New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: d20 Modern

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default d20 Modern

The Neon Cat

A sign says glowing in a dark, damp, cold New York City street in early-mid November. "Well this is what the sheet says" you guys think to yourselves " I wonder who this guy is". Walking in through the bouncer (your name's are on the list) you see an alive, somewhat dimmed dance club,full of people, with strobe lights on the dance floor and a DJ who's face you can't see. Looking around you see no one you know. The bars to the left, tables and bathroom to the right and the dance floor past the stairs in front of you.

What do you do?

(ooc) do ooc in here and put ooc in front of it, no spoilers that is for dice rolls. i dont care if you type pretty here ( punctuation, spelling,capitals) but do it in ic. also choose a color. i will be doing stuff like this quite a bit. and since i will be gone for awhile start talking to random people(talk for them) and try to meet the other party members always end your ooc too so i know when its ic and ooc (ooc)
    Last edited by drum-n-bass; 2008-08-05 at 07:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: d20 Modern

Charles "Chuck" Roeman, USAF pilot, walks into the club and takes in the music for a few seconds.

It's not really his style. He's more a rock person. He puts it to the back of his mind as he waits to find out what he's been summoned here for.

He decides to head over to the bar. He's a tad thirsty after the subway journey. He's never liked the New York transit system.

Walking over to the bar, he sees the barman.

"Coke, please", he asks.

Once the barman serves him, he moves over to one of the walls and starts to sip the Coke. He wants to be alert when he meets this person.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Daniel Ashkenazi, CIA computer whiz, is completely out of his element. He has little idea why he is here.

Fortunately, he doesn't look out of place. Standing six feet tall, heavily muscled, wearing a leather jacket, and carrying his bike helmet under his arm, he definitely does NOT look like an CIA analyst.

And in his case, his infiltration skills do not come from James Bond movies.

He goes up to the bar, and orders hot chocolate. A favored drink of his, and not an intoxicating one. He then pulls out his cellphone and starts playing Tetris, which is simultaneously entertaining and makes calling for help fairly easy.

(OOC: I take teal as my color.)
    Last edited by Meshakhad; 2008-08-07 at 02:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Druid_lord View Post
    I rise from the depths of hell once more to answer the call of...MESHAKHAD!!!!
    Founder/Rabbi of the Kazumi Kato and Daigo ???? Fanclub

Gordon Freeman avatar by Dr. Bath.

4. - Top - End - #4

Rin Lawley glances over her shoulder as she approaches the discotheque. She is sure she can hear someone following her, but then again that could just be paranoia. Apparently though, she hadn't been paranoid enough - someone had summoned her here, using her real name no less. She takes the note out of her pocket and looks at it again, trying to discern some sign of the writer's intent. There was nothing - not a clue as to who had written it or, more important in Rin's opinion, why.

She tries to remember all the enemies she's made and shudders to recall that several of them would not be satisfied by her mere death. But hiding wouldn't be of any help - that much was apparent. If the note's writer could discover the name which she had kept hidden away for more than four years then he surely knew how to find her as well.

As she passes the bouncer, she scans his face for signs of personal recognition. Finding none, begins to flirt with him. It never hurt to make new friends.

'It must be such hard work, having to do this all day...'

While she keeps up the chatter on automatic, she surreptitiously looks at the list of 'special guests' as she leans into him. Not a single recognizable name - but to be fair, she was listed there under a pseudonym as well.

'I know you'd just be doing your job, but... could you do me a big favor?' She leans in closer 'My ex has been following me around for days. I'm worried he might try something stupid to get me back. So if he starts bothering me, I don't suppose I could signal you or something, could I?'

Now she moves so close he can almost feel her breath on his ear. To his credit, he looks staunchly ahead though the temptation must have been great. Rin's stunning mix of caucasian and asian heritage tended to leave men speechless. She goes on to say. 'I'd be forever in your debt... And I can pay you, in more ways than one,' as she slips him $400 and a knowing wink.

She slides through the crowd, then singles out the bar where an apparently otherwise sane man is drinking hot chocolate and bashing his thumbs in on his phone. She sits down next to him and orders two Heinekens.

'You should try to look less conspicuous,' she comments to him as he looks up from his game. 'It's pretty clear you're here for some reason other than,' she rolls her brown eyes in distain, '"fun."' She smiles disarmingly as she slides a mug toward him, 'You know, a beer wouldn't hurt.'

'By the way, which one of those names on the list are you called?'

