New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re-release the Beast! [PrC Redux]

Weretouched Master (Redux)

Ajaan the Lion, a weretouched master in his alternate form in the pre-destroyed forests of Shello.

HD: d8

Requirements
    Race: Shifter
    BAB: +5
    Skills: Knowledge (nature) 4 ranks, Survival 4 ranks
    Feats: Tiger Blooded, Any shifter feat.
    Maneuvers: Ability to use 3rd level maneuvers of the Tiger Claw discipline, including at least one strike and stance.

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Handle Animal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Martial Lore, Move Silently, Spot, Survival, Swim and Tumble
    Skill-points per level: 4+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
    1st|+0|+2|+2|+0|Weretouched I
    2nd|+1|+3|+3|+0|Wild empathy
    3rd|+2|+3|+3|+1|Warrior fang strike
    4th|+3|+4|+4|+1|Bonus shifter feat
    5th|+3|+4|+4|+1|Weretouched II
    6th|+4|+5|+5|+2|Stance of the predator
    7th|+5|+5|+5|+2|Frightful shifting
    8th|+6|+6|+6|+2|Bonus shifter feat
    9th|+6|+6|+6|+3|Vicious hunter strike
    10th|+7|+7|+7|+3|Alternate form
    [/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
    1st|0|0|0
    2nd|1|1|0
    3rd|0|0|1
    4th|1|0|0
    5th|0|1|0
    6th|1|0|0
    7th|0|0|1
    8th|1|1|0
    9th|0|0|0
    10th|1|0|0
    [/table]

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Weretouched masters gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers: At each even level, a weretouched master gains new maneuvers known from the Tiger Claw discipline and one more discipline based on their alternate animal form(chosen at first level). You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full weretouched master levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
    At levels 2nd, 5th and 8th, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

{table=head]Animal Aspect|Discipline
    Bear|Stone Dragon
    Deinonychus|Iron Heart
    Dire Ape|White Raven
    Dire Bat|Shadow Hand
    Dire Boar|Stone Dragon
    Dire Wolf|White Raven
    Dire Piranha|Ocean Soul
    Rat|Shadow Hand
    Shark|Ocean Soul
    Tiger|Iron Heart
    Wolverine|Stone Dragon
    [/table]

Stances: At 3rd and 7th levels, you learn a new martial stance from the Tiger Claw discipline or the discipline associated with your animal(see above). You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Weretouched I (Su): At 1st level, a weretouched master chooses one animal type that represents his lycanthrope heritage: Bear, Deinonychus, Ape, Bat, Wolf, Piranha, Rat, Shark, Tiger or Wolverine. When shifting, his appearance changes to strongly resemble a hybrid lycanthrope of his chosen type: His facial features become more bestial, fur or scales sprouts on his body and he grows a short tail. In addition, he gains one of the following extra benefits each time he shifts, depending on his lycanthrope ancestor.
    Ape: While shifting, the weretouched master gains a +2 bonus to Str and manifests thicker, leathery skin which provides a +2 natural armor bonus to AC, +1 for every four character levels he has. If they already have the beasthide shifter trait, their natural armor bonus increases by an additional 2.
    Bat: While shifting, the weretouched master gains a +2 bonus to Dex and manifests strong webbing on his arms and fingers which can be used to propel them through the air. They gain a fly speed equal to their base land speed(with average maneuverability), with an additional 5 ft. increase to this speed for every four character levels he has. If he already has the swiftwing shifter trait, their fly speed increases by 20 feet and their maneuverability increases to good.
    Bear or Tiger: While shifting, the weretouched master gains a +2 bonus to Str and manifests claws that can be used as natural weapons. These claws deal 1d4 points of damage, plus an additional +1 for every four character levels he has, on a successful attack. If he already has the razorclaw shifter trait or the Improved Natural Attack feat, his claw damage increases by one die size.
    Boar or Wolverine: While shifting, the weretouched master gains a +2 to Con and manifests tusks (for boars) or fangs (for wolverines) that can be used as a natural weapon, dealing 1d6 points of damage, plus an additional +1 for every four character levels he has, on a successful gore or bite attack. If he already has the longooth shifter trait or the Improved Natural Attack feat, his gore or bite damage increases by one die size.
    Deinonychus: While shifting, the weretouched master gains a +2 to Str and manifests a pair of curved talons on his feet which can be used as a single natural weapon, which deals 1d6 points of damage, plus an additional +1 for every four character levels he has, on a successful talon attack. If the character already has the razorclaw shifter trait or Improved Natural Attack feat the talon attack increases one die size.
    Piranha or Shark: While shifting, the weretouched master gains a +2 to Con and manifests webbing on their hands, feet and underarms that can be used for underwater propulsion. They gain a swim speed equal to their base land speed, with an additional 5ft. increase to this speed for every four character levels he has. If he already has the truedive shifter trait, his swim speed increases by 30 feet.
    Rat or Wolf: While shifting, the weretouched master gains a +2 to Dex and manifests fangs that can be used as a natural weapon, dealing 1d6 points of damage, plus an additional +1 for every four character levels he has, on a successful bite attack. If he already has the longtooth shifter trait or the Improved Natural Attack feat, his bite damage increases by one die size.

