New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 125 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 113

So if the Chief Warlord is in the stack, Units get even more boosted? That'll be helpful when Parson eventually has to lead a fight.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

This story arc is a shell of what I was expecting. I thought he would make the circuit back to GK after fizzling out at the battle here, or being entangled in one of Jack's illusions. Instead, we see Stanley switched, no, transformed into a true warlord, the load on Jack's mind lifted, and Jillian out of her cell, resisting her weaknesses, Wanda battering the good guys, and Parson insulated from the entire thing. Hopefully all of these parallel events will occasionally alternate.

But, I guess I still enjoy this series.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh ****. You don't mess with the Tool, thats for sure. Warlord with tons of Heavy Bats? No prob, I just use my MacGuffin and PWN you!
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuuki_Jaggar View Post
    Oh ****. You don't mess with the Tool, thats for sure. Warlord with tons of Heavy Bats? No prob, I just use my MacGuffin and PWN you!
    I think the Arkenhammer is closer along the lines of Applied Phlebotinum.

Edit: Okay, I had completely forgotten about Green Rocks, they're almost literally the definition of the Arkentools.
    Last edited by jpnuar1; 2008-10-03 at 08:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zolem View Post
    So continuing with the current trend, it seems that the Foolamancer has been shocked out of his current state of madness. The bats tried to buffer the attack but Stanly's shocking strength overloaded them.
    Indeed! I am charged to observe how the electrifying conflict taking place between those peaks and valleys will be rectified!

Will Stanley be grounded? Or will his short circuit of the field prove victorious?

And that Jillian... her frequency as romantic attractor strikes, perhaps, as something of a charged couple device?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zain_Thorngallow View Post
    Indeed! I am charged to observe how the electrifying conflict taking place between those peaks and valleys will be rectified!

Will Stanley be grounded? Or will his short circuit of the field prove victorious?

And that Jillian... her frequency as romantic attractor strikes, perhaps, as something of a charged couple device?
    ...this entire line is a sparkling joule of conversation.

My question is: does Jack make his Loyalty check now?

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Cadrys View Post
    ...this entire line is a sparkling joule of conversation.

My question is: does Jack make his Loyalty check now?
    In regards to this meme in the thread, I have only one thing to say.

Erg....

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

2 comics in a single day? Awesome.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stay loyal to the tool jack, stay loyal to the tool.

Loved watching transivanos prince getting hammered, literally.
    Memento mori

I see that your Wiki-Fu is strong.
    --The Chuck

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Gloverboy View Post
    Transylvito, Masters of the Zerg Rush?
    It's extra funny considering they got pwned by what amounts to a psionic storm.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jpnuar1
    I think the Arkenhammer is closer along the lines of Applied Phlebotinum.

Edit: Okay, I had completely forgotten about Green Rocks, they're almost literally the definition of the Arkentools.
    Actually that whole heaving lighting trick mentioned on the cast page. So its more of a what-chama-call-it gun.

So... did Ceaser bite it? That would kind of doom their whole "the bats are like advanced infantry/heavies plan" And by kind of doom I mean kill every last one of them.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Stanley's second crowning moment of awesome!
    "Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily!"

Self-proclaimed scaly minion of the Nameless Cleric fan club.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Actually that whole heaving lighting trick mentioned on the cast page. So its more of a what-chama-call-it gun.
    Link? I couldn't find that one...

Anyhow, the same entry also mentions "clarity of purpose" as one of the Arkenhammer's weaknesses. The same seems to apply to the rest of the Arkentools as well. Since we don't necessarily know everything the Arkenhammer can do (or any of the other tools, for that matter), the Green Rock trope still seems to apply best, IMHO.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jpnuar1 View Post
    I'm shocked you couldn't find it-perhaps Chekhov's Gun
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."
    Groucho Marx

