New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Anteheroes: Rogue Agent

chka-chka-chka-chka-chka...

The helicopter lifts off into the distance, until you can hear yourselves think again. You're at a helicopter pad in the Norfolk Naval Operating Base, with the rest of a team that you have not even seen but glimpses of before now. Each of you have been equipped with a PDAphone that connects back to base; you are to use it rarely and change your Operating Codes daily, as directed in the digital files they gave you.

Here's the information they've given you:
    - Aeolus was last spotted heading south from the DC Border. He could be headed anywhere.
    - You are not expected to engage Aeolus and Helena unless in vastly tactically superior circumstances or if necessary to protect the wider populous. Your first goal is to gain information on them.
    - A rundown of the Arcanum's 'usual suspects' has turned up very little, but there is some evidence that Operation Joshua has workers across the Chesapeake Bay in the Eastern Peninsula, around the town of Accomac. It is thought that locals may be involved. You are advised to be extremely careful on infiltration efforts - panic is the last thing we want to occur.
    - Your cover story: You are Smithsonian Institute researchers interested in studying the area's rich native history and liminal architectual style - how the area appears to be simultaneously a hundred year backwater (do not use those words) and somewhat modern.
    - You will be given a beaten-up looking minivan to drive in. It is perfectly serviceable, we just took a hammer and paint thinner to a new one.
    - You've been given Government Expense Accounts, with an unlimited budget, but a cap on total weekly transactions of $10,000. The budget is already painful right now, getting food and board is fine, but you will be paying every dime for frivolous expenses.

You may be occasionally contacted or aided by the Arcanum, but expect nothing. We want as much radio silence as possible.

After introducing yourselves (if you choose), you can try to immediately locate your Naval Intelligence contact, Rear Admiral Zebediah Harrison for further information and probing for assistance - however, you may immediately depart in the beaten up minivan just across the field. Hitting the Navy Exchange for anything you need is also fine, but you recall the hulking, overmuscled woman agent who handed you your credit cards glowering with the words, "We will beat every unnecessary dime back out of you."

What are your next actions?

{{Other options I did not think of are also fine.}}

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Anteheroes: Rogue Agent

Selim Bahadur stood among the rest of the group, hands stuffed in the pockets of his worn jeans. He looked like a ratty teenager, with a hole filled hoodie and stained sneakers, hardly a Smithsonian researcher. He supposed he could be a member of the camera crew, or some other kind of support personnel.

Selim looked about, sizing up each person. He hoped each would be up to combating this threat. Individuals like Aeolus were very dangerous...

"My friends, he began, "we should spend little time in idleness. The trail grows cold as we stand here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Sean hops off the helicopter, and pauses to adjust his winter jacket and hat to deal with the storm-like winds caused by the helicopters rotors. Turning to the rest of the group, and specifically to Selim, he says:

"Well, cold trails and all are bad...But working together with a bunch of people of I've never seen on a %$@&ing government job is a bit of a recipe for trouble in my book. I've barely seen most of ya, so please tell me... who are you all?
    Last edited by Khane; 2008-10-09 at 12:59 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Clark stretches for a moment. He looks almost stereotypically like a college professor in both garb and appearance. He seems to be in his mid to late 40s, but is oddly quite chipper and energetic. His hair is mostly gray with bits of black still speckled amongst it, as if fighting off inevitability, one strand at a time. His clothes are nothing to note, he's dressed in clothes that are in some vague area between casual and professional, which just play up the professor persona he practically seems to ooze.

Clark gives a slightly worried smile as he surveys the team he was placed with "Well... Smithsonian, eh? Not a bad cover I suppose, though not, perhaps, the one this particular team is visually suited for. But we all have to make due with what we can get."

One of Clark's eyebrows raises quizzically for a moment as his eyes pass over Harley.

"Well, anyways, we probably ought to go meet with that intelligence contact. No sense in rushing off without the most information we can get."