[ooc: Dark Red is mine by right!)
    Last edited by Caewil; 2008-08-07 at 09:39 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

(ooc) Apparently I can't edit in rolls

Sleight of Hand: (1d20+12)[32] to slip him some cash as an extra incentive without anyone noticing. (a +2 circumstance bonus to bluff as well?)

Bluff: (1d20+9)[17] to make him believe me.

I really don't think whoever organized this meet would give the real reason to a mere bouncer, unless he was more then he seemed. (/ooc)
    Last edited by Caewil; 2008-08-07 at 09:41 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

David looked up at the woman.

"I'd rather stay sober. The name is David Ashkenazi." He extended his hand to her.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Rin regards the man's hand then takes it.

'Shi Shun Mei,' she says, giving the man her alias written on the list.

'I doubt you're here to Dow Ma Tze*. Any idea who invited us?'

*(ooc)Translation: Looking to get a 'girlfriend'. (/ooc)
    Last edited by Caewil; 2008-08-10 at 03:13 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Roeman overhears some people talking further down the bar.

He tries to listen in on the conversation.

(ooc)I'll take 20 on that Listen check(/ooc)
    Last edited by Silent Hunter; 2008-08-10 at 01:14 PM.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

David switches to Mandarin. He's completely fluent, albeit with a noticeable American accent.

"Already got a girlfriend back in Washington. I'm here because I got this fairly cryptic note. So I decided to investigate."

(OOC: Didn't expect that? I sunk a lot of skill points into Speak Language.)
    Last edited by Meshakhad; 2008-08-11 at 12:48 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Chuck,being in the USAF, notices a couple different men sitting around the club. One is sitting close to the dance floor with a bodyguard and 2 ladies next to him. A second one is sitting in the very far corner of the club, but all you can see is him and nothing else due to darkness. A third one is sitting at a table near a bar with 5 ladies around him and their talking and laughing. The fourth one is on the opposite side of the dance floor as the first one and has a lady with him (presumably his wife). They look different from everybody else due to the fact that they look extremely richer then everyone else.

As Chuck walks over to the 4th man, you see him mention his wife off to the bar. Ahh.. I see you have found me first. Lucky man. Please sit down,we have much to talk about. As his wife comes back with some type of beverage you don't know of (ooc) you could try to make a knowledge wealth check if you want to figure out what it is (ooc) he sits back and starts drinking it, seeming to you like he forgot about you completely.

None of you knowing Chuck previously or meeting him in the bar don't recognize him walking over to the man, so you just think that he is friends with the man.
    Last edited by drum-n-bass; 2008-08-11 at 10:00 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by drum-n-bass View Post
    As Chuck walks over to the 4th man, you see him mention his wife off to the bar. Ahh.. I see you have found me first. Lucky man. Please sit down,we have much to talk about. As his wife comes back with some type of beverage you don't know of (ooc) you could try to make a knowledge wealth check if you want to figure out what it is (ooc) he sits back and starts drinking it, seeming to you like he forgot about you completely.
    Roeman wonders what the drink is. He racks his brains to see if he can recognise it.

(ooc)Knowledge check please. Do I roll or do you?(/ooc)
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

12. - Top - End - #12

(ooc) you guys roll for everything except for random rolls that i want done and i will do them(ooc)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

(ooc) you guys roll for everything except for random rolls that i want done and i will do them(ooc)
    (ooc)Understood. I'm assuming knowledge of drinks is popular culture and Roeman has had a few in his time in the USAF. +1 Intelligence bonus and +5 ranks in Knowledge (Popular Culture)(ooc)

(d20+6)[22]
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

14. - Top - End - #14

Rin raises her eyebrows then replies in Mandarin, 'You speak Chinese well for an American. Interesting.'

She looks around and adds,'You know, we're probably being watched.'

Spoiler
    Show
    I casually try to spot if anyone's watching us.
    spot - (1d20)[2]

Edit: Aaaargh! I take 20.
    Last edited by Caewil; 2008-08-12 at 05:56 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Rin notices a couple different men sitting around the club. One is sitting close to the dance floor with a bodyguard and 2 ladies next to him. A second one is sitting in the very far corner of the club, but all you can see is him and nothing else due to darkness. A third one is sitting at a table near a bar with 5 ladies around him and their talking and laughing.

Chuck you figure out that the drink is a Ţuică which is a traditional Romanian drink, you could smell the plums fumigate off of the drink.

(ooc)what happened to the other players? (ooc)
    Last edited by drum-n-bass; 2008-08-12 at 08:16 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Chuck you figure out that the drink is a Ţuică which is a traditional Romanian drink, you could smell the plums fumigate off of the drink.