Ineptitude - If you can't learn to do something well,
    learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    Stupidity - Never underestimate the power of stupid
    people in large groups.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyhow, the same entry also mentions "clarity of purpose" as one of the Arkenhammer's weaknesses. The same seems to apply to the rest of the Arkentools as well. Since we don't necessarily know everything the Arkenhammer can do (or any of the other tools, for that matter), the Green Rock trope still seems to apply best, IMHO.
    "what-chama-call-it gun" is what I was using as a stand in for chevok's gun but since I'm not sure of the spelling. Anyway the basics of the chevok's gun is something that is mentioned early on, say a gun in a drawer, and then later becomes important, say shooting a would be kidnapper. Since the lighting shot was mentioned early on (in fact it was in a way all before the comic started), and just now became important by obliterating a uber-stack in a single shot.
    Edit: I failed at quoting twice...
    Last edited by Lamech; 2008-10-03 at 10:14 PM.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorTribble View Post
    It's extra funny considering they got pwned by what amounts to a psionic storm.
    Egads, you're right!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Halfling in the Playground

Ooh, this one's making my hair stand on end. This one's accumulating the capacitance for tragedy in two strips (as we're currently alternating between Stanley and Parson).

Edit: I completely called Stanley's AoE. I thought it'd be bigger, though.
    Last edited by Eugenitor; 2008-10-03 at 09:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuperHai2U View Post
    Just registered to say that that was a great reference to Michael Jackson's Beat It in panel 3.

Did caesar bite the dust?
    Probably not - probably would have had a bit more of a reaction from the other warlords if their chief bit the dust.

Still, that probably hurt and those bats are likely toast.

Buuuut with Jack coming back everything's up in the air. He might be forced to do Stanley's bidding by Duty, or (because a captured unit's Loyalty is low) he might betray Stanley... Hopefully he won't do either until the fight in Gobwin Knob is finished. It would be very unsatisfying for Parson to come inches from victory only to be denied by Stanley's death.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Jillian's dead. She just hesitated in front of Stanley.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by ReccaSquirrel View Post
    Jillian's dead. She just hesitated in front of Stanley.
    Loved One as Hostage: Grants +2 circumstance bonus to screw the hero over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

"what-chama-call-it gun" is what I was using as a stand in for chevok's gun but since I'm not sure of the spelling. Anyway the basics of the chevok's gun is something that is mentioned early on, say a gun in a drawer, and then later becomes important, say shooting a would be kidnapper. Since the lighting shot was mentioned early on (in fact it was in a way all before the comic started), and just now became important by obliterating a uber-stack in a single shot.
    Hmm, perhaps we can compromise, and call it a Chekhov's Green Rock? I guess that's what one could call a Green Rock hanging on the wall in scene one.

It still seems a tad odd to me though, that traditional laws of Conservation of Detail would apply normally to plot-specific creations. With a "gun" (or other relatively mundane item, such as a flower pot or a refrigerator, for example), such an item could, theoretically be part of a set without needing to be used later on. But why would the Arkentools be in the story if they weren't there specifically to be used to advance the plot?

It'd be as confusing as if a comic book depicted Lex Luthor receiving a shipment of several large chunks of kryptonite, and then for those chunks never being mentioned again for the remainder of the time line.
    Last edited by jpnuar1; 2008-10-03 at 10:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

So... did Ceaser bite it? That would kind of doom their whole "the bats are like advanced infantry/heavies plan" And by kind of doom I mean kill every last one of them.
    I don't think so. You can see him in the back of the bottom-left panel, still in the air. It looks like he's paralyzed by electricity, though, or something along those lines. Whether he's been taken out for an instant or the rest of the fight, who knows, but he doesn't look dead.

His bats, on the other hand... it's hard to tell, but they look charred and falling from the sky.

The point is moot, though, as clearly the deciding factor in the fight will be whether Jillian stops Stanley or not -- if he breaks out, I doubt they can catch up, and he can just go to Faq. Plus, his wounded dwagons will heal next turn, while the dead bats won't (another major disadvantage to the zerg rush strategy -- 50% loss to your single big dwagon's HP can be healed, 50% loss to your number of low-HP bats generally can't), so they'll have accomplished nothing at all at a pretty high cost.

Not to mention the fact that if she fails for personal reasons the already-suspicious Translvito forces will likely accuse Jillian of treason... which could, depending on how Ansom reacts, end up severing one side or the other from the allied forces.