Wild Empathy (Ex): Like a druid or ranger, a weretouched master gains the ability to use body language, vocalizations, and demeanor to improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions like a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. The weretouched master rolls a d20 and adds his weretouched master level and his Charisma modifier to determine the wild empathy check result. If he has druid or ranger levels, he adds his weretouched master level to those levels to determine his total modifier. If the animal is of the same kind as the weretouched master lycanthrope ancestor, he gains a +4 bonus on this check.
    To use wild empathy, the weretouched master and the animal must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of each other under normal conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute. As with influencing people, it might take more or less time.
    A weretouched master can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Int score of 1 or 2, but he takes a -4 penalty on the check.

Warrior Fang Strike (Ex): At 3rd level, you gain a martial strike unique to this class. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is an 4th level strike, and belongs to the Tiger Claw discipline. This strike can only be used by a shifter that is shifting. When you initiate this strike, make a melee attack against and opponent as a standard action, if the strike hits it deals an additional amount of damage equal to 4d6 plus another 1d6 for every two weretouched master level you possess and 1d4 Con damage from grievous bleeding. A Fort save (DC 14+Str modifier) negates the Con damage, and anyone immune to critical hits is immune to the Con damage.

Bonus Shifter Feats: At 4th level and again at 8th, a weretouched master gains a bonus [shifter] feat. Most shifter feats are found in the Eberron Campaign Setting, or Races of Eberron. A weretouched master must meet the feat's prerequisites to learn it.

Weretouched II (Su): At 5th level, a weretouched master gains the scent ability. In addition, he manifests special benefits derived from his lycanthrope ancestor when he is shifting.
    Ape - Powerful Limbs: The weretouched master is considered to be wielding any one-handed weapon as though it were in two hands, including bonuses to damage from the Power Attack feat and Str modifier to damage.
    Bat - Blindsense: The weretouched master uses echolocation to pinpoint creatures within 40 feet. Opponents still have total concealment against the weretouched master unless it can actually see them.
    Bear - Improved Grab: To use this ability, the weretouched master must hit with a claw attack. He can then attempt to start a grapple as a gree action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
    Boar - Feirce Will: The weretouched master gains a +4 bonus to Will saving throws.
    Deinonychus - Pounce: If the weretouched master charges a foe, he can make a full attack.
    Piranha - Rage: If the weretouched master takes damage, he flies into a berserk rage on his next turn, biting madly until either he or his opponent is dead, or until his shifting ends. He gains a +2 to Str, +2 to Con and a -2 to AC while raging. He cannot end his rage voluntarily, but unlike a barbarian, he is not winded after his rage ends.
    Rat - Climb Speed: The weretouched master manifests a climb speed of 20 feet. In addition, he can use his Dex modifier instead of his Str modififer for Climb checks. If he already has the cliffwalk shifter trait, his climb speed increases by 20 feet.
    Shark - Blindsense: The weretouched master can locate creatures underwater within a 30-foot radius. This ability works only when the weretouched master is underwater.
    Tiger - Pounce: If the weretouched master charges a foe, he can make a full attack.
    Wolf - Trip: If the weretouched master hits with a bite attack, he can attempt to trip the opponent as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. IF the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the weretouched master.
    Wolverine - Rage: If the weretouched master takes damage, he flies into a berserk rage on his next turn, biting madly until either he or his opponent is dead, or until his shifting ends. He gains a +2 to Str, +2 to Con and a -2 to AC while raging. He cannot end his rage voluntarily, but unlike a barbarian, he is not winded after his rage ends.

Stance of the Predator (Ex): At 6th level, the weretouched master gains a special stance that doesn't bring the animal out in them, but makes their human blood more animalistic with deadly hunters instincts. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any Tiger Claw stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. While in this stance, the weretouched master gains a bonus to Listen and Spot checks equal to their weretouched master level, the range of their scent is doubled, gains a +2 bonus to any stats that are increased by their shifter trait, and the amount of time of shifting you are allowed is doubled.
    Lastly, the weretouched master gains a bonus to all Reflex saves equal to their Wis modifier.

Frightful Shifting (Ex): At 7th level, a weretouched master gains a unsettling presence when he uses his shifting ability or his alternate form ability. When he attacks, or charges, opponents within 30 feet who witness his attack may become shaken for 5d6 rounds.

