New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default The Most Merciful Thing (Game Thread)

As the sun begins it's descent in the sky, the screams emanating from the church grow in number and volume. Nis'Amaine rushes toward the front door of the church, and strains to open the firmly secured door. Lily remains a few feet back, horror in her eyes.

Unbeknownst to the pair, Will watches from a block away, wrapped securely in his cloak, nearly invisible to the crowd wrought with panic.
    Last edited by Terraspaz; 2008-10-09 at 08:24 PM.
    --Killin' 'em softly with bard songs

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Most Merciful Thing (Game Thread)

Nis'Amain: Human

Nis'Amain struggles at the door futily for a moment, then takes a step back, looking for another way to get in. "Help! Can someone help get this door open?!"
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Lily

Lily walks up to Nis'Amain and stands, confused and wide eyed.

What happened...?

She reaches up and tugs on Nis'Amain's arm. "What are we going to do?"

Worry and confusion show on Lily's face as she stares expectantly at the older woman.
    Excellent avatar courtesy of Evil_Pacifist.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

While most of the crowd disperses with great speed, nearly 10 or 15 stand back, watching the events as they unfold. As Lily and Nis look at each other with urgency, a figure steps forward from the crowd. The individual bears a greatsword, of notable quality yet still showing its age. A fearsome dog loyally waits at his side.
    Last edited by Terraspaz; 2008-10-09 at 10:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Remus Rutgerson

A veritable mountain of a man stepped forward - at six-foot-three, and weighing in at two-hundred and sixty pounds, Remus made his powerful Rotweiller look like a mere puppy by comparison. His long, black hair was neatly kept, and his nearly perfect face was covered in a coarse stubble. Standing out from his chiseled features were piercing ice-blue eyes, quickly and intelligently examining the scene. His deep voice rumbled in a low murmur to his companion.

"Stay."

Approaching the door, the man's massive hands grasped the handle, his muscles bulging as he strained against it, shifting his weight to force them open.

Spoiler
    Show
    strength check to force the door. What's it made of? Wood? Metal? Are there windows or any other entrances? (1d20+5)[16] I'll make a couple more checks, just in case. Remus wouldn't give up at first tug. (1d20+5)[15] (1d20+5)[23] (1d20+5)[14] (1d20+5)[17] (1d20+5)[14]
    Last edited by knewsom; 2008-10-10 at 01:11 AM.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

William Pickman

Through the chaotic sensory inputs from the scene that plays out before you, you get the eerie feeling that someone may be watching you. Especially the young Miss Kerrigan gets the distinct feeling of being watched by someone or something in the shadows...

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide check (1d20+21)[36]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

As you strain and heave against the stout wooden door, you feel it tremble and shift, though no visible distance. You feel it would open if it it was hit just a little harder...

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 would do it, if you find no other way
    Last edited by Terraspaz; 2008-10-10 at 08:24 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The massive warrior regarded the door carefully before setting down his pack and setting himself in a more advantageous position to break it down, then had at it once more, determined to see it open.

Spoiler
    Show
    taking 20 then!
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Repeatedly you slam into the door, hearing a faint but noticable cracking with each blow. After two minutes, you crash your shoulder into the door, and tear the door off the hinges. However, the elation of success is quickly forgotten.

The sanctuary of the church of Pelor lies inside. A large stone-walled room, rows of pews are lined up all the way down the room. Light beaming through small windows in the roof gleam off the walls, adorned with bright, vivid tapestries depicting the splendor of Pelor. Intermittent, between the tapestries, the streaks of light glint on smears of red, still creeping down the walls.

At the front of the room, you (Remus, Lily, Nis) see an altar, with a man slumped on top of it, face down.
    Last edited by Terraspaz; 2008-10-10 at 11:53 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis'Amain stares up at the enormous man pounding against the door, then blinks and remembers the urgency of the situation as the door splinters inward.
    "Thanks..." She mummers hurridly, then runs into the temple, her long copper hair whipping behind her. When she sees the man on the alter, she lets out a frightened yelp and motions with her hand, allowing the heaing energies to flow through her. She then checks the man to see if he's still alive.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal light wounds (1d8+7)[12]
    Thanks for the help there, knewsom!
    As of 9/30/09

11. - Top - End - #11

Lily

Lily watches the enormous man smash the door, fear and urgency plainly visible on her face. When the door finally crumples, she rushes into the room after Nis'Amain and stares at the walls.
    Blood? Is that blood on the walls? Why is there blood?