(Honestly, why did they put someone they didn't fully trust in such an important position? I guess the bats are slower and wouldn't be able to keep up with Stanley if he tries to break through... or they're smaller than her Gwiffons and wouldn't be able to slow him down... or perhaps they didn't expect Stanley to break through Caesar, and intended to put Jillian somewhere where she wouldn't be part of the battle...)

And I wouldn't call the Arkenhammer's power Green Rocks. Aside from creating pigeons, we've had its powers (at least the ones we've seen) enumerated on cast page since the beginning. And, more importantly, its ability to control lightning has been referenced as far back as here, with the CRACK-THOOM! They are closer to Cosmic Keystones, or GottaCatchThemAll... but they don't quite fit either trope, since only Stanley is trying to collect them, and we haven't seen any indication that the world actually relies on them.

Honestly, I think that that's a trope TVtropes is missing -- the 'set' of super-powered magical items that the plot revolves around. It's a very common trope (think of the lesser rings or the Palantiri from Lord of the Rings, say), but all they have is subtropes of it like GottaCatchThemAll or CosmicKeystone.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-10-03 at 10:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

And here I thought last night's Presidential Debate was electrifying... ;)

So now our question is, is Jack going to act on his crush on Jillian? Furthermore, is Jillian in Vinny's stack, or does she get her own? If/when Stanley falls, will Parson have won the siege battles in time?

Oh, and we still aren't quite sure which direction he's going. XD

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

What I want to know is; how many love affairs does this woman have?! I mean seriously!

Awesome page, love the Hammer!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

You know... a lot of you fellow fans keep thinking: "Will Jack betray the Tool, thus letting Julian win."

Well I was thinking this: "Can Julian attack Stanley - which might very well kill or seriously harm Jack - thus stopping him from breaking through. Will she take the shot?"

I think Julian won't strike because she doesn't want to hurt/kill Jack in the process, thus letting Stanley make it to FAQ, and further causing everyone in the Alliance to think she's been playing them for fools, and works for the Tool.

If Stanley just attempts to fly by, and not attack Julian in the process, there's no real "test of loyalty" required on Jack's part. Also, we don't know under what terms Julian and Jack last parted. Maybe Jack is a "man scorned" and has it in for her. If that were the case...
    Last edited by Nargrakhan; 2008-10-03 at 11:10 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nargrakhan View Post
    You know... a lot of you fellow fans keep thinking: "Will Jack betray the Tool, thus letting Julian win."

Well I was thinking this: "Can Julian attack Stanley - which might very well kill or seriously harm Jack - thus stopping him from breaking through. Will she take the shot?"

I think Julian won't strike because she doesn't want to hurt/kill Jack in the process, thus letting Stanley make it to FAQ, and further causing everyone in the Alliance to think she's been playing them for fools, and works for the Tool.

If Stanley just attempts to fly by, and not attack Julian in the process, there's no real "test of loyalty" required on Jack's part. Also, we don't know under what terms Julian and Jack last parted. Maybe Jack is a "man scorned" and has it in for her. If that were the case...
    It could be both; Jillian could lock up in surprise / momentary indecision, and Jack could save her life while allowing Stanley to escape (satisfying both duty and his own desires, since he's technically letting Stanley avoid a risky fight.) From the perspective of the Translvito forces, it'd look like she was spared by the enemy -- so they'd be even more likely to think she was a traitor.

It follows the same logic as what Parson was telling him to do before -- Jack can trick Stanley without violating loyalty (or requiring a loyalty check) by justifying it as being in Stanley's best interests.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-10-03 at 11:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zain_Thorngallow View Post

This string of puns is Leyden us on to the point where only the legendary detective Lieutenant Coulombo can sort it out.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe it's just me, but does it make any sense that the Knight fighting evil Mario traded his axe for a switchblade? Even aside from the basic "what would you rather bring to a fight?" question, he just switched into his opponent's dance style, fighting him in West Side Story fashion.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ragn Charran View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but does it make any sense that the Knight fighting evil Mario traded his axe for a switchblade? Even aside from the basic "what would you rather bring to a fight?" question, he just switched into his opponent's dance style, fighting him in West Side Story fashion.
    Maybe that's a requirement for Dance Fighting?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Man, the art just keeps getting better and better.