Vicious Hunter Strike (Ex): At 9th level, you gain the ultimate strike granted by this class, capable of rendering a foe crippled or worse. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is an 7th level strike, and belongs to the Tiger Claw discipline. This strike is initiated as a full-round action and requires a full attack. The number of attacks that strike and deal their normal damage to the target determines the extra damage and penalties, as shown on the table below. Any natural weapons used with this strike gain a +4 bonus to their attack rolls.
    {table=head]Hits|Damage|Penalties
    1|5d6|1 Str damage, 1 Dex damage
    2|10d6|1d4 Str damage, 1d4 Dex damage
    3|15d6|1d6 Str damage, 1d6 Dex damage
    4|20d6|2d4 Str damage, 2d4 Dex damage
    [/table]

Alternate Form (Su): At 10th level, a weretouched master can assume the animal form or hybrid form related to his lycanthropic heritage(the same animal selected at 1st level). Instead of using his normal shifting ability, he can shift into his animal form as though using the polymorph spell on himself, though his gear is not affected, he does not regain hit points from changing forms, and only the specific animal form indicated for the lycanthropic heritage can be assumed.
    The weretouched master does not assume the ability scores of the animal, but instead adds the animal's ability adjustments (see the following table) to his own ability scores. A weretouched master can also assume a bipedal hybrid form with prehensile hands and animalistic features. In hybrid form he can use weapons and armor(which grow with the shifter should the animal be larger than medium).
    A slain weretouched master reverts to his humanoid form, although he remains dead. Separated body parts retain their animal form, however.
    {table=head]Animal|Ability Adjustments(Animal and Hybrid forms)
    Bear|Str +16, Dex +2, Con +8
    Deinonychus|Str +8, Dex +4, Con +8
    Dire Ape|Str +12, Dex +4, Con +4
    Dire Bat|Str +6, Dex +12, Con +6
    Dire Boar|Str +16, Con +6
    Dire Wolf|Str +14, Dex +4, Con +6
    Dire Piranha|Str +12, Dex +2, Con +8
    Rat|Dex +16, Con +2*
    Shark|Str +6, Dex +4, Con +2
    Tiger|Str +12, Dex +4, Con +6
    Wolverine|Str +4, Dex +4, Con +8
    [/table]
    * Rat aspect weretouched masters also gain a +8 racial bonus on all Hide, Move Silently and Sleight of hand checks, on top of the bonuses granted by the dire rat shape.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-06-02 at 11:56 PM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Re-release the Beast! [PrC Redux]

I'm not sure how the Shifter race works, but isn't a +8 Str modifier a little overpowered? And frankly, the Bear and Tiger forms trump the Rat form even counting the bonuses it gets for being small. is there anything you can do for the Rat?

Aside from that, love the flavor of the class. If I still played, I'd try to incorporate one of these guys in a campaign.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thegurullamen View Post
    I'm not sure how the Shifter race works, but isn't a +8 Str modifier a little overpowered? And frankly, the Bear and Tiger forms trump the Rat form even counting the bonuses it gets for being small. is there anything you can do for the Rat?

Aside from that, love the flavor of the class. If I still played, I'd try to incorporate one of these guys in a campaign.
    It modifies the Str score, so an actual ability modifier of +4. And I'm trying to think of something to augment the rat, but I'm coming up a bit short at the moment.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    It modifies the Str score, so an actual ability modifier of +4. And I'm trying to think of something to augment the rat, but I'm coming up a bit short at the moment.
    Yes, but it gives a +16 Str boost, hence the +8 modifier in my original post. Very ouch.

Since the rat is Shadow Hand affiliated, dexterous and climb-y, I say give it the ability to fight while in an opponent's square and make the opponent have to Spot them to attack. Give various +'s and -'s based on this concept.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, but it gives a +16 Str boost, hence the +8 modifier in my original post. Very ouch.
    Oh right, hurdur.

Since the rat is Shadow Hand affiliated, dexterous and climb-y, I say give it the ability to fight while in an opponent's square and make the opponent have to Spot them to attack. Give various +'s and -'s based on this concept.
    Good idea.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Well, I like it better than the original Weretouched Master, but I always thought that the original was pretty ho-hum.

Any thought to something like a Horse Weretouched Master?

You know, something for those Longstride shifters. Keep improving the movement speed, maybe Trample/Fell Trample...

Or perhaps, since you have two swimming ones, an Eagle Master for the Swiftwing shifters? Just a thought.
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2008-10-10 at 02:21 AM.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Did you miss something on the Frightful Shifting Class Feature?
    Like the DC or the normal text for a Frightful anything?
    Side Note: Why no Lion based one?
    An the duration to the Alt form?
    Last edited by LunarWolfPrime; 2009-11-04 at 03:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

I assume Lion = Tiger.

Anyway, on the Rat, you might also give them Dex to damage. I mean, Shadow Blade might already give them this, but it would be fitting.