most.

13. - Top - End - #43

Ran has been in a slack jawed, glazed eye stupor the whole way. Its a wonder he hasnt run into anyone in the state, maybe it was just luck..

Upon seeing the inn he gives a small sigh, though the ever present smile remains

"This is nothing like I was hoping...this simply...they said mages hung out here! Where are the flames! The sparks! The cute little cuddely familiars! This just looks like a normal inn!"
    My Current Works

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Phineas, Raptoran

"... The complete and utter devastation for miles around. Be happy, Ran. The fact that this building hasn't burned down already means we're dealing with the more sensible, discrete type of magi - the ones who remember to pay. Shall we proceed?"

Phineas motions the others ahead of him, wanting to soak in as much sunlight and fresh air as possible before heading back indoors.

15. - Top - End - #45

Ran frowns

"Even that would be more interesting then this! Whats a life without a little destruction, it makes life and creation so much prettier!"

With that, Ran starts humming to himself, walking into the inn
    My Current Works

16. - Top - End - #46

Kell gazes up at the large building in interest, then notices Ran's response. "Careful what you say around here. This doesn't seem like the most peaceful part of town. I don't think arcane weavers of magic want to have their companions described as 'cuddly' and I'm sure there's more than one person here that would want 'show you some evocation'. Then in an undertone, he adds, "But I agree, I would love to see some illusion displays.
    Kell grabs the door as Ran enters, holds it open for Sareoone, and follows behind.
    As of 9/30/09

17. - Top - End - #47

Imp

Maril; Grey Elf

"Hang on, you wanted to see an illusion display but didn't ask me in the 4 weeks we had on the ship?" Maril says with a hint of jealousy in his voice, "Well I'd be offended if they were one of my specialties, oh wait..." Maril proceeds to give Kell an offended look and then looks away, distracting himself with some buckles on his backpack.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

You open the door to the Red Goat and step inside. At first glance it doesn't look very special. Large room filled with square wooden tables, stairway leading to the upper floor and a bar next to a door to kitchen. However it doesn't take long to realize that a few things are slightly off.

The first thing to notice might be the edges of the room. They aren't dark and you can see the walls clearly. However you can't tell what is right next to them, at the edges of the room. Perhaps some more tables, perhaps not, perhaps they have patrons sitting in them or then not... It is as if you couldn't focus your gaze there no matter how many times you try.

The second thing that you notice is the interesting decoration of the place. The walls have paintings - some painted directly to the wall - of what are likely historical events of the continent, landscapes and terrains unfamiliar to you and numerous runes, some of which are no doubt magical. The dimly lighted and calm atmosphere doesn't seem like that of a regular inn.

The last thing to notice are the patrons themselves. It is not so much what they are than what they aren't. The inn isn't full of drunkards, sailors, caravan guards and the like but rather people sitting alone, in pairs or small groups and conversing with each other quietly. Mostly human but you do notice some elves, dwarves and gnomes too. It is hard to say what a few cloaked figures are.

Before you have time to examine the surroundings too much you notice the bartender leaning over the bar and looking at you with a questioning look.

19. - Top - End - #49

Ran marvels at the walls, the patrons, at...everything really, his eyes almost glittering in the soft light of the inn. Upon noticing the barkeep he does a small hop and shimmy to the counter, trying to avoid the patrons as best as possible

My good sir! My friends and I have heard of your expansive establishment! Perhaps a menu could be...procured? Or perhaps what ever the house has to sell in the way of drinks?

Diplomacy
    (1d20+3)[15]
    My Current Works

20. - Top - End - #50

Imp

Maril; Grey Elf

Maril looks around the room as he walks in, finding himself unable to focus on the walls properly he quickly racks his brains for possible magical causes of that, and the same for the various runes around the room. After that he notices the patrons, and their normality. Normality or abnormality I wonder, what a strangely normal tavern

Just after Ran approaches the barkeep and speaks to him, Maril steps into the conversation, "That is, assuming you are the proprietor of this ... establishment, I'd rather we didn't waste our time on the subordinates."

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana for the strange effect(1d20+10)[26]
    Arcana for the runes (1d20+10)[11]

Yeah, Maril didn't take diplomacy, and with a charisma of 8 you know he's gonna end up offending someone sooner or later.
    Last edited by Orran; 2008-10-04 at 04:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Phineas, Raptoran

Phineas, when he finally enters, stands mesmerized by the sides of the room. Paying no attention to the mostly normal patrons and conversation at the bar, he tries to establish why he can't see anything adjacent to the wall. He moves up to a wall to see if he disappears too.

"Hey, Saeloone, Kell! Can you see me?" He tries speaks in a hushed whisper, wary of offending any of the wizards here, but his typically grating voice sounds out regardless.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Saeroone looks about her, sizing up the other groups. She looks over their equipment, weapons, and armor, trying to assess how experienced (or at least, how wealthy) the bulk of the other adventurers are: whether her group is small fry by comparison, or whether they are evenly matched with most of the strangers.

