New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Deleting old accounts

I was digging through the achives today and I noticed that people who posted a hello and maybe one or two other posts back in 03 still have active accountes.

I was wondering if there are any rules about clearing old accounts? I mean in my mind it is a waste of space keeping memberships open that haven't been touched in 2 years or more in some cases.

Any thoughts? RawBear or any other mod or prehaps even The_Giant himself, what are your thoughts or ideas on this subject?
    Long time game. Usually lurker.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Deleting old accounts

For as far as I know web programming, an account takes a few kB in the database and that's it, so I think it's not that much of a problem.
    Ein gutes Gedicht ist nicht dazu da, die Welt zu verbessern – es ist selbst ein Stück verbesserte Welt.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

GiantITP.com is NOWHERE near the quota of disk space allotted to them, and the user profiles represent a small percentage of that space.

Unused user profiles only cause slowdowns when it comes to looking at the Member lists, and not that much of a slow down, yet. Otherwise, it doesn't really impact the performance of the Board, the way it's designed.

So, there's no real value added by removing the old users, and gives us the ability to say "Hey, friend, welcome back, we missed you" should some return. Not to mention the possibility of alienating lurkers that like to read, but not post.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay. That makes sense thanks for the info. :)

I have learned something new :P
    Long time game. Usually lurker.