New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default buying a new computer, questions

so it's been 8 years since a computer was purchased in my household.
    wow is just the tip of the iceburg.
    so, i was wondering, what's out there and do i need it?

I don't trust the sales guys at the store because i worked retail, i know about sales, but let's call it me being paranoid.

all i'm looking for is something new that has more memory than my wifes cell phone (something this computer doesn't have) and the processing power to take on a game like spore. I'm not an excessive gamer, but spore seems entertaining. outside of moderate game playing all we need is a modem.

so i know i don't need a top of the line new fancy thing, but i know i need new. any sugestions? if i started at top of the line and knocked off what i didn't need how far down could i knock the price? anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: buying a new computer, questions

I'd say Dell is the best. If you are buying new you could only get Vista tho, then you'd have to buy a used later to upgrade to XP. ))
    ~~This post brought to you in part by HALEYINTRAINING~~

Spoiler
    Show
    Haley's Gone Catmuffin!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey! Being like Haley is harder than it looks!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I totally have trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know where they went, but they were Damsel itp gold and Autumn itp bronze.
    Credits: Kwarkpudding (x2) and rtg0922. You both rock!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haleyintraining View Post
    I'd say Dell is the best. If you are buying new you could only get Vista tho, then you'd have to buy a used later to upgrade to XP. ))
    Well, I've personally NEVER heard of anyone who liked Dell after they got one, but YMMV.

My suggestion is HP - they have a lot of both desktops and laptops for VERY reasonable prices, and I've never in my MANY years of owning HPs had a problem with them. And we're an HP family - three HP laptops and three HP desktops among my parents, brother, cousin, aunt, grandma, and I.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-10-16 at 10:00 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Gateway isn't bad, and they're upgradable pretty easily.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been very pleased with my HP. My sister's Dell broke within 2 years.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're looking for desktops, Gateway is the best from my experience. Of course that is assuming you want a PC not a Mac or Linux. Remember Spore does work on a Mac, in fact many of the newer top-notch games are compatible with Macs. Any new desktop will be able to run Spore and all that, its nothing to worry about as long as it is a new line. Basically you want to look at the operating system and given that Windows 7 is coming out in a year or two and how annoying and wasteful Vista is, I would highly recommend not getting a Vista machine. I would suggest either waiting for Windows 7 and hope its better or at least upgrade it to XP immediately or just ignore Windows completely and go with a different operating system.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I recommend XP over Vista, due to various problems that people run into with Vista. Get as much RAM as you can, and definitely get at least a dual-core processor, if not a triple- or quad-core, depending on money constraints. If audio fidelity (for music or gaming) is important to you, get the Creative X-Fi. Those are the important basics to cover, most of everything else boils down to what you want vs. how much money you want to spend.

I'm a pretty experienced IT tech, so if you have any more specific questions, I'd be happy to help you out.

EDIT: To run Spore, the only thing you're going to need besides any basic computer setup nowadays is a halfway decent video card. You can either get that with the computer, or buy it separately for about $75+. If you can install it yourself (or get your geeky cousin to do it), I'd recommend the latter route.
    Last edited by JaxGaret; 2008-10-17 at 04:23 PM.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

8. - Top - End - #8

I don't recommend Dell. The one I had in college had problems almost from the beginning, and with the mess it's caused me, I will never get another one. I have an HP laptop and absolutely love it, so I'd recommend HP (or Compaq, which is made by HP).
    Grinning Purple Gelatinous Cube avatar courtesy of Lord_Herman
    Attacking Cube courtesy of Sampi
    Current avatar courtesy of Rutskarn

My GiTP stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM
    Currently none

Player
    currently none

Creations:
    Fimbulwight

I have my own RB thread right here.

Come and join in the newly minted Fictional Character Contest

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Whatever you decide with, do not get an eMachine. They seem to be gaining popularity, and Best Buy managed to sell my parents 2 in the past few years. They arn't very good.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

10. - Top - End - #10

ElfPirate

My Dell has been in my service for 2 years. It's a few years older than those 2 years though...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'd suggest a Mac.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I am actually in the process of building- nay forging a computer so mighty that it will be able to make Skynet look like DOS. It will make Crysis look like duck hunt. It will make X look like Y!

That's almost always my answer to any such problem/situation. If you buy something that was made in a factory, you get something that was made in a factory. If you build something or have something built, you get exactly what you want. No streamers, no baloney, no extra costs.

While I understand that building your own computer might be a bit outside the realm of expertise for some folk (and that's not a jab, some folk can build a car out of spare parts and some folk can't. Some folk speak French and can cook like crazy as easily as I pour a glass of water. It's just the way of things), it never hurts to go to a small computer shop and see what it would cost to have a human being build exactly what you want just for you.

You want good memory, decent graphics, and no frills? I'm sure they could cook that up for you right quick.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah I would also suggest building your own computer.

It can take some time, but is quite the rewarding experience, and could possibly save you some cash.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

14. - Top - End - #14

If you want a laptop, I suggest trying something similar out before you buy. I lost a hundred dollars or so on a macbook that I bought, then returned when I realized I couldn't stand the ergonomics of it. A good keyboard and trackpoint are essential for me. I don't think everyone else is so picky, though, so YMMV.