"While we walk there, perhaps we should discuss our individual talents so we can work better as a team. I am something of a scholar on the subject of spirits, and as might be expected, I am a fairly talented channeler. That's about it really, my skill set changes depending on what spirit feels like humoring me at the time."
    Last edited by Username; 2008-10-09 at 01:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

"Oh, and I can read minds. I suppose the telepathy is pretty important. Haha. Can also establish mental links, faster than a phone, but a bit invasive of mental privacy."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daren steps forward slowly, his face is calm and expressionless while his eyes dart about, taking everything in. He's wearing a brilliantly white suit that just screams for attention. Quietly, he says:

"Name's Daren," his eyes land on Sean. "and I believe it's rude to ask for an introduction before giving one yourself." He looks around and sighs. "Then again, these are hardly pleasant times."

He walks over to Clark to shake his hand, "I can control shadow to various degrees."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Clark smiles and shakes Daren's hand. "Hmm, yes, something about the blindingly white suit just screamed "Shadows" to me."

Privately, he attempts to form a mental bond with Daren so as to address him privately (the psychic contact is open and does not give off hostile intent). If he accepts, he hears this, as well as feeling Clark's emotional state (curious): "Well, well. A fellow channeler? Seems odd though... integrated rather than overlaid. To be honest, you puzzle me."

(future psychic conversation will use <> to distinguish it. Also, the link is two-way, I presume a minute can pass to establish it without any fanfare. So you can return the psychic conversation.)

EDIT: DOH! Got the two shadow guys confused. Oh well, Your guy is probably chocked full of shadow too. Though I was thinking of Gardener and Harley with the implanted shadow spirit at the time. So slight adjustment, he sends the message to both of them. Likewise, he looked quizzically at both of them.

EDIT EDIT: Actually, scratch that, message sent only to Harley. Sorry for the mix up.
    Last edited by Username; 2008-10-09 at 02:42 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Sean looks at Daren, chuckles, and says:
    Well, I've never really been known my pleasant demeanor. Muh name's Sean, I'm prolly here 'cause I'm such a great shot. Oh, and maybe 'cuz I have a way of getting around that might be considered a little unusual.
    Sean then teleports behind Daren, taps him on the shoulder, and grins.

Oh, and Prof? I'd like to see one of those mind-phones too, if y'don't mind. Could be a right lifesaver, yah?
    Last edited by Khane; 2008-10-09 at 02:05 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Clark looks at Sean and attempts to establish a separate mental bond with him.

If he accepts (emotion: neutral):<It's not a physical object, in case you were thinking literally when you said that. And honestly now, we're working as part of a secret supernatural government task force. Like teleportation is all that surprising.>
    Last edited by Username; 2008-10-09 at 02:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Sean accepts the bond, and responds in turn:

(emotion: amused):<I'm rude, not stupid man. And I just figured a bit of show'd be better then 'tell, gets point across faster yeah? 'Sides, I wanted to make 'im jump!>
    Last edited by Khane; 2008-10-09 at 02:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

To Sean (emotion: slightly exasperated): <Because attempting to startle someone with supernatural powers is both a wise idea and a great way to make a first impression. A bit of caution doesn't hurt, and we're probably going to need a lot of it on this mission.>

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    To Sean (emotion: slightly exasperated): <Because attempting to startle someone with supernatural powers is both a wise idea and a great way to make a first impression. A bit of caution doesn't hurt, and we're probably going to need a lot of it on this mission.>
    (emotion: Neutral):<I said I was rude, not stupid. Seeing how my new playmates react to the unexpected isn't a bad idea, eh? Just last job, someone fried 'mah witness 'cause they got a tad jumpy. Not gonna let that 'appen again, alrighty?>

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Harley looks up at Sean's teleporting and mutters under his breath "Good trick."

He speaks up, addressing everyone. "The name's Harley. I got my share of tricks with shadow, an' I'm pretty handy with a knife. As to what to do first, the trail's already cold. We're not going to find them. If we screw up, they're going to find us. So let's get all the information we can before we start chasing a Special."

He turns to Clark specifically. "I take it you saw Penny's marks. I'm not sure I can explain about us, but we help each other out."