Her breathing quickens, and then she notices the figure slumped over the alter. Lily rushes up and stands at Nis'Amain's shoulder as the cleric tends to the man. She is visibly worried and confused, but does not seem particularly frightened.
    What happened in here? What could have done this? She looks around the room, and then, suddenly curious, begins to look for signs of a cause, using her innate talents.

Spoiler
    Show

Lily is going to search for signs of anything.
    Search: (1d20+3)[18]
    Spot: (1d20+2)[12]
    Listen: (1d20+2)[11]

Cast Detect Magic (multiple times is needed. I want to cover the entire church.)
    Spellcraft (multiple, if needed): (1d20+11)[20]
    (1d20+11)[23]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Nis:

You rush up to the altar, and channel the healing grace of pelor into the unconscious cleric. You recognize him as a man named Tyrio, a Servant for barely two years. Abruptly, the man's eyes fly open, and he leans up from the altar, wincing with pain.

"Wha... Oh, thank Pelor, Nis, you're safe." His face, showing a moment of relief, sombers immediately as he looks around the sanctuary. "Oh gods..." Tyrio slinks to the floor, looking at the massacre around the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll a spellcraft check, with a +2 circumstance

Lily:

As you enter the sanctuary, you see the fallen figures of several Pelorian clerics between the pews... no less than 3. Dressed in once-white robes, the bodies are covered in deep red, motionless and lifeless. As you continue to gaze around the room, your inner arcane senses notice a strong magical force centered on the altar. From the school of evocation, you can't quite decipher what it is, but it radiates a moderate power.
    Last edited by Terraspaz; 2008-10-10 at 04:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

"Tyrio? Tyrio?!"
    Nis'Amain gives Tyrio a small shake, stying to rouse him long enough to ask what's going on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft: (1d20+4)[18]
    As of 9/30/09

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Amidst sobs, Tyrio motions around the room at the ensuing catastrophe. Barely intelligible, Tyrio mumbles "How are the others, Nis? Are the ones in the rear of the temple safe?"

15. - Top - End - #15

"There were others? Do you remeber how many?"
    While (if) Tyrio responds, Nis'Amain begins looking through the pews for any other bodies or surviors.
    "Lilly, is there anyone else back there?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, didn't see the +2. That should be a 20 spellcraft then.
    As of 9/30/09

16. - Top - End - #16

Lily

Lily approaches the alter where Nis'Amain and the male priest are carefully, and stops a short distance away. She speaks quietly, not making eye contact.

"There are three people back there." She motions behind her at the pews. "They're all dead." She looks up and frowns deeply."And there's something going on with the alter. Some magic. I'll try to figure it out."

Spoiler
    Show

Detect Magic focused on the alter.
    Spellcraft: (1d20+11)[19]

Also, Lily will use both of her invocations, See the Unseen and Entropic Warding. She can see invisible now.

17. - Top - End - #17

"D-dead?... Are you sure? Tyrio, I'll be right back."
    Very worridly, Nis'Amain walkes quietly down the pews. When she arrives at one of the bodies, she runs over and quickly tries to check for a pulse of some kind.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal Check for pulse: (1d20+13)[15]
    As of 9/30/09

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Remus

The massive warrior strode through the doorway, his booted feet crushing the remnants of the smashed door as he carefully took in the scene before him. He checked the dead priests to see if any were Davin before making his way to the altar. His deep voice summoned forth once more, dark and soft as raven's down.

"Tyrio... Davin asked for my help. Tell me what happened here."

Spoiler
    Show
    spot check. (1d20+6)[10]
    Runa Redgrave

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"Most of the acolytes were back there. Sunset was approaching, so they were readying their closing devotionals. We also had a traveler recovering from an arduous journey, he's been resting in the back since yesterday." As Tyrio continues, he hesitates at the entrance of Remus, taking a moment to collect himself.