(ooc)what happened to the other players? (ooc)
    Ah, Roeman thought, I've drunk that. NATO exercise couple of years back, Romanian bar. Lovely people the Romanians.

Roeman, who had already taken a seat, decided to try and find out why he was here.

"So", he asked the man, "What do you want to talk about?"
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

17. - Top - End - #17

I like that about you always getting to the point.
    I want to talk about this man, in Las Vegas, who has owed me money for at least 3 years now I haven't been able to find this man at all but i suspect you could. I pay reasonably,
    then he starts mumbling while drinking so you can't hear him.

Make a listen check

18. - Top - End - #18

(ooc) Are any of these men watching us? I'm not particularly concerned with what they look like.(/ooc)

19. - Top - End - #19

(ooc) yes they are watching you. very closely(ooc)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

I like that about you always getting to the point.
    I want to talk about this man, in Las Vegas, who has owed me money for at least 3 years now I haven't been able to find this man at all but i suspect you could. I pay reasonably,
    then he starts mumbling while drinking so you can't hear him.

Make a listen check
    Roeman starts to hear him, then notices his him trailing off.

He tries to hear what he's saying.

(d20+1)[18]
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

"Why do you think I switched to Mandarin?" David responded. "I figured that they wouldn't be able to eavesdrop."
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

'They still might, but it's less likely,' Rin corrects him. 'Don't look now but there's at least three men watching us. Some of the women could be too.'

'Which one do you want? The guy with the bodyguard or the one in the corner?'
    Last edited by Caewil; 2008-08-12 at 11:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

David thinks.

"I say we both take the guy with the bodyguards."
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

'Alright. Let's do it now.' Rin states calmly. 'You distract them. Then, I'll come up from behind and disarm the bodyguard.'

(ooc)Is there a restroom? If so, what is the entrance's relative position to the man with the bodyguard? Behind them or within their line of sight?(/ooc)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

David sets down his chocolate rather forcefully, then walked over to the man with the bodyguard, staring at him.

"What'cha looking at?" he asked.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Rin rubs her head and mutters to herself. 'Oh gods, that's not what I meant.'

As David occupies the men's attention, Rin covertly moves through the crowded dance floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    The rulebook describes rules for creating a distraction to hide. (p.64) in this case, Daniel is the distraction, so I shouldn't have to make a bluff check. Obviously anyone else watching me other than those two men can still observe my movements easily.

Hide Check: I take ten, for a result of 14 on each check since I am neither threatened or distracted and am moving at half my speed. I try to move up behind the bodyguard and his client.

27. - Top - End - #27

The bodyguard sees Rin coming, since David put his hot cocoa down so hard that it splashed over the sides and noticed them coming over. He tightens his grip on the pistol in his pocket and talks into an earpiece which sounds like gibberish to you . The man with the girls doesn't seem to notice David since he continues to laugh and talk with the girls at his table, but he moves his blazer slightly to the right so you see a concealed weapon at his right side in a holder.

(ooc) the bathroom is to the right of the man you are talking to. it is hard to get to due to the amount of people crowded in the club.(ooc)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

"Got nothing to say? What, you scared of me?" David leaned forward.

(OOC: Just to clarify, David Ashkenazi has the approximate physique of a biker.)
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

As Rin notices the weaponry on the two men, she begins to worry. Surely they wouldn't be stupid enough to start firing in a crowded nightclub. Then again...

She walks toward David and the bodyguard, putting on her best distressed face.

Spoiler
    Show
    (ooc)What, my hide check doesn't count for anything? My railroad sense is tingling. What is my current position? Am I near the man or still far away? Is there a crowd between the first man with a gun and the second? Also, does this club allow guns? I expect it doesn't.

Myth Weavers seems to be down, so I can't access my character sheet to see what my skill mods are. Damn.

Meshakad, try to make him hit you first. A fistfight is always nice. Drawing a gun in here means you go to jail, I expect. (/ooc)
    Last edited by Caewil; 2008-08-15 at 09:15 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

(ooc)no they didnt really count for anything, your current position is next to david, i find it funny that david is a cia computer whiz with the physique of a biker and drinks hot chocolate. the club allows guns anything else i will say on the club requires a knowledge local, history, popular culture, wealth roll for each knowledge i specified. (ooc)

The man, not threatened by David, says to his girlfriends Lets split, it seems as if we're not wanted here. Getting up he flips the table at David and Rin so the drinks and food fly around him and soem land on him. The bodyguard follows behind him, with a couple more following a couple minutes later.

Thinking to yourselves that this was obviously not the right man what do you do?
    Last edited by drum-n-bass; 2008-08-15 at 10:21 AM.