He speaks to the group once more. "Anyway, this has to be the worst cover ever. I mean, do I look like someone who knows about architecture? I guess I could be the driver..."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, I know "liminal architecture" is language structures. But Harley doesn't.
    Username: Harley is the one with the integrated spirit. I can't see Daren's sheet anywhere, but I can't imagine we have the same concept here.
    Just the seed of an idea.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Harley responds down the link. <Yeah, it's not what most people call "channeling". There's a lot more stuff that's never worked before, but between this and prison, I'd still take this. Anyway, Penny says you're OK, so I guess you're OK. These link thingies really do go both ways.>

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Slightly disgruntled, Selim said, "I am Selim Bahadur. I have skill with a blade and ancient Arabic magic at my disposal. Now that we are thoroughly acquainted, can we please get to business? If you must talk, you can do so in the car. We gain nothing from lingering here."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Kasrkin View Post
    Slightly disgruntled, Selim said, "I am Selim Bahadur. I have skill with a blade and ancient Arabic magic at my disposal. Now that we are thoroughly acquainted, can we please get to business? If you must talk, you can do so in the car. We gain nothing from lingering here."
    "Weren't you listening, man? We're chasing a High and a Special. We're bugs on the windscreen if we just go following them. Let's get the intel here, then head over to that town and see what we can see. But let's know what's in the box before we stick our hands in."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

"Agreed, we need to get informed about the area. Once we meet with the intelligence contact I intend to question the local spirits. They tend to be reasonably informed on nearby supernatural events."
    Last edited by Username; 2008-10-09 at 03:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amused at Sean's teleport Daren chuckles before saying, "I like that, bet it's dead useful in tough situations. Can you bring other people along with you, or is it limited to yourself?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

"Whether we are pursuing them or gathering information, the task is best accomplished somewhere else than this helipad."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Turning to Daren:

Yeah, it's a nice trick to have in a pinch. I can only move one body a time, and even though movin mahself is easy as runnin', anything else takes a bit mo' work.

Smiling as he turns back to the group, Sean shugs loudly.

I'm with Harvey and the prof. We couldn't put a dent in those two, so I think we'd be better off just doin' a bit 'uv detective work. We some inkling 'uv what we're up against, but I always like to know all of what I'm about to get mahself into, yeah? Besides, mah partner 'asn't introduced 'erself yet. Wouldn't it just be so rude to leave her on the pad?

Sean chuckles a little and walks over to his partner, Shelley.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Selim just sighed and waited for them to get done.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Sean, are you making fun of my accent again? Fer th'love of Mum's home-cooked steak, knock that off or I'll break out the rhyming slang." The lanky woman in the back seat grumps in a rather more subdued London accent, leaning over to cuff Sean in the side before turning to address the rest of the group.

"Soo.....introductions, izzit? Hate the things myself, but if you insist, 'Professor Clark.'" She looks into the distance and pantomimes picking up a phone and holding to the ear.

"Shelly Clarkson speaking, of Clarkson and Tecker Investigations. No problem's too weird, no job too sensitive. Privacy guaranteed with reasonable daily rates."

After a pause for laughter or comment, she continues. "Sean here's my partner. He fixes the paperwork and I do the phones. He does backup, I get up in somebody's face, laugh in it when they try to knife me, and then punch 'em. Good cop bad cop...weeell, that depends on th'time of the month, if you ken." Shelley taps the crescent moon logo on her windbreaker.

"Bahadur, was it? Quit your grumping, too. Or possibly cut down on your morning coffee. We can walk and talk at the same time...not as if five minutes makes that much difference what with this pair of needles and the size of the haystack. I'm all for shaking down the good Admiral Harrison a bit before we go, anyways. Been a while since I was prowling around on this side of the pond, yeh kin never know too much about a situation. Nice to have the magic-slingers on our side, f'r once. "

Shelley sticks her hands in her jean pockets and lopes off in the appropriate direction to go meet with Rear Admiral Zebediah.

Avatar adopted, courtesy of Mr_Saturn

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Smiling, "You have to admire a woman who gets right to business."

He then heads off in the same direction as Shelly.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Clark nods "Onward and forward."

He proceeds to follow Shelly.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Hahahahahaha, you noticed! Damn! Well, let's get down to business. Our friend Selim here seems a tad antsy.

Sean adjusts his hat and picks up his backpack before starting off behind Shelley.