Any once-present trace of joviality vanishes from Tyrio's face as he resumes. "Brother Davin and I were preparing the altar for the evening service, when this ball came rolling in, under the pews, and went in that door to the left of the altar. A boy came in behind, looking for it. We told him where it went, and he went in to find it. Seconds later, we heard a terrifying shriek.

"Brother Davin and I ran after the child, but were confronted with at least 5 individuals, dressed in leather and masks the blackest of night. They appeared, as if from nowhere and attacked us with speed I've rarely seen. I... I don't remember much after that."

Tyrio's eyes look up, as two more figures emerge into the doorway. The first you see is a dignified looking man, with hair tied back in a ponytail, and a jet-black chain shirt. The second, a youthful figure with red hair is dressed in the same white Pelorian garb as you've begun to see common in this temple. With a moment of speechlessness, the young man then turns, and flees the temple with great speed, sprinting down the road amidst sobs.

Nis
    Spoiler
    Show
    You detect no pulse in any of the individuals you check.

Lily
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your enhanced vision reveals nothing new to your eyes.
    Despite your focus, the exact nature of the magic around the altar eludes you.

John
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to act.

All
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, as a reminder, the map is located at http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...1cjsHTg&hl=en#
    Last edited by Terraspaz; 2008-10-12 at 03:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

[B]Jonathan Crowley[B]
    An attack? So soon? Hmmm, Hopefully, Davin can enlighten me.
    Jonathan watches the boy run away sobbing, and mutters to himself
    And nothing of value was lost...
    He then turns to the others in the group, eying each one carefully, seeking to assess their strengths at first glance
    Alright, I am Jonathan Crowley. I have been summoned to assist Brother Davin in matters regarding the Occult. If You could be so kind as to point him in my direction? Also, because you are a startlingly appropriate group for this...Has this temple been cleared of attackers? If not He points now at the musclebound manYou seem appropriate for the duty. Quickly, if you would, round up any survivors, and bring them to me, in addition to the bodies of any of the attackers. I'll need to identify them, and the sooner I can begin my works, the better it is for all of us. Also, he now holds up a oddly...Foreign coin Would anyone know the region of origin for this currency? It would be immensely valuable to me.
    He now walks over to Tyrio, and kneels quietly beside the man, whispering in his ear
    What happened?! Davin requested I hurry, but this, This I did not expect.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Again, I realize it's a inappropriate way to act, especially in group oriented games, and in no way do I honestly expect anyone to obey, or like, Jonathan, but being a antisocial scholar is part of his character, and he's the kind of person who, walking into a room ,assumes He should be giving commands. Do with that what you like, and It will go away, assumably whilst he gains trust, or some odd compassion for the group, but for a short while, this is him
    Last edited by Shhhh!; 2008-10-12 at 05:40 PM. Reason: To clarify

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"We've suspected we were being watched for a while. Turns out we were right. The spies, bandits, murderers... whoever they are, attacked us today." Tyrio adds "I hope they're gone now, but in a way, I hope they still linger. Justice ought come to these marauders fierce and swift." He sternly looks around the room at each of you.
    Last edited by Terraspaz; 2008-10-13 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Grammar

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Remus

The massive warrior slowly approached the smaller man, clearly intruding into his space, bending down until his face was inches from his. His deep voice soft and menacing, his ice-blue eyes piercing.

"I don't take orders from you, little man. If you want to look for survivors, lead the way. If there are attackers still here, then they will die."

Turning towards a door leading deeper into the sanctuary, he whistled for Dain. Once the rotweiller had joined him, he stood by the door, and gestured to Jonathan to go first.
    Runa Redgrave

23. - Top - End - #23

Nis'Amain Fisthal

Nis'amain's hands tighten into fists as she withdraws from the bodies, tears on her face and in her green eyes. Having nothing much to say, she moves to follow the enormous man and his dog, silently cursing the unseen attackers and gripping her spear tighly.
    As of 9/30/09