She looks for any unusual races, and anyone openly baring a religious symbol: how many symbols, and to what kind of deities. She also looks to see if they are being watched, if anyone present appears to be taking a special interest in her or her party, and she tries to filter out the idle chatter to see if anyone is talking about them. Ever alert, and ever paranoid.

((OOC: Should spot or listen checks be necessary for any of the above, feel free to roll on my behalf.))

She wanders over to the bar, and is about to ask after the Innkeeper when Phineas calls over to her.

An intelligent question, she thinks. I should like to know the answer myself.

She turns and carefully scrutinises Phineas as he steps towards the edge, seeing if she can keep watching him throughout.
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2008-10-04 at 08:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

The tall, bald bartender smiles friendly at Rang Kang and nods.

"Most certainly.",

he says and begins drawing menu from somewhere under the bar. The mans stops as he hears Maril speak and turns towards the grey elf. He sets his hands (which are covered in tattoos written in simplistic elven alphabet) on the bar and leans forwards.

"And what might your so important and urgent issue be to the propietor?"

he asks with a forced smile and wry voice.

Meanwhile you might notice as Phineas disappears near the walls for a short moment and suddenly comes visible when he takes a few quick steps back and nearly falls down as if he had been pushed back with force.

As Saeroone examines the other groups she finds it a little difficult to tell the wealthiness of other groups. Only two groups have armored figures while the rest do have items that might be magical or not (cloaks, rings...). However with majority of the groups nothing specifically implies that they would be wealthier than your group.

As for races there, there seems to be nothing unusual.

[OOC: As always, anything requiring spot check/anything noticed by only one characer/Any languages that not everyone understands, etc. are PMed]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Phineas, Raptoran

Phineas stumbles out of the area and immediately straightens, visibly annoyed that his image had been besmirched so. He looks for a moment like he's going to walk back in. On second thought, that fellow could probably rip me in half. He takes two smart steps backwards, turns, and walks back to the bar, trying to regain his composure.

"It's invite only," he mutters quietly to the group. His main interest now unavailable to him, Phineas scans the room, trying to decipher what the magical runes are for. A lot of them probably have something to do with the invisibility spell, maybe a few for protection or nullification...

25. - Top - End - #55

Kell walkes over to the bar and realizes that things aren't going to well with the bartender. With a wave of his hand and a small laugh, Kell says;
    "All my friend means is that we have something for the innkeeper. Could you be so kind as to tell us where he is?" He flashes Maril a rather frustrated look.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dlipomacy, don't fail me! (1d20+8)[9] Dangit!
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-10-05 at 02:36 PM.
    As of 9/30/09

26. - Top - End - #56

Imp

Maril; Grey Elf

"Yes of course, no offense meant, it's obvious to me that your either the innkeeper or in a position of power" Maril emphasizes the word power and glances at the man's tatoos "Perhaps you would know what this" Maril gestures at the walls "is hiding. Kell here wanted to see an illusion display."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

"It is just to ensure the privacy of those customers who have the need for it.",

The bartender says to Maril. He then looks at Kell and says

"He is occupied at the moment."

However just as he gets that said you hear another man's voice from behind you.

"Don't worry about it, Tareg. Acacia was just about to leave anyways."

As you turn around you see a table with two people, a divinely beautiful woman in her twenties and a man - not too bad looking himself - in his thirties.

More detailed description/image:

Spoiler
    Show
    I could just try to describe their outlooks but I'd propably base those very significantly on this image anyways so I'll just give you the image directly. Though the man is a bit older than that but not much.

(For anyone interested, the image has been drawn by Vaulderie @ DeviantArt, not by me. A great person, a great artist.)

The woman looks at you and tilts her head to side in predatory fashion with a small smile curling on her lips. She whispers something to the man's ear, stands up and begins to walk toward the door with very feminine sway of her hips.

The man looks at your group and continues

"I'm the owner of this inn. What matters bring the five of you here?"

he asks and makes a small gesture towards his table.

28. - Top - End - #58

Imp

Maril; Grey Elf

Intrigued, Maril offers the man his hand once Acacia has left the building. Taking a seat at the table he waits for the others to introduce themselves.

29. - Top - End - #59

Kell stares transfixed at Acacia for a moment, before regaining his composure and sits down at the wave of the man's hand.
    "Hello sir, I am Kell Stirga, and these are my companions, Saeroone, Phineas Uptyr, Ran Kang, and Maril Starcharmer." He signals twards each of them in turn, "We are here to deliver your package."
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-10-05 at 04:19 PM.
    As of 9/30/09

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

"Nice to meet all of you. My name is Raguel but many refer to me just as the innkeeper."

The innkeeper raises an eyebrow.

"A package? What pack...?"

he begins asking and then his face brightens up to a wide grin.

"The book of visions.",

he says with dreamy tone.

"Give it to me. I believe you were promised some reward by the sender? I'll just make sure that the item is what I'm expecting.",

he continues and casts a spell. His eyes begin to glow with a blue hue.

[OOC: None of you have heard of the book earlier or recognize the spell. Lacking proper knowledge/spellcraft or failed checks.]