15. - Top - End - #15

Well, I recommend shopping around at a number of computer stores before you make your choice so you can compare prices, memory and processor speeds to make sure you get the most bang for your buck. Your best bet is to go with the just out of prime sort of computers because they'll still be functional for almost as long as the top of the line stuff, but they don't come at the premium the newest stuff does. Everything older than brand new tends to be consistantly priced compared to how it performs (so you pay half as much for a computer half as good). I also recommend going somewhere with a good return policy so that if you find a better deal or decide you don't like your computer you can take it back and get a full refund. I also recommend against Mac if you want to keep costs down and don't need one specifically. Although if you want more versatility, getting a Mac seems to be the way to go, it's just pricey because of its sudden popularity.

16. - Top - End - #16

DwarfFighterGuy

ok, so we have our XP all set up.

HP it is.

i want to build it but my wife is a bit concerned about it. i've replaced two modems and three cd drives in different computers, without problems.

so anyway, i know i was kinda vauge, but thanks, i got the info i was looking for, and if anyone wants to add something i'll probably be back here atleast once more before i go to the store.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rayne_dragon View Post
    if you want more versatility, getting a Mac seems to be the way to go, it's just pricey because of its sudden popularity.
    Fixed it. Macs have always been pricey as far as I can remember... even before they got the popularity boost from Vista and the i* products...

18. - Top - End - #18

DwarfFighterGuy

ok, so we were right out the door as soon as i made my last post, and i'm posting from my new computer.

Vista has to go. It is the devil. It's the demon too.

also, Portal seems to be a verry nice game, much cheaper than spore for the moment, but it doesn't want to install. i keep getting the taskbar that says portal is preparing to start then it stops repsponding and closes down. I blame Vista. (it may also be the confusing fact that Portals online system STEAM want's to run and whatnot, but it's a single player game.)

so outside of one of the two games i've been itching to play not working everything else is ok. But i wish i could go back to the plug and play days of games.

19. - Top - End - #19

Vista can be forced to work, but it takes time and lots of patience. Namely, you can disable those stupid little windows that come up every second. As for incompatability, well... I will be buying Windows 7 when it comes out. If you can't get XP and need a good Linux distrib, PM me. Also, HP has great customer service, you should call them whenever you need help, it's how I learned most of what I know about hardware.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you already have a copy of your operating system of choice you have a few options.

For Desktops: You can generally get a much better deal if you buy the parts yourself. Confer with any tech-wiz friends you have to ensure you have a valid configuration, but otherwise this isn't that difficult. You save a lot of money and get a damned good system.

For Laptops: I suggest IBM Lenovo. This will come probably won't come with XP.

Honestly though, go ask someone you really trust and really knows a lot. Most people you ask probably haven't bought more than 2-3 computers in their lifetime and have worked with about as many.
    Last edited by Ponce; 2008-10-20 at 10:28 PM.
    "...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

As I work for IBM, I can hook you up with a good discount through the Employee pricing...let me know, and I'll send you (or anyone else) a link...

That is for either desktops or laptops...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RandomNPC View Post
    ok, so we were right out the door as soon as i made my last post, and i'm posting from my new computer.

Vista has to go. It is the devil. It's the demon too.

also, Portal seems to be a verry nice game, much cheaper than spore for the moment, but it doesn't want to install. i keep getting the taskbar that says portal is preparing to start then it stops repsponding and closes down. I blame Vista. (it may also be the confusing fact that Portals online system STEAM want's to run and whatnot, but it's a single player game.)

so outside of one of the two games i've been itching to play not working everything else is ok. But i wish i could go back to the plug and play days of games.
    Just a question: did you not see the multiple people in this thread, myself included, who warned you not to get Vista?

The next time you ask for advice, you should think about actually listening to it, instead of just wasting other people's time.

EDIT: Sorry if that came out rude. I just hate it when people ask you for help, and then reject your help out of hand.
    Last edited by JaxGaret; 2008-10-21 at 03:24 PM.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JaxGaret View Post
    Just a question: did you not see the multiple people in this thread, myself included, who warned you not to get Vista?

The next time you ask for advice, you should think about actually listening to it, instead of just wasting other people's time.

EDIT: Sorry if that came out rude. I just hate it when people ask you for help, and then reject your help out of hand.
    I assume he couldn't get a XP machine and was stuck with a Vista no matter what he got, there is a lot of that going around. You shouldn't assume he avoided our advice, maybe he just hasn't had time to get XP on it instead.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tataraus View Post
    I assume he couldn't get a XP machine and was stuck with a Vista no matter what he got, there is a lot of that going around.
    There are options if you want to get an XP machine. You just have to know the right place to look. Which is exactly what the point of threads like these are... there are people that know the answers to these questions,

You shouldn't assume he avoided our advice, maybe he just hasn't had time to get XP on it instead.
    Could be. It's possible (or probable) that he won't be able change it to XP, though.
    Last edited by JaxGaret; 2008-10-21 at 05:19 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

What version did you get? If it's Buisness or Ultimate I believe Microsoft will give you XP Professional if you ask for it instead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!