New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Reporting threads to moderators?

So, unless I'm more blind than I thought there doesn't seem to be an "official" way of notifying a moderator of a problem.

Now, this board is kind of unique, because given the number of posters around here there seems to be a lot fewer problems than other places - and for that the community should pat themselves on the back.

But every once in a while I'll see a post that I think a mod should see sooner rather than later. Right now, I resort to PMing one of the mods on the board, and hoping that one I picked gets the PM sometime soon. So I have a few questions:

1) Is there any built-in way to alert the mods to a problem?

Assuming the answer to number 1 is "no,"

2) Is there a way to get one? Perhaps it's just an option that's not turned on, for example?

3) Until there is, how do the mods prefer it to be handled? PMs to everybody associated with that board? Ignore it and hope it goes away? Smoke signals? :P

Thanks!

Z
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Reporting threads to moderators?

Hi,

as far as I know, there is no possibility to activate such a feature on this board. I know at least one other forum that uses the same software and doesn't have this feature either. But technically it shouldn't be a problem to add it, atleast no big problem. Of course there's always the possibility that the software's creator doesn't allow it. :-/
    But I think it would be doable in... say... about 15 minutes or less, if one really wanted to do it. At least I think I could do it in that time. Actually I see two ways of doing it. One would be to automatically send PMs to the mods, which wouldn't be a real improvement over sending them manually. The other one would be to automatically send emails to them.

[glow=red,2,300]Master of Dragons[/glow]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog
    So, unless I'm more blind than I thought there doesn't seem to be an "official" way of notifying a moderator of a problem.

Now, this board is kind of unique, because given the number of posters around here there seems to be a lot fewer problems than other places - and for that the community should pat themselves on the back.

But every once in a while I'll see a post that I think a mod should see sooner rather than later. Right now, I resort to PMing one of the mods on the board, and hoping that one I picked gets the PM sometime soon. So I have a few questions:

1) Is there any built-in way to alert the mods to a problem?

Assuming the answer to number 1 is "no,"

2) Is there a way to get one? Perhaps it's just an option that's not turned on, for example?

3) Until there is, how do the mods prefer it to be handled? PMs to everybody associated with that board? Ignore it and hope it goes away? Smoke signals? :P

Thanks!

Z
    The forum doesn't have a "Report this Post" feature. And, in terms of wanting to add features to it, the benefit of having one is outweighed by all the other changes that aren't being made :P

Feel free to message any and all Moderators you want if you see a problem. The mods listed on the forums can react quickly, Rich has complete mod powers to any threads, and in the case of something very offensive, I can get those powers too. We all communicate with each other a great deal, so there's little risk of two people attacking the same issue at the same time.

In addition, many of us list instant messenger accounts in your profiles, so if you see us online, you can message us there, if we're not staring at the message boards at the time.

Of course, there's an argument to be made for: If complaining involves jumping through hoops, people will have to question whether or not those hoops are worth jumping through. :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks, RB. I didn't think it was possible, but wanted to make sure. As I said, I see very few problems (though I certainly don't read the majority of the stuff around here any more).

I'll continue to PM a Mod or two on the rare times I see something.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a way of alerting a moderator "officially" to a problem post. And I believe most official ones work by just sending a PM anyway.

At the moment I think it is preferable to send a PM to your "favourite" Mod in charge of the board the post is on. You may also want to consider the time of day for your Mod choice. I live in England, so am very unlikely to be around to spot your PM at 9pm EST because I'm likely to be well tucked up in bed by then!

As you say though, there are far fewer problems on this site than there are on others. Unless I'm different from the other Mods there is only the occaisional PM alerting us to a problem. When do get them, we normally deal with them fairly rapidly.

*EDIT* I o b v i o s l y t y p e t o o s l o w . . . :P