Eesh, I swear. First we get called at 3 in the morning, then they tell us to get over to the states and don't even pay fer our bleepin ticket? Government jobs are always so cheap, and dangerous too. I'd just decline if you asked me, but no, the gorilla girl always has to take the job...

Sean continues to complain as he continues down the road.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Harley gives gives Shelley a small grin. "Now, you I can work with. Gotta say, though, not many people laugh when *I* try and knife 'em. Mostly, they bleed. Anyway, let's find out what the hell's going on." He follows the group.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Selim was the last to follow, but follow he did. "Suruden ayrilan koyunu kurt kapar. " The sheep separated from the flock is eaten by the wolf. Fate had bound him, however shortly, to these people.

Besides, they did have a point. "Bilmemek ayip degil, sormamak ayip." It is not disgraceful to ask, it is disgraceful not to ask.

Having satisfied himself with Turkish wisdom, he trailed behind them.
    Last edited by Neon Knight; 2008-10-09 at 11:16 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

You go inside and pass through a number of white halls and atriums in the main complex; in your attire, you get plenty of strange looks. Almost everyone there is wearing Service Khaki or their Dress Whites. Still, they are largely too busy to pay much attention to you. You follow the signs pointing to the local Office of Naval Intelligence; some of them make reference to a 'Commodore Heap', but nothing specific about any Rear Admirals.

"You seem to be a little bit lost," a voice behind you notes.

He's a taller man, in his early sixties, with a long, rectangular (but jovial) face. His narrow eyes are bright and smiling and quick - he's appraising you all very quickly.

Wearing dress whites, it's hard to not notice the two stars resting on his shoulderboards, or the black nametag above the large number of ribbons and badges. "HARRISON"

"Apologies for being late, I was only just informed by my aide that you had landed." He nods to a man behind him with Captain's insignia, who smiles sheepishly. "Completely my fault."

"Let's get you inside, the Commodore and I have some things to discuss with you." He waves you into another hall with a keypad and a fingerprint scanner; he presses his finger down onto the pad and quickly types in a long string of numbers - it must have been at least 9 or 10.

The door swings open, and you are marched into a small, dark war room illuminated by CRT monitors, showing various maps of Earth from above, images of Helena the Rose and Aeolus, and walls and walls of text.

A middle-aged woman in dress whites salutes the Admiral. She wears the one-star of a Commodore and her tag says "HEAP."

Harrison waves it off immediately. "At ease, Kaitlyn."

"Aye, sir, and welcome to you, Task Force Nine. We received a new report while you were in transit here. Aeolus was spotted in a rest stop yesterday - with someone else."

"And I don't mean her." She motions towards the pink-haired, beautiful woman on the monitor screens. Her amber eyes are gaunt and filled with rage. "Those were the best images we were able to take of her with our Ethersense Cameras when we had her in captivity earlier this year. As you know, most people can't even see her; she is a fey."

"Which means that a normal camera cannot capture her image either."

"But here is what we found today, just on luck." She taps a key and the widescreen on the wall lights up... with a picture of an enlisted sailor in white jumper uniform hugging what appeared to be his mother. An orange datestamp marks the bottom right, but in the bottom left... an out-of-focus mulatto man beside a short brunette woman wearing glasses. They were getting into a car together.

"We have at least three to worry about now; she might be a hostage, we do not know. Our people are running image enhancement and trying to match her face to our databanks, but this was a film image, and is hard to enhance properly."

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Wait wait wait," Daren spoke up, sounding thoroughly nonplussed."Task Force Nine? Is that some sort of military code or does that mean there were eight groups before us that failed?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Sean, upon entering the presence of the admiral, immediately assumes a more formal and businesslike air, and his wide grin turns into an unreadable line.

"I believe he is simply saying that we're the ninth unit of this operation. Other teams are undoubtedly working on the same objective, we are not alone."

Turning to address the admiral, he says:

"Anyways, Admiral, do we know where and when the picture was taken? We understand that the town of Accomac, Virginia has been singled out for association with the organization "Project Joshua". It would greatly help our investigation to know why, and if this photograph was taken near the location it may improve our investigation efforts."
    Last edited by Khane; 2008-10-10 at 01:32 PM.