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jonathan Crowley
    Jonathan smirks quietly as the large man breathes down his neck, waiting for him to finish his piece and walk to the door.
    Tell me, Little man, do you know the difference between the Cult of Skaran, and it's sister component, The Skysons? Or, perhaps, you could tell me the primary difference between Devils serving Baalzebub, and Devils serving Dispater? Hmmm, No, those are odd little ditties, surely out of your specialty. Perhaps, then, you could enlighten us on the primary method for dealing with Illithid incursions? And Aboleth slaver-cults? The world is a dark, vile place, and I have made it my duty to study those spots of shadow, and learn their weaknesses. I was summoned, as I always am, to deal with a threat of this sort. An Unknown entity has done this!
    Jonathan waves his arm across the pews with the Dead priests concealed within, and points at the walls covered in blood.
    Unlike you, I Have spent my life studying, learning, and finding ways to finish threats of this sort, Not lifting weights and swinging swords. My place not at the front. and I will not take a spot there. However....
    He walks slowly to the Large, musclebound man now, obviously intruding on his personal space, and places his hand on the bulging beasts shoulder.
    If you're afraid..., Well, I'm not defenseless. I've learned a fair deal over the years. I can freeze a man to his spot with a touch, summon hellbred beasts to torment anything he tries to sic on me, or make him so weak he could barely lift his arm, let alone swing a sword. So, feel free to lead the way, and I'll be right behind you, making sure you don't die from a misplaced knife. So, for your sake, Don't take my orders, but lead to prove how much stronger than me you really are.
    Jonathan Says all of this in a quiet voice, not out of fear, but out of an ages old hatred for brutes that try to intimidate with strength alone. Ignoring any protests of Remus, He then walks slowly to stand beside the female cleric, and asks
    I don't suppose you would have any idea as to what's going on here? If you know, I would like to know the region the foreigners you've been receiving are coming from? I'm sure you've suffered a shock, but haste is key right now

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Remus

Oh, if only he knew...

The monstrous man's lips curled into a grin as he chuckled, his deep voice echoing eerily though the hall as the chuckles turned to a deep belly-laugh.

"Ohhh, the little man thinks I'm as foolish as I am strong. With one word he tells us of his great power, and with another he begs my protection."

He snorted, the sound echoing through his barrel-chest like the sound of a stallion readying for a charge. He approached Jonathan and tousled his hair as he spoke.

"You've got stones, Crowley. I respect that. But I take orders from no man. If you beg to differ, it'll be YOUR blood scattered on the walls. I will go first, of course. It's obvious I'm more suited to the task."

With one massive, meaty hand, he drew the greatsword hanging on his back, its ancient steel ringing in the dark church. With the other, he opened the door, boldly, ready for whatever challenge awaits...
    Last edited by knewsom; 2008-10-14 at 06:06 PM.
    Runa Redgrave

26. - Top - End - #26

Nis'Amain Fistal

"I don't... I have no idea. This temple has been my my work... my home over the past few years. When I heards screams coming from here I just... I didn't think... maybe we should call the guards."
    A knot gathers in her throat at the end of her story. Once she can speak again, she whispers, "Gods, I've never seen so much death in one place..."

It dawns on her that the two men won't be able so see past their differences. "Oh, why now? We're never going to make it out if we bicker," She thinks.
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-10-14 at 06:21 PM.
    As of 9/30/09

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo44 View Post
    "Gods, I've never seen so much death in one place..."
    Hand still on the door as he's about to open it, Remus narrowed his gaze and nodded to Nis'Amain, his deep voice hushed.

"Then steel yourself, lady... for more is sure to come."
    Runa Redgrave

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jonathan Crowley
    Jonathan smooths his hair, before turning to the cleric
    No, the guards are useful, but only after the...offenders have been identified. The last thing I, We, need, is a bunch of incompetent mooks running about causing difficulties. After I have seen the culprits, you may call them, if you must, but until then, Let me go about my works uninterrupted.
    He then moves behind the hulking warrior, forming an arcane sigil with his hand.
    Let it begin, then.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Readied action to cast Summon monster II if I detect a multitude(3) of enemies. I'll decide on the monster after I find out if it gets cast

29. - Top - End - #29

Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis swallows hard, wishing she could do the same to her fears.
    "Alright, for Pelor." She breathes, and steps behind John
    As of 9/30/09

30. - Top - End - #30

Lily

Lily sighs in consternation as she walks towards where the group is, stopping behind them. Stupid old people. Arguing when we have important things to do. I'd better stay with them. They might start fighting each other instead of...whatever else.

She readies herself behind Nis